Armchair Imagineering - Disney's Hollywood Studios

I would definitely be ok with a LOT of Star Wars stuff!! That would definitely draw big crowds, and be a lot more teen/adult friendly, but still ok for kids. As for an immersive experience, how about Alice in Wonderland? How freaky would that be? :cool1:

I love the idea of the park celebrating different "genres" that Disney has taken part in over the years. If I could build it, here's the general layout :

1) Star Wars Galaxy as the home of sci-fi and action adventure
- the current simulator and store stay put.
- the American idol theater is turned into the Jedi academy stage show
- the Indiana jones area is remade into a dark ride that follows r2d2 and c3po thru the 6 movies and into the 7th and beyond...by using their point of view, you see all the action for the rebels and the dark side.
- the backlot becomes mos eisley as many others have said.
- they need one more e ticket as well, a pod race coaster / a destruction of the death star simulator / or some kind of speed bike racer through endor.

2) Pixar Place would celebrate new animation in a similar way to fantasy land taking you into classic stories and animation
- TSM gets expanded to speed up lines
- the slinky dog spin from Paris is added
- the monsters inc coaster or crush coaster for an e ticket
- the parachute drop from Paris could be retooled to be the Up balloon drop
- the Luigi tire ride from Carsland
- add a ratatouille themed quick service restaurant, with oversized food as decor. Then add a pizza cart that's shaped like the pizza planet truck.
- you could also add a gigantic gift store called Andy's Room

3) Muppets Studio is all about puppeteering and fantasy
- remake the muppet movie to give it a new feel.
- I agree with all the others that think mama melrose and pizza planet can become the Swedish Chefs.
- the other piece is that the muppets need a meet and greet area, maybe even something similar to the animation academy where you can see how puppets made and then let kids get a hands on experience in building their own muppet either by video game or in a "build a muppet" workshop.

4) Sunset Blvd takes guests back to the time of classic movies and more importantly classic disney movies.
- tower of terror fits perfectly here
- the B and B theater gets enclosed and becomes a Philharmagic type show that takes you through scenes from classic Disney cinema like Petes Dragon, Bedknobs and Broomsticks, Mary Poppins, The Race to Witch Mountain and so many others. This show can be narrated by Dick Van Dyke and Julie Andrews.
- the RnR needs to be re themed to fit this imagery, maybe a 20000 leagues under the sea or even a classic tron theme.

5) the hub that ties this all together would be the Great Movie Ride in the Chinese theatre.
- this needs to be retooled to take riders on a journey through different genres and give them a glimpse of what's to come in the park. Update some of the western/gangster areas to better fit the park theme.
- the last thing I would add to create the idea of celebrating the movies would be small picture spots throughout the park with movie memories. A yellowbrick road leading you to a wizard of oz set. Some street art leading you to a small rooftop looking set up with a chimney for Mary Poppins. A model of the ark from Indiana jones. Just randy objects or little scenes set throughout the park. These pieces would add to the movie magic.

I think the park was meant to celebrate the movies, but has turned out to be a mixed bag. I think they can get back there with a solid unifying theme and then start remaking areas to fit that universal idea.

Wow, I am just as sad to see the sorcerers hat leaving the park as anyone else. What will become the icon now? Tower of Terror?
I have to say that since Hollywood Studios is dedicated to the movies, they should enhance that theme. The park isn't exactly dedicated towards younger crowds as much as some of the others so maybe a ride dedicated to Cars? No other park has one and since the Lights!Motors!Action! Stunt Show is leaving, it would be a good idea. I would like to see some sort of Tangled or Brave attraction in the future as well. The park really doesn't have too much in the way of princesses!
As far as the villain thing goes, this park pays the most respect to all of the classic Disney Villains. Maybe a Maleficent ride would do well due to the current movie. Or something for Jafar. Or Cruella De Vil?

I love the idea of the park celebrating different "genres" that Disney has taken part in over the years. If I could build it, here's the general layout :

1) Star Wars Galaxy as the home of sci-fi and action adventure
- the current simulator and store stay put.
- the American idol theater is turned into the Jedi academy stage show
- the Indiana jones area is remade into a dark ride that follows r2d2 and c3po thru the 6 movies and into the 7th and beyond...by using their point of view, you see all the action for the rebels and the dark side.
- the backlot becomes mos eisley as many others have said.
- they need one more e ticket as well, a pod race coaster / a destruction of the death star simulator / or some kind of speed bike racer through endor.

2) Pixar Place would celebrate new animation in a similar way to fantasy land taking you into classic stories and animation
- TSM gets expanded to speed up lines
- the slinky dog spin from Paris is added
- the monsters inc coaster or crush coaster for an e ticket
- the parachute drop from Paris could be retooled to be the Up balloon drop
- the Luigi tire ride from Carsland
- add a ratatouille themed quick service restaurant, with oversized food as decor. Then add a pizza cart that's shaped like the pizza planet truck.
- you could also add a gigantic gift store called Andy's Room

3) Muppets Studio is all about puppeteering and fantasy
- remake the muppet movie to give it a new feel.
- I agree with all the others that think mama melrose and pizza planet can become the Swedish Chefs.
- the other piece is that the muppets need a meet and greet area, maybe even something similar to the animation academy where you can see how puppets made and then let kids get a hands on experience in building their own muppet either by video game or in a "build a muppet" workshop.

4) Sunset Blvd takes guests back to the time of classic movies and more importantly classic disney movies.
- tower of terror fits perfectly here
- the B and B theater gets enclosed and becomes a Philharmagic type show that takes you through scenes from classic Disney cinema like Petes Dragon, Bedknobs and Broomsticks, Mary Poppins, The Race to Witch Mountain and so many others. This show can be narrated by Dick Van Dyke and Julie Andrews.
- the RnR needs to be re themed to fit this imagery, maybe a 20000 leagues under the sea or even a classic tron theme.

5) the hub that ties this all together would be the Great Movie Ride in the Chinese theatre.
- this needs to be retooled to take riders on a journey through different genres and give them a glimpse of what's to come in the park. Update some of the western/gangster areas to better fit the park theme.
- the last thing I would add to create the idea of celebrating the movies would be small picture spots throughout the park with movie memories. A yellowbrick road leading you to a wizard of oz set. Some street art leading you to a small rooftop looking set up with a chimney for Mary Poppins. A model of the ark from Indiana jones. Just randy objects or little scenes set throughout the park. These pieces would add to the movie magic.

I think the park was meant to celebrate the movies, but has turned out to be a mixed bag. I think they can get back there with a solid unifying theme and then start remaking areas to fit that universal idea.

Hi all, new to the boards, working on my 6th year in a row going to WDW. Thank god for Kids and Marching bands, and Disney having them!:wave2:

Just want to call out the excellent suggestions above.
Need to re-create DHS to enhance what is now, but not forget what has happened in the past. Would love to see an area dedicated to the older movies that made Disney famous - Herbie, Benknobs, Mary Poppins, Apple dumpling gang and such.

Update Pixar with Cars and other movies
Star wars will be a major mover, but I wonder if DHS is ready to pull this trigger. Most expect the next Star Wars movie to be huge, but I wonder if that ship hasn't already sailed with all the Marvel and DC superhero movies coming now.

I have to think at some point, DHS or some park has to acknowledge what Marvel movies are doing for them now. So some tie in has to happen.

Love all the ideas shared here, looking forward to posting more.

I like a lot of the suggestions mentioned. I think that they COULD still revolve the theming of the park around a movie studio lot. Keeping Hollywood Blvd and Sunset Blvd the classic 30's theming. I would personally like them to incorporate the new "hub" into this theme also, as well as the area around Echo lake too...even if it doesn't actually stay Echo lake as is.

I would really love the more submersive themed areas (we're assuming a Star Wars and expand Pixar Place) be studio sets. That way they can be submersive yet still part of the Studios theme. As an example, In Pixar Place, you could expand, but have gates to "mini-lands" saying they are filming (whatever attraction) there. This would also allow them to do a couple different Star Wars settings instead of putting 2 planets worth of scenes next to each other.

Also, I've mentioned this before, but I would REALLY like the acreage of the park to expand. With the new land deal, it seems they can convert some conservation land that probably surrounds the south and each end of the park to usable park space, or move on of the parking lot sections and use the current area for parking to expand - for Star Wars.

I wonder how much work it is to move some things. I'm a big supporter of the Muppets, and I think an expanded Muppet mini-land could easily fit into this park. Either still around the Streets of America section... which might be reconfigured to stretch off a new Hub. Then maybe this could be an ABC tv area. I'm sure they can think of shows to promote or build simple attractions around.

I'm all for making the park not a twin of DCA, but I wonder if we will see a lot of similar items? For example, what if they were to move "Fantasmic" into the Echo lake area? I know, it would take a lot, and I'm sure it would change the show a lot, but if they wanted to, they could. This would also allow them to add/change a lot to Sunset Blvd in the future. I feel like the Beauty & Beast theater should be themed to fit? And the queue area and the attraction itself for Fantasmic takes up a lot of space.

Finally...I still think they could do a very little filming here. Maybe more like stage shows. I'm not trying to over promote them, but just as an example...how hard would it be to make a Muppet attraction (kind of like we have now) that could be easily "transformed" into a sound stage for a TV show? Not sure if that is possible or not.

Just some thoughts... more than anything though... I vote actually expanding the park, not just reclaiming old attractions.

My dream would be:
1. Buy the rights to Wizard of Oz and use that; so many things they could do with it, and it would be so cool!
2. Make a section of the park devoted to villains; doesn't have to be overly scary, but again, so cool!

YES!

Years ago, back in like 2001, one of my dear friends suggested a new park - completely Villain Themed. This park would be where the Villains would rule the world, intense and SCARY thrill rides, featuring Captain Hook "Jolly Roger," Facilier's Graveyard, Maleficent's lair, etc.

There would be Villain Meet and Greets, a special Villain Parade... picture an almost "boo to you," year round experience and let the bad guys out to play!

Alas, it doesn't seem like it will ever be a reality. It isn't really something the "whole family," could enjoy.

:hmghost: :hmghost: :hmghost: :hmghost: :hmghost: :hmghost:

YES!

Years ago, back in like 2001, one of my dear friends suggested a new park - completely Villain Themed. This park would be where the Villains would rule the world, intense and SCARY thrill rides, featuring Captain Hook "Jolly Roger," Facilier's Graveyard, Maleficent's lair, etc.

There would be Villain Meet and Greets, a special Villain Parade... picture an almost "boo to you," year round experience and let the bad guys out to play!

Alas, it doesn't seem like it will ever be a reality. It isn't really something the "whole family," could enjoy.

:hmghost: :hmghost: :hmghost: :hmghost: :hmghost: :hmghost:

That's why I think it should just be part of the existing park. Give us what we want (villains), keep it all in one "land" so that little ones can avoid it, and I believe it would be wildly successful. Add in a bunch more Star Wars stuff, and you have a VERY popular park on your hands. Probably expand on all things Pixar for the little ones, so that keeps it fun for the whole family. I think it could be done, and be very successful. Here's hoping! :dance3:

Falcon Flight: A cross between mission Space and TSM recreating the escape from the Death Star.

Behind the Magic: A walkthrough display of costumes, props, and models that made the saga.

Monsters Inc. Coaster

Land of Twilight: villains land with high intensity rides and villain meet and greets.

I can't wait for the day that they actually announce their plans for DHS. That park is actually my second favorite park out of the four with MK obviously being my most favorite. I would like to see them do something with echo lake. I don't understand the dinosaur and that whole area is just useless. They could use the existing water and build some kind of ride around it possibly. Growing up in the late 80's to early 90's I did watch all of the Star Wars movies, but I didn't go crazy over them. The older ones where better in my opinion but I did enjoy the newer ones also. I would like to see a Star Wars area much like diagon alley. Rides and eating places. One of my most favorite things about Disney is there theming in the restaurants. I would also like to see them utilize the backlot tour and hopefully LMA stunt show area (once they tear that terrible thing down) and expand some pixar themes that way. There are plenty of ideas for rides and shops that they could include. My even move pizza planet or do something with the streets of America so that they can tie all of those things together.

I think a simulator where you are able to fly in Mr. Fredricksen's house to Paradise Falls would be cool.

Look up Tron Ride at Disney park in Peking ... GADS .. or else look at their version of Pirates of the Caribbean. WDW stuff is starting to look very outdated.

I still love the idea of a Monsters Inc door coaster.
I know this is a zombie thread though a small part of me low key wonders what things would be like if they opted for this project instead of cloning TSM from DCA (though in all fairness I do think both coasts were built around the same time so they are more like sisters then clones)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter