Anyone hear about a small boat accident in St. Lucia this past week?

Several had injuries from what I am hearing. Details seem mixed though on what actually occurred.

Is somebody going to come out and say exactly what happened? Do I have to be concerned that one of the DCL ships ran over a small dinghy? Was it a water taxi that was operated by a drunk driver? Did somebody rent a boat and have faulty equipment? Let’s share what’s going on so we know what to consider for our futures or lock the thread. I’m good with either decision.

I don't have any facts, that is why I asked---- Disney excursion catamaran, accident with non-Disney speedboat-- bumping, rough waves. Catamaran sank ?? We had all aboard time of 4:45 but didn't leave until 2am. Some injuries, but nothing life threatening. I am not on the facebook group that shared info. Maybe Ohio State Buckeye can elaborate.

We were scheduled to have an early all aboard time but not sail until 2.00am. St Lucia was not considered to be a safe port for guests to be out at night.

Friends just heard from Concierge the late departure was due to a problem, but they didnt' specify.

Is somebody going to come out and say exactly what happened? Do I have to be concerned that one of the DCL ships ran over a small dinghy? Was it a water taxi that was operated by a drunk driver? Did somebody rent a boat and have faulty equipment? Let’s share what’s going on so we know what to consider for our futures or lock the thread. I’m good with either decision.

If DCL ran over a small boat it would have made the news....I was on that cruise but did not hear about the incident until I returned home. We were told by several CM's that we were staying late in St. Lucia for a shipment of bottled water since we could not get it in San Juan.

From what I understand a small speedboat on a non DCL excursion started taking on water and sank. Another nearby boat came to their aid. A few injuries and some lost their possessions like passports. That is all I know.

I don't think there is a conspiracy to keep info from anyone but more that those on the FB page may not frequent here that much so no info came through on the Dis.

MJ

If DCL ran over a small boat it would have made the news....I was on that cruise but did not hear about the incident until I returned home.
MJ
I was sure DCL had not hit anyone just for that reason. And because I have a halo opinion of our captains. Well at least there’s a few facts now.
•Nobody died, but some got hurt.
•A smaller boat took-on water
•Disney guests were involved
•Disney ship left port really late.
Well that’s enough for me.
I’m glad people are alive. And I hope nobody is further harmed by the problems from the incident (including the business that had the problem)

From the Facebook post it seemed that the biggest issue for the late departure was that some guests had lost passports and they needed to get in touch with local embassies to get them temporary documents to finish out the trip.

We were scheduled to have an early all aboard time but not sail until 2.00am. St Lucia was not considered to be a safe port for guests to be out at night.
I was on that sailing. I called down to Guest services and asked why were hadn’t left yet. They told me they were refilling the water tanks and would be leaving by 2am.

From the Facebook post it seemed that the biggest issue for the late departure was that some guests had lost passports and they needed to get in touch with local embassies to get them temporary documents to finish out the trip.
Wow getting passports is so scary. I’ll bet they had a Disney rep with them the whole time after the got back on land. They have people trained to handle those situations with passports and medical emergencies that happen while in ports. I’ll bet that’s a stressful job.

Glad there were no serious injuries. We never take our passports off the ship at the ports we've been to, we've only done Alaska, WC, and EC. Do you need them at some ports?
That is a good question.

We were on that cruise as well...were told by another passenger that a boat with DCL guests on excursion took on water fast and sank. All were rescued quickly by a second boat but many lost their possessions they had brought on board and one woman suffered a broken wrist.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter