• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Another money grab...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently you were not on here when mass hysteria broke out because people can't take their kids to Trander Sam's at midnight to hang out in the bar. (No I am not making that up, there were posters on the DIS just hysterical that Disney had the daring idea to open ONE adults only location for limited hours. After all their precious chlld was so special that he/she should be allowed to do everything adults do LOL!)

As a parent, I am all for Disney adding a few adult-only venues. I think the cruise line strikes a good balance. I would be disappointed, though, if Disney were to ban children from all signatures. One of my favorite things about WDW is that we can take our kids to a nice restaurant and order a nice meal with our children, instead of having to leave them with a babysitter. And my kids do enjoy it too; they like to dress up in their nice button down shirts and order a steak. Disney cruise is the same way; even though the specialty restaurants are adult only, they do provide a refined dining experience for families somewhere between a TS and a signature in the main dining rooms. Not sure if signatures are what you had in mind when you said obnoxious parents want their kids everywhere, but I have definitely heard that expressed many times on this forum by others who think you are a bad parent if you bring a child to a signatures and "spoil" the atmosphere for "everyone" else who is trying to have a romantic or quiet adult meal.

I am ALL FOR an adults-only place! One of the reasons we like where we stay in Orlando is because there are fewer younger children. No, I'm not anti-child and won't look at someone cross eyed because they have a child with them! I would just appreciate a quieter, more relaxing time. I have children, all adults now, and I did all the parents-with-young-kids thing for many, many years. I'm at a place in my life now where I do like some quiet and slower pace. Now, when my grandchildren start arriving I will be back in the thick of the action, but I still wouldn't take them everywhere, let alone a bar at midnight! It's ok for adults to do adult things and kids will be ok if they can't participate in everything a parent does. JMO.

BTW, my next trip in September is just hubby and I. We empty nest-ers still enjoy Disney!

Hmm I'm struggling to word it but I don't think you quite understood what my statement was.

I didn't suggest not wearing a seatbelt automatically you would be injured or injury others. I said in regards to an accident and the stats are overwhelmingly that wearing a seatbelt saves lives-that's in an accident which is something that can occur in an instant.

Either way I'm more in line with NuJoy's viewpoint in the conversation you brought up.

I understand, its a fair and logical point, no disagreement here. Seat belts do save lives for those that are in an accident, I wear one and make sure all my kids do too!

I'm not so sure. There are definitely those super obnoxious parents who want their kids everywhere, even when the kids won't enjoy it. And WDW did just close all those kid clubs, so you can't drop them there on the way to an adult meal. So just looking at WDW, I would think no way. But we've been on the Disney cruises and the adults-only areas are very popular there. And enforced. There are 1-2 restaurants per ship, a coffee shop, and a pool deck. All child-free. The option of peace and quiet was really nice, parent or not.

Oh my, the hysteria when V&A changed their age restrictions to 10 and over, or at least that was the age i remember. People who would never even bring themselves were peeved.

Apparently you were not on here when mass hysteria broke out because people can't take their kids to Trander Sam's at midnight to hang out in the bar. (No I am not making that up, there were posters on the DIS just hysterical that Disney had the daring idea to open ONE adults only location for limited hours. After all their precious chlld was so special that he/she should be allowed to do everything adults do LOL!)

Yup. Crazy, right?

As a parent, I am all for Disney adding a few adult-only venues. I think the cruise line strikes a good balance. I would be disappointed, though, if Disney were to ban children from all signatures. One of my favorite things about WDW is that we can take our kids to a nice restaurant and order a nice meal with our children, instead of having to leave them with a babysitter. And my kids do enjoy it too; they like to dress up in their nice button down shirts and order a steak. Disney cruise is the same way; even though the specialty restaurants are adult only, they do provide a refined dining experience for families somewhere between a TS and a signature in the main dining rooms. Not sure if signatures are what you had in mind when you said obnoxious parents want their kids everywhere, but I have definitely heard that expressed many times on this forum by others who think you are a bad parent if you bring a child to a signatures and "spoil" the atmosphere for "everyone" else who is trying to have a romantic or quiet adult meal.

Nope. Never even crossed my mind that children should be banned from all Signatures. That was never my intention with my statement. I only stated that I wish Disney would have an adults only (or maybe even 2) restaurants. Nice for when we are there sans kids. I do not think that kids spoil the atmosphere at Signatures. It will never happen. And that's completely okay. Won't stop me from going without the kids. Disney is my happy place.

I have 4 words for you:
Bloody Mary - Dawa Bar
:love:
Been there for a while.
Oh yes! I spent the past two Mother's Days in AK and grabbed a bloody Mary before brunch at Tusker House. I wish they would bring the signature ones back but the bartender said it got difficult for the kitchen to keep up with all the different garnishes. I'm thinking the TH kitchen staff provides them and they have a lot to do in the restaurant to begin with. I'm not complaining about the current one with bacon, mind you!

I happened to be watching a video guide to Dinoland yesterday and it showed two different kiosks/CSs there that already serve alcohol. Which makes it the original complaint that they should keep alcohol to the table service places confusing.

I happened to be watching a video guide to Dinoland yesterday and it showed two different kiosks/CSs there that already serve alcohol. Which makes it the original complaint that they should keep alcohol to the table service places confusing.

Not confusing... Moot

What “problems” have lounges in parks caused thus far? I think you are greatly overestimating the negative impact. Relax, have some wine. All will be okay if other people have a drink (or two).worry about yourself, don’t partake if you’re not interested. Carry on.

IMHO
Who has the time to get drunk at Disney?
We plan and plan, make the best of our time.
A drink here or there to catch our breath and take it in is the most we can do, because we have too many other things to fit in.

It's a lot more difficult to find air conditioned seating at Animal Kingdom than other parks, and beer has been available at their counter service restaurants for years. I'm happy to see they are introducing an indoor place to rest and have a drink (even though this spot has nothing that appeals to me). That said, I'm not spending all that money to sit in a bar drinking all afternoon.

It's a lot more difficult to find air conditioned seating at Animal Kingdom than other parks, and beer has been available at their counter service restaurants for years. I'm happy to see they are introducing an indoor place to rest and have a drink (even though this spot has nothing that appeals to me). That said, I'm not spending all that money to sit in a bar drinking all afternoon.

Agree this spot does not seem super appealing - just so you know, there is another indoor lounge (Nomad Lounge at the Tiffins restaurant) where the drinks and decor are actually very nice. Getting out of the heat at AK is a definite must, since for whatever reason, that always seems to be the hottest park.

I think if people had the money to travel with nannys they'd be less inclined to complain about adult only areas. You never hear people complain about it on cruise ships because DCL has spaces for kids.
I doubt parents are thinking my child is so precious they should be allowed to do everything adults do . Parents choose WDW because everything is family oriented. If WDW wants adult venues then the should open back up the kids clubs. I'm glad they were open my kids were little.

As a daughter of an alcoholic I would have been pretty stressed as a child if we went to WDW with the prevalence of alcohol at the parks as it is today. For many families, alcohol accessibility and consumption does not improve their vacation. Trust me on this one.

Inga

As a daughter of an alcoholic I would have been pretty stressed as a child if we went to WDW with the prevalence of alcohol at the parks as it is today. For many families, alcohol accessibility and consumption does not improve their vacation. Trust me on this one.

Inga
Not all people with alcoholics feel that way. My mom grew up with her parents as alcoholics and wouldn't have cared one bit about presence of alchohol. I as a grandchild of alcoholics didn't care either. I as an adult of a still living alcoholic grandmother who falls down, breaking bones because she's under a state of intoxication and doesn't even realize she broke a bone don't care either. My grandmother's behavior isn't related to the presence of alcohol inside the parks. What she would do is get alcohol elsewhere and get to drinking long long before stepping foot inside the park. YMMV.

Not all people with alcoholics feel that way. My mom grew up with her parents as alcoholics and wouldn't have cared one bit about presence of alchohol. I as a grandchild of alcoholics didn't care either. I as an adult of a still living alcoholic grandmother who falls down, breaking bones because she's under a state of intoxication and doesn't even realize she broke a bone don't care either. My grandmother's behavior isn't related to the presence of alcohol inside the parks. What she would do is get alcohol elsewhere and get to drinking long long before stepping foot inside the park. YMMV.
This. I also have a couple alcoholics in my family. They will find and consume alcohol regardless of how prevalent it is in the parks, as most true alcoholics probably would. Increasing the presence would have absolutely zero affect on them.

Inga
I just want to say how truly sorry I am for your pain. It is absolutely not fair to you that your dad had a condition making the approach to family vacations so cautious and guarded. Adverse childhood trauma is devastating and follows a person for life. Psychologist are now attributing it to autoimmune diseases in people much later in their lives.

Inga
Another daughter of an alcoholic.

Thankfully, I realize that whether there was alcohol available or not, my father would have found a way to drink. The stress it caused in my life didn't diminish because we were somewhere without alcohol. We either simply didn't go, which would have meant no Disney. Or he would have brought it with him in some way.

We didn't go anyway. We never had the money to spend on a vacation like Disney.

And whether they allowed alcohol or not, my father (and mother) would have found a way to get it into the park. Mom wasn't an alcoholic, but she would have realized that Dad would have been in withdrawal without it.

As a daughter of an alcoholic, you should probably join a group or at least talk to someone about it. His(her) drinking wasn't your fault and you had no control over it. It may be easier to understand about the availability of alcohol really having very little to do with someone's drinking after you hear others explain it.

Not my experience, just because yours is different, it doesn’t negate mine. I spoke from my personal experience, not anyone else’s, that’s all we ALL can do

Last edited:
Another daughter of an alcoholic.

Thankfully, I realize that whether there was alcohol available or not, my father would have found a way to drink. The stress it caused in my life didn't diminish because we were somewhere without alcohol. We either simply didn't go, which would have meant no Disney. Or he would have brought it with him in some way.

We didn't go anyway. We never had the money to spend on a vacation like Disney.

And whether they allowed alcohol or not, my father (and mother) would have found a way to get it into the park. Mom wasn't an alcoholic, but she would have realized that Dad would have been in withdrawal without it.

As a daughter of an alcoholic, you should probably join a group or at least talk to someone about it. His(her) drinking wasn't your fault and you had no control over it. It may be easier to understand about the availability of alcohol really having very little to do with someone's drinking after you hear others explain it.

While I appreciate your concern I have managed through this just fine. I am trying (however unsuccessfully on this post) to articulate that the presence of alcohol in ‘the happiest place on earth’ is not necessarily considered value added by all. As alcoholism is an addiction, the presence of the substance, whether it be food, drink, drugs) can be a trigger for some addicts especially in a potentially stressful vacation. Alcohol rarely improves an already tenuous situation. And for the innocent child, it has an impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter