Anyone think status should be based on days cruised rather than cruises?

Yes, this has been discussed multiple times. People who take short cruises like it the way it is. People who go on longer cruises want it based on nights. Personally, I think the number of cruises makes the most sense because the program is to reward returning cruisers'. So the person who took ten 3 night cruises can be seen as a more loyal cruiser than the person who took five 7 night cruises, even though the person taking five 7 night cruises has more nights on cruises.

@mommy2allyandaveri, we agree with you. We've JUST hit Gold CC and have spent 46 nights aboard. However, I had a long chat with Guest Services about that and they said that it had been discussed internally ad nauseum as well and that it (most likely) would stay as it is. Oh well. We get to enjoy the memories of all that time on board!

e will have cruised 35 nights to get gold status but someone could take 5, two, three or four day cruises and be gold. Thoughts?

And you could have taken those shorter cruises to get to gold faster as well. :)

Imagine how good that would have felt?

People who take short cruises like it the way it is. People who go on longer cruises want it based on nights.

Yep.

Royal used to be based on cruises, then they changed to nights. I’m actually ahead of Disney with royal, in terms of status, because financially it has made sense to go on longer royal cruises. And bc we like royal better, that’s not painful. :)

I think it would make sense for them to take # of nights into account somehow. We are taking a 10 night cruise this summer and it's more expensive than taking 3 Dream cruises but only counts as one, but I also think that # of cruises should factor in as well. And we will still be silver after this one.

I don't know if this has been suggested --- since those who take shorter cruises may spend more per day than those who have longer cruises and solo cruiser tend to pay more, I think the most equitable method is to base the levels by total spent. I wouldn't have a clue what the cut off amounts for the levels would be, but perhaps along the lines of:

silver: average night stay of 7 nights of standard inside*
gold: average night stay of 7 nights of standard inside* X 5
platinum: average night stay of 7 nights of standard inside* X 10

*Standard inside - to be fair to those who only book this category

Once someone reaches that level, their next cruise will be the new level (as it is now).

I'm not sure if this has ever been discussed and hopefully I won't be flamed.

I really think silver, gold, platinum should be based on days cruised. We will have cruised 35 nights to get gold status but someone could take 5, two, three or four day cruises and be gold. Thoughts?
Someone who has booked & sailed several separate short cruises is showing more brand loyalty than someone who has sailed just a few longer cruises, so I think the current system is fair. Short cruises are also typically more expensive than long cruises per night.

Someone who has booked & sailed several separate short cruises is showing more brand loyalty than someone who has sailed just a few longer cruises, so I think the current system is fair. Short cruises are also typically more expensive than long cruises per night.
Not necessarily. We only do longer cruises and only on DCL at this point. We have just as much loyalty. We just prefer longer cruises.

I don’t know that number of nights is necessarily “fair” either when you consider that you can currently find 4,5,6,7 &13 night cruises on DCL’s website for roughly the same price.

Number of cruises taken is just easier.

Or they could make it an “or” situation. For example, 5 cruises “or” 21 nights gets you gold.
Guess that just seems too logical to satisfy both short and long cruisers

Yes, that's pretty much what I think they should do, not that it matters to DCL one little bit.

Hmm... I'm not so sure about that. Our 2 longer cruises are easily more than double or triple our shorter ones, but we only cruise during school breaks and I guess our longer ones aren't the typical DCL cruises.

That depends on the cruise. Have you priced out a 10 or 12 night European cruise lately? I could buy a nice new car for what some of those would cost a family of four.

This has been discussed many many times. I just don't get why it is so important. This is a loyalty program that really doesn't have many benefits as it is now. Of course if choosing between # of cruises and # of nights, people are going to think the fairest is the one that puts them ahead. But if they change the program and more people are gold and platinum, all I see is less benefit of being gold or platinum.

If it gets to the point of 50% of their cruisers are platinum, do you think they are going to continue to offer to let platinum check in at the concierge desk? Concierge guests, rightly, are going to be upset by having to wait when they are actually paying a premium for individualized customer service. I've been on cruises already where there are so many platinum guests, we weren't all boarding group 1, platinum spanned groups 1-4; more platinum less cruises where everyone can be #1. Or will DCL let that many people have a free meal at Palo? There would be no brunch reservations available for anyone else. If a person usually sails 3 or 4 day cruises, they aren't competing with me to get the low fares on the longer cruises on day 1. Why do I care that they are platinum and only sailed 10 3 day cruises. By that same token, I should be really mad that people can become the same level as me with only 70 days sailed! I have 347 nights sailed -- short cruises, long cruises and everything in between. The fact that I regularly spend my vacation time on a Disney cruise is what makes me loyal, the # of nights spent on board is what makes it home.

I'm platinum but it really doesn't matter to me. We only cruise the longer cruises. Have only done two short 5 day cruises and that was after becoming platinum. Heck, I have never even figured out how many days we've sailed and I have lost track of how many cruises. Just isn't important to me. It truly is just a label and the perks aren't that big.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter