Are they getting overly strict on DAS

She didn't remember; I remember asking the same thing after it happened, because this mama bear was pretty upset :(

I did write a very well thought letter to Disney management and sent it to every email I could find. I did receive a reply from a very nice lady (via phone call). I affirmed to her that I was NOT looking for anything free, but that Disney has a HUGE issue with Cast Member training around the DAS issue. I guess time will tell if they are moving in the right direction - although the recent news is NOT encouraging. We have 4 days of park tickets to use in June and August, so I'm interested to see how DAS works for these trips. We DO have Uni Annual passes to use if the Disney DAS is a problem (so that we don't waste our airfare), but if they hassle my kiddo again, we will be asking for a refund for our ticket costs. It's so sad, my DAS kiddo is a true Disney lover, and this is so unnecessary.
From what I have seen, and honestly predicted it when they announce this, that those on the chat are getting turned down at a higher rate than in the park. I imagine that was their whole thinking, that it is much easier to say "no" to someone when you can just hang up on them and are not face to face. I don't even bother doing the chat. It is so much easier and less stress to just go up to a blue umbrella and talk to them. The 2 preselects are definitely not worth the hassle and stress. The obviously use those preselects as an incentive and it seems to be working for some reason.

Renewed my WDW DAS this morning, just over an hour in total and a very pleasant experience
Thanks for sharing some good news! I'll be calling on May 7th with the kiddo.

And I just got off the phone with Uni for our May trip. Two questions, less than 3 minutes, and "re-approved". Hoping for easy times for everyone!

I agree the 2 month window seems way too short. I'd wager that 90+% of people requiring DAS have conditions that don't change significantly in 2 months. Your 6 month suggestion seems reasonable and would be such a nice change. Wishful thinking....
If memory serves me correct it used to be just the APs got 60 Days as the assumption was they would be back in that frame. And everyone else pretty much got it for a 14 day window with their trip. So the 60 days is actually much longer than it used to be for most.

I liked when the "pass" was imbedded in to our Universal AP so we only needed to go once per year. My guess is making you go back repeatedly is to cut down on fraud.

This has happened to me a few times when renewing my DAS at DLR. The plaid looks at my file, sees that DAS was granted previously and fairly recently, then just asks, "Has anything changed since your last renewal?" Quick and easy. Even with the new "stricter" procedure (e.g. more questions, more discussion), renewals have not been a problem.
This has been my usual experience at WDW as well. Most of the CMs will see that I've been using the DAS for several years now, am an Annual Passholder, and that I renew DAS every 60 days. Most will verify that I am aware of how DAS works and only ask if anything regarding my situation has changed. Occasionally I do still get the questions regarding why waiting in the stand-by queue is an issue for me, and how does DAS help with that. But I am happy to share that I recently renewed my DAS for another 60 days (at one of the 'blue umbrella' locations inside of a park) and the CM was pleasant, non-confrontational, and completed the DAS renewal in less than 5 minutes.

Thanks for sharing some good news! I'll be calling on May 7th with the kiddo.

And I just got off the phone with Uni for our May trip. Two questions, less than 3 minutes, and "re-approved". Hoping for easy times for everyone!
So incredibly relieved! The kiddo called this morning around 8am, was live with a Cast Member in about 10 minutes; and the whole thing was finished with an approval/renewal in less than 20 minutes! We couldn't believe it; especially after the struggles we've had in the past. The fellow was very pleasant. She did tell them about the "Splash Mountain Debacle" - not sure how that came up, but wanted to share a positive experience. Best wishes for everyone!

So incredibly relieved! The kiddo called this morning around 8am, was live with a Cast Member in about 10 minutes; and the whole thing was finished with an approval/renewal in less than 20 minutes! We couldn't believe it; especially after the struggles we've had in the past. The fellow was very pleasant. She did tell them about the "Splash Mountain Debacle" - not sure how that came up, but wanted to share a positive experience. Best wishes for everyone!

We had a similar experience yesterday around 11am. Only about a 20 minute queue up in the chat and a few questions and a picture later, we were set to go. Oddly, we originally started using DAS because of our own Splah Mtn debacle! That line is the pits.

Sadly no, it's not at all obvious. It's a gamble these days.

My concern is that (if the DAS wouldn't be granted over the phone) that we'd fly to Florida, and risk not having the pass, therefore not be able to visit the parks (which would be a huge risk and expense). My "wish" would be a process that was more predictable and logical.
The thing is that walking up yo someone at CS to describe exactly what happens to my body is just plain humiliating. It’s only slightly easier online.

I’ve wished for years there was *some* way to make it more private and less abrupt.

We're taking our grandchildren on their first WDW trip. The 9yo is on the spectrum. He's low support, but keeping his line waiting time to a minimum will make everyone's trip more pleasant, especially if we can reduce meltdown triggers. My concern is that many of his spectrum issues are likely to make it difficult for him to convey why waiting in line will be difficult. Quite frankly, I'm concern that the process of calling for the appointment and then waiting CM for a non-specified amount of time -- or worse given a time and then being late -- will either cause a total shutdown or meltdown. It sounds like CM training is spotty, but they generally do understand issues kids on the spectrum may have, right? If grandson is inarticulate, will allow his dad to speak on his behalf?

they generally do understand issues kids on the spectrum may have, right? If grandson is inarticulate, will allow his dad to speak on his behalf?
Understanding "the spectrum" shouldn't be a concern because diagnosis shouldn't come into the discussion. DAS is not diagnosis based; some folks with that diagnosis need DAS while others do not. The child's father (or mother) can certainly make the request on his behalf, but the boy will need to be present. They should plan to mention what about waiting in a standard queue environment is a challenge, not the diagnosis.

Understanding "the spectrum" shouldn't be a concern because diagnosis shouldn't come into the discussion. DAS is not diagnosis based; some folks with that diagnosis need DAS while others do not. The child's father (or mother) can certainly make the request on his behalf, but the boy will need to be present. They should plan to mention what about waiting in a standard queue environment is a challenge, not the diagnosis.
Yes, I understand the DAS is needs based on not diagnosis based. My concern is that grandson may not be "present" enough to answer a stranger's questions or too focused on discussing a special interest and not keeping on topic. If someone is not familiar with spectrum issues (especially since we aren't supposed to state the diagnosis) and grandson is sole person allowed to advocate, then I don't see how they could make any decisions or worse totally misunderstand the situation and think we put an uninterested kid on a call so we can cut a few lines. (Yes I know that's not what the program is about. I'm just trying to explain what it might look like to an outsider) However, since you stated his dad can explain why a standard queuing environment is challenging (with grandson physically present), then it sounds like we don't need to worry about grandson's ability to articulate his own needs and challenges.

Yes, I understand the DAS is needs based on not diagnosis based. My concern is that grandson may not be "present" enough to answer a stranger's questions or too focused on discussing a special interest and not keeping on topic. If someone is not familiar with spectrum issues (especially since we aren't supposed to state the diagnosis) and grandson is sole person allowed to advocate, then I don't see how they could make any decisions or worse totally misunderstand the situation and think we put an uninterested kid on a call so we can cut a few lines. (Yes I know that's not what the program is about. I'm just trying to explain what it might look like to an outsider) However, since you stated his dad can explain why a standard queuing environment is challenging (with grandson physically present), then it sounds like we don't need to worry about grandson's ability to articulate his own needs and challenges.
all your grandson has to do is have his picture taken. dad or mom can do all the talking.

Children do not need to advocate for themselves, though they are welcome to do so if able to participate in the request. I don't know that anyone expects a 9-yr-old to do so. Teens may be more likely to try. It's fantastic that your family is already helping him to learn that skill, though!

I went to DW and DL with my Granddaughter. Both times once in person and once online, myself (in person at guesr services at DW ) , My daughter ( online for DL), we talked to the CM to explain the issues with long waits in lines. My granddaughter was only called up to counter or computer when it was approved and they took her picture.
She was 8 and 9 years old at that time.
Even adults can have someone help with interaction.

Just don't talk about diagnosis, the first time I did this I had a letter from her therapist, but that was unnecessary. They can't look at that. Just be ready to say, long waits are too difficult because of A or B

A minor is not required to advocate for themselves. The parent(s) will be asked a question similar to, ‘What are your concerns with waiting in line?’ So, the parent(s) should think about how to briefly answer that question. The CM may have some additional questions for added information or clarification.

He will need to present to be introduced and to have his picture taken if approved. He won’t need to talk at all unless he wants to

I was able to get a DAS pass for DLR last week for our visit in June. I had to wait over 2 hours on the chat (with several refreshes and a technical issue on their end), but after the cast member came on he was great. I didn't have a problem getting the pass, and he took the time to talk to me about differences between DLR and DWR, which I was more familiar with. I did tell him my diagnosis as well as why I couldn't stand in line for long. (I know I wasn't required to tell him my diagnosis, but I didn't mind sharing it and that made it easier to explain.)

I have heard that they are cracking down more on folks who can use wheelchairs as the lines allow for wheelchair waiting.

If you feel this may be an issue in the future, I would just have a doctor's note available.

A minor is not required to advocate for themselves. The parent(s) will be asked a question similar to, ‘What are your concerns with waiting in line?’ So, the parent(s) should think about how to briefly answer that question. The CM may have some additional questions for added information or clarification.

He will need to present to be introduced and to have his picture taken if approved. He won’t need to talk at all unless he wants to
I answered, "For the comfort of the rest of your guests, it would probably be a good idea to give our little guy a DAS pass." :yay: HAHAHAHA!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter