Are people still smoking on their verandahs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jillpie

Can you package some Main St. music and send it to
The last time we had a verandah, was in 2006, on the Magic. We were so excited to have one, but ended up sadly not being able to use it, because of smoking neighbors :(. I was just wondering, does anyone encounter folks still smoking out there? And if we discover it, what should we do about it?

In 9 cruises, we’ve never smelled smoke coming from surrounding balconies. It doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen, but it is not prevalent. One of the reasons is that it is prohibited, the rule being clearly indicated on each balcony, with the associated fine. If you catch a guest smoking, contact guest services immediately. They will act upon the tip, contact the other stateroom and possibly impose the fine.

We have only smelled it a few times, not too bad for 17 cruises.
We have never had a neighbor like others have talked about that ruined their balcony time, thankfully

In 9 cruises, we’ve never smelled smoke coming from surrounding balconies. It doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen, but it is not prevalent. One of the reasons is that it is prohibited, the rule being clearly indicated on each balcony, with the associated fine. If you catch a guest smoking, contact guest services immediately. They will act upon the tip, contact the other stateroom and possibly impose the fine.

Okay, thanks!

A couple of years ago, we did have a neighbor that smoked on his verandah. We smelled it the first couple of times we went out on our verandah but wasn't sure exactly which cabin it was coming from. On the second afternoon, we were sitting out there and he came out and lit up. We could see him as he was leaning over the rail. We very nicely asked if he knew smoking wasn't allowed on verandahs. He screamed and cursed at us (it was a two week trip - heard him screaming and cursing at his wife and children non-stop throughout the trip - pleasant man!) I figured I tried to be nice so I called Guest Services. Heard his phone ring almost immediately - yep screaming and cursing and after he hung up screaming at us through the wall. My stateroom host thanked me for calling the next day, said they were definitely charging him the $250 cleaning fee. I'm glad the neighbor knew it was us that reported him so he didn't hold it against the Stateroom host.

This was on Carnival, but we had someone two balconies down smoking. The wind blew it right into our balcony.

I called guest services, and someone from guest services immediately came to our room to verify which balcony it was coming from (she saw the person smoking on it). She called security, and security came banging on their door (we heard the banging).

Guest services called us back to follow up. She said they claimed they weren't smoking. She asked us to call back if they smoked on the balcony again. We are on the balcony quite a bit, but didn't see them smoking again. I think the warning of the fine was enough.

When we used to get verandah rooms, I'd say half of the time there was a smoker within 3 rooms of ours. Pretty much eliminates the usefulness of the balcony. I suppose we could have called a complaint but I'm not really a 'tell on people' person. So we just don't book them anymore.

Unfortunately we have experienced this on 3 of 3 cruises and wonder why we keep booking verandahs. It was only at night and we could never figure out which deck or area as we would just see the ash slowly go down into the ocean (one cruise it was a deck above and 2 cabins forward so we did report this). Then we would see the cig butt be flicked into the ocean. Its unfortunate and we are really really hoping 4th is a charm and we dont have to smell it. I'm a former smoker but dang, I see it more as a fire hazard than anything and why people dont just smoke in the designated areas for all of our safety.

I've never seen anyone smoking on their balcony in the three Disney cruises I've done. Our first room was dead center in the ship so I could see almost all the balconies on our side and didn't see anyone smoking. If you see someone definitely report them it isn't allowed and they'll be fined. You shouldn't feel like you can't use your balcony.

I've never seen anyone smoking on their balcony in the three Disney cruises I've done. Our first room was dead center in the ship so I could see almost all the balconies on our side and didn't see anyone smoking. If you see someone definitely report them it isn't allowed and they'll be fined. You shouldn't feel like you can't use your balcony.

This.

Plus it is not your run-of-the-mill tattling. It presents a very real safety concern in that a stray spark (or more horribly a carelessly tossed over cigarette blows back onto someone’s balcony) and you’ve got the potential for a fire.

Since the ban on smoking on verandahs began some years ago, I've only smelled smoke a few times. No way to tell where it is coming from unless someone is standing right at the railing which seems unlikely to me since the smokers probably know it is not allowed.

At any rate, my solution has been to say "Someone is smoking. Please call Guest Services." This has worked in every instance so far. If it didn't, I would definitely call GS.

Twice we have had that problem, and I think once they caught the culprit, because it did stop. I have always called GS. I think they sent us chocolate covered strawberries because of our inconvenience.

It has been two years since we noticed smoke, and have probably cruised with DCL 6 times in that period.

We haven't experienced anyone smoking since they banned smoking on the verandah. We definitely had it before the ban and it did make it hard to use the balcony. We would try to go out when they weren't there so it wasn't a total loss of our ability to spend it outside but we were glad when they totally banned it. If I smelled it now, I would simply call GS even if I didn't know exactly which cabin. It's not like you can't smell it in the cabin because it wafts inside when they open the balcony doors or even on the person. They'd only need to know the general vicinity and I'm sure they could easily figure out who it is.

13 cruises so far and luckily have never experience it. But every Disney hotel with a balcony it has happened. Even on land, people are not allowed to smoke on the hotel balconies. We complain each time.

Last time the people never stopped smoking and they banged on the wall cursing us out because they knew it was us who complained. Disney moves us to another room.

1 out of 8. And much like pp, guy was a real piece of work. We did call GS and notify them, but I don't think anything was done as it kept on going for the remainder of the cruise.

And just as an addendum, smoking is not allowed on the beach at Castaway Cay. There were 2 guys who plopped down in 2 chairs one umbrella away from me on Serenity Bay on Tuesday (I had already moved once because a group of 4 guys plopped right next to me and were LOUD). I was in the second row of loungers and they were in the 2 chairs in front of the first row. One of them lit up almost immediately - but you could tell he knew the rules because he looked around first to make sure no bev servers were near, and as soon as he saw one getting close he would put the cancer stick out.

So obnoxious.

Unless the word gets out to the general cruise population that DCL is cracking down on this, you’re always going to have people who are going to try to get away with this.

I had this happen twice, and had no reservations whatsoever about calling GS because I could not enjoy the verandah I paid for.

As for the pieces of trash who cursed out previous posters and banged on their walls, well....money clearly cannot buy class.

Thanks for your responses. I wonder if it makes more sense to call housekeeping right away, instead of GS. That way they can come right into your room and witness what you're seeing (especially if its a neighbor next door, thats what happened to us) and they can handle it right there on the spot. Guest services, by the time they send someone down, the cigarette will most likely be out?

A couple of years ago, we did have a neighbor that smoked on his verandah. We smelled it the first couple of times we went out on our verandah but wasn't sure exactly which cabin it was coming from. On the second afternoon, we were sitting out there and he came out and lit up. We could see him as he was leaning over the rail. We very nicely asked if he knew smoking wasn't allowed on verandahs. He screamed and cursed at us (it was a two week trip - heard him screaming and cursing at his wife and children non-stop throughout the trip - pleasant man!) I figured I tried to be nice so I called Guest Services. Heard his phone ring almost immediately - yep screaming and cursing and after he hung up screaming at us through the wall. My stateroom host thanked me for calling the next day, said they were definitely charging him the $250 cleaning fee. I'm glad the neighbor knew it was us that reported him so he didn't hold it against the Stateroom host.

Did the guy smoke out there again? If he did I hope you reported him each time and he was fined every time!!

I don't smoke and have never had an issue with others smoking in the balconies.....since I do not smoke, I am not aware, but are there smoking areas on the ship? Just curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter