Anyone else get annoyed.. (School Supplies)

My sons supply list required 10 glue sticks per child and it specified LARGE. I bought them. The large ones at Walmart (Elmers) were $1.58 each! Insane? Yes! But, its what the teacher demanded. I bought them.

Also, its my sons first year and he has never had a backpack or lunch box before, so new purchases.

I suppose if some of you are really "required" to purchase so much and of such expensive things, you see the principal. It really blows my mind with what some of you say are required.
I teach 3rd grade and I know for a fact that my entire list can be purchased for under $10 and that includes an expensive 1" view through binder.

Yes, we are really "required" to buy those things. See my previous posts that if you don't send in things to their exact specifications, you receive those supplies back and your child misses recess until the correct supplies are brought in. Our "meet the teacher" night is really supply check-in night.

And as far as talking to the principal, HA! Who do you think signs off on those school supply lists? At least in our district. The reply is that supplies are needed for the school and other teachers can use them and he doesn't want to interfere with what the teachers want and need. Well, golly gee whiz, principal--then why don't those grade level teachers include the supplies they need to use in their supply lists? And, again, I see the full supply closets at the end of the year, why aren't the supplies split up among the students and returned or carried over to the next year? This is our third year of sending in scissors; where exactly are the other years of scissors?

I'm not annoyed at supplies in general. I'm annoyed at the unreasonableness of the list. I don't care if my kid has his supplies or they're pooled. I just want a portion of what I spent on supplies returned. I don't care if the teacher wants 2 blue, 1 red, and 1 yellow folder, but I don't want to spend money on unnecessary overly expensive brands when a normal brand will do. I'm not talking Crayola (what I would buy regardless) v. Roseart; I'm talking specialty items of Crayola that aren't ever on sale. What they use those $18 notebooks for, the $0.33 notebooks on sale would do just fine.

Actually, the Crayola's dont cost $0.22 they are over $2 per box!!! The nonwashables are $0.22 but Id rather spend the extra money and spare my sons wardrobe. After I pay $40 for a pair of jean, I want those jeans to last until he outgrows them and maybe be handed down to the next boy if it suits his style.

You're complaining about spending $2 for a box of crayons, and yet would spend $40 for a pair of jeans for a 5 year old?! And then would only hand down to another child if it suited his style?! I have boys - even ds10 has yet to develop a "style." I have enough trouble getting him to ditch the shorts in November. Dd12 doesn't even get jeans that expensive - clearance Abercrombie, maybe, but I'm not spending $40 on a pair of jeans. :confused3

No, Im saying that I would gladly pay $15 for a box of crayons that I can be sure my child will be able to use (not get taken away and handed a box of crayons that will stain my sons clothes) Im fine with paying more so long as I can be sure my son gets to use what I purchase, make sense?

Yes, I would gladly pay $40 for a pair of jeans. I take value in my sons clothing. I like that he wears name brands. I like his jeans. These jeans are a great brand and hold up really well (http://www.luckybrandjeans.com/Product.aspx?p=LBX09772&l=00110138014700090000&km=&pn=1). I buy them because they look great on him. I also buy cheaper clothing but the majority of my sons closet is name brand because my hubby works hard so we can buy the things we want for him. I mean if I wear designer jeans, why can't my kids?

A few people did, myself included.

I'm not "allowed" to send in those $0.22 boxes of crayons. We MUST send in the washables at an odd number over $2.50 a box, and we MUST send in 14 boxes of them. That alone is over $35. That doesn't count the 8 bottles of large glue (also NOT on sale) or the 15 glue sticks, an expensive brand that is NOT on sale that is REQUIRED. Have you checked the price of packages (not singles) dry erase markers--which the required brand is (again) NOT on sales--that I am REQUIRED to send in 3 packages of? Those 3 reams of printer paper is $15. Then there are the pencils that if my child uses one every two days should still have left overs of, and the 8 folders, and the three 3-ring binders (that are $5 each). And the several packages of 150 count baby wipes. And the 5 boxes of Kleenex that must be anti-bacterial (which, really, I would do anyhow). Then there is the $18 notebooks, yes $18, special notebooks that I must supply two of. I haven't even gotten through half the list.

Do you understand why I would want my unused supplies back? They aren't even being used and I could send them in the next year. Plus, that much money is ridiculous on elementary school supplies. Wouldn't you be annoyed? Come to think of it, maybe the teachers should be spending their own money on them so they can figure out that it shouldn't be required!! There are 25 kids in each class. So, each class has 375 glue sticks at their disposal each year. Is that necessary?

:eek: That is crazy! I am a teacher, and I can't imagine where all these things are going to be stored! It is too excessive and expensive. I'm not sure how much my list costs, but I bet it is under $10. I do ask for 4 glue sticks, because we go through those like crazy, but you can get those for under a dollar. I also split the supplies. For instance, 1/3 will bring a roll of paper towels, 1/3 will bring wipes, and 1/3 will bring index cards. Everyone is asked to bring a dry erase marker because I use individual dry erase boards.

I get alot of my supplies at Big Lots. I just found a package of 8 dry erase markers (Expo) for $3.00.

A few people did, myself included.

I'm not "allowed" to send in those $0.22 boxes of crayons. We MUST send in the washables at an odd number over $2.50 a box, and we MUST send in 14 boxes of them. That alone is over $35. That doesn't count the 8 bottles of large glue (also NOT on sale) or the 15 glue sticks, an expensive brand that is NOT on sale that is REQUIRED. Have you checked the price of packages (not singles) dry erase markers--which the required brand is (again) NOT on sales--that I am REQUIRED to send in 3 packages of? Those 3 reams of printer paper is $15. Then there are the pencils that if my child uses one every two days should still have left overs of, and the 8 folders, and the three 3-ring binders (that are $5 each). And the several packages of 150 count baby wipes. And the 5 boxes of Kleenex that must be anti-bacterial (which, really, I would do anyhow). Then there is the $18 notebooks, yes $18, special notebooks that I must supply two of. I haven't even gotten through half the list.

Do you understand why I would want my unused supplies back? They aren't even being used and I could send them in the next year. Plus, that much money is ridiculous on elementary school supplies. Wouldn't you be annoyed? Come to think of it, maybe the teachers should be spending their own money on them so they can figure out that it shouldn't be required!! There are 25 kids in each class. So, each class has 375 glue sticks at their disposal each year. Is that necessary?

I did a quick look back and had not seen that. I see your issues, because that is extravagant. It doesn't seem like the norm, though. Thankfully. I do see why you would want the extras back at the end of the year. I still don't see the issue with kids sharing, however. If it makes it easier and faster/more efficient for the teacher, that would be my concern.

I emailed my SIL, and talked with my dear neighbor. SIL's list is about 8 items long, and she says it costs about $15. She started her own charter school that has approximately 100 students. Dear neighbor's 5th grade list can be purchased from the PTA for $20. And community action donates to anyone who needs it.

lOL, I do know that I never paid $40 for a five year old's jeans. My kid's always had holes in them within a month. I never could keep them off of their knees! I stay off of my knees, and don't often climb trees. I get more expensive clothing...

My son isn't the outdoorsy type of boy. He likes to be indoors, he likes playing computer games, he loves ballet and jazz. He would cringe at the thought of climbing trees. He likes to walk but that's about it. He's not one to get down in the dirt.

My 2 yr old son is though, and he won't be wearing the expensive jeans outside. LOL. He will be wearing the $25-30 pair of jeans. Heck, maybe even the $15 pair if he gets much more active than he is now lol.

My son isn't the outdoorsy type of boy. He likes to be indoors, he likes playing computer games, he loves ballet and jazz. He would cringe at the thought of climbing trees. He likes to walk but that's about it. He's not one to get down in the dirt.

My 2 yr old son is though, and he won't be wearing the expensive jeans outside. LOL. He will be wearing the $25-30 pair of jeans. Heck, maybe even the $15 pair if he gets much more active than he is now lol.

Just so you know, Land's End makes a double knee pant that is great for wild wee ones! These were lifesavers. Not because I didn't buy the blue jeans, etc., but because they all seemed to become holy at the worst times! At least these looked decent until I could resupply!

Thanks for the recommendation. My 2 yr old was climbing onto the dining room table by 10 months! He is WILD!

Have you ever seen Big Mama's House 2? The one where the little boy just JUMPS onto the ground face first from a top bunk and a playground? Yeah, thats my Alex LOL! I'll check into the Lands End ones.

I could not ever imagine spending so much on kids clothes. I shop the bargains at Kohls. Just got the boys new pants and shorts marked down to $2-5 each. THey are great clothes and hold up well.
I could care less if someone dresses their kid in designer clothes, but to me there is a difference in a parent wearing them vs a kid. A child is constantly growing and wont get the same wear out of them

I can see how this thread is getting off track again, with the $40 jeans for a child. while I agree this is a bit much for a child's jeans:-)rotfl: ) that's not the point. If she has the wherewithall to spend that on her son's jeans, that is her CHOICE. and if she CHOOSES not to CONTRIBUTE to the "needy kids school supplies" fund, that is HER CHOICE. how do you know that she doesn't contribute to her church? or to any other charity? maybe she doesn't... HER CHOICE. look up the definition of CONTRIBUTION.
I am SO against BIG brother telling me what amount I HAVE to give of my hard earned money. AND this had absolutely NOTHING to do with SHARING (look up the definition of THAT word, too). that's the whole point... not "glitter pencils, or washable crayons, or star wars folders."
and you will find that most people who think the way I do are the BIGGEST sharers of all. It comes from our HEARTS, not a MANDATE. and, believe me, we teach our kids to SHARE. and.. it worked!!!!! My sons are adults now, and I am SO proud of the young men they have become, and the way they SHARE to the charitys THEY CHOOSE.

I can see how this thread is getting off track again, with the $40 jeans for a child. while I agree this is a bit much for a child's jeans:-)rotfl: ) that's not the point. If she has the wherewithall to spend that on her son's jeans, that is her CHOICE. and if she CHOOSES not to CONTRIBUTE to the "needy kids school supplies" fund, that is HER CHOICE. how do you know that she doesn't contribute to her church? or to any other charity? maybe she doesn't... HER CHOICE. look up the definition of CONTRIBUTION.
I am SO against BIG brother telling me what amount I HAVE to give of my hard earned money. AND this had absolutely NOTHING to do with SHARING (look up the definition of THAT word, too). that's the whole point... not "glitter pencils, or washable crayons, or star wars folders."
and you will find that most people who think the way I do are the BIGGEST sharers of all. It comes from our HEARTS, not a MANDATE. and, believe me, we teach our kids to SHARE. and.. it worked!!!!! My sons are adults now, and I am SO proud of the young men they have become, and the way they SHARE to the charitys THEY CHOOSE.

I honestly think the reason teachers ask for community supplies is NOT to supply things for the kids who don't bring in crayons, but to make the day easier. The teacher should not have to send a note home with students when their individual supply boxes dwindle, or they lost their scissors. I would rather send in a large amount at the beginning, and be done (or maybe have to send in supplies in the middle of the year), than have to run to staples several times when my children use or lose their stuff.

The idea that teachers are stockpiling scissors and rulers for their personal enjoyment (black market, maybe) is nuts! The amound of $ teachers spend on supplies, out of their pockets, is enormous.

If you want your precious child to have special glitter pencils, Hannah Montana folders, and special glue sticks, go ahead, keep them at home. At school, keep everything the same, and save on distractions. :headache:

I honestly think the reason teachers ask for community supplies is NOT to supply things for the kids who don't bring in crayons, but to make the day easier. The teacher should not have to send a note home with students when their individual supply boxes dwindle, or they lost their scissors. I would rather send in a large amount at the beginning, and be done (or maybe have to send in supplies in the middle of the year), than have to run to staples several times when my children use or lose their stuff.

The idea that teachers are stockpiling scissors and rulers for their personal enjoyment (black market, maybe) is nuts! The amound of $ teachers spend on supplies, out of their pockets, is enormous.

If you want your precious child to have special glitter pencils, Hannah Montana folders, and special glue sticks, go ahead, keep them at home. At school, keep everything the same, and save on distractions. :headache:

That would be perfectly fine with me if everyone had the same stuff. I just don't like the idea of the teacher taking everything I bought away and then passing out stuff thats not as nice as what I bought to my son. That's my biggest issue.

That would be perfectly fine with me if everyone had the same stuff. I just don't like the idea of the teacher taking everything I bought away and then passing out stuff thats not as nice as what I bought to my son. That's my biggest issue.

But that is why they ask for specific brands - they want everyone to have the same stuff! They are doing their best. :lovestruc

But that is why they ask for specific brands - they want everyone to have the same stuff! They are doing their best. :lovestruc

This varies from school to school and also from each individual teacher. Some say only crayola brands and washable markers. Others do not specify. Just because a parent wants to buy a specific brand doesn't mean they think their child is more special. DDs teachers have always allowed the homework folder to be any design, and it has not created a distraction in the classroom. I remember buying pencil boxes and pencils being a fun part of my childhood and it made me excited to go back to school. Now its yellow pencils, boring folders and white 3 ring binders. That's fine if it's for organization, but I am not sure how a 10 year old wouldn't know that the kitty folder that is labeled "homework" is for homework and the doggy one that says "social studies" is for social studies. :confused3

This varies from school to school and also from each individual teacher. Some say only crayola brands and washable markers. Others do not specify. Just because a parent wants to buy a specific brand doesn't mean they think their child is more special. DDs teachers have always allowed the homework folder to be any design, and it has not created a distraction in the classroom. I remember buying pencil boxes and pencils being a fun part of my childhood and it made me excited to go back to school. Now its yellow pencils, boring folders and white 3 ring binders. That's fine if it's for organization, but I am not sure how a 10 year old wouldn't know that the kitty folder that is labeled "homework" is for homework and the doggy one that says "social studies" is for social studies. :confused3

exactly! My son went school supply shopping with me to get excited about school.The first thing he ran to was a High School Musical folder. I told him it wasn't on the list, but we could get it and use it at home for his coloring sheets and stuff that he does at home. He was happy enough. I can understand in the classroom, when in the younger grades, a specified color for the folder for organization. BUT, I don't see anything against High School Musical pencils (which we bought and are sending with his name on them in his pencil box along with a million yellow ones LOL). I just don't understand how bringing in a cute eraser as opposed to the pink fat erasers is going to cause an issue. My son picked out the black erasers made by the people who make the pink ones. They are latex free and pvc free or something like that? lol. But he liked the black ones. Anyways, I think there needs to be a little room for freedom of expression - at least with pencils LOL

Speaking as someone who erases a lot (!) the pink ones work, and almost all others (except gum) suck. I find that even some of the erasers on the pencils stink.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter