Another money grab...

Status
Not open for further replies.
as long as people drink responsibly.

That's always the key.

Well, that and I think the place has to stay clean. I mean if AK started to smell of pee, that would probably turn people off.

Have you ever seen flies in any of the animal areas? A big part of what makes AK work. It is so very clean.

Last edited:

Over the 40+ years that we've gone to Disney, we had or saw many problems with selfish, entitled and obnoxious guests before drinking on premises started. That doesn't even count out of control kids with parents who are oblivious or amused by their kids' antics. I have yet to see a falling down drunk causing problems. Doesn't mean it never happens but I don't think selling alcohol has turned or will turn the parks into Animal House.

EVERYTHING Disney does, builds, offers etc is a money grab.

Many of the things they do I don't partake in. I just roll my eyes and carry on (dessert parties, morning magic, after hours magic etc). I am not a drinker, but I am not a tea-totaler. I just think all alcohol tastes like sock sweat (and i do not like to feel altered even a little bit). You do you though.

Going to clarify my original post because it seems many have either misinterpreted , misread , or didn't read the whole post . So here goes...I don't have a problem with alcohol being available in the parks or with anyone who wants to drink while on vacation...again in the right places and responsibly . My post was me expressing my concern about Disney's trend of making alcohol too accessible and what that could mean going forward . I see this as another easy way for Disney to make big bucks with little consideration of the possible effect it will have on the parks atmosphere especially for those with young children .

Going to clarify my original post because it seems many have either misinterpreted , misread , or didn't read the whole post . So here goes...I don't have a problem with alcohol being available in the parks or with anyone who wants to drink while on vacation...again in the right places and responsibly . My post was me expressing my concern about Disney's trend of making alcohol too accessible and what that could mean going forward . I see this as another easy way for Disney to make big bucks with little consideration of the possible effect it will have on the parks atmosphere especially for those with young children .

I'm not sure what's going on with this.

Are you afraid your children are going to see drunk people acting stuck on stupid?

That's a learning moment. You point out the people acting like fools and teach them a cautionary lesson about what drinking does.

Because, it's not like the kids can get drunk off the fumes.

......... My post was me expressing my concern about Disney's trend of making alcohol too accessible and what that could mean going forward . I see this as another easy way for Disney to make big bucks with little consideration of the possible effect it will have on the parks atmosphere especially for those with young children .

I remember when the whole MK serving alcohol thing (2016?) started and there were debates on here about why it was going to "ruin the parks", change the whole atmosphere, "Walt would be against it", children are around and the parks are for the children, Epcot is a drunken trash pit already.... etc, etc. etc, and NOTHING negative has happened so far. So many people were sure that it would ruin the park and terrible things would happen. This one lounge serving alcohol in a park that already serves alcohol at various locations will not cause an issue.

Disney is Disney and will always be looking to make a bigger profit. Whether it's a new light up pair of ears or the latest spirit jersey or a new place to get a drink. It's not the end of the world or the parks.

I might have to check this place out in September. It will give me an excuse to go into Dinoland, which I usually avoid except for a quick ride on Dinosaur.

It's so much clearer now. Meaning "in the right places" according to you. I think you're right - Disney will make decisions based on revenue streams and they've seen offering alcohol raises revenues and, apparently, makes guests happy, otherwise, I don't think they would be offering the new lounge. If it doesn't work, I'm sure we will also see it closing.

I think the WDW trend of offering more alcohol in the parks is because most adults (even those with young children and maybe ESPECIALLY them, LOL!) really don't want to enter uptight-temperance land when they go to WDW. They are on vacation. They could go to just about any other vacation destination and enjoy an adult beverage whenever they darn-well pleased. My DH is not a WDW fan and one of the reasons is he feels it is not a place for adults to enjoy. I took him to Nomad Lounge on our last trip and he was blown away. I can't imagine he's the only person who feels this way. IMHO, there really has to be a balance between offering for adults and children to enjoy. If WDW is only going to be a place of temperance and drudgery, I think attendance will go down. And, as a mom of a young child, I'm perfectly capable of parenting my child if we see someone acting stupid - drunk or otherwise.

I wouldn’t call it a money grab. To me, a money grab is increasing prices on something popular unnecessarily because they know people will still pay it. Like doubling the cost of a dessert party. I think their idea is to get more people back in that area of the park. But no one going to Dionsaur is going to feel obligated to stop for a drink there.

At least until it becomes (more of) a problem.

For what it is worth to step into this debate at all....

Once upon a time Universal sold alcohol all over their parks. Not only did they sell it, but they had prominent ads for things like "beer bucket" deals all over their parks.

Those are long gone.

US still sells plenty of alcohol, just not the way they used to do it. These days, H Potter beers are $8.49 a pop. They make money off the folks who want to drink, but they don't flood parks with invitations to get highly intoxicated.

US cleaned up.

Remember when spring break in Fort Lauderdale was a thing? It also got too trashy, so the city cleaned up.

The club part of Downtown Disney was once popular, now it is gone.

Disney is vulnerable to the same effect as everyone else. If WDW gets too much alcohol, there will be a tipping point when folks will reject it.

You should go to US during HHN.

. . . really don't want to enter uptight-temperance land when they go to WDW. . .If WDW is only going to be a place of temperance and drudgery . . .

I am curious why you equate no alcohol with being uptight or with drudgery. Many people live joyful and fulfilled lives and never drink. I don’t have a problem with others drinking responsibly whenever they choose to (key word being responsible- like don’t drink and drive). I personally choose not to drink because I have never acquired the taste for it (it just really tastes bad to me) and have not considered my life to be uptight or full of drudgery as a result. My family drinks socially (but not to excess) and I don’t feel like I have missed out by not participating. For decades there was no alcohol available in the parks and people came anyway. I don’t think alcohol should be a big deal so long as people aren’t so drunk that they can’t walk or are throwing up or passing out, but no one in my family would stay away from a venue just because there was no alcohol served.

I don’t think it’s a money grab either. I save that for things like charging overnight resort guests for parking.

I am interrupting the discussion about alcohol availability to do a PSA:

There is a bar/snack bar place alongside the entrance of Expedition Everest. It’s called the Thirsty River something, and it serves Victory Brewing Company Golden Monkey on tap.

I highly recommend it. So delicious with coriander notes and it has a high ABV. Mellows you out for a relaxing Rivers of Light show. :)

Back to your regularly scheduled discussion...

So basically you get to choose the time and place that is appropriate for others to have a drink? I wish I had enough time in my day to worry about what other people do but maybe I should be happy that I don't though, I can stay focused on my own beverage. You seem unhappy, maybe you should try my approach? From some of the replies it sounds like you frequently post your displeasure when Disney opens a bar/lounge...sounds freaking exhausting.

Judgemental posts like the op just make me make sure I stop by and get a drink to irritate those of you who like to condemn
Seconded. You can have absolutely have some bad apples in the bar bunch that have a bit too much alcohol and cause a scene or problem. But bad apples are everywhere, and I've seen some bad behavior and questionable parenting decisions from what appear to be, at a glance, sober adults tending to (or apathetically avoiding) their demonic children.

There is a bar/snack bar place alongside the entrance of Expedition Everest. It’s called the Thirsty River something, and it serves Victory Brewing Company Golden Monkey on tap.

I highly recommend it. So delicious with coriander notes and it has a high ABV. Mellows you out for a relaxing Rivers of Light show. :)

I just love Victory beers! Would you happen to know if they have others? Huge fan of Summer Love. But I only drink daft beers.

Well aware of all the places alcohol is being served and is now available . That is kind of the point . More places to buy alcohol is not better for any one .Having it available at select , limited locations is my point . Especially at, but not limited to, MK & AK .

I am baffled why you get to choose time an dplace for alcoholic beverages for other adults. I like wine, and I like cocktails, but because I do not drink and drive I seldom get to imbibe iunless I have a driver who does not choose to drink. That means vacation is a great tiem for my DH and my DD to also enjoy a cocktail. NOne of us drive after a drink, so to get a cool beverage in DAK is a rare treat.

Not trying to villianize it...as I said there is atime and place .

Again, vacation is the time and place for my family. My DSIL is lookign forward to the next trip becuase my Nieves are joining us. He loves to try different beers and with the two of them he can try more and then pass them off to the girls. Until this trip I was the only drinking partner to share with, and I am not a beer fan. You will find us cooling off at the new lounge this DEcember.

AK has basically been one big bar for years now. How else do you expect people to justify more than half a day there?

I know! I love DAK, but nothing but a long afternoon at Nomads wodul have gotten me to stick around until evening to see the tree light up. I am trying to drop hints tha Nomads is a great place to erelax so my family will want to hang there until ROL. Otherwise we are out before 4. No more parade to keep us there.

I understood you the first time, btu I did not agree with tyou then, and I still do not agree. I do believe that you need to concentrate on your own family and your own drinking habits. Let others manage theirs.

Hmmmmm....I wlll tell JEff. He is lookign forward to tryign more beers now that he has two more people to share them with.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter