Another How Old thread?

LSUmiss

DIS Veteran
A little background...We enjoy going to WDW frequently. DS has been at 7 mos, 14 mos & 17 mos. We are in the process of trying to decide when our next trip should be. We want to go sooner than later, but there are some things we would like to be different before we go again. I know everything kid is different but would like to hear other ppl’s experiences. I want DS to be able to sleep in a regular bed with one of us (not a crib), be able to listen to directions better like to hold hands, and better at least counter service. At what age were your kids able to do this? I’m realistic & not looking for an easy trip but just a few things to be easier.

I took my son for the first time at age 4 years 3 months.
He definitely had opinions about what he liked & what he didn’t. He needed a stroller & wanted to be picked up & held in longer lines. He would cover his ears at loud shows or rides.
I remember it being a great trip.
We were very much immersed in Disney movies, etc in those years & to this very day he is a Disney fan (28 y/o).

A little background...We enjoy going to WDW frequently. DS has been at 7 mos, 14 mos & 17 mos. We are in the process of trying to decide when our next trip should be. We want to go sooner than later, but there are some things we would like to be different before we go again. I know everything kid is different but would like to hear other ppl’s experiences. I want DS to be able to sleep in a regular bed with one of us (not a crib), be able to listen to directions better like to hold hands, and better at least counter service. At what age were your kids able to do this? I’m realistic & not looking for an easy trip but just a few things to be easier.
My children stopped sleeping in a crib between the ages of 2 and 3 and then it was into their own beds. My criteria for being single bed ready was the child's ability to climb out of the crib in the middle of the night, LOL. By four, pretty sure both had no problems with hand holding and listening carefully for traffic commands. All, were finished with strollers by 3 y/o if nothing else because the newly invented umbrella strollers couldn't hold the weight. The youngest spent time in a back carrier when we went on camping trips but in the city it was walk and rest.

Thanks everyone. I was hoping to hear earlier. We will probably go when he’s 2.5 so I’ll just have to see where we are with it then. We have been a few times so know how much of a challenge it can be at times. Was hoping for a slightly easier trip next time. Mostly not needing to rent a crib & bring something much stuff. Think by 2.5 that part will at least be easier.

I have taken both my kids at the age of 2.5 and they both did great. They were both sleeping a regular bed by then and could follow directions fairly well and were told they could walk and hold hands or be in the stroller. My younger one when she was that age was a little more stubborn about directions and strollers but not to the point that it was stressful. I thoroughly enjoyed both trips when my girls were that age. I would recommend going at that age. I will say that I am pretty go with the flow and normal daily routines get thrown out the window when on vacation and I just don't worry about sleep/eating schedules etc.

We went the week before our son turned 3 and he did fine with the things you mentioned. He wasn’t in bed with us, though. We put him in the other bed in the room. He loved it! We are going back in May when he will be 4.5.

(By the way, I totally get it. We took him at 18 months and they just need so much stuff!!)

Eh my kid is 3 and 39845023984750932478509324875 times a day I ask where her listening ears are...

If you want one more freebie trip I'd try between 2.5 and 3.

We didn't have an issue at 20 months but mine sleeps wherever, or I should say slept...now she won't stroller nap or even nap.

I would say at least 3 and closer to 4 would be ideal for the criteria you listed.

In my personal experience (have 3 kids and have taken them to Disney at all different ages and stages), between 18 months and 3 is likely the hardest age to take them (for all different reasons). After that, it just gets easier the older they get with 4-6 really being the sweet spot for magic.

my boys are 5&8 and they still suck at pretty much all of that:rotfl2: My kids quit napping completely around 2.5. Neither of them wanted to be in a stroller at all after 18 months. My kids legit fought for 2 solid days over who was going to hold my RIGHT hand for pete's sake. So they are good with hand holding at least. As long as its my right one apparently. All through MK and AK we had to fight over who was holding who's hand..

DD will be 2 a few days before our November trip. It hasn't gotten easier for us yet lol. As far as the sleeping, I put her in bed with me on the nearly 6 month old trip....mainly because she was always up and I just wanted a few minutes of sleep! DD doesn't sleep at home either though...even now at 23 months, I'm lucky if she stays asleep for 30 minutes at a time.DD now definitely understands more now at almost 23 months.....she speaks well and clearly and can have conversations with us. She tells me what she wants/ needs. DS did not do this until nearly age 3. As far as being easier, after the July trip at nearly 20 months, her fit throwing is a bit worse. She is better out than at home though. DS10 probably got a little easier around age 4, but I think DD will be easier a bit sooner than he was. Good luck, I hope all goes well!

Last edited:
My girls both went a week or two before they turned 3 and had no issue with any of the things you mentioned. The big variable that DID cause us issues, though, were potties. My daughter had been potty trained (of her own volition) for 11 months when we went to Disney and using the potties there was a nightmare. She was TERRIFIED of the auto flushing toilets (and no, they weren't flushing with her on them, they were just loud), had accident after accident, wouldn't poop on public toilets, etc. So, my point is, you never know what the variable may be.

Its the terrible 2s, the terrorist 3s and the f u fours. As my kids have gone thru the stages this has been the most accurate description I could come up with. At 2 they don't follow directions well, and can't communicate well enough to tell you exactly why they are mad. at 3 they know exactly what they want and expect you to know too, and if you give them the yellow cup they asked for they will throw a fit because you were supposed to know they actually wanted the red one even tho they told you know when you offered the red one. at 4 they know exactly what you want and have the words to tell you in no uncertain terms what they want, and the tenacity to throw such an epic tantrum you will make you wonder why you ever had kids in the first place, all the while giving you the face that is the little kid equivalent to a giant middle finger.

I love my spawn, I really do.

We took DS for his first trip at 2.5, and he did great! Well, other than being scared of all the rides and fireworks, but he still had a blast. It was probably one of our most stress-free trips. He was actually much more difficult when we went again a year later.

I know it's not particularly helpful, but I really do think it just depends on the kid. Some go through the "terrible-twos" and trying to take them to Disney in the middle of that would be a nightmare. For both of mine, I found 3-4 to be more difficult, and 2 was actually the sweet spot. But, I'd say go when it works out for your family to go, and you'll make the best of it, regardless.

my boys are 5&8 and they still suck at pretty much all of that:rotfl2: My kids quit napping completely around 2.5. Neither of them wanted to be in a stroller at all after 18 months. My kids legit fought for 2 solid days over who was going to hold my RIGHT hand for pete's sake. So they are good with hand holding at least. As long as its my right one apparently. All through MK and AK we had to fight over who was holding who's hand..
My kids were 14 and 10 on our last trip and fought constantly who was going to ride with me, but they fight with each other often, drove me nuts.

I don't think you can really predict that stuff. I have four kids and all have had different most difficult ages. We last did Disney when my oldest was four and it was such a great age. My second oldest was almost two and it was mostly good except she wouldn't sit for shows. But she stroller napped and changing diapers was a lot easier than the trip we made to DC with her a year later after she was potty trained. However she doesn't remember it.
I'm cheap so I'd probably go right before three so you can avoid paying. I'd also do lots of buffets.

For our first he was like this at 2.5ish.

For our twin girls after him they were closer to 3.5-4

Easy question 4!!! Before that they are just too young to walk it and pay attention well. At 4 my kids could do all the walking and listen well enough that I didn’t worry that they might run off. They did table service well and didn’t always need that afternoon nap and were not on rigid schedules anymore. They were also tall enough to ride most everything we would have wanted them to ride so it is a real fun age.

As other people have mentioned, I would go before he turns 3 to get in one last free ticket trip, especially since you enjoy going. Start putting in the work now practicing the behaviors you want and explaining your expectations. Make up reasons to go to the store or for a walk where your only real goal is to practice listening/handholding/ holding on to the cart...and be prepared to spend a good amount of time correcting and encouraging. The same goes for dining out. My older son was 2.5 when his little brother was born. While I was pregnant, I realized I couldn't be chasing after a toddler while the baby was sitting in the cart, so I set out to work on the issue before the baby came.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter