Are they getting overly strict on DAS

While some abusers may consider the wait outside a line to be desirable, my guess is more abusers are scamming the system to get those 2 free preselected fast passes for their party. That's definitely an advantage and especially helpful if used along with Genie+ and ILL. Disney might need to consider eliminating the free fast passes with DAS.
Yes, I wonder if the demand would lessen if those pretrip rides were cut. I still would want to try to get it ahead of time. Just takes the pressure off of planning so much. If we don't get it for our next trip, we'd still probably go but perhaps just make it a resort trip. Our list of rides DH can handle is so small even with DAS, it wouldn't be worth it at all to go into parks without it. I won't go on rides without him.

Yes, we are aware of that; but with the uncertainly and the stories I'm hearing, it seems to be much more of a risk now; and we simply cannot do the parks without the DAS. It would be a shame to spend almost $5000 (family of 3 out of state); and not be able to use the Annual Passes.
If the person who requests DAS cannot access attractions without it, then isn't it pretty obvious that DAS will be given?

Also, not sure if this is still a possibility, but you could go for a short trip and then, before the last day of ticket use, apply that ticket to an annual pass. You'd have a day or two in the parks, a chance to apply for DAS at the parks, and even try a queue without DAS.

If the person who requests DAS cannot access attractions without it, then isn't it pretty obvious that DAS will be given?
I believe that poster (or a family member) has previously been challenged when requesting DAS, was denied, and tried again a second time. What each of us considers that we absolutely cannot do may not be as obvious to others; regardless, ultimately WDW holds the control over whether DAS is granted or not. I don't think DAS is ever "a given" because there is no guarantee the guest won't be challenged and/or denied again.

I believe that poster (or a family member) has previously been challenged when requesting DAS, was denied, and tried again a second time. What each of us considers that we absolutely cannot do may not be as obvious to others; regardless, ultimately WDW holds the control over whether DAS is granted or not. I don't think DAS is ever "a given" because there is no guarantee the guest won't be challenged and/or denied again.
Yes, you are correct. We were multiple year AP holders pre-diagnosis. The end of our last AP year was shortly after diagnosis, and we had a life-threatening issue on Splash Mountain - triggered by a very long wait in a direct sunlight DAS line. The Cast Member made a joke about the situation. It was beyond reprehensible.

When my DAS holder needed to call for her own DAS a few months later (still shortly after diagnosis - just turned 18), she was treated horribly and told she "didn't need a DAS" - despite the prior incident. Due to the recency of her situation, she may not have known exactly how to advocate for herself, but the CM could clearly see she had been granted the DAS twice before, and still gave her a hard time enough to leave her in tears. We called back together later, and it was granted immediately - different CM. This is clearly a Disney training/CM lack of quality issue, and I'm far too sensible with $ to risk spending almost $5000 for 3 AP's and not know if we will get a crappy CM or a good one. As out of state guests, I can't see buying airline tickets, and flying to Florida and then being declined. There simply has to be a better way. For the record, as Universal AP's, I can call 30 days before, provide our prior DAS/RAP number, and have the pass re-approved kindly in 2 minutes. Not sure why Disney can't figure this out - especially for those of us who are frequent visitors.

My daughter is already worrying about a trip she wants to take next year with a group of college friends. Until now, it's always just been the 3 of us on her DAS; she's worried that applying with a new group will cause a decline and she'll have to spend that trip alone in her room. Simply inexcusable.

Last edited:

Also, not sure if this is still a possibility, but you could go for a short trip and then, before the last day of ticket use, apply that ticket to an annual pass. You'd have a day or two in the parks, a chance to apply for DAS at the parks, and even try a queue without DAS.
Sadly no, it's not at all obvious. It's a gamble these days.

My concern is that (if the DAS wouldn't be granted over the phone) that we'd fly to Florida, and risk not having the pass, therefore not be able to visit the parks (which would be a huge risk and expense). My "wish" would be a process that was more predictable and logical.

Sadly no, it's not at all obvious. It's a gamble these days.

My concern is that (if the DAS wouldn't be granted over the phone) that we'd fly to Florida, and risk not having the pass, therefore not be able to visit the parks (which would be a huge risk and expense). My "wish" would be a process that was more predictable and logical.
sounds lie you want the DAS pass to last for a year, so you know you have it for your AP

I think it’d be nice that if they can see you’ve had it in the past, and nothing has changed, you should be granted the DAS pass again. That’s what would simplify it for most of us who’ve utilized the pass prior. After reading this thread, makes me nervous for having to request again despite having had it this past July.

sounds lie you want the DAS pass to last for a year, so you know you have it for your AP
Years ago Universal actually printed it right on your Annual Pass. We only had to get it once a year. It was nice as the line there is often very long.

That would certainly be wonderful. My kiddo's condition is lifelong and not likely to improve; certainly not enough to warrant her NOT needing the DAS. I realize that this may not be the case for every single person utilizing the DAS, but it certainly would make sense for us; and save time, energy, effort, and stress for everyone involved.

I think it’d be nice that if they can see you’ve had it in the past, and nothing has changed, you should be granted the DAS pass again. That’s what would simplify it for most of us who’ve utilized the pass prior. After reading this thread, makes me nervous for having to request again despite having had it this past July.
I think there's something to this. As I've shared on here, my husband's condition is progressive and incurable. Not in the "they don't have a cure YET" way in the "this is literally never going to have a cure" way.

If we continue to travel Disney, we are going to be explaining this forever, every single time. It's fine for now, because we haven't come close to being denied yet, but if it gets to that point, it will be incredibly frustrating for us to continue to combat.

I know doing the DAS chat is a huge pain but we always do it in case we get a CM that doesn't understand our issues. Our child's issues are life-long and we have used the DAS for several years. However, I don't want to risk showing up at the parks and getting into a tense situation that will create a melt-down or ruin the day so we always get it in advance. I've never had a problem but I'm sure the odds are not in my favor. We go 2-4 times per year and need to reapply every time since they expire quickly. Standing in a long line with a lot of people first thing in the morning is not a good idea for most of the DAS holders.

Personally, I wish they would allow 6 months. It could help with the CM workload.

I think it’d be nice that if they can see you’ve had it in the past, and nothing has changed, you should be granted the DAS pass again...
This has happened to me a few times when renewing my DAS at DLR. The plaid looks at my file, sees that DAS was granted previously and fairly recently, then just asks, "Has anything changed since your last renewal?" Quick and easy. Even with the new "stricter" procedure (e.g. more questions, more discussion), renewals have not been a problem.

We did apply this morning and was granted one. We signed in about 7:15 and got to CM about an hour later. Then took longer to pick rides due to me with rotten typing skills and brain. Put in wrong park for certain day. Got done about 20 mins ago. So about two hours from start to finish.

We have gotten one three times. Last time, the CM talked more. This time hardly 10 sentences back and forth. Wonder if it's due to us having one in Dec. Between first and second use was a longer trip gap of 7 months.

Yes, you are correct. We were multiple year AP holders pre-diagnosis. The end of our last AP year was shortly after diagnosis, and we had a life-threatening issue on Splash Mountain - triggered by a very long wait in a direct sunlight DAS line. The Cast Member made a joke about the situation. It was beyond reprehensible.

When my DAS holder needed to call for her own DAS a few months later (still shortly after diagnosis - just turned 18), she was treated horribly and told she "didn't need a DAS" - despite the prior incident. Due to the recency of her situation, she may not have known exactly how to advocate for herself, but the CM could clearly see she had been granted the DAS twice before, and still gave her a hard time enough to leave her in tears. We called back together later, and it was granted immediately - different CM. This is clearly a Disney training/CM lack of quality issue, and I'm far too sensible with $ to risk spending almost $5000 for 3 AP's and not know if we will get a crappy CM or a good one. As out of state guests, I can't see buying airline tickets, and flying to Florida and then being declined. There simply has to be a better way. For the record, as Universal AP's, I can call 30 days before, provide our prior DAS/RAP number, and have the pass re-approved kindly in 2 minutes. Not sure why Disney can't figure this out - especially for those of us who are frequent visitors.

My daughter is already worrying about a trip she wants to take next year with a group of college friends. Until now, it's always just been the 3 of us on her DAS; she's worried that applying with a new group will cause a decline and she'll have to spend that trip alone in her room. Simply inexcusable.
If you remember who you spoke to the first time, please report them. It is clear that there are a few(or the same person) who is being rude for no reason with people. You are not the first person that I have heard say that the cast member that they spoke to was cruel to them. I am sorry your daughter had to go through that.

I have an AP so that might make a difference. But when I have gone over the last few years, I go to one of the blue umbrellas and say that I need to renew the DAS. They can see that I have had one and all they ever ask me is if anything has changed. I go again this fall and will see if the policy has changed of if it still up to the individual cast member.

If you remember who you spoke to the first time, please report them. It is clear that there are a few(or the same person) who is being rude for no reason with people. You are not the first person that I have heard say that the cast member that they spoke to was cruel to them. I am sorry your daughter had to go through that.
She didn't remember; I remember asking the same thing after it happened, because this mama bear was pretty upset :(

I did write a very well thought letter to Disney management and sent it to every email I could find. I did receive a reply from a very nice lady (via phone call). I affirmed to her that I was NOT looking for anything free, but that Disney has a HUGE issue with Cast Member training around the DAS issue. I guess time will tell if they are moving in the right direction - although the recent news is NOT encouraging. We have 4 days of park tickets to use in June and August, so I'm interested to see how DAS works for these trips. We DO have Uni Annual passes to use if the Disney DAS is a problem (so that we don't waste our airfare), but if they hassle my kiddo again, we will be asking for a refund for our ticket costs. It's so sad, my DAS kiddo is a true Disney lover, and this is so unnecessary.

I know doing the DAS chat is a huge pain but we always do it in case we get a CM that doesn't understand our issues. Our child's issues are life-long and we have used the DAS for several years. However, I don't want to risk showing up at the parks and getting into a tense situation that will create a melt-down or ruin the day so we always get it in advance. I've never had a problem but I'm sure the odds are not in my favor. We go 2-4 times per year and need to reapply every time since they expire quickly. Standing in a long line with a lot of people first thing in the morning is not a good idea for most of the DAS holders.

Personally, I wish they would allow 6 months. It could help with the CM workload.
Exactly this - my DAS kiddo said last time - " I used to love looking forward to our Disney trips. Now I just feel sick to my stomach wondering if I'll ruin it for everyone." That's one of the reason we had stepped away from Disney. On top of everything else she has to deal with - managing her condition - that's the last burden she should have to carry. And I agree that the short window for ongoing use is pointless - make it for six months, or the length of the Annual Pass - and avoid all the hassle.

This has happened to me a few times when renewing my DAS at DLR. The plaid looks at my file, sees that DAS was granted previously and fairly recently, then just asks, "Has anything changed since your last renewal?" Quick and easy. Even with the new "stricter" procedure (e.g. more questions, more discussion), renewals have not been a problem.
That sounds amazing. Here's hoping...

I have an AP so that might make a difference. But when I have gone over the last few years, I go to one of the blue umbrellas and say that I need to renew the DAS. They can see that I have had one and all they ever ask me is if anything has changed. I go again this fall and will see if the policy has changed of if it still up to the individual cast member.
We had Annual Passes for (I think) three years. The DAS diagnosis was part way through that time; and the first two times, we applied together (she was under 18) and were granted right away. It was the third time (after she'd just turned 18 and was out of state in college) that she had such a terrible experience. We had literally been there 90 days earlier, had utilized DAS twice before, and the Cast Member told her there was no way she qualified.

We had one other glitchy request, but the other 3 or 4 have been decent. It's just so unnecessary, How many of the DAS users have a condition that goes away? At least within a year?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter