Anyone ever had a less than magical trip to WDW and felt a bit lost afterwards?

I think we just set things up in our heads on the way we want the experience(s) to be. That is my problem. I fantasize/romanticize about the trip for so long. I plan it out so well and in the end I am a tiny bit disappointed by something. My dd and I were there at the end of March and while there I said to her that I think I am over it for whatever reason - dirty room, dirty food court, too many people, seen it all before, etc. Here we are 2 months later and we are talking about making it a yearly trip, just the 2 of us, until we stay at every resort lol! It's all what you make it I guess.

We went two years ago after not going for 4 years. It wasn't so magical. My son was 15 and complained for 3 straight days. If we were eating here why couldn't we eat there. If we were going left why couldn't we go right. If we were going right why couldn't we go left. If we were riding this ride why couldn't we ride that one instead. If we got up at 7 am why couldn't we get up at 7:05 am. Then my DD who is usually the go with the flow kid would think she's missing out on something and join in. It was NON STOP. To the point where I had a lost it on him while leaving the MK (we were leaving because he wouldn't stop complaining and I had had enough) and told him if he didn't quit it I was sending him home as an unassisted minor and his father would pick him up at the airport. His father was on board with it and we were actually looking up flights for the next morning. My son straightened up after that but I was so ready to send him home.

I've learned that our trips just won't be the same. We have to vacation different. It was so much easier when they were little. They were just happy to be there. Anything we did was excitement for them. They enjoyed everything. Now they have opinions and requests and a different attitude towards things.

With that said, my son has apologized and wants to go back but I'm not really feeling like going as a family unit anytime soon. Too many different opinions and different interests. I felt like I was being pulled in too many directions.

We've done different vacations the last two years and have DR coming up. DS is goingto WDW for his senior trip in March and he is so excited! I've used this as an opportunity to go on a mother/daughter trip to WDW next year. I hope it restores the magic I felt I lost last trip.

Last edited:
Maybe your next Disney trip should be just your husband and you, so you can focus less on planning and more on playing?

I tend to find the family oriented trips less "magical", because I spend the entire time trying to make sure everyone else is having fun. When it's a "mom-and-dad only" trip, I definitely experience much more personal "magic".

Which isn't to say I don't love family vacations and bonding with the kids, etc, but it's definitely more of a "working vacation". And this is something that actually became more true as the kids got older. When they were little, the magic just happened and I could experience it vicariously through their eyes. And if someone was unhappy... well, they probably just need a nap. As they got older, they developed specific tastes and opinions and desires, and making the vacation go smoothly became a lot more mentally challenging. And sometimes, yes, they still just need a nap, but you can't send a young adult to their bed! :laughing:

Last fall, we took the whole family to Universal (me, husband, dd 20, ds 19). It was a successful trip, but exhausting, and I did not end that vacation with an overwhelming desire to go back to Universal. In fact, I probably could have shelved it for the next three years, the way I was feeling. However, we had a trip with just my husband and me booked for this past May. And this one was truly relaxing and fun! I'm so glad I went.

Sometimes you just need to stop being "Mom" for awhile.

The last time I came home feeling the way you do, we took a break. We didn't visit for about two years, and we also tried going during a different time of year in hopes of not encountering the same types of crowds. Thankfully, our last trip was perfect and got me excited for Disney again. But I also agree with what others have said about lowering your expectations and going with the flow a bit more. I plan to a certain extent, but I know that things happen and plans don't always go the way you expect, and I try not to let changes of plans upset me. As a result, my kids and hubby are pretty going about the vacations as well.

When Mrs. Homie and I went in 2005, though our stay was unbelievably magical, when it came time to leave we were both desperately ready to come home. Looking back on it I see where we made a few mistakes.

1. We went too early in the fall. Our previous trips had been in late October; this was early October. The difference in the weather was appreciable - it was way hotter than our previous trips.
2. Similarly, the crowds were bigger than we were accustomed to. Poor planning on our part.
3. We completely forgot that Extra Magic Hours were a thing. A mistake we will not make again, lol.
4. Worst of all, though, we just "came in too high," so to speak. We went there thinking we'd cram in every last bit of magic into our trip. Long story short, we didn't budget enough time for just taking it wasy. Another mistake we won't make again.

Our last trip in 2013 was like that. Nothing major, just a bunch of little things that made it a less than magical trip. We decided to take a Disney break. We're going back this year, but as an add on to another trip (cruise). We're just doing 4 days/3 nights with a two day park hopper. We're mostly going so DH can see Pandora. I'm hoping to feel the magic this time!

I'm just echoing some earlier posts. But our approach is now to go to Florida and relax, and throw in one Disney park day. Yes, it's technically more expensive in the long run, but it sure does keep the parks fresh and exciting.

Oh it's just an east coast thing. Every person in Disney world besides you was an east coast person. We all let our children be out of control. :sad2:

LOL. I haven't been to Disneyland in 2 years, HOWEVER, a co-worker who is a former WDW Character and Florida native said in her opinion, this announcement IS an east coast thing!:flower1:

Last edited:
I don't post much but your post made me want to reply. My husband and both our adult kids are teachers. I know that at the end of the year they are exhasted and the last thing they would want to do is go to Disney right away. We have been going to Disney forever, usually two times a year. I will tell you the one and only time we went right after school got out was not my favorite trip. This was years ago, but we have never planned a trip for that time of year again. We like August so we can stay for two weeks and really enjoy it. We also go between Christmas and new year. I know I know very crowded but we have been so many times that we know what we're doing. We also fly (we live in Boston). We drove one time, our first time with just the two of us and said never again. Now some people like the drive. My brother drives down there 2-3 times a year from Boston and he loves it. It's just not for us. Maybe this is one of your issues. Disney is a tiring vacation if you go commando style, which we DO NOT. Ha ha. Add a long car ride and it will diminish the Magic. Like others said maybe you need a break from Disney or maybe try another approach. The way we do Disney would make most people on the dis cringe. BUT it works for us.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Agree with so much Magpie had to say, and Disney Mim. We are longtime DVCr's, like over 20 yrs. So we go to WDW every year when school lets out. Our drive takes 1 1/2 days, so much less than yours. The drive is kinda 2 sided for us. WE hate flying, and we do get to pack everyone's favorite toys, food etc. But it's still a long time in the car. Then I spend so much time planning and making lists. We have season passes to BG Williamsburg, so Sea World and Aquatica are free for us. They are fun once you get there, but Orlando traffic is so crazy!

The one thing that has probably dented the magic for me is the price of tickets going up so high. I can't remember what they were back in the late 80, early 90s, when we first started going, but they were cheap. With them being so high, over $125 for MK per person, just last week, we feel compelled to stay longer in the park to get our money's worth. And it's summer, so of course the parks are crowded. Our kids still love this trip, but I personally would just rather hang out at the beach, or someplace calmer.

I really wish we had the time to tack on a few days at Cocoa Beach after the WDW trip. DH is always buried at work, so he can't take the extra time.

Mokat76 (love your cat by the way- gorgeous!) I think I most certainly do that- I'm a bit of a perfectionist in some ways and always have really high expectations for myself. I definitely think you're on to something.
Aww. Thanks. That's Truman. He's a sweetheart.
I'm the same way about trips, which is probably why it jumped out at me. I enjoy the planning and organizing so it's a bit of a letdown if/when reality doesn't measure up. WDW is such hard work for me now that I've put myself on a personal break until that feeling again becomes overwhelmed by the joy and excitement of going back.

My daughter and I went last year after not having been to Disney for a couple years- it was the trip from hell. First day there she got the flu, second day there I had the flu- she stayed in bed for a day and a half and I was more like 2 days in bed- all I saw was dollar signs ticking by for money we were wasting sitting in a hotel room! Luckily her friend didn't get sick too so while I was still in bed the kids took bus to the park and hung in as long as my daughter could (she was still running fevers so it was just a few hours and she had to come back and rest before going back out)- Finally our last day there was the day we were going to Discovery Cove and we both felt good by then but the bulk of the trip sucked!

Oh it's just an east coast thing. Every person in Disney world besides you was an east coast person. We all let our children be out of control. :sad2:

The only bad to I've had to recent memory was last September. It just wasn't what I was expecting. It was way too hot and poured every night. It was really crowded too. I didn't have a bad time. It just was less fun than I was expecting. I went back on a short trip a few month later and it was great.

Well of course. People from other parts of the country/world don't travel to WDW. LOL

I think people set themselves up for disappointment by forgetting that Disney is a real world place. People don't all of a sudden change their personalities when they cross onto Disney property, the weather doesn't care if you are on vacation, etc. Couple that with over planning, and you are sure to experience a let down.

I suggest trying a different vacation, maybe something not Disney related at all. It's a big, beautiful world out there with so much to see. Get your family involved in the planning and let them help decide the trip. Find out what they want. I have been to Disney more times than I can count, but we always made sure we took other vacations with input from the kids.

And the line about out of control kids being an East Coast thing? I have never heard that announcement before in my life. And considering that people visiting WDW are from all over the world, well, thanks for the laugh!

My daughter and I went last year after not having been to Disney for a couple years- it was the trip from hell. First day there she got the flu, second day there I had the flu- she stayed in bed for a day and a half and I was more like 2 days in bed- all I saw was dollar signs ticking by for money we were wasting sitting in a hotel room! Luckily her friend didn't get sick too so while I was still in bed the kids took bus to the park and hung in as long as my daughter could (she was still running fevers so it was just a few hours and she had to come back and rest before going back out)- Finally our last day there was the day we were going to Discovery Cove and we both felt good by then but the bulk of the trip sucked!

You sent your kid into the park with the flu? Nice. :sad2:

I have had two trips that were, generally, awful. The first was in 2012. Everything seemed to go wrong. Then, Hurricane Sandy hit and I had to cut my trip short and fly in ahead of the storm and had to spend hours dealing with flight cancellations, rebooking into a different airport, then stayed up all night to catch that 6am flight to an airport that I then had to rent a car from to drive to the OTHER airport where my car was parked. It was an awful end to an aggravating trip (It was a solo trip, but I was given a terrible room at WL, then had HORRIBLE luck with transportation and wasted SO much time and since I was only there a few days, I was so irritated by that).

Then in 2013 we tagged a WDW stay (4 nights) onto the end of a 3 night Dream cruise. The cruise was fine. The WDW portion was like one long meltdown from both our kids. It was August, and the heat just did them in. We had the pleasure of a 90 minute meltdown from our son who has autism. His brother accidentally spilled water on him at lunch at Gasparillas one day. You would think his hair was on fire. It was epic. And we had to get back to the WL from GF all while it was happening. Fun times. That trip scarred my husband for life, apparently. He never wants to go back in summer or stay at WL again. It had been our favorite hotel prior to that (stayed ther for our honeymoon). :(

So, I totally understand how you feel. However, I never stopped going. Bad trips will happen anywhere, not just at WDW. And it IS my happy place, so I will never give it up. I have returned several times since 2013. And have had wonderful trips each time. I will say, though, I am NOT a planner. I might make FP+ reservations a couple weeks out, but that's it. I get ADRs while I'm there (there is a LOT of last minute availability these days, even at popular places). I sleep in, go wherever I feel like that day, and don't try and cram it all in. I actually took my kids last August and totally changed up our routine to avoid the heat. Didn't enter the parks until at least 5pm...spent our late mornings (let the kids sleep in) at the hotel pool or one of the water parks. Took cover in our room during the afternoon storms, and headed out fresh and ready for the parks when most people were leaving in defeat. Stayed until closing and took advantage of evening EMH. It was very enjoyable.

Sometimes you have to realize that what you've been doing for years doesn't work anymore. Tweak it and find the strategy that works to make everyone's trip more enjoyable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter