Are discount fridge water filters safe?

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by Dakota731, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Dakota731

Dakota731 DIS Veteran

They are $13.99 compared to $40 from the manufacturer. I know some generic products are even made by the same company as a name brand, so I hate to throw money away for nothing. Of course appliances websites say never to buy discount filters, but then again they have a monetary stake in dismissing genetics. Anyone try the discount products?

2. MillauFr

MillauFr Buzz & Woody

I don't even use a filter. Do you really need one? I would buy the cheapest I could find.

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. tvguy

tvguy Question anything the facts don't support.

I have a Kenmore refrigerator made LG. The Sears website sells two filters. One a Kenmore for $49, and another brand for $25. I haven't installed the $25 one yet, but I sure hope if Sears is selling it, it is safe.

5. dina444444

dina444444 DIS Veteran

I’ve been using a generic ones I’ve gotten from Amazon in my Samsung fridge for the past year and they work just fine.

6. aliceindisneyland

aliceindisneyland DIS Veteran

I bought a generic filter on Amazon for Kenmore (really LG I believe) fridge. $15 compared to $50. No difference as far as I can tell. I just went with the one that had the reviews that seemed the least fake.

7. merdie

merdie Mouseketeer

I’ve bought generic filters from Amazon for several years for our Samsung fridge and we’re all still alive and well.

8. gmar1210

gmar1210 Registered

I bought a generic for my Samsung and threw it out a month later. Water was always cloudy and ice tasted funny. Replaced with OEM filter and everything is good now. I also heard that the generic ones do not last as long as the OEM filters.

9. havaneselover

havaneselover Dreaming about a Disney cruise

I buy the generic ones for my LG fridge for Amazon. No issues and have been buying them for years.