Any NFL fans not watching this year due to the protests?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those that are protesting are making more than an average wage. If they believe things need fixing, go out and start helping. Use your voice. Use your money. Use your supposed influence. You know, actually enact change.
How you protest should be tied to what else you do.

Edit to add: They certainly have the means to do other things. And especially the time, during the off season.
Colin Kaepernick has a million dollar pledge and since the fall, has so far donated over $800,000 to charities.

In the fall, he committed to donating $100,000 a month for 10 months to charities that that stand up for women, children, poor people, minorities, and military veterans. He has $200,000 to go.

Is this enough payment to protest for you?

Last edited:
I'm 13+ years into what I hope will be a 20+ year military career.

I don't mind the kneeling at all. I'm in the military so people have the right to kneel, or stand, or sing, or remain quiet, or whatever they want to do.

I'm not watching nearly as much football this year as I'm used to, but that's because my favorite team seems to NEVER be one of the teams playing on the major networks in my current duty location, and I don't watch enough to justify paying extra for the full schedule. But I usually turn it on for at least a little while each Sunday.

This is my favorite scene of my all-time favorite movie :thumbsup2
Well my veteran, law enforcement husband and I thoroughly enjoyed being at the game this past Sunday.

Thank you all for your service (wives included,) for protecting our freedoms so that we may discuss this freely and without fear of being locked up.

I never used to watch football but I am now. I admire the players for respectfully protesting. Many, many veterans hold the same position I do. I personally think many who say this is disrespectful haven't looked farther than the surface and are parroting what they hear.

I never used to watch football but I am now. I admire the players for respectfully protesting. Many, many veterans hold the same position I do. I personally think many who say this is disrespectful haven't looked farther than the surface and are parroting what they hear.

Many, many veterans also oppose your views which is fine. Reading through this thread there aren't many posts talking about the issues that brought on the protest. Most are about being for or against kneeling. Is that what the kneelers want? Their message has gotten buried and muddied. In history has burning the flag or protesting the anthem really worked for their causes? These methods aren't very popular or effective.

I love protesting in this country whether through kneeling as one example and boycotting with cash. With every protest is backlash and then backlash against the backlash, but is anything really getting done?

Many, many veterans also oppose your views which is fine. Reading through this thread there aren't many posts talking about the issues that brought on the protest. Most are about being for or against kneeling. Is that what the kneelers want? Their message has gotten buried and muddied. In history has burning the flag or protesting the anthem really worked for their causes? These methods aren't very popular or effective.

I love protesting in this country whether through kneeling as one example and boycotting with cash. With every protest is backlash and then backlash against the backlash, but is anything really getting done?
The reason why the players are kneeling is not being discussed in this thread is because that is not what the OP asked. He asked if anyone is still watching the NFL because of the actual act of the kneeling. The OP felt it disrespectful and he asked if anyone else thought it disrespectful.

There have been plenty of discussions about the meaning of the protests, the twisting of the original intent, and many other facets of this protest. Just google it, there is a wealth of discussion. But that was not the focus of this particular thread. However, because the protests have opened up discussions in many places, I personally think they are effective in at least bringing attention to a problem. Pretty much everyone knows why Kaepernick started kneeling.

Is it no shooting by police for say, a year? I'm confused...

A year? A day with no police shootings would be great. 748 uses of fatal force by police so far this year, according to The Washington Post* - and yes, undoubtedly some of them were justified. *Incidentally, neither the FBI nor the Justice Department keep official figures of people killed by police, so it's up to the media.

The reason behind the protest has no bearing whatsoever on whether or not the protest method is or is is not respectful.

I watch the NFL because I love football (except for college). I don't watch it for the players political, racial or social views. Frankly, I ignore it and tune in when the actual game starts.

Colin Kaepernick has a million dollar pledge and since the fall, has so far donated over $800,000 to charities.

In the fall, he committed to donating $100,000 a month for 10 months to charities that that stand up for women, children, poor people, minorities, and military veterans. He has $200,000 to go.

Is this enough payment to protest for you?

Good for him.
That still has nothing to do with his choice to protest while "working". His personal beliefs are that and that is fine, but keep that on your own time not while you are being paid to do something else.

Were there countrywide boycotts of the NFL when players were arrested for murder? no
Were there countrywide boycotts of the NFL when players were arrested for repeated dosmetic violence? no
Were there countrywide boycotts of the NFL when multiple teams were involved in cheating? no

Yet the kneeling - which has specifically been stated is being done as a way to show respect to the flag but still peacefully protest a situation occuring in America - draws offense? The fact that this is what makes people get very upset shows a misguided set of priorities to me, and a deliberate misunderstanding of what the players are intending to do with the kneeling.

So much this! Pick a felony, any felony and I'd bet there a player on the field who has committed it.

Nobody protested the rapists and batters out there playing. I guess because they did that "on their own time" it's ok? The cheating allegations didn't even get this much attention.

I'd much rather see players who have been arrested for rape, domestic abuse, child abuse etc. actually be banned from playing than get all up in arms over peaceful protest that is still protected in this country.

Good for him.
That still has nothing to do with his choice to protest while "working". His personal beliefs are that and that is fine, but keep that on your own time not while you are being paid to do something else.
That is really between the players and their employers. Since many of the owners joined their players in kneeling or continue to allow it, apparently they have no problem with their players exercising their right to peaceful protest. They are the ones paying the players, so they have the last say. As long as their pocketbook is not being hurt, and it seems not to be, they are allowing their players to exercise their rights.

On the flip side, the executives on the team I root for have said that no kneeling is allowed. I think it is wrong, but it is their right to enforce that with their players. Even though I disagree, I am still watching, attending and supporting the team.

Last edited:
Reading through this thread there aren't many posts talking about the issues that brought on the protest. Most are about being for or against kneeling. Is that what the kneelers want? Their message has gotten buried and muddied.
While I agree with you, it's difficult on this board to talk about the issues they're protesting about without getting into taboo subjects. So I wouldn't take this thread as an example. But I do believe their message has gotten buried.

Good for him.
But wouldn't/shouldn't it be up to the employer what they're allowed to do while "on the clock", not the general public?

Good for him.

Obviously, the owners feel differently, at least for now. And, since they are the players bosses, whether they may protest on "company time" or not is really up to them. Everyone is entitled to their opinion on the matter, of course, so I'm sure anyone who disagrees with the owners has probably already decided to vote with their wallet by not watching.

If you think about it, the whole thing is a little weird. I mean, why play the anthem at sporting events in the first place? People getting paid to play a game has nothing to do with patriotism. Sports are entertainment, pure and simple, and I'm having a hard time thinking of another entertainment area where the anthem is played before starting the show. Movies? No. Concerts? Rarely, and only if it's part of the set. Theatrical productions? Nope.

That is really between the players and their employers. Since many of the owners joined their players in kneeling or continue to allow it, apparently they have no problem with their players exercising their right to peaceful protest. They are the ones paying the players, so they have the last say. As long as their pocketbook is not being hurt, and it seems not to be, they are allowing their players to exercise their rights.

On the flip side, the executives on the team I root for have said that no kneeling is allowed. I think it is wrong, but it is their right to enforce that with their players. Even though I disagree, I am still watching, attending and supporting the team.

Which team/teams have said no kneeling?

Obviously, the owners feel differently, at least for now. And, since they are the players bosses, whether they may protest on "company time" or not is really up to them. Everyone is entitled to their opinion on the matter, of course, so I'm sure anyone who disagrees with the owners has probably already decided to vote with their wallet by not watching.

If you think about it, the whole thing is a little weird. I mean, why play the anthem at sporting events in the first place? People getting paid to play a game has nothing to do with patriotism. Sports are entertainment, pure and simple, and I'm having a hard time thinking of another entertainment area where the anthem is played before starting the show. Movies? No. Concerts? Rarely, and only if it's part of the set. Theatrical productions? Nope.

I totally agree with the bolded. Add to that the whole argument that the players are at work and should protest on their own time and it just sounds like forced, faux patriotism.

So much this! Pick a felony, any felony and I'd bet there a player on the field who has committed it.

Nobody protested the rapists and batters out there playing. I guess because they did that "on their own time" it's ok? The cheating allegations didn't even get this much attention.

I'd much rather see players who have been arrested for rape, domestic abuse, child abuse etc. actually be banned from playing than get all up in arms over peaceful protest that is still protected in this country.
This is actually one of the reasons I was starting to get turned off to watching the NFL. It was just getting harder and harder to cheer for guys who were engaging in this kind of behavior and it seemed that NFL management could have done more to take these offenses more seriously. As I wrote previously, the anthem protests were just the last straw for me. I really don't miss it much at all, either.

I mean, why play the anthem at sporting events in the first place?
I can understand it for national team events (like soccer, basketball, etc), but you're right, I don't know why it gets played for a "standard" game. Although I know it gets played at HS games and even our middle school games.

International level sports is about it in most of the world. I’ve had Europeans ask me what’s the point for most sports.

However, I remember an Indian colleague telling me that traditionally their national anthem is played before movies. And in a few states it was made mandatory, with possible punishment for anyone who didn’t stand and pay respect. It now seems to be mandatory throughout India but without a legal requirement to stand.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/nation...art-of-film-Supreme-Court/article17300858.ece

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter