Armchair Imagineering - Disney's Hollywood Studios

Hollywood Boulevard:

-place the Earful Tower on top of the Great Movie Ride building, making it visible in most of the park at least

-retheme the exteriors of Hollywood Boulevard. I haven't been to the parks in far too long myself to remember exactly how it looks, but going off of pictures I found online, it seems a bit too much of a mix match kind of thing. I say make it an idealized 1920-30's Hollywood

-I can't find info on where the entrance is, but if Hollywood & Vine enters from near Echo Lake, change the entrance to come off of Hollywood Boulevard. If it already is off of Hollywood Boulevard, no change needed.

Commissary Lane and a bit of Echo Lake would become Star Wars Land, themed to be set on Tatooine:

-change the footprint of Echo Lake, reshaping it to be not as close the old American Idol building and a little closer to the main plaza. Take out the dinosaur and boat/diner as well.

-the exterior of Star Tours gets re-shaped in line with the Tatooine theming

-expand the American Idol building for a KUKA arm attraction where you board an "X-Wing" and go into battle against the Empire (mostly using figures and effects rather than screens and projections)

-Backlot Express becomes a new location for the Jedi Training Academy plus a snack place (ice cream and such)

-washrooms moved to between the new training academy and Indiana Jones stunt show

-Drive in Theater and ABC Commissary become the Mos Eisley Cantina

-around where the washrooms were and between Star Tours and what used to be the Drive In Theater would be an X-Wing themed spinner ride like Dumbo

The rest of Echo Lake would become a jungle themed area revolving around Indiana Jones and a bit about old adventure serials it was based on The stunt show would remain as I understand it's too valuable to Disney to lose as they rent it out, however if it could be removed and I don't have to take that into account, it'd be replaced with Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Eye from Disneyland.

-50's Prime Time Cafe becomes an eatery themed to adventure serials that inspired Indiana Jones and stuff like it.

Part of Streets of America becomes Muppet Studios
-Pizza Planet and Mama Melrose's get merged into The Swedish Chef's Kitchen, which would have two areas, one for table service and the other for quick service

And then the backlot tour, stage one Jack Sparrow and LMA become an extension of Pixar Place with:
-third TSMM track
-Monsters Inc Door Coaster
-Up dark ride (omnimover but suspended from the ceiling)
-Woody's Roundup (Mater's-style, but differently themed)
-Incredibles Radiator Springs Racers-style
-Bugs Life re-theme of the HISTK playground
-Pizza Planet restaurant and arcade replacing the Catering Co.
-Brave dark ride

Very very roughly to help show what takes over what space (not the rides just lands):

6VWh7bu.jpg

Red for Pixar Place, yellow for Muppet Studios, brown for Star Wars Land and green for the Adventure Serials/Indiana Jones jungle area. Roughly, of course.

Its a small thing, but why not re-theme rockin roller coaster with guardians of the galaxy? You could use music from the Awesome Mix Tape from the soundtrack, make the limos look like spaceships, do a pre-ride film with Rockit and Groot who are both CGI (heck, you would only need voice over from Rockit since all groot says is I am Groot) and change out the painted flats in the ride. Universal doesn't own theme park rights to those characters, and there is already a sequel in the works. It would be an easy way to get a marvel property into the park.

Everyone has been mentioning Radiator Spring Racers for DHS. That's a great idea. My idea is within that idea. In homage to the old backlot tour, keep Catastrophe Canyon and integrate even a nonworking canyon into the high speed race section of the ride. If need be to accommodate dual tracks the right hand side (as you entered the canyon) could be removed.

I've seen a lot of talk regarding what may be coming to DHS based on rumors, closings and permits.

However, does anyone have any thoughts as to when they might officially start announcing the changes and timelines?

I've seen a lot of talk regarding what may be coming to DHS based on rumors, closings and permits.

However, does anyone have any thoughts as to when they might officially start announcing the changes and timelines?

Aye, there's the rub. Rumors are fun, but mean nothing until an announcement is made.

The only real firm thing we know is Iger announced earlier this year that there would be a "Star Wars in the parks" announcement in 2015 - which even that doesn't mean very much.

At a guess, they didn't want to announce it at the last quarter call because of the whole Disneyland Paris mess. "Oh, and by the way...we're ALSO spending $2 billion in Florida." wouldn't have flown very well. Thinking they are waiting for Wall Street to absorb that before they announce anything in DHS.

They'll have to make some kind of announcement before construction gets underway though. I would think if even a small portion of the rumors are right - you would here something Q2 or Q3. (Remember we are already in Q1 2015 for Disney.)

They could pull another "Bay Lake Tower" and start demolition/construction a year before admitting they are building something new.

Uh-huh, even though everyone knew EXACTLY what was being built there for months if not years.

You are right that they certainly could start construction without specifying what is happening, but it seems to me Disney is quite the publicity ***** when it comes to theme park construction. They could also easily have closed Maelstrom and NOT announced a Frozen ride until it was completely constructed. But they didn't.

In addition, once the construction plans are out to the workers - it WILL leak out what is being built. (Remember the FLE blueprints that leaked on-line? Also the Pandora blueprints?) What about the Skull Island /Kong thing at Universal that they haven't yet announced but somehow everyone knows about?

So, it really doesn't matter whether they announce it or not, once it's being built, we will all know. But most likely,they'll tell us, too.

In addition, once the construction plans are out to the workers - it WILL leak out what is being built. (Remember the FLE blueprints that leaked on-line? Also the Pandora blueprints?)

Which, btw, is my theory behind the Avatarland delay. I think the reason Avatarland was announced so far ahead of actual construction is because Disney was embarrassed about the FLE leak. They wanted to make the announcement before THOSE plans leaked. Unfortunately, they made the announcement long before there were any plans TO leak.

I think a simulator where you are able to fly in Mr. Fredricksen's house to Paradise Falls would be cool.

My dream would be:
1. Buy the rights to Wizard of Oz and use that; so many things they could do with it, and it would be so cool!
2. Make a section of the park devoted to villains; doesn't have to be overly scary, but again, so cool!

2. Make a section of the park devoted to villains; doesn't have to be overly scary, but again, so cool!

I know there has been lots of chatter by fans about wanting a 5th gate dedicated to villains, and just as much counter-chatter by folks saying that villains don't appeal to families or little kids and wouldn't be enough to hold a whole park together. Not sure where I stand on the whole park idea, but I would definitely be up for (or down with....however the cool kids are saying it these days?) a section of a park devoted to villains. My 12-year old daughter and I were listening to a podcast the other night in the car that was talking about DHS closings, rumors, etc., and she just simply cannot believe that Disney hasn't already done something to try to rein in the teenage crowd, whether villains, coasters, or something else that is willing to potentially exclude the younger crowd to the enjoyment of the older crowd. She was even talking about how Rock n' Roller Coaster wasn't a real coaster with huge drops, etc. Two years ago, she wouldn't consider riding anything much worse than Splash Mountain, and now she's already desperate for something more exciting than RnR or Everest. Don't misunderstand me, she is still a WDW freak and loves it all, but it just struck me that if a 12-year old girl is begging for villains and bigger coasters, what could Disney be missing out on with the crowd that would really eat that stuff up?

We (she and I) both understand the arguments that Disney hasn't traditionally looked for that type of park guest and, realistically, hasn't needed or, apparently, wanted to do so. There are also those that would say (perhaps truthfully...perhaps naïvely) that there is no way Universal could ever overtake any of the WDW parks, regardless of what it adds). Perhaps true, but they can't deny that there is a market out there for bigger thrills.

Sounds like DHS is going to lean toward Pixar and Star Wars for the upcoming onslaught of upgrades at DHS, but it would indeed by nice if they threw in a corner of the park devoted to villains, with a ridiculous coaster or two, a dark ride, regular meet-and-greets and maybe even a character meal. Heck, if necessary, those villains could even be from Pixar (Monsters, Inc., and the Incredibles could provide a great basis for coasters) or Star Wars (take your pick) if the need an easy tie-in.

Pipe dream, I know, but still fun to think about it and hope....and since this thread (started by a devilishly handsome armchair Imagineering evil genius) is about what we'd like to see at DHS and not what we think Disney will actually do, it's OK.

If you could add up to three villain rides or attractions to DHS, what would they be?

I know there has been lots of chatter by fans about wanting a 5th gate dedicated to villains, and just as much counter-chatter by folks saying that villains don't appeal to families or little kids and wouldn't be enough to hold a whole park together. Not sure where I stand on the whole park idea, but I would definitely be up for (or down with....however the cool kids are saying it these days?) a section of a park devoted to villains. My 12-year old daughter and I were listening to a podcast the other night in the car that was talking about DHS closings, rumors, etc., and she just simply cannot believe that Disney hasn't already done something to try to rein in the teenage crowd, whether villains, coasters, or something else that is willing to potentially exclude the younger crowd to the enjoyment of the older crowd. She was even talking about how Rock n' Roller Coaster wasn't a real coaster with huge drops, etc. Two years ago, she wouldn't consider riding anything much worse than Splash Mountain, and now she's already desperate for something more exciting than RnR or Everest. Don't misunderstand me, she is still a WDW freak and loves it all, but it just struck me that if a 12-year old girl is begging for villains and bigger coasters, what could Disney be missing out on with the crowd that would really eat that stuff up?

We (she and I) both understand the arguments that Disney hasn't traditionally looked for that type of park guest and, realistically, hasn't needed or, apparently, wanted to do so. There are also those that would say (perhaps truthfully...perhaps naïvely) that there is no way Universal could ever overtake any of the WDW parks, regardless of what it adds). Perhaps true, but they can't deny that there is a market out there for bigger thrills.

Sounds like DHS is going to lean toward Pixar and Star Wars for the upcoming onslaught of upgrades at DHS, but it would indeed by nice if they threw in a corner of the park devoted to villains, with a ridiculous coaster or two, a dark ride, regular meet-and-greets and maybe even a character meal. Heck, if necessary, those villains could even be from Pixar (Monsters, Inc., and the Incredibles could provide a great basis for coasters) or Star Wars (take your pick) if the need an easy tie-in.

Pipe dream, I know, but still fun to think about it and hope....and since this thread (started by a devilishly handsome armchair Imagineering evil genius) is about what we'd like to see at DHS and not what we think Disney will actually do, it's OK.

If you could add up to three villain rides or attractions to DHS, what would they be?

Ooooo, that's a good question! Hadn't thought that far ahead, but I do agree part of an existing park is a better idea than a fifth park. Let's see, I think Maleficent would be a good start, then Jafar (the whole Aladdin movie is sadly underrepresented, imo), Scar, and definitely some Star Wars bad guys. Yeah, I think those would all be good. And I agree with your daughter, some better thrill rides would be great. Sure, we could go to Universal, and we might someday, but why can't Disney get in on the action too?

It should be dedicated to their non-princess animation and movies. It could also stand to be bigger (although I always get lost anyway which never happens at the larger parks).

As for adding villains and them not appealing to families....I sat next to a girl at MNSSHP pre-parade who was 8-10 who was one of many girls dressed as Maleficient (a villain) who told me villains were better because they usually were the ones with special powers. Good point. So villains are not going to put off all families. And, IMHO, not everything has to be for little kids and families. Little kids have teen siblings who might like something not sugar coated, they have parents who might be up for a dose of bad and there are thousands of adult visitors who go without children who should have their interests seen to as well.

The growing popularity of the halloween party indicates people want darker things. There is now a HM store and their DB HM bags sell out fast.

Ooooo, that's a good question! Hadn't thought that far ahead, but I do agree part of an existing park is a better idea than a fifth park. Let's see, I think Maleficent would be a good start, then Jafar (the whole Aladdin movie is sadly underrepresented, imo), Scar, and definitely some Star Wars bad guys. Yeah, I think those would all be good. And I agree with your daughter, some better thrill rides would be great. Sure, we could go to Universal, and we might someday, but why can't Disney get in on the action too?

A Chernabog rollercoaster would be great as well, imo.

I just read a really interesting article about the direction that "theming" has been going in theme parks. Instead of grouping various attractions by "theme" (space stuff all together, etc.), newer successes like WWoHP and Carsland are "immersive", and make you feel like you're in a particular place, and not just a space dedicated to that idea.

For example, when Disney makes something from Star Wars, they're unlikely to put a Mos Eisley cantina right next to a Hoth gift shop and a Death Star attraction, because in the movies you're not in all of those places at the same time.

If this is truly the direction that theme parks are going, it makes me wonder whether a Villains land/park or a Pixar Place could really work. You'd really end up mish-mashing different places together.

Kimosabe, you rock! Disney needs to just put you in charge of a big Pixar expansion; I love your ideas. And yes, please, to the Up ride. :thumbsup2

A Mos Eisley Cantina is key ...with a very large bar area as I am sure a lot of people will just want to go there for a drink or two. They really need to think the drink menu as well..not just server the same drinks every other bar in Disney has.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter