Anyone receive the survey about future properties?

we"reofftoneverland

DIS Veteran
I did and was shocked to see that they appear to be leaning on building properties outside of wdw. They asked we would buy in locations like Hong Kong, Tokyo, Breckinridge, Vail, Maui, Oahu, Bahamas, New Hampshire, New York, Lake Tahoe, San Diego... and wdw and dL.

I did and was shocked to see that they appear to be leaning on building properties outside of wdw. They asked we would buy in locations like Hong Kong, Tokyo, Breckinridge, Vail, Maui, Oahu, Bahamas, New Hampshire, New York, Lake Tahoe, San Diego... and wdw and dL.

They already have four DVC properties outside of WDW. Why would this shock you that they might consider building more? Also I wouldn't say that they are "leaning" on building more of these properties just because the locations are mentioned on a survey. Surveys can come into very early on in the research phase, when it's simply a pie in the sky idea.

They built the best DVC property in the world on Oahu (Aulani). The other resorts pale in comparison IMO... and they're still having trouble selling out the resort. They are probably hesitant to go through that process again, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if they eventually do.

Please Please Please Please everyone who receive this, tell them you'd buy immediately a DVC resort in Tokyo. Please please please. I'd love to have an options to use my points for the TDR. Please please please.
Id love to see them at all the Disney parks. Question is International laws, and while I would certainly love to be able to use my points at the foreign parks (really have to get to disney seas), I do not think many US people would buy there, and I wonder what other cultures are like with regard to the whole time share concept. It is curious to see...

Id love to see them at all the Disney parks. Question is International laws, and while I would certainly love to be able to use my points at the foreign parks (really have to get to disney seas), I do not think many US people would buy there, and I wonder what other cultures are like with regard to the whole time share concept. It is curious to see...

I seem to remember reading once that the timeshare concept originated in England with families pooling together to buy houses on the coast. I have absolutely zero idea about any other countries.

New Hampshire? As a resident, this surprises me

What is it they say, you don't know what you have till it's gone? When I lived in Massachusetts and went camping in the White Mountains, it was just OK. Then after 23 years in another part of the country, I went back for a week's vacation to New Hampshire. I couldn't believe how beautiful it was. We'd definitely go there if the built a DVC in New Hampshire, Cape Cod too but that one's not on the list.

I seem to remember reading once that the timeshare concept originated in England with families pooling together to buy houses on the coast. I have absolutely zero idea about any other countries.

I’ve read that Aulani was built with Japanese owners in mind and that it was the first DVC to offer fixed weeks because that’s the timeshare model the Japanese are familiar with.

They already have four DVC properties outside of WDW. Why would this shock you that they might consider building more? Also I wouldn't say that they are "leaning" on building more of these properties just because the locations are mentioned on a survey. Surveys can come into very early on in the research phase, when it's simply a pie in the sky idea.

They built the best DVC property in the world on Oahu (Aulani). The other resorts pale in comparison IMO... and they're still having trouble selling out the resort. They are probably hesitant to go through that process again, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if they eventually do.

Aren't all of their off site locations pretty much failures? The main thing DVC has going for it is their location next to the theme parks, without those theme parks they are nothing special and would have a hard time competing with other timeshare companies.

Though Aulani is a beautiful resort and has many fans, the difficulty DVC has in selling it underscores two main problems: The travel distance and the draw of the area itself. I think a lot of people love the idea of going to Hawaii but probably only once and then that itch has been scratched. Any prospective offsite DVC will face the same problems, at least those to be marketed to US residents. The travel distance must be reasonable and the draw of the area (like theme parks in Orlando) needs to have large scale appeal. (Which kind of leaves out ski resorts simply because many people don't ski)

I would be interested in buying if it was at DL but I understand timeshare laws and space may be the major obstacles in that actually happening.

Aren't all of their off site locations pretty much failures? The main thing DVC has going for it is their location next to the theme parks, without those theme parks they are nothing special and would have a hard time competing with other timeshare companies.

I wouldn't consider Aulani or Vero to be failures. Aulani is pretty much their crowned Jewel of resorts. Their inability to sell out the DVC points shouldn't be mistaken for an inability to turn a profit.

Though Aulani is a beautiful resort and has many fans, the difficulty DVC has in selling it underscores two main problems: The travel distance and the draw of the area itself. I think a lot of people love the idea of going to Hawaii but probably only once and then that itch has been scratched. Any prospective offsite DVC will face the same problems, at least those to be marketed to US residents. The travel distance must be reasonable and the draw of the area (like theme parks in Orlando) needs to have large scale appeal. (Which kind of leaves out ski resorts simply because many people don't ski)

Aulani is targeted largely towards Japanese families, but yeah it isn't easy to get to for anyone.

I don't think the appeal of Hawaii is the issue here. So much to see and do there and it's breath-taking. But I do think the difficulty to get there is a deterrent.

I haven't received the survey but interesting to see the locations that they're asking about. Tokyo and Hong Kong would be excellent places for a DVC location.

I just read my original post and realized I forgot to put Paris and Shanghai. They asked about those two as well. New Hampshire was a ski resort, but I cannot remember where now. And the Bahamas location was on the island they just purchased for dcl (lighthouse point). NY was NYC. I answered that we would be interested in buying Vail, Breckinridge, DL, and Lake Tahoe. We would also be interested in visiting the Bahamas, Oahu, Maui, Tokyo, and Paris but not buying there. Not interested in China at all period (sorry, Hong Kong). Basically we would not want to purchase outside of the US— or in Hawaii. We might be interested in Hawaii if we lived on the west coast, but we do not. And the northeast coast location are meh for us. We associate places like NYC with work not vacation. We were there recently for dh for work and it was a mess anyway. They need to clean that city up. What is up with La Guardia? Complete mess.

I cannot believe for one second Disney will ever build another DVC outside a Park footprint, regardless of any survey. As I have mentioned before on other topics, there is an imbalance of points coming in from HHI, Aulani, and VB which totally taxes the WDW system. Disney is not going to stop build the cabins because it makes them tons of MONEY. So the only way to get some kind of balance back is to sell HHI and VB. As to Aulani, I have no clue what the long term answer is on this point hog.

The Bahamas one intrigues me, Eleuthera is gorgeous. It would be too difficult to get to for yearly trips though IMO. Have to connect via Nassau on small airlines.

Agree with others that any non-park location is highly doubtful despite the survey. Tokyo has the most passionate fan base, I could see that one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter