Armchair Imagineering - Disney's Hollywood Studios

Kimosabe

DIS Veteran
There is a lot going on at Disney's Hollywood Studios right now. Several rides, attractions and giant hats are going away, which leaves a clean slate for a significant portion of the landscape there. Maybe somebody at Disney is watching these threads. If so, whether building on existing rumors or coming up with original ideas of your own, what specific types of rides, attractions, dining options, shows, etc., would you add to (or continue to pull from) DHS if you had the power to do so?

I still love the idea of a Monsters Inc door coaster.
While a great idea and I wish it would happen and it was once on the table ready to go through was cut and not going to happen. From what I've heard no monsters inc. presence will be there but toy story and cars are very likely.

While a great idea and I wish it would happen and it was once on the table ready to go through was cut and not going to happen. From what I've heard no monsters inc. presence will be there but toy story and cars are very likely.

I love Toy Story, but there so much great Pixar material available, I'd love to see Wall-E, the Incredibles, and MI have strong showings.

I love Toy Story, but there so much great Pixar material available, I'd love to see Wall-E, the Incredibles, and MI have strong showings.
I'd love for wall-e, the incredibles, up the lesser represented movies to get some love but it doesn't seem like it's going to happen.

The armchair imagineer in me wants an Incredibles ride a la Universal's Spiderman ride. Not an exact copy, but mostly I want a ride that combines motion, a ride track, practical effects and 3-D images.

I want the GMR to be redone into something that pulls you more into the movies than a wax museum. Basically something that would use similar motion to TSMM, you would be "swept" into different scenes from movies, so ride vehicles would move fast at times and other times would stop within a scene. Certain scenes could be done all in 360 projection, thus making them mpre changeable while other scenes (Wizard of Oz for instance) could remain totally in tact. Another example of the concept would be Mickey's Philharmagic, again where Donald gets swept between scenes quickly, but not just on a movie screne.

Star Wars addition of course. Would like to see a Star Wars stunt show, even though I love Indiana Jones. I don't have a good concept for a ride, but would need at least one "all ages" ride, how about a dark ride not unlike the mine train ride, that has some minor thrill ride elements, but also takes you through Animatronics. Perhaps a "Death Star Raid" ride that goes through the 2nd Act of Episode IV.

Too bad I know we won't get anything close to this.

"Pixar Place" ideas:

1. Monsters, Inc. door coaster – could include some “thrilling” parts but also some less-thrilling aspects riding through the factory (so as to make it more family-friendly if necessary). Everybody on planet Earth who saw this movie immediately wanted some version of this ride, and as noted above, it has actually been designed. Cannot understand why they seem so intent on not delivering, especially now that they seem committed to doing something for this park?

2. Incredibles - would love a stand-up coaster with ride vehicles based on Dash (running), Frozone (surfing on ice) and Syndrome (rocket shoes). Absent this, I’d gladly accept Skier Pete’s idea of a Spiderman type ride based on the Incredibles. I might even prefer it. In short, give me some Incredibles.

3. Ratatouille -- boat ride replicating the scenes early in the movie, from the old lady’s house to Paris; the ride exit would emerge within close proximity to Gusteau’s (formerly known as Mama Melrose's and in new Pixar area location...and now starring the animatronic Remy, fresh out of retirement from Chefs de France in Epcot). There is no water-based ride at DHS right now, so this would provide a fresh take on a traditional guest favorite ride. Could be anything thrill-wise from POTC to Splash Mountain to Kali or some combination of all.

4. Change the sign on the HISTK playground to A Bug’s Life. Done virtually overnight at a ridiculously low cost.

5. Pizza Planet – keep but move and improve/expand offerings (including breakfast pizza…seems to be a severe lack of breakfast offerings at DHS).

6. Mr. Potato’s Head (or some other name if that sounds too barbaric…Create-a-Potato…Mater’s Taters…whatever) – potato-based quick service dining, allowing more breakfast options (e.g., hash browns served multiple ways), along with other all-day options (fries, tots, baked potato bar, etc.)…I know it seems like a random concept, but I love Mr. Potato Head…and carbs!

7. Fenton’s Creamery – ice cream shop from Up. It’s a real place, so might be some issues there, but in any event, an ice cream shop with Pixar-inspired flavors would be a hit. Don’t care if Diagon Alley also has an ice cream shop.

8. Last but not least, a nice, big Pixar store. Who am I to deny Disney their merchandising dollars to help pay for all this?

Yes, I have spent way too much time thinking about this...

"Pixar Place" ideas: 1. Monsters, Inc. door coaster – could include some “thrilling” parts but also some less-thrilling aspects riding through the factory (so as to make it more family-friendly if necessary). Everybody on planet Earth who saw this movie immediately wanted some version of this ride, and as noted above, it has actually been designed. Cannot understand why they seem so intent on not delivering, especially now that they seem committed to doing something for this park? 2. Incredibles - would love a stand-up coaster with ride vehicles based on Dash (running), Frozone (surfing on ice) and Syndrome (rocket shoes). Absent this, I’d gladly accept Skier Pete’s idea of a Spiderman type ride based on the Incredibles. I might even prefer it. In short, give me some Incredibles. 3. Ratatouille -- boat ride replicating the scenes early in the movie, from the old lady’s house to Paris; the ride exit would emerge within close proximity to Gusteau’s (formerly known as Mama Melrose's and in new Pixar area location...and now starring the animatronic Remy, fresh out of retirement from Chefs de France in Epcot). There is no water-based ride at DHS right now, so this would provide a fresh take on a traditional guest favorite ride. Could be anything thrill-wise from POTC to Splash Mountain to Kali or some combination of all. 4. Change the sign on the HISTK playground to A Bug’s Life. Done virtually overnight at a ridiculously low cost. 5. Pizza Planet – keep but move and improve/expand offerings (including breakfast pizza…seems to be a severe lack of breakfast offerings at DHS). 6. Mr. Potato’s Head (or some other name if that sounds too barbaric…Create-a-Potato…Mater’s Taters…whatever) – potato-based quick service dining, allowing more breakfast options (e.g., hash browns served multiple ways), along with other all-day options (fries, tots, baked potato bar, etc.)…I know it seems like a random concept, but I love Mr. Potato Head…and carbs! 7. Fenton’s Creamery – ice cream shop from Up. It’s a real place, so might be some issues there, but in any event, an ice cream shop with Pixar-inspired flavors would be a hit. Don’t care if Diagon Alley also has an ice cream shop. 8. Last but not least, a nice, big Pixar store. Who am I to deny Disney their merchandising dollars to help pay for all this? Yes, I have spent way too much time thinking about this...
I think we all have spent a lot of time thinking about what potential DHS has they just haven't done anything with it unfortunately.

I definitely would like to see more Pixar themed attractions and an expansion of Star Wars. I haven't been in years (coming in February and very excited), and with the recent closings of some rides and attractions, i feel they need more rides families can go on together- not everyone can stomach TOT and RRC

At this point I'll take anything remotely resembling a dark ride attraction, but I won't hold my breath.

In keeping with the spirit of movies, I'd like to see the Great Movie Ride updated not with specific scenes of movies, but instead with a history of movie making itself. Something in a similar vein of the original rides in Future World. A scene showing directors and actors working on a silent film perhaps, or even a scene showing an animatronic figure resembling Ray Harryhausen painstakingly working on a stop motion film - maybe working on a few skeletons as a homage to The 7th Voyage of Sinbad. A scene with technicans working in front of a blue screen with a handful of TIE fighters wouldn't hurt either...

I want a Dueling Dragons type hanging coaster, with one side being x-wings and the other being tie fighters. Complete with music piped into the cars. I also wouldn't mind a Cheetah Hunt type coaster themed to pod racing, but I don't know if the pod race is iconic enough to build a ride 20 years after the fact. A Mos Eisley Cantina restaurant should be a given. I'd like some kind of dark ride, similar to Winnie the Pooh or Peter Pan, themed to the original trilogy, that takes you to Hoth, Dagobah, and Endor, that would be family friendly. Also like the idea of a dumbo type ride with Star Wars ships (a corellian corvette or star destroyer!). I'd be happy with three new Star Wars rides, 1 thrill, 1 family, 1 kiddie. All of this in an area themed to the level of HP at Universal, and HS would be my number 1 destination in Orlando again.

Two Pirates of the Carribean type rides; one themed to Star Wars and the other to Pixar.

Two Pirates of the Carribean type rides; one themed to Star Wars and the other to Pixar.
What kind of boat ride would work with Pixar good idea but I'm just trying to see the theme there. I think an omnimover dark ride would be great especially for something up or brave.

What kind of boat ride would work with Pixar good idea but I'm just trying to see the theme there. I think an omnimover dark ride would be great especially for something up or brave.

I could easily see an "Up"-themed ride that might resemble Peter Pan (omnimover-ish). Ride vehicle is the house suspended by balloons (or if they got really creative, maybe we could each ride our own leaf blower!). Could go along the ground at certain times (flashback to childhood, through the mass of dogs at Paradise Falls, through the woods in search of Kevin the "snipe", with Russell behind a bush calling out questions about when he should dig the hole, etc.) but then "fly" at times, too (going over the city on the way out of town, through a storm, over Paradise Falls, alongside the blimp with a peek inside, etc.).

Didn't include that in my Pixar list above, as I could envision this ride at DAK, although I would gladly accept it anywhere....if Disney would just recognize my genius sometime soon....ha!

As for boat ride, I'll still lobby for my Ratatouille option, although I readily acknowledge that if they did something with that movie, it would likely be a regurgitation of the Paris ride through the restaurant/kitchen (and potentially shoe-horned into France at Epcot).

I would love to see them capture some of the old Hollywood magic. Or at least boost that feel as you stroll down the main street. Then move through some of the iconic movies. I'm not sure what Disney owns, but little references like the statue from Splash are awesome. I'm thinking in the lines of (though they may not own) Back to the Future, American Graffetti, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Gone with the Wind, and It's a Wonderful Life.

Also separate the park into different movie "lands". Use genres to name and then capture the best of each. Already a start with Tower of Terror representing old time Hollywood, Star Wars for Action/Adventure, and Pixar Land for Animation. Then immerse us into a technique or movie. My favorite part about Disney is the escape from reality. The Great Movie Ride is the centerpiece that ties it all together.

I could easily see an "Up"-themed ride that might resemble Peter Pan (omnimover-ish). Ride vehicle is the house suspended by balloons (or if they got really creative, maybe we could each ride our own leaf blower!). Could go along the ground at certain times (flashback to childhood, through the mass of dogs at Paradise Falls, through the woods in search of Kevin the "snipe", with Russell behind a bush calling out questions about when he should dig the hole, etc.) but then "fly" at times, too (going over the city on the way out of town, through a storm, over Paradise Falls, alongside the blimp with a peek inside, etc.).

I had the same thought. The only is problem is that Peter Pan suffers from such low capacity. I would rather see some version of a Haunted Mansion-style omnimover ride that absorbs much more people.

We really liked Crush's Coaster at Disneyland Paris, so there is an idea. They also had a Green Army Man parachute drop and slinky dog spinning ride that my daughter enjoyed. So, there are already some ideas in place they could maybe use, not to mention the new Ratatouille ride that we didn't get to try.

I'd love to see a Star Wars Land on the scale of Cars Land. Ewok village playground instead of HISTK. Speeder bike or TIE/X-wing coaster. There is so much they could do with that. I think it is the kind of thing that will be popular generations from now, so it makes sense to make the investment, if you are going to do it (unlike, say, Avatarland, which I hope I'm wrong about, but still boggles my mind).

I want them to redo Imagination at EPCOT with Wall-E, so I'm saving that one, lol.

Wasn't so much thinking of a boat, but the way they have the different scenes established in Pirates of the Carribean and for that matter, Peter Pan. An omimover system could work, even something like Spaceship Earth.

"Pixar Place" ideas:

1. Monsters, Inc. door coaster – could include some “thrilling” parts but also some less-thrilling aspects riding through the factory (so as to make it more family-friendly if necessary). Everybody on planet Earth who saw this movie immediately wanted some version of this ride, and as noted above, it has actually been designed. Cannot understand why they seem so intent on not delivering, especially now that they seem committed to doing something for this park?

2. Incredibles - would love a stand-up coaster with ride vehicles based on Dash (running), Frozone (surfing on ice) and Syndrome (rocket shoes). Absent this, I’d gladly accept Skier Pete’s idea of a Spiderman type ride based on the Incredibles. I might even prefer it. In short, give me some Incredibles.

3. Ratatouille -- boat ride replicating the scenes early in the movie, from the old lady’s house to Paris; the ride exit would emerge within close proximity to Gusteau’s (formerly known as Mama Melrose's and in new Pixar area location...and now starring the animatronic Remy, fresh out of retirement from Chefs de France in Epcot). There is no water-based ride at DHS right now, so this would provide a fresh take on a traditional guest favorite ride. Could be anything thrill-wise from POTC to Splash Mountain to Kali or some combination of all.

4. Change the sign on the HISTK playground to A Bug’s Life. Done virtually overnight at a ridiculously low cost.

5. Pizza Planet – keep but move and improve/expand offerings (including breakfast pizza…seems to be a severe lack of breakfast offerings at DHS).

6. Mr. Potato’s Head (or some other name if that sounds too barbaric…Create-a-Potato…Mater’s Taters…whatever) – potato-based quick service dining, allowing more breakfast options (e.g., hash browns served multiple ways), along with other all-day options (fries, tots, baked potato bar, etc.)…I know it seems like a random concept, but I love Mr. Potato Head…and carbs!

7. Fenton’s Creamery – ice cream shop from Up. It’s a real place, so might be some issues there, but in any event, an ice cream shop with Pixar-inspired flavors would be a hit. Don’t care if Diagon Alley also has an ice cream shop.

8. Last but not least, a nice, big Pixar store. Who am I to deny Disney their merchandising dollars to help pay for all this?

Yes, I have spent way too much time thinking about this...

I would love to see them capture some of the old Hollywood magic. Or at least boost that feel as you stroll down the main street. Then move through some of the iconic movies. I'm not sure what Disney owns, but little references like the statue from Splash are awesome. I'm thinking in the lines of (though they may not own) Back to the Future, American Graffetti, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Gone with the Wind, and It's a Wonderful Life.

Also separate the park into different movie "lands". Use genres to name and then capture the best of each. Already a start with Tower of Terror representing old time Hollywood, Star Wars for Action/Adventure, and Pixar Land for Animation. Then immerse us into a technique or movie. My favorite part about Disney is the escape from reality. The Great Movie Ride is the centerpiece that ties it all together.

I want to visit this park. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter