Anybody traveling to WDW this fall

Forgive me if I missed something, but how did you cross the border? I thought it was still closed to international travel? On airline sites, I can only find travel for December and on.

The border is closed to drive across, but apparently flying across the border is no problem.

The issue with travelling for a vacation (or other non-essential reason) right now is the effect on others if you do contract COVID. If you are home once symptoms start, you are exposing all the health care workers for testing, treatment, hospitalization, etc., and the taxpayers are paying the health care costs. Even if you get sick while away, insurance will try to get you home as quickly as possible to minimize their costs, and then the same issues occur.

What did you do for travel insurance?

I purchased the covid included plan from medipac. It was around $80 each and I purchased direct from their website. We booked with Air Canada but prior to them offering insurance included.

Forgive me if I missed something, but how did you cross the border? I thought it was still closed to international travel? On airline sites, I can only find travel for December and on.

I see others have answered regarding crossing the border. When we first booked our flights there were plenty of options. Then the border closure was extended again and there were a number of cancellations. We booked flights around 6 weeks before our trip and in total had 5 flight changes. These were date changes as well as flights. We ended up having to fly out of Halifax and returning to our home airport in Moncton.

The issue with travelling for a vacation (or other non-essential reason) right now is the effect on others if you do contract COVID. If you are home once symptoms start, you are exposing all the health care workers for testing, treatment, hospitalization, etc., and the taxpayers are paying the health care costs. Even if you get sick while away, insurance will try to get you home as quickly as possible to minimize their costs, and then the same issues occur.

But they are self-isolating, so are not doing anything wrong. They are being responsible.

I’m not the poster you’re asking but I checked on Expedia and there are many flights to MCO for any date this year.
Wow, I'm confused. I had heard the border was entirely closed to all but the most essential travel (it's a big issue between Trump & Trudeau right now). Looks like there's not even mandatory quarantine anymore? I really didn't have all the information, I guess.

I mean, I was planning an April trip, and I was worried about the border not even being open THEN!

Wow, I'm confused. I had heard the border was entirely closed to all but the most essential travel (it's a big issue between Trump & Trudeau right now). Looks like there's not even mandatory quarantine anymore? I really didn't have all the information, I guess.

I mean, I was planning an April trip, and I was worried about the border not even being open THEN!

The land and sea borders are closed, air is open. 2 week mandatory quarantine is, afaik, still required.

The US allows Canadians entry by air, not by land. Canada does not allow Americans by air or any other means. Not sure why you think there isn’t mandatory quarantine? There definitely is for 14 days when returning to Canada.

The US allows Canadians entry by air, not by land. Canada does not allow Americans by air or any other means. Not sure why you think there isn’t mandatory quarantine? There definitely is for 14 days when returning to Canada.
ah, OK- I assumed you hadn't done the quarantine afterwards. I should have guessed no obstacle was too great for a Disney fan, lol.

I think I read on the government's website that you only had to quarantine if you were showing symptoms now, but there was a LOT of text and I read it at 2 am.

Everyone please read your insurance policies.

If anyone in your party takes medication, any change in said medication can make the policy null and void.

You can certainly fly to Orlando, I went in September. Going again next week. Westjet canceled my original flight a few weeks ago, but I had a back up booked with Air Canada. They canceled my outgoing flight yesterday (7 days before departure 😬) and bumped me to Thursday. I had them change it to Tuesday and booked a night at Pop as I’ll be by myself for 1 night, then 6 nights at CBR with a friend. I’m living in a Covid hot spot right now - I am avoiding all activities that require leaving my house....and of course, I’ll be quarantined for 14 days when I return, but that’s ok, because I’ll just go back to avoiding anything that involves leaving my house 😜

I'm currently down, flew Air Canada on Tuesday from Pearson. Flight was fine, fairly full, but I had an empty seat beside me. Mask situation and distancing is the same at Orlando airport and Central Florida as Ontario. Masks are worn in public areas (grocery, restaurants, Resort lobbies, etc.) I'm primarily down to have some maintenance done to our condo, but since I have an annual pass, pre-booked a few parks, just in case. Visited Animal Kingdom yesterday. Despite only 25% maximum attendance (and the fact that it was a bit rainy), it didn't look all that empty, in fact Pandora looks as full as usual. Only a 65 minute wait for Avatar Flight of Passage, not that I went on any rides.
Masks and temperature check mandatory to get into the Parks. Unfortunately, I'm just catching the tail end of a Tropical Storm in Kissimmee this morning, so rain all day, but I still may hit Magic Kingdom for a visit. Disney Springs visit later in the week. Stay safe!

Returned from my trip earlier this week. It was a unique experience, but not so different I wasn't able to enjoy my time there. Managed to hit the parks as well as Disney Springs, albeit mostly shorter visits. But it was nice to be back. If anyone's interested, I can expand on my experiences, the good, the not-so-good, etc.

Last edited:
Returned from the my trip earlier this week. It was a unique experience, but not so different I wasn't able to enjoy my time there. Managed to hit the parks as well as Disney Springs, albeit mostly shorter visits. But it was nice to be back. If anyone's interested, I can expand on my experiences, the good, the not-so-good, etc.
Did you travel outside Disney at all?
to eat or shop ? If so how was that?

Returned from the my trip earlier this week. It was a unique experience, but not so different I wasn't able to enjoy my time there. Managed to hit the parks as well as Disney Springs, albeit mostly shorter visits. But it was nice to be back. If anyone's interested, I can expand on my experiences, the good, the not-so-good, etc.
I’d be interested in hearing about your experience, especially from a Canadian’s perspective. TIA!

Did you travel outside Disney at all?
to eat or shop ? If so how was that?
Actually, most of my time was offsite. I own a condo about 6 miles west of Animal Kingdom. Other than visits to all 4 Parks, Disney Springs, and a drive to Cocoa Beach, I did hit a couple of restaurants (one dine-in, two take-out), two visits to Publix, one to Walgreens. I did a little shopping at Disney Springs, but no outlet malls or anything like that. For the most part, everything is similar to here (I'm in Niagara region, so upon return home, we're not in the red zone... yet). Masks are standard at all Parks including Disney Springs, as well as indoor public places like grocery stores, etc. I did notice however, that there were customers inside Racetrack (gas station & convenience) who did not have masks on, so I'm not sure what the official status of mask wearing is.
Restaurants are similar to here, wear a mask until you are seated, then you're good to go.
Temperature checks at all parks and Disney Springs.
Despite the constant negative messaging of the CND media, the small snippet of Florida I experienced, seems to be taking things quite seriously. I'll expand a bit on my time at the parks, shortly.
Cheers!

I’d be interested in hearing about your experience, especially from a Canadian’s perspective. TIA!
I normally fly out of Buffalo, occasionally Niagara Falls, or drive, so this was the first time I'd flown Toronto to Orlando. Dealing with both airports was fine, limited people, most gates completely vacant. Wearing a mask in the airport, on the planes, etc. was not a problem, I found you pretty much forget you have one on. The only difficulty for me is wearing reading glasses, or sunglasses outside, almost impossible not to steam them up.
Orlando airport was normal, less people, all masked. They have moved all car rentals to Terminal B, so I had to walk across the airport to get my car, no big deal. Touchless check-out when you leave the parking garage, you hold your License up to the window and they scan it.
I did manage to attend all 4 parks. I have an annual weekday pass, and I was traveling alone, so I did have the benefit of going/leaving whenever I wanted. I never attended early morning, usually by noon or slightly after, so I avoided any lines. At 25% capacity, I never had to wait in any line to get through security, or have the temperature check. When I was on the boat headed for MK, I was on the upper level, and there were only 6 others up there with me. The monorail back, I had the compartment to myself. The lack of big crowds is noticeable, but it's not that big a difference. Some areas seem as crowded as they ever were. I noticed a few restaurants were closed, but I wasn't paying all that much attention to dining. With no fastpasses, most wait times that I saw were quite good. Flight of Avatar, 65 minutes (although it was a bit of a rainy day), Toy Story Ride, 20-25 minutes, Peter Pan, 15 minutes, Test Track single rider, no wait, Pirates & Haunted Mansion about 25 minutes. I didn't go on any rides this visit, but that was my plan.
EPCOT had a lot of boarded up areas, in fact if you went left at the big ball upon entry, you're all funneled left through a boarded up maze, ending up near the Test Track area. The World showcase was pretty much unchanged, a couple things closed, but for the most part, same as always. I didn't eat at any of the parks, but I noted that the beverages seem to have increased in price. Trams from the parking lot were not running, not that I use them anyhow.
I will say that the new Star Wars area at HS is quite impressive. I thought Pandora was amazing, the Star Wars addition is bigger. Full sized Millennium Falcon, indoor market, all kinds of exhibits. My brief time walking through didn't do it justice.
I found wearing a mask at the parks a bit of a challenge. I'm in decent shape, and I walk a lot, but even in only low to mid '80s, when the sun was out, you really feel it. Sunglasses for me were impossible to wear with a mask. You are allowed to remove your mask to eat/drink, as long as you're stationary, which made sense. From what I saw, everyone was playing by the rules. Some the younger kids had their masks dangling or riding low, but no big deal.
I was only at the parks for 1-2 hours tops. Had I spent the entire day, or even half a day, it would have been a challenge with the masks. There are days in July and August when I'm sweating 5 minutes in and wondering what I was thinking, I can only imagine if a mask was involved. Having said that, for anyone intent on going while masks are still mandatory, it will still be magic. I saw the same smiles, wonder and excitement in the kids and grownups. You sometimes just have to look a little harder.
I went to Disney Springs twice. I always preferred outdoor parking, the Friday it was available, although not the same area as before. Sunday, no outdoor parking, I used the Orange garage. Temp check before entry. It was quite crowded, not really all that different. There was only one entry/exit to the big Disney store, and a line to get in (although it looked like it was moving pretty fast) so I didn't bother. The boats to Port Orleans/French Quarter were not running, although the car boats were available for rent.
On the flight back you're given a Covid form to fill out along with your customs paperwork. The form lists your contact info, address etc. At Customs in Pearson you simply leave the form with attendant who drops it into a box. There was no real follow up or interrogation at all by Customs regarding quarantine, other than mentioning it.
All in all, I enjoyed my time. Hoping by March things will begin easing up. Cheers!

Having said that, for anyone intent on going while masks are still mandatory, it will still be magic. I saw the same smiles, wonder and excitement in the kids and grownups. You sometimes just have to look a little harder.
Love this!

Someone posted on another thread that there was optional COVID testing upon arrival at Pearson. Was this available to you?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter