Are you going to DLR this summer or skipping it due to SWGE crowds? I can't decide!

It was, um... memorable, that's for sure, and probably the only time I've been truly scared at DLR. People spitting at CMs, yelling profanities, ready to riot by the look and feel of it. And we never felt or heard any of it until we left the gates. Really hoping TDA has their act together on SWGE opening because I never want to go through anything like that again.

Curious, why was everyone so angry? Because they came and couldn’t get in the park?

Curious, why was everyone so angry? Because they came and couldn’t get in the park?
Basically, yes -- and they were roped off in the esplanade for hours at night. TDA really blew it huge for that party. The daytime hours were fine; it was at night when things took a major wrong turn. It was on the news ("Riots at Disneyland!!") -- my poor parents were sort of freaking out because they knew we were there and, of course, the news was showing all the worst footage.

As I have been posting, Disney will be smart if they do something like...
  1. Make sure everyone can get through the gates prior to normal park hours and held at a rope at say the hub, like they often do nowadays anyways. This will minimize buildup of hard-to-manage queues outside DL in the Esplanade.
  2. Maybe dedicate certain entrance turnstiles to SWGE (on the left facing DL) so folks queueing outside DL all day can back up into DTD in well identified queues.
  3. Have a SWGE queue starting on Main Street or somewhere to the left of the hub where folks can queue first thing in the morning. Similar to what they have done for RSR and more recently GOTG. For SWGE this will be demarcated with ropes and a gazillion specially trained CMs to give directions, maintain queue integrity and hold signs high above their heads with directions.
  4. SWGE will have one way only entrances and exits enforced by nice but firm CMs.
  5. Folks will have to queue to enter SWGE somewhere along Big Thunder Trail or possibly behind Hungry Bear where one of the three SWGE entrances will be located. Same thing as Main Street - queues with ropes, specially trained CMs to manage traffic, and lots of signs.
  6. Have lots of specially trained managers to help resolve issues.
:wizard:

Last edited:
So I wasn't there, but I know a number of people who tried to go (some successfully, some not). Unlike other times the park has closed, they weren't ever re-opening and letting people in, no matter how many people left. The Disneyland Twitter account was also sending out incorrect info, like saying the park was no longer at capacity, or saying you could get into DCA, but in fact, you couldn't even enter the Esplanade. Additionally, there were live streams of the parks showing that many areas were EMPTY - like, the camera of the area around "Pirates" looked like the park was closed (this I saw for myself), but apparently because Main Street itself was so swamped with people, the fire marshal still didn't want new entries, but you had thousands of people outside the Esplanade being given incorrect info and looking at live streams of a deserted park...

It was basically an epic communication debacle as much as anything, IMO.

So I wasn't there, but I know a number of people who tried to go (some successfully, some not). Unlike other times the park has closed, they weren't ever re-opening and letting people in, no matter how many people left. The Disneyland Twitter account was also sending out incorrect info, like saying the park was no longer at capacity, or saying you could get into DCA, but in fact, you couldn't even enter the Esplanade. Additionally, there were live streams of the parks showing that many areas were EMPTY - like, the camera of the area around "Pirates" looked like the park was closed (this I saw for myself), but apparently because Main Street itself was so swamped with people, the fire marshal still didn't want new entries, but you had thousands of people outside the Esplanade being given incorrect info and looking at live streams of a deserted park...

Gah! Sounds horrible!

I am itching to take my older son to Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge but I will need to see how it’s all handled as he certainly can’t wait in 6+ hour lines.

I'm booked for mid September and cannot wait. I haven't been for 4 years and I know it is going to be seriously busy, probably worse then Christmas, but, I'm mentally prepared for all the pushing, shoving and meltdowns going on around me. I'm hoping that it'll make the Disneyland Park and CA a little less busy, as if! I'm actually going straight from DL over to WDW in the same trip, I'm wondering what that'll be like, will people be holding back on their vacation waiting for the GE opening date.

Going June 9th through the 15th. I am hoping that SWGE opens, as many are saying, later in the month. I am hopeful that the park will have less than normal crowds with many waiting till the SW opening. Always willing to volunteer though if they need anyone to test a soft opening.:-)

Live local to Disneyland so will be there a bunch of times in the summer with my pass. We do have a mini vacation at the Villas at the Grand Californian for Disneyland's birthday in July, but will also have a lot of 1 day visits too.

I've wondered about this, too. Were you at any of the 24 hour parties at DLR? The difference between being inside the parks and being outside in the esplanade was like night and day. Inside the parks was crowded, but as long as management and CMs were in control and on top of things, it really wasn't that different from other very crowded, high energy times, e.g. NYE. For a newbie, it might have seemed overwhelming. But if you'd already survived NYE or Christmas Week at DLR, it wasn't too different. But outside the parks? It was ugly. We were shocked by the news footage because we never felt any of that inside the parks. Inside DL, I don't worry so much. Outside the parks, if there are gate closures, I really hope TDA learned some serious lessons on crowd control and crowd safety from those parties. And I agree that DCA will handle its crowds better with the wider walkways and more spread out ride areas.

I went to the 24 hour party for the 60th anniversary. I felt like the crowds were okay inside the park with the exception of people lining the parade route for the new entertainment and I think that's what we'll see with this, except people standing in lines for SWL instead. Unfortunately, the experience of those queuing for SWL will depend on how well the CMs have been trained and how much the higher ups are willing to help the entry level CMs manage everything. At the party, there was a lot of screaming, misinformation, and frustration, especially among people with disabilities who couldn't be accommodated because they ran out of space to accommodate wheelchairs. The lines for food were really long (about 45 minutes during non-peak times and I don't even know during peak), but most attractions were only an hour to 90 minute wait standby. Still long, but not much different than a busy day.

The biggest concern with the 24 hour party was outside. There were people lined up all the way back to DLH when I left around midnight. When I arrived in the morning at 3AM, there was already a line to enter the parks queued all the way around the eastern transportation hub and drop off area. The people who arrived early were fine, but those who arrived later in the day got violent.

So...based on that event and the Star Wars After Dark party that I joined last year, which was okay minus the disastrous queuing for merchandise (we're talking queues moved multiple times, lack of signage, lack of CMs actually making sure people didn't cut in line, and a mess in the merchandise area as that was not properly configured for queuing either), I guess it would be safe to say that inside the park, anything far away from SWL is probably okay...unless they decide to have a SW fireworks show or parade, too. Then the whole park will be a mess. If you go...just don't bother with SWL and don't leave the park once you get in unless you don't care if you can't return.

We're going in March (about 50 days from now, woohoo!) and then we won't be back til 2021, as my hubby wants to wait for the SW crowds to die down a little (hahahahaha) and by then at least the first phase of the new Marvel Land will also be open.

We are going August 7 and 8. I had planned my CA trip awhile ago to include DL as part of a longer West Coast trip. I planned the trip before I realized SWGE would be opening this summer! It's too late to change my plans since we are coming from the East Coast and I'm not sure when we'll be back. I'm pretty nervous about the crowds and secretly hope the opening is delayed until after our trip. We are Star Wars fans, but I could wait. Our hotel is booked across the street on Harbor Blvd. We plan to be at RD each day and not leave the park until the evening. I've already told my daughters that we'll skip the SW rides if we can't get on with MaxPass. Just crossing my fingers that we'll be able to enjoy the rest of DL/CA in spite of the crowds!

Will likely do the weekend of 6/7 or 6/14. My hubby is actually hoping SW will be open. I would also like to do a trip for his bday in late July. Our main trip is going to be late Sept into October. I have always found that expecting the worst and hoping for the best to be a good coping strategy. I figure there will be plenty of time to try see and do all that is new. We hope to be sick of DL by the end of this year. My secret goal is to have a strong argument for different activities in 2020. Maybe a Disney cruise :joker:

Avoiding as well. We are going in April this year and probably will not return until 2021. We might try WDW next year but we will see. I kind of want to wait and see how all the openings go plus I don't enjoy the parks as much when it is super crowded. We can wait ( not that I ever expect it to be like it used to be 5-10 years ago). Miss those days!

Avoiding this year. Actually I’d love to hit WDW instead but my daughter is getting married in September so I’m having to dip into the Disney fund to pay for that! Hoping for August of 2020 though.

We are arriving 6/17 for a many years anticipated first trip to Disneyland/DCA! We agonized over when to go, but with DS graduating HS and starting college in the Fall, our options are limited. DH and I are really, really hoping SWGE opens after we leave. DS really really hopes it opens while we're there!!! I guess the good news is that we were able to book Grand Californian using our DVC points, so we'll have a fabulous resort to return to if things are crazy!!! Seriously though...I hope it opens after we leave.

Last edited:
You better believe we are going! DW and I have only skipped Disneyland for 2 years of our 13 years marriage. Not gonna skip this year. We'll be going with friends of ours and both of us are leaving the kids behind on this one (ours are still too young to take to Disney). Armed with all the information afforded to us by these fine DISboards, I think we will be able to conquer the madness. We're light on our feet and a force to be reckoned with at rope drop. And I think half of my brain is used for my career and family, and the other half is used to masterplan insanely efficient Disneyland trips.

I got this. You got this. We all got this.

The issue was while there were "empty areas", Main St was overcrowded with people camping out for the preview of Paint the Night and the fireworks. So, while there was space in NOS or the back of Tomorrowland, getting to those areas were an issue. The Fire Marshall deemed Main St too crowded.

We were in DCA, and remained there til it was over.

I'm thinking they may handle opening day the same way they handled June 17, 2005.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter