Any type of Movies do you red flag

Scary movies, animal movies ( I will be a hot crying mess). Oddly enough movies that involve ships, boats sinking (maybe past life I went down with the ship).

Same as most on here - animal movies. I haven't even tried to watch Marley and Me, I read the book, that was enough. I actually read the final chapters in the park waiting on my son to finish a t-ball game. I was also 8 months pregnant at the time, some friends happened to walk by and were seriously concerned about me, I was crying so hard. I think they thought I was in labor.

None of the Saw type movies, nothing that relies on gore to tell a story.

I also won't watch Breakthrough, the Shack, any of that type of movie.

I don't necessarily rule out any type of movie, but there are certain people who will automatically disqualify a movie for me, usually the director. I will not watch any more Quentin Tarrantino or Wes Anderson movies. I just do not like them. I have never cared for Woody Allen and find him creepy and weird. I don't watch movies with Tom Cruise in them because he annoys me. There are many other reasons I may disqualify a film, but those are the ones that get a flat no.

Gory movies, the ones that are gory for the sake of being gory are a hard pass for me and I don't care for westerns either. I'm ok with horror/scary movies if it's done well like the original Halloween or silence of the lambs.

Gory horror movies or just overly violent movies. Someone upthread mentioned Quentin Tarantino. I have watched Pulp Fiction, and I just don't like it.
Movies with too much sex like 50 Shades of Grey.
I will also turn off tv shows that have too much violence or sex for no reason.
I'm not really that big of a prude, but I want to watch stories and character development...if sex and some violence is part of that, okay, but if the plot is just an excuse to show sex and violence, then no

I also don't like some of the pretentious artsy movies. The movies that I will probably end up not liking and then be accused of being less cultured, intelligent, etc. because I don't like it.

I also don't like documentaries. I usually find them to be too one-sided. Also, I just want a movie to be entertainment. If I want to learn about something, I'd rather read, watch the news, listen to a podcast, etc.

I don't necessarily rule out any type of movie, but there are certain people who will automatically disqualify a movie for me, usually the director. I will not watch any more Quentin Tarrantino or Wes Anderson movies. I just do not like them. I have never cared for Woody Allen and find him creepy and weird. I don't watch movies with Tom Cruise in them because he annoys me. There are many other reasons I may disqualify a film, but those are the ones that get a flat no.
I have tried to watch several Woody Allen movies (not in a theater!), and I just don't like them either. I am actually glad I don't like his work with all the allegations surrounding him, I'm not sure I want to support his career at all.

Gory horror movies or just overly violent movies. Someone upthread mentioned Quentin Tarantino. I have watched Pulp Fiction, and I just don't like it.
Movies with too much sex like 50 Shades of Grey.
I will also turn off tv shows that have too much violence or sex for no reason.
I'm not really that big of a prude, but I want to watch stories and character development...if sex and some violence is part of that, okay, but if the plot is just an excuse to show sex and violence, then no

I also don't like some of the pretentious artsy movies. The movies that I will probably end up not liking and then be accused of being less cultured, intelligent, etc. because I don't like it.

I also don't like documentaries. I usually find them to be too one-sided. Also, I just want a movie to be entertainment. If I want to learn about something, I'd rather read, watch the news, listen to a podcast, etc.

Just to clarify, it's not necessarily the violence or gore that runs me off from Tarrantino, it's the pretentiousness and the fact that there are no heroes. They're always about bad people doing bad things to each other. I do not care for that. While I do not like "gore for the sake of gore" I do appreciate violence in films when used purposefully. Paul Verhoeven is someone who I feel does that well, and while his movies are violent and gory, there is a context to it and usually a complex moral statement.

Just to clarify, it's not necessarily the violence or gore that runs me off from Tarrantino, it's the pretentiousness and the fact that there are no heroes. They're always about bad people doing bad things to each other. I do not care for that. While I do not like "gore for the sake of gore" I do appreciate violence in films when used purposefully. Paul Verhoeven is someone who I feel does that well, and while his movies are violent and gory, there is a context to it and usually a complex moral statement.
I agree I don't just dislike Tarrantino because of the violence. In Pulp Fiction, for example, I just didn't like any of those people. I also don't enjoy the pretentiousness of his movies. The idea that if you don't like them, you are a prude, you are stupid, etc.

I agree I don't just dislike Tarrantino because of the violence. In Pulp Fiction, for example, I just didn't like any of those people. I also don't enjoy the pretentiousness of his movies. The idea that if you don't like them, you are a prude, you are stupid, etc.

Hey, I don't just get that from him. I have friends who love Tarantino and I get so much grief for not liking it. They have tried to get me into it on several occasions - trying to get me to watch another one, "Oh, you might like this one, it's different." Yeah, it's not. It's the same with Wes Andersen. They feel like my taste isn't good enough. It is very annoying. I did give it a chance, but enough is enough.

Last edited:
I red flag many that have been mentioned such as graphic violence, horror and suspense.
Also any movies about the Holocaust so no Schindler's List for me!

I LOVE movies - there just isn't enough stuff out there that hasn't already been done! I do especially like comedies, though.

I have a cousin (in-law) in the movie business. He says that most of this is because the production companies don't want to take a chance on something that hasn't been done before.

For me, it's horror and summer teen movies.

Animal movies -- horse movies, movies where the dog is going to die, etc.

Anything with Louis C. K.

Fast & the Furious and related movies.

Horror movies and emotional movies like the Notebook or Breakthrough.

Me too.

Except one evening I was flipping channels & accidentally ended up watching "Marley & Me." By the end, my eyes were practically swollen shut from ugly crying.

I have never cried more at a movie than I did during Marley & Me. It was a solid 30 minutes of sobbing at the end. Never again.

I have a cousin (in-law) in the movie business. He says that most of this is because the production companies don't want to take a chance on something that hasn't been done before.

That's a shame. I would think that would be the goal, not the thing to avoid.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter