Anyone receive the survey about future properties?

Most ski areas, at least in New England, are becoming year round destinations with adding down hill mountain biking, zip lining, and mountain coasters. In fact, Berkshire East in my neck of the woods has a better mountain biking season now, than a ski season.

Various ski resorts have been doing that for years. It’s a mixed model and rarely tends to be a huge winner. Just a small revenue generator during the Summer.

Various ski resorts have been doing that for years. It’s a mixed model and rarely tends to be a huge winner. Just a small revenue generator during the Summer.

I can't see this working for DVC given the inherent seasonality vs. the 365-day timeshare model.

I can't see this working for DVC given the inherent seasonality vs. the 365-day timeshare model.
I own another timeshare, mostly based in Europe and their sky resorts are not opened 365 days a year. It depends on the resort, but many are closed completely for a few months and have very low points requirements during the summer to attract visitors.
Not saying DVC should do it, their resorts offsite have never sold well, but they may be finishing places for onsite hotels.

To me, it looks like they are probably exploring expanding trading opportunities, rather than building DVC resorts not on WDW property. There's a big difference between "I'd go there" and I'd buy there".

I just can't believe they think they can easily sell DVC resorts that aren't on property. I'm also not thrilled about adding more competition to the 7 month windows.

We were in Aspen for a few days last summer and it was empty. Beautiful, but empty. But I do hope they do a ski resort for dvc. We would go any time of year.
I'm not sure about the other New England resorts, but Berkshire East is booming during the summer. I'm really happy for the family that owns it, because they have endured through some really bad years. They also installed a couple of wind turbines, that pay for all their energy, hope to see other ski areas do this as well so they can keep these places running.

To me, it looks like they are probably exploring expanding trading opportunities, rather than building DVC resorts not on WDW property. There's a big difference between "I'd go there" and I'd buy there".

I just can't believe they think they can easily sell DVC resorts that aren't on property. I'm also not thrilled about adding more competition to the 7 month windows.

Another reason why it seems more like a trading option is that it's very unlikely a new offsite resort could survive the resale restriction model. With the difficulty of sales in the past can you imagine if buyers do some research and learn that if they needed or wanted to sell their offsite points they'd need to find a buyer who only wanted to stay there?

Another reason why it seems more like a trading option is that it's very unlikely a new offsite resort could survive the resale restriction model. With the difficulty of sales in the past can you imagine if buyers do some research and learn that if they needed or wanted to sell their offsite points they'd need to find a buyer who only wanted to stay there?
Imagine try to sell a VB , HHI, or Alauni contract with these restrictions now, might get $25/point. pirate:

They would have to build a lot of new resorts so that group has something for trading. What a mess.

Last edited:
Imagine try to sell a VB , HHI, or Alauni contract with these restrictions now, might get $25/point. pirate:
They would have to build a lot of new resorts so that group had something for trading. What a mess.
The restrictions are for trading internally to other DVC resorts. While that's a turn off for most of us, don't most who buy timeshares trade via RCI or II or the like? I believe RCI is still an option for Riviera resale purchasers and AFAIK, almost all of the other timeshares belong to some type of trading group.

The restrictions are for trading internally to other DVC resorts. While that's a turn off for most of us, don't most who buy timeshares trade via RCI or II or the like? I believe RCI is still an option for Riviera resale purchasers and AFAIK, almost all of the other timeshares belong to some type of trading group.

If buying for an outside trader though DVC is not the one. It's price would have to drop to virtually zero. The resale buyer looking to do that would definitely not buy the offsite DVC unless it were cheap cheap cheap.

Most ski areas, at least in New England, are becoming year round destinations with adding down hill mountain biking, zip lining, and mountain coasters. In fact, Berkshire East in my neck of the woods has a better mountain biking season now, than a ski season.
I live in Connecticut so I might be biased here, but I think a New Hampshire or Vermont ski resort would do very well. Especially if they placed it on a lake. They could have all the activities you listed above along with a bunch of beach lake activities most of the year. The fall would be a big draw as there are a lot of people who would be drawn to the New England fall foliage change. Its actually really beautiful and I see lot of out of state plates in the fall as they drive north to see the it. Then of course you would have the winter ski season. I really think there could be year round demand for this type of resort. Especially with over 40 million people living within a few hours drive.

I live in Connecticut so I might be biased here, but I think a New Hampshire or Vermont ski resort would do very well. Especially if they placed it on a lake. They could have all the activities you listed above along with a bunch of beach lake activities most of the year. The fall would be a big draw as there are a lot of people who would be drawn to the New England fall foliage change. Its actually really beautiful and I see lot of out of state plates in the fall as they drive north to see the it. Then of course you would have the winter ski season. I really think there could be year round demand for this type of resort. Especially with over 40 million people living within a few hours drive.
Intriguing...imagine if the 4 non-park related resorts could cross-book 11-months with one sister park of their choosing...now we're talking synergy! Buy Aulani points, get 11-month window for New Hampshire skiing in winter. Buy Vermont and be assured you get to tan in Aulani in June during Hawaii peak-season. DVD, are you following this thread? Lol.

Intriguing...imagine if the 4 non-park related resorts could cross-book 11-months with one sister park of their choosing...now we're talking synergy! Buy Aulani points, get 11-month window for New Hampshire skiing in winter. Buy Vermont and be assured you get to tan in Aulani in June during Hawaii peak-season. DVD, are you following this thread? Lol.
This is an interesting idea for the non-WDW/DL resorts, that might get a few more Aulani points sold on the East Coast.

This is an interesting idea for the non-WDW/DL resorts, that might get a few more Aulani points sold on the East Coast.
Maybe, but IMHO, it just increases the number if points eligible to compete for home resort priority booking. at each resort. If I buy a ski resort to go in peak season, the last thing I want is more people trying to get the time I want.

Maybe, but IMHO, it just increases the number if points eligible to compete for home resort priority booking. at each resort. If I buy a ski resort to go in peak season, the last thing I want is more people trying to get the time I want.
Sure, just point out the huge whole in that idea....... :worship:

I live in Connecticut so I might be biased here, but I think a New Hampshire or Vermont ski resort would do very well. Especially if they placed it on a lake. They could have all the activities you listed above along with a bunch of beach lake activities most of the year.

Whenever Disney weighs locations for its next $250 million timeshare property, the economics of another WDW resort will always look better than off-site. There simply aren't 15,000 families willing to spend $188+ per point to own a Disney ski resort. Just like Hawaii, HHI and Vero, the process of marketing the resort would be tedious, often convincing people to buy less-profitable points at these off-site locations rather than the more profitable park destinations.

They're better off just growing the internal trading options.

No hole...no hole...⚫

All they need to do is build three ski resorts to balance out the warm-weather non-park beach resorts. 😉

New Hampshire, Vail, and Lake Tahoe I say! Solve the problem of Aulani not selling out and Vero Beach and HHI being undervalued. Don’t members think those resorts deserve a little boost? Pair each one with a sister ski resort.

I think they are trying to appeal to the buyer who says maybe I don’t want to only vacation at wdw— and I am not interested in another timeshare exchange like RCI or whatever it is called. I think they are trying to expand their buying pool.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter