Anyone else started Christmas shopping ?

We gave our oldest dd (18) her Christmas shopping budget. So far she has bought 2 diamond dot sets at Michaels. Two years ago I gave up on trying to buy her gifts. She doesn't do well with surprises and it just frustrated all of us. So now she gets a budget and buys her own gifts so everyone is happy. I still buy a few things on her Amazon wish list but nothing she hasn't asked for. I don't enjoy doing returns :santa:. Normally I'm done with our other two kids by Thanksgiving but I haven't even started this year.

I went to Walmart this morning to get some cat food and came out with a 65" tv for my mom for Christmas! I was really surprised they still had some in the store. I also was able to pick up a roomba 670 for 177.00 for me I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it.

Op here...

I have been a bit busy, dealing with my parents, trying to get ready to head to the mountains for some R and R, and Christmas shopping, and planning when either take my mom Christmas shopping or this year most likely, I will do their shopping and deliver of gift's for them.. Thanksgiving meal and Christmas meal planning and shopping, all the while slowly trying to get ready for another shut down that everyone seems to think is coming and... well... honestly.... I don't want to be caught without anything to do for sure if this happens, I have several projects that need things to finish them, as well as several sewing projects that I want to work on, that need some things, and a few new ones...

So last Friday, Kohls had a Black Friday sale... and it was a good for me and what I needed... I picked up the pot and pans, Calphalon 10 pc set... normally 300.00 for 149.00 then the 20% off coupon on the total... 119.00 Yay go me... Then I went over to the kids section for my grandson.. 3 long sleeves T-shirt, 2 pairs of the what I call jogging pants with the reinforced knees, and 1 pair of cargo pants. I made my friend drag me out of the boys department... I hit ladies up next for 3 shirt one each for myself, my mom and my DD... on sale for 4.99 then the 20% so like 4.00 nice price. then 2 pairs of leggings 6.99 each and then the 20% off... some how I ended up with a Christmas rug for my bathroom... I think I got out the door for right at 200.00 plus I got 45.00 in Kohls cash... :cool1: :cool1: :cool1:
It was crazy busy in Kohls, tons of people shopping, really shopping... the only thing is the Amazon return center... is in the back of the store on the main aisle... and with the line out in the aisle it was hard to get around and safely social distant... Hopefully that will get resolved before Christmas really get into full swing..

We hit up Ross, and the Ross that we shop at always seem to have higher end name brands... I treated myself to a new Calvin Klein crossbody handbag, 39.99... I saw the same one at Macys, for over like 249.00 I think... It was exactly what I wanted, and the strap was long enough... My friend scored a Micheal Khor's wallet/phone handbag on clearance for 29.99... so both of us where pretty happy with the handbags... She bought a bunch of other stuff, not sure what it was, mostly Christmas decor... wait now that I think about it....I know she scored 2 Micheal Kors dresses for around 15.00 and they are soooo cute...

We went to the dollar tree and I picked up things for our trip to the mountains...

I remember that I had Bath and Body coupons... So I am allergic to coconut... and most of their products now contain some form of coconut... so I can't touch the bottles, or try... the nicest sale person I have ever encountered in my life helped me to pick out and carried my items, all the way to check out... I have my DH's admin's gift covered, and some really nice stocking stuffers, for DD and my Mom.. It was buy 3 get 2, plus I had a free body item coupon, then as well as 6.00 coupon for the wall thingy, and 1 fragrance, then 20% total... 42.00 out the door...

It was a pretty good day all together... really got a chance to mark some things off my Christmas list...

So how is everyone else doing?

I picked up a pair of Isotoner slippers at Sam's Club for DD20s boyfriend yesterday when I went in for a meat and vegetable run :rolleyes1. I didn't plan to but at $8 they were a pretty good deal and DD assures me they will be used. I feel bad his "pile" for under our tree is smaller than DDs - which could be a dangerous feeling, both for my budget and other reasons. I'm torn between the fact that he's not my kid and don't want his parents to think I am trying to pull him away from them (I'm not - just the opposite really, I constantly encourage him to work on their relationship - which is strained - and spend more time with them), and wanting to show him he is welcome as an addition to our family. And while I believe DD and he are in it for the long haul, I don't want to over-embrace him so that DDs knows if she ever feels the need to end the relationship there should be absolutely no guilt there. But I just love Christmas and playing "Santa Mom". Sigh...it's a tightrope to walk.

Otherwise, to keep myself busy so I don't shop more, I started wrapping gifts yesterday. I got the paper on most of DDs gifts and the ribbon/bows on a few. I'm in the "great wrapping makes the gift" camp, so I like nice paper, fabric ribbons/bows, etc. But at least I get most of it on clearance at after Christmas sales, and go so far as to keep and reuse ribbon from year to year (I'll even iron the ribbon to make it look "new" again LOL) I did grab a couple of extra rolls of paper at DollarTree this year to fill out the color scheme I am using because most of DDs gifts are large boxes this time and I didn't quite have enough - DollarTree has some really nice Hallmark foil paper this year! The roll only has about 60% of the amount of paper as a normal single roll you'd buy someplace like Target, but at $1 I think it's still a really good deal. Normally I don't like DollarTree paper because it's too lightweight and tears too easily, but this really is good stuff.

Last edited:

Got some stainless steel wine tumblers and popcorn popper for husband from Macys with their friends and family sale. Then ordered king Arthur flour cheddar shake on Amazon for the popcorn yum!! Flannel boxers for 5.00 from old navy for his stocking. Old navy has the 50 percent off everything friends and family sale too! I think I am almost done shopping for DH.

MomToOne you sound like a very caring person! I think it's sweet how you think of your dd's boyfriend and how his parents will feel about your gift giving.

SwanVT2, I put the King Arthur cheddar on my wish list! I've never heard of that and it sounds so good. Thanks for posting.

I still haven't started shopping! But I bought myself a stocking stuffer. Macy's had a 5 Clinique lipstick gift set for $20.

I picked up a pair of Isotoner slippers at Sam's Club for DD20s boyfriend yesterday when I went in for a meat and vegetable run :rolleyes1. I didn't plan to but at $8 they were a pretty good deal and DD assures me they will be used. I feel bad his "pile" for under our tree is smaller than DDs - which could be a dangerous feeling, both for my budget and other reasons. I'm torn between the fact that he's not my kid and don't want his parents to think I am trying to pull him away from them (I'm not - just the opposite really, I constantly encourage him to work on their relationship - which is strained - and spend more time with them), and wanting to show him he is welcome as an addition to our family. And while I believe DD and he are in it for the long haul, I don't want to over-embrace him so that DDs knows if she ever feels the need to end the relationship there should be absolutely no guilt there. But I just love Christmas and playing "Santa Mom". Sigh...it's a tightrope to walk.

Otherwise, to keep myself busy so I don't shop more, I started wrapping gifts yesterday. I got the paper on most of DDs gifts and the ribbon/bows on a few. I'm in the "great wrapping makes the gift" camp, so I like nice paper, fabric ribbons/bows, etc. But at least I get most of it on clearance at after Christmas sales, and go so far as to keep and reuse ribbon from year to year (I'll even iron the ribbon to make it look "new" again LOL) I did grab a couple of extra rolls of paper at DollarTree this year to fill out the color scheme I am using because most of DDs gifts are large boxes this time and I didn't quite have enough - DollarTree has some really nice Hallmark foil paper this year! The roll only has about 60% of the amount of paper as a normal single roll you'd buy someplace like Target, but at $1 I think it's still a really good deal. Normally I don't like DollarTree paper because it's too lightweight and tears too easily, but this really is good stuff.

Take a little advice from a mother of 4--the piles are NEVER going to be equal! What we've found through the years is, none of the kids care what other kids got, they're just happy with what THEY got. Mine span 11 years--currently 14-25--so it's been common for the younger two to have larger piles as the older two got smaller, more expensive things. (We have a 6-year gap in the middle, so it's almost like raising two families.)

If you want a few items to improve the size of his pile, think consumables--a bag of nice coffee, some edible treats from Trader Joe's (Jingle Jangle is super popular here), maybe a few other things that aren't too expensive, but would be appreciated. I'm sure he's not expecting you to give him the equivalent of what you would give your DD.

Take a little advice from a mother of 4--the piles are NEVER going to be equal! What we've found through the years is, none of the kids care what other kids got, they're just happy with what THEY got. Mine span 11 years--currently 14-25--so it's been common for the younger two to have larger piles as the older two got smaller, more expensive things. (We have a 6-year gap in the middle, so it's almost like raising two families.)

If you want a few items to improve the size of his pile, think consumables--a bag of nice coffee, some edible treats from Trader Joe's (Jingle Jangle is super popular here), maybe a few other things that aren't too expensive, but would be appreciated. I'm sure he's not expecting you to give him the equivalent of what you would give your DD.

Yeah, I know the piles won't ever be equal - I have 4 siblings so I learned the drill growing up well LOL It's just the extreme disparity that makes me want to add a few more to his pile - but it's just a personal demon I need to battle. When I think rationally about it, what I have for him is more than fine given the situation. But he's here pretty much all day, every day, and tends to turn to me with issues instead of his parents because of the tension there, so he's become almost like a second child to me - except he doesn't argue with me endlessly LOL - and it's hard not to instinctively want to treat him close to the same as DD.

We bought Dd a pair of beats. Good deal! I just can’t remember the price right now lol! I keep asking her for a list but she really doesn’t really answer just gift card Target, dollar tree, and Jamba Juice. I will get her those gift cards, some money and some other stuff🤷🏽‍♀️. As dd gets older it gets harder but she’s never been one to have a huge list. It was easier and fun when she was little lol!

Now the day I have grandkids it will be fun to shop for little ones again.

I bought hubby two tool set things he wanted from Home Depot. He usually picks 1-2 things from Home Depot Black Friday so he gets it before Christmas. On Christmas Day I get him some gift cards. We both don’t really dont go all out for each other. I usually ask for pj’s , underwear 😂, and socks. Plus he will get me gift cards to Starbucks for sure and a couple other ones. Hubby and I are simple people. We already have what we need. we mainly focus on dd22 And that’s what makes us happy.

He will buy gift cards for his side of the family. This year we will just stay home , which will be nice. Dd and I are excited about getting to stay home. We will relax, eat all day And watch movies. No holiday gatherings for us.

Other than a couple of stocking fillers ( for will be 27 year old and 23 year old 😂) and a main gift for 23 year old, I am done. Also, both ‘children’ have birthdays between now and Christmas, and I have that covered too 😅.

Since I'm finished with my shopping, and everything is wrapped... please don't hate me... I have been assigned some of my MIL's shopping. Anyone have any recommendations for American Girl dolls/supplies at good prices?

Thank you!

I am almost done and it feels so good. I just need two gift cards for my sister and her daughter. I have to go purchase the gift cards for my 14 year old and a few clothing items, plus the stocking stuffers. It still seems like a lot, but if you’d seen my list...this is nothing. Lol.

Since I'm finished with my shopping, and everything is wrapped... please don't hate me... I have been assigned some of my MIL's shopping. Anyone have any recommendations for American Girl dolls/supplies at good prices?

Thank you!
I saw they had some American Girl outfits and accessories on zulily for decent prices.

Since I'm finished with my shopping, and everything is wrapped... please don't hate me... I have been assigned some of my MIL's shopping.

No hate - this is the budget board - a lot of us shop early because that's often when you get the best deals :)

I'm mostly done and did a fair part of my wrapping this weekend. So far I've only found 1 item that has a better BF price than I originally picked it up at - and it's not anything drastic. And I'll just return it - I knew this one was the biggest risk in buying early, so I just made sure I could return it after Black Friday. Most things I got at Black Friday or even better prices at various times these last few months. And I don't have the stress of waiting for delivery during the Christmas shipping crush.

Now I'm onto the "let me see if there is anything out there for myself that I didn't plan on buying but the deal is too good to pass up" stage LOL

I'm.. basically done. I wrapped everything up last week over two 3 hour sessions, and honestly I'm so glad I did because now I see stuff that I'm like "Hmmm they'd probably like that" and then I think of the pile that I already have.

So that's been very helpful to the budget!

We bought matching family pajamas (dinosaurs!), but last year we did matching for all the cousins, and this year my MiL stopped working again, so she's making the two little girls (my 7 year old and my 5 year old niece) matching dresses and shirts, then the big girls (they're 16, 15, 14, almost 13) matching pajama pants and black shirts, and matching scarves to wear with jeans and their black shirts. And thefive little kids are getting matching pajama pants and or shirts, depending on gender. Last year they all looked super adorable, and they actually do all love each other, so it's nice to get their pictures all together.

Last year we did a special one with just the little ones, the 3 6 year olds, 5 and 4, and we did a milk and cookie photo part of it and everyone loved it, so we ordered cookies for those, that's basically all that's left to pay for!

Santa only fills the stockings here, and normally I'm kind of scrambling for good stuff to put in them, but this year I'm even done with that.

It feels weird to be on the ball, honestly!

Got DD age 8 stocking stuffers: sloth stress squishy from Kohls, Minecraft hat from old navy 50 percent off sale, haribo gummy bears, husky hand sanitizer holder with backpack clip and apple scented sanitizers from.bath and body

I finally started by buying "The Child" squishmallow for my ds12. I'm struggling to find gifts for him this year. He has outgrown toys. He still loves legos but he only found 2 sets in the lego catalog that he liked.

I told the kids to finalize their lists by Thanksgiving. I need to start looking for deals!

OP here,

I Hit the stores for a while yesterday, until the wind and rain started up... then for sure it was time to head home.

I went back to Kohl's to spend my Kohl's cash (45.00) - (plus 15% off total) ... I picked up 3 small star wars lego's sets for my DGS, 2 x 9.99 & 1 X 14.99 - no discounted sales price, I know these will go with some other things that Santa is bring him... I got my Dad a shirt, he has lost so much weight that his clothes are just hanging on him.. and picked up a pair lounge pants for DH, these are for our mountain trip to lounge around in.. I ended up spending 11 dollars of my own money ... not bad...

Went to Macys... It drives me crazy, when they do some weird plan-o-gram upheaval, that doesn't make any sense.... I went looking for 2 items and I walked all over 2 floors ...ask 3 or 4 associates, and no-one had any idea of where anything was at... I finally gave up and said forget it... so I will have to make another trip over there...

Headed over to my favorite store, DSW... and I totally struck out... nothing...

It had not started raining buckets yet so I made one more stop, at Home Goods, and I picked up several items here, for my Cousin and his wife. We always get each other things like gourmet food items, that we normally would not buy for ourselves... So I picked up a hot sauce set 8 different types, some fancy beer nuts, and huge jar of olives with pearl onions, peppers, and cornichons. He loves this kinda stuff... For her some fancy tea in a really nice Tin container, some almond biscotti.. (I already have a blanket scarf and a necklace for her to add to what I got yesterday) I found a gift card that I thought that I had already used, so I used it, and then only additional 4.00 bucks... I did pretty dang good yesterday..

So really I only spent like 15.00 out of pocket yesterday.. So pretty dang sweet...

So I was going out today some more, but the weather is not cooperating. Maybe tomorrow.

Happy Shopping everyone... Get those deals...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter