Anyone think status should be based on days cruised rather than cruises?

There is 1 class of passengers that I've never seen discussed in these threads.... the kids! My kids are platinum and haven't spent a dime, well except at the gift shop. The 3rd and 4th person in a cabin are less money than the first two. On our first cruise we got a kids sail free deal, but it still counted as a cruise taken for them. So whenever my kids come of age and paying their own way, they will have all the perks that I do.
I'm half joking, so don't flame me, but I've always found it an interesting loophole in this discussion. I guess if it wasn't for the kids, I probably wouldn't have tried DCL.

You Win :worship:

Next topic please . . .

There is 1 class of passengers that I've never seen discussed in these threads.... the kids! My kids are platinum and haven't spent a dime, well except at the gift shop. The 3rd and 4th person in a cabin are less money than the first two. On our first cruise we got a kids sail free deal, but it still counted as a cruise taken for them. So whenever my kids come of age and paying their own way, they will have all the perks that I do.
I'm half joking, so don't flame me, but I've always found it an interesting loophole in this discussion. I guess if it wasn't for the kids, I probably wouldn't have tried DCL.

RCCL has a lot more levels than DCL, but what they do is: the kids are the same level as their parents up until they turn 18. Then, when they turn 18, they retain that level BUT they have to earn the points to progress further on their own.

Personally, I don't think there is a single measurement version that will please everyone. Why should 7-nights in an inside room be the same reward as 7-nights in a deluxe family verandah. Why should a 14-night cruise be the same reward as a 3-night cruise. Why should a 4-night oceanview room be the same reward as 4-night Concierge in the Walt suite, etc, etc.

I like the point system (I forget which cruise line uses it but it was posted in one of the previous discussions). 1 point per night for inside room, 2 points per night for verandah, 4 points per night for Concierge and extra 1 point for every $250 spent on board. Something like that. Then levels are based on number of points.
Silver after first cruise, Gold after 100 points, Platinum after 200 points.

This version would accommodate all types of loyalty (length of cruise, amount spent on room, amount spent onboard, etc).

Shoot - I would move up like crazy just on what I spend in the stores ;)

I do not understand why Florida residents get a discount when sailing out of Florida but Texas and California residents do not get a discount when sailing out of Galveston or San Diego?

Also, does a 2 night cruise really count toward your status. It just says completing a "qualified" cruise. Does a 2 night qualify?

I believe that early on DCL used to determine club level by number of cruise days but than switched to the current plan.

I do not understand why Florida residents get a discount when sailing out of Florida but Texas and California residents do not get a discount when sailing out of Galveston or San Diego?

Also, does a 2 night cruise really count toward your status. It just says completing a "qualified" cruise. Does a 2 night qualify?

I'm sure the resident discounts are just to fill up the ships. Since Florida has the most sailings and they are year-round, they need to offer incentives to people that can book last minute, without needing flights, etc. The other locations have much fewer cruises so they tend to fill the ships without needing to offer discounts.

I'll bet if they move a ship to the West Coast full time when the new ships arrive, you will see start to see more discounts on those.

And yes, the 2-night cruises qualify.

Got as high I could could go with Disney now working on RCCL.

The DCL loyalty program has nothing to do with concierge or stateroom type. It's based on number of cruises. I think that part of the system is fine as is, but could use better incentives.

True, but the proposal was to make it a value based system. So for concierge, that would be a benefit, and it should be. You should earn more of your way to status with the amount you spend.....

True, but the proposal was to make it a value based system. So for concierge, that would be a benefit, and it should be. You should earn more of your way to status with the amount you spend.....
So "loyalty" should be based on how much money you can spend on a cruise?

or New York residents when sailing out of NYC ???, but residents from Canada do?

Life is just not fair.:sad:

I'm sure the resident discounts are just to fill up the ships. Since Florida has the most sailings and they are year-round, they need to offer incentives to people that can book last minute, without needing flights, etc. The other locations have much fewer cruises so they tend to fill the ships without needing to offer discounts.

If they are just trying to fill up the ships, why restrict the discounts to just Florida residents. If I live in Virginia and am willing to pay the last minute travel expenses, why shouldn't I be able to book for the same discount as someone who like in Fl?

Because, California & Texas cruises don't need to lure returning cruisers like the ones out of Florida do.

Yes a 2 night cruise is a "qualifying" cruise. A non-qualifying cruise would be, say a charter cruise. And cruise that DCL is selling directly is qualifying.

I hope not. I have only stayed in 4A and 5A cabins so far, so I'm paying more than others but I also get something for that money (more space, a better location, a balcony, etc.) Same with the concierge levels, it costs more but you get something for that extra money. I'm fine with it the way it is (even though the upcoming 10 night won't bump us up to gold), but I do think taking length into account somehow could make sense (as in x number of cruises OR x number of nights would take you to a certain level). As I said, though, it's not a dealbreaker for my family. I guess if it was we'd be taking 3 BTBs on the Dream this summer instead of choosing to sail on the Magic.

I hope not. I have only stayed in 4A and 5A cabins so far, so I'm paying more than others but I also get something for that money (more space, a better location, a balcony, etc.) Same with the concierge levels, it costs more but you get something for that extra money. I'm fine with it the way it is (even though the upcoming 10 night won't bump us up to gold), but I do think taking length into account somehow could make sense (as in x number of cruises OR x number of nights would take you to a certain level). As I said, though, it's not a dealbreaker for my family. I guess if it was we'd be taking 3 BTBs on the Dream this summer instead of choosing to sail on the Magic.
Princess has it - you get the higher levels based on number of cruises OR number of nights cruised (whichever gets you to that next level sooner).

Well, the level, yes. Same way it is at hotels and airlines.

If someone purely takes 2 people on 3 day cruises, they get the same level as someone booking 5 people in a Suite. One gets to Platinum at $20,000 the other at $150,000. Shouldnt the person that paid more to the company get a higher loyalty reward?

Well, the level, yes. Same way it is as hotels and airlines.

If someone purely takes 2 people on 3 day cruises, they get the same level as someone booking 5 people in a Suite. One gets to Platinum at $20,000 the other at $150,000. Shouldnt the person that paid more to the company get a higher loyalty reward?
Since the loyalty levels are individually awarded, it shouldn't be part of the rationalization that "I paid for 5 people, so we all should be awarded a higher level."

While I realize it's only my thoughts, I think "loyalty" should be determined by how long you've cruised with any given cruise line (number of nights cruised, not number of cruises). Because number of cruises makes things really unequal - one 4 night cruise being equal to a 15 night cruise.

Just tracking number of nights cruised, equals the playing field more, IMO.

If I pay $20 dollars for a meal at one restaurant, and $50 for the same meal at another restaurant, who am I "loyal" to? For me, I'd be loyal to the restaurant that only charges me $20, as I will choose to return there again. The $50 meal? I'd probably only do that once.

Last edited:
Well, the level, yes. Same way it is at hotels and airlines.

No. This isn't the way it's done in the cruise industry. Do you want to deny our military from becoming platinum because they get a discount? What about cast members?

I think the way the cruise industry does their loyalty programs is fine(DCL excluded because they really don't have one). I would think their goal is loyalty. Why should it would make a difference if it's the family that can only afford 4 day cruises in an inside stateroom or the family like your's that can afford concierge everytime to all destinations. Each type of family has choices and I would think a cruiseline would appreciate them equally. Filling hundreds of inside rooms is just as important as filling the half dozen suites.

I believe that early on DCL used to determine club level by number of cruise days but than switched to the current plan.

This is not how it was. Early on you either were a Castaway Club member or you were not. Everyone who had sailed at least one time had the same designation - Castaway Club member. When they put in the levels, it was this same system - always based on # of cruises (1/5/10). I remember for about 6-9 months before they introduced the levels, when you checked in, they commented on how many cruises or nights you had previously sailed with them. We thought that was interesting as they never had referenced that info before. Then when they introduced the Platinum/Gold/Silver levels, it made sense. There was discussion at the time that they had weighed out using # of cruises vs # of nights and decided on # of cruises. With the info they "suddenly" had on hand when you checked in, that story made sense.

It was also discussed that when they made the levels, they based it on %, having only a small % of cruisers in the Platinum level. And the benefits they had then seemed to reflect that too. But as more and more people moved up the levels, the Gold and Platinum levels have become less and less valuable. I love people discussing how DCL should revise the system so they can become Platinum sooner. If DCL revises the system, I'm confident 10 cruises/70 nights will not put you at the highest level and some of the benefits now given to Platinum will move to this higher level.

If they are just trying to fill up the ships, why restrict the discounts to just Florida residents. If I live in Virginia and am willing to pay the last minute travel expenses, why shouldn't I be able to book for the same discount as someone who like in Fl?
or New York residents when sailing out of NYC ???, but residents from Canada do?

I agree and this is one of the things that pushed us to try other cruise lines. DCL has a price structure that favors sectors of the population in order to keep prices high on the rest of the population. They offer incredibly steep discounts to travel agents and people in the travel community (airline industry, etc), steep discounts to cast members, decent discounts to people in the military, and decent discounts to certain arbitrary geographical regions (Canadians over NYorkers out of NY makes no sense). So many people are discounted on DCL that people who pay regular pricing are in the minority on the ships. If you talk to people on Disney cruises, you quickly figure this out. The people who do pay regular pricing are subsidizing the discounts. I got tired of subsidizing Florida residents and travel agents (even though I love Florida residents and travel agents!). I do not mind subsidizing people in the military-- but that's it. For the CM subsidy, I am on the fence. Other cruise lines do similar discounts for groups, but they also open up discounts to the general public. CCL and others really are trying to fill their ships and are more open with last minute discounts. Plus, the difference between what a travel agent pays on Carnival or Royal and a regular customer pays is not as stark.
I know I will get people responding that Disney can charge what they want.... I know. But I have also figured out that unlike the parks, with cruising, there are other options out there. And I have found them to be of similar quality or even (gasp) better. There is a Seinfeld episode where he returns a jacket for spite. Sometimes I feel like that with DCL's price structure. lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter