Arthritis knees - info about the boat rides please

sharadoc

Visit WDW since '86, driving since '94.
Hi everyone, I was hoping you could help me decide which boat rides I can ride and which ones I should avoid. I have very bad knees and am on the larger side. Can any of you share experience or ideas as to which ones I should avoid? For instance, I can climb onto the seat of Small World and my husband can help me get out. Same with Mexico boat. I would like to ride the Na'vi River Journey on our next trip, should I assume the same? What about Frozen Ever After?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I think if you can do small world you should be able to do the river one stepping on the set and then out. Have you thought about using s Cain for help too

My father had a horrible experience on FEA today. He is larger, 6’5” and a bigger guy, he also just had a knee replacement about a year ago. He needed his own row and they would not grant him one. They were adamant about the three of us sitting in one seat, and made a huge scene in front of everyone about him not being able to sit. It was beyond inappropriate. I would avoid that ride at all cost, every other boat ride has been more than accommodating.

If you can do Small World, you can do all the boat rides, definitely the two you mentioned. I have severe bilateral tricompartmental osteoarthritis with varus angulation in both knees/legs. Basically that means worst case scenario knees to the point where my lower legs are bowing.

I am awaiting total knee replacements on both. I can't walk more than about 50 ft and also overweight. I can get myself out of all of the boats. My husband always stands by to help me, but I am able to grab the bars on shore and get out without his help.

The only ride he has ever had to help pull me out of is Space Mountain. I retired from Space Mountain, and took my farewell ride about five years ago. With osteoporosis in my spine, and a couple discs having issues, it was just too jerky to risk any longer. I still ride Rock 'n' Roller Coaster because it's smooth as silk.

My father had a horrible experience on FEA today. He is larger, 6’5” and a bigger guy, he also just had a knee replacement about a year ago. He needed his own row and they would not grant him one. They were adamant about the three of us sitting in one seat, and made a huge scene in front of everyone about him not being able to sit. It was beyond inappropriate. I would avoid that ride at all cost, every other boat ride has been more than accommodating.

What about his disability would make him “need” his own row?

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: That is completely unacceptable and needs to be reported!

I completely understand! Lots of people can't bend their knees all the way after replacement and his size indicates that he would need lots of room to keep them straight.

Even though I am pre-surgery, I cannot keep my legs bent that tight for the duration of the ride and often spread my legs straight into my husband's space. Don't think a 6'5" person could do that.

Yes what FortForever stated. He can’t sit straight forward cause his knees hit the back of the row in front but he could angle and be perfectly fine. Which he could sit with one other person with no issue. But they were adamant that we had to sit 3 in a row, and not 2 and 1 in a row. Every other boat ride was perfectly fine splitting our party but they refused.

Hi everyone, I was hoping you could help me decide which boat rides I can ride and which ones I should avoid. I have very bad knees and am on the larger side. Can any of you share experience or ideas as to which ones I should avoid? For instance, I can climb onto the seat of Small World and my husband can help me get out. Same with Mexico boat. I would like to ride the Na'vi River Journey on our next trip, should I assume the same? What about Frozen Ever After?

Thanks in advance for your help.
I also have bad knees and on our last trip I used a folding cane for walking and found the cane really helped me getting out of Small World boats. cant say about new ride as it wasn't opened yet but I was able to get up and out of the other 3 without my husband having to pull me out. a first for me even found it helped with the moving ramp rides also

I can bend my knees and can even lift my legs when seated. What I cannot do is to is walk up steps. My legs will not lift me. I can often pull myself up via handrails.

I had a horrible experience trying to load on the Safari ride at AK. Fell down twice before I managed to crawl in.

I am now terrified to try any “boat” rides. I know I can get in the vehicle, but what if I literally cannot get out. Would they have to stop the entire ride and call the Reedy Creek EMTs?

I can bend my knees and can even lift my legs when seated. What I cannot do is to is walk up steps. My legs will not lift me. I can often pull myself up via handrails.

I had a horrible experience trying to load on the Safari ride at AK. Fell down twice before I managed to crawl in.

I am now terrified to try any “boat” rides. I know I can get in the vehicle, but what if I literally cannot get out. Would they have to stop the entire ride and call the Reedy Creek EMTs?

I'm exactly where you are - and I have no idea what would happen. I presume they would have to call Reedy Creek... CMs aren't allowed to help, because they aren't trained in how to lift a person who cannot stand. If you didn't have someone traveling with you who could brace, and help you stand (or use a lift belt next to you in the boat) then I don't know what would happen. LOL I have always assumed that the whole ride would possibly have to go down, and I don't want to be the cause of that!

The question I have long had, and have never found answer for is this: What is the *average* step height in and out of the boat rides - and more importantly, what is the seat height of the seats in the boats? I need that information prior to even trying to step into the boat.

My PT therapist even told me that if we knew that info, she could literally help me train just for the boat rides (the steps in, out, and standing from the seat) at Disney!

This is a copy of some of the information in post 18 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread:

For MK, this is a list of attractions with accessibility information. Guests using wheelchairs can access all attractions to the point of boarding. In some cases, the boarding area will be somewhere other than the regular boarding area. If there is a different boarding area, CMs will direct you where to go.
All queues, with a few exceptions, are wheelchair accessible to the point of boarding. I put those in bold that guests would be able to stay in the wheelchair or ECV for the line.
The ones that have a wheelchair ride car are in blue, so those lines are wheelchair, accessible, but are not ECV accessible unless it is in blue bold. The guest with an ECV would need to be able to transfer to a wheelchair to use these wheelchair cars.
The ones just in black regular type are ones that require a transfer that may be difficult.

• Magic Kingdom Railroad - about a 12 inch step up into the train car. The train station at Main Street is on second floor level. There is no elevator. If walking, there is a fairly steep set of steps. Guests using wheelchairs and ECVs go up a steep switchback ramp on the right side, as you face the station. ECV users will park their ECV and leave it at the station (I have sometimes seen very small ECVs on the train).
  • Astro Orbiter - about a 12-15 ins step over the side of the car and the seat is very close to the ground. List says to see a CM for assistance with elevator. ECVs can't go up elevator to platform. Wheelchair may in certain circumstances (I.e. If person can't walk).
  • Big Thunder Mountain - fairly level step in, but opening is narrow. The regular queue includes some fairly steep ramps. Wheelchair/ECV access is thru a side entrance and you may be given a return time to come back to ride. Guest boarding at the side need to ride twice in a row to return back to the same side as they boarded on, where their mobility device will be waiting.
  • Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin - about 4-6 inch step up into ride car. Moving walkway, which can be stopped or slowed. ECVs have been seen in the line at times, but need to be taken outside after boarding if they were allowed in line (very small inside parking area)
  • Carousel of Progress
  • Country Bear Jamboree
  • Dream Along with Mickey (show on the castle stage)
  • Dumbo the Flying Elephant - about a 6 inch narrow step over the side of the ride car. Has one transfer Dumbo where the side of the Dumbo can be swung away for an easier transfer. It is a very low seat to transfer into.
  • Enchanted Tales with Belle. This has allowed ECVs in the past, but is listed as must transfer to wheelchair. Check with the CM at the entrance for your options.
  • Enchanted Tiki Room
  • Hall of Presidents
  • The Haunted Mansion - has a moving walkway, which can be slowed or stopped and a wheelchair can be brought as close to the Doombuggy as you need. Floor almost level with moving walkway.
  • it's a small world - about a 12 inch step over the side of the boat, then about 10-12 inches down to the seat and about 10-12 inches down to the floor. This is a link to a thread about Small World with pictures, showing the wheelchair boat: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2711435
  • Jungle Cruise - about a 6 inch step up to the top of the boat and then about a 10 inch step down into the seat of the boat and another 10-12 inches down to the floor.
  • Liberty Square Riverboat
  • Mad Tea Party - about 6 inch step up over the edge of the saucer, then about an 8-10 inch step over the side of the teacup - narrow opening
  • The Magic Carpets of Aladdin - narrow opening with about a 6 inch step over the side of the carpet.
  • The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh - about a six inch step up into the honeypot
  • Mickey's Philharmagic
  • Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor
  • Pete's Silly Sideshow - meet and greet
  • Peter Pan's Flight - moving walkway which can't be slowed or stopped. Floor of pirate ship is almost level with moving walkway. The new Fastpass and regular line is wheelchair and ECV accessible to a point about 30 feet from boarding. Wheelchairs might be able to be brought closer for boarding, but there will still be a walk involved.
  • Pirates of the Caribbean - This attraction has a very long queue - even without a wait, you will be walking a long distance if you don’t bring a wheelchair into line. Guests with ECVs can park the ECV and borrow a wheelchair to use in the line. About a 6-8 inch step over the side of the boat, about 6 inches down to the seat and another 8-12 inches down to the floor. Steep moving walkway to get back up to ground level at the unload area. There is an elevator down a small hallway to the left
  • Prince Charming's Regal Carrousel - there is a chariot, but it is a step up and a few steps to get to it.
  • Princess Fairytale Hall - Princess Meet and greet
  • Seven Dwarfs Mine Train - wheelchair can be brought up to the train car. There is an ADA car with a wider opening.
  • Space Mountain -step over the side of the ride car
  • Splash Mountain - Regular line has a flight of stairs. about a 15 inch step over the side of the ride car with a narrow opening and little leg room.
  • Swiss Family Treehouse - MANY flights of stairs, some are twisting, most are narrow and many are steep. Not accessible
  • The Barnstormer - must transfer, step over the side about 12 inches. Opening is narrow and there is little leg room (whole car is tight)
  • Tom Sawyer Island - island is not accessible, but guests in wheelchairs can go on raft over to island
  • Tomorrowland Speedway - low car with step over side to get in and seat close to ground level. This is coded by WDW as accessible, but may not be ECV accessible.
  • Tomorrowland Transit Authority - not accessible; the station is at 2nd floor level and there is a very steep moving walkway to get there and back down. Ride load and unload includes a moving walkway which is not stopped. Small step up into ride car
  • Town Square Theater - meet and greets
  • Under the Sea - Journey of the Little Mermaid - does have moving walkway, which can be stopped or slowed

Copied from post 19 of disABILITIES FAQs thread:

For Epcot, this is a list of attractions.
I put those in bold the guest would be able to stay in the wheelchair or ECV for.
The ones that have a wheelchair ride car, I put in blue bold. The guest would need to be able to transfer to a wheelchair.
The ones just in black regular type are ones that require a transfer that some guests would not be able to make.

Imagination 3D movie - 3D movie, see map for current movie
Imagination! - about a 6 inch step up
Innoventions
The Seas Pavilion including:

• Bruces Shark World
  • Nemo ride - less than 6 inch step up into ride car. There is a moving walkway which can be stopped.
  • Turtle Talk
The Land Pavilion including
  • Living with the Land (there is a new wheelchair boat, which is ECV accessible. The old wheelchair boat was not accessible to ECVs) - small step up into boat
  • Circle of Life
  • SOARIN - very easy transfer. Ride has seats similar to lawn chairs in rows. Guests who choose to walk in line will find it is a very long walk - over 1/4 mile to get from the line entrance to boarding and a similar distance to get from the unload area out again.
Spaceship Earth - some guests MIGHT be able to make this. Would require a transfer to a wheelchair, stopping the wheelchair close to the ride car on the moving walkway and a transfer into the ride car. They do have one transfer car with a wider opening. The moving walkway can be slowed or stopped for guests boarding at the accessible boarding spot. Step in over the side, about 6 inches. Door has a narrow opening.

Test Track - step down into the ride car and down to the low seat. At the regular boarding area, the car track is lower than the load area, so guests step down over the side of the car and down again to the seat. There is a wheelchair transfer spot (the seat belt check area), but this spot may not work for some guests. It involves a step over the side of the ride car, similar to stepping over the side of a bathtub.

Mission: Space - about a 4-6 inch step up into the space capsule. Sort of narrow opening.

This is a link to the Epcot Future World page on the DIS site (wdwinfo)

These are the World Showcase attractions, with a link to the WS page on the DIS site.
Gran Fiesta Tour in Mexico - about a 10 inch step down side of the boat, down to the seat and then down again to the floor. Very similar to Small World.
Frozen Ever After - the boat comes to a complete stop for boarding and unloading. There is a step high step over the side of the boat onto the seat, the another step down to the floor. Similar to Splash Mountain; step over the side is at least 12 -15 inches.
Reflections of China - guests stand for the show. There are lean rails that you can lean forward or back against, but nowhere to sit unless you have a mobility device.
American Adventure
Impressions de France
O Canada!
-guests stand for the show. There are lean rails that you can lean forward or back against, but nowhere to sit unless you have a mobility device.

From post 19:

For Disney Hollywood Studios
I put those in bold that the guest would be able to stay in the ECV for.
The ones that have a wheelchair ride car, I put in blue bold. The guest would need to be able to transfer to a wheelchair.
The ones just in black regular type are ones that require a transfer that some guests would not be able to make.

• Beauty and the Beast
  • Fantasmic! - There is a stroller parking area about 2/3 of the way between the entrance to the attraction and the seating area. Wheelchairs or ECVs COULD be parked there, but be aware that the seating for the show is stadium style, with seating on steps. There are wheelchair/ECV spots at the top row of the theater. Each wheelchair/ECV spot has a bench seat for one companion and the rest of your party will be seated in the rows in front of that. There are a few wheelchair/ECV spots in the very front row, accessed by a ramp to the far left of the seating area.
  • For the First Time in Forever -Frozen Singalong.
  • Indiana Jones Stunt Show
  • Muppet Vision 3D
  • Playhouse Disney-Live on Stage!
  • Rock 'n' Roller Coaster - about 8-12 inch step up over the side of the car
  • Sounds Dangerous - no longer showing this attraction, but theater is used for other movies/shows
  • Star Tours - moving theater. No steps; wheelchair can be brought as close as needed for transfer to theater seat
  • Tower of Terror - there are no steps to get to front row, but other rows are up on to 3 steps
  • Toy Story Mania - this one makes a quick turn after each game and some people find it too jarring. Very small step up to ride car. The special ride car is wheelchair accessible, but not ECV accessible. Guests can drive an ECV within a few feet of the ride car. There is a set of steps in the regular line. Guests with wheelchairs, ECVs or other mobility devices bypass the stairs.
  • Voyage of the Little Mermaid
  • Walt Disney - One Man's Dream - a museum gallery exhibit

Link to Blog post about ride access at Disney's Hollywood Studios. Includes ride care pictures:
http://blog.touringplans.com/2014/1...n-vehicles-seating-disneys-hollywood-studios/

Heres a link to the Hollywood Studio page

From post 21 of disABILITIES FAQs thread:
This is a link to the DIS sites page about Animal Kingdom.

I put those in bold that the guest would be able to stay in the ECV for.
Pandora attractions - both attractions require a transfer that might be difficult for some guests. This thread has more information, including photos and videos: https://www.disboards.com/threads/pandora-rides.3593133/

Boneyard - this is a playground; you would be able to go on the paths

Chester & Hester's Dino-Rama including
  • Primeval Whirl - this is a very turbulent ride. It is a roller coaster which also rotates unexpectedly. This can throw guests around quite a bit. Getting in involves a step up about 12-15 inches up to the ride car
  • TriceraTop Spin - about a 12-15 inch narrow space step over the side of the ride car.
  • Fossil Fun Games - carnival type games
Dinosaur - very turbulent ride simulating a Range Rover type ride in a primeval jungle. Step up into the ride car. Guests parking their ECVs
Expedition Everest - about 6 inch step over the lip of the ride car
Festival of the Lion King
Finding Nemo - The Musical
Flights of Wonder
It's Tough to be a Bug

Kali River Rapids - The regular loading area has a moving walkway. The accessible boarding area has way to trap the ride raft to limit movement, which makes loading easier. Getting onto the ride involves stepping up about 12-15 inches thru a narrow doorway. It can be wet and slippery.
Kilimanjaro Safari - tram has space for one wheelchair; tram is not ECV accessible. Need to step up about 15 inches into the ride tram; there are good handholds. There is a stroller parking area about 2/3 of the way from the line entrance to the boarding area. Guests using ECVs or wheelchairs in line are directed to an accessible boarding area not long after the stroller drop off area. The accessible tram returns to the same area for unloading after the ride. The wait at the accessible boarding area is usually longer than the wait for guests boarding at the regular boarding area. Trams that board at the regular boarding area drop guests off in a different spot after the ride.
Maharajah Jungle Trek
Oasis
- area between entrance as you come in and Discovery Island
Pangani Exploration Trail

Rafiki's Planet Watch including
  • Wildlife Express Train- it is at least 1/4 mile between the Planet Watch Station and the building that houses the attractions.
  • Habitat Habit!
  • Conservation Station
  • Affection Station - a petting zoo. ECVs are not allowed for the safety of the animals
Tree of Life/Discovery Island Trails

Jungle Cruise - about a 6 inch step up to the top of the boat and then about a 10 inch step down into the seat of the boat and another 10-12 inches down to the floor.
I have arthritis in both knees and Jungle Cruise was the only ride that caused me a lot of pain getting in, due to the steps having a higher rise than regular steps. With my arthritis I have to go down steps one at a time (stepping down with first foot then the other onto the same step), although I can go up steps alternating feet without as much pain.

Since then I tried the accessible Jungle Cruise boat, which has an elevated platform that lets you drive on with your ECV/wheelchair and you stay in the ECV/wheelchair on the boat. The platform lowers you but you're still higher than the regular seats on the boat. For pictures see here: http://www.rollingwiththemagicblog.com/accessible-attractions-the-jungle-cruise/

65994214-4AF3-4FC0-991B-7E86B1FE4804.jpeg B77EA2ED-D70F-4BF5-93B5-ABD698EB96BE.jpeg E657F2D5-CDDF-4AE0-8B91-C10D9E736DD3.jpeg
I have arthritis in both knees and Jungle Cruise was the only ride that caused me a lot of pain getting in, due to the steps having a higher rise than regular steps. With my arthritis I have to go down steps one at a time (stepping down with first foot then the other onto the same step), although I can go up steps alternating feet without as much pain.

Since then I tried the accessible Jungle Cruise boat, which has an elevated platform that lets you drive on with your ECV/wheelchair and you stay in the ECV/wheelchair on the boat. The platform lowers you but you're still higher than the regular seats on the boat. For pictures see here: http://www.rollingwiththemagicblog.com/accessible-attractions-the-jungle-cruise/
Yes.
The attractions in bold on my list have a wheelchair accessible ride car/vehicle.
We have used the wheelchair accessible Jungle Cruise boat for many years.
This is a picture of the boat getting ready to put out the ramp to load a wheelchair and 2 pictured of my daughter on the Jungle Cruise boat.

You folks are amazing, thanks so much for all the info! Keep the opinions coming. I do have the issue with limited bending capability and have trouble with some attractions. I wonder if that would be reason for a DAS, to have my own seat/row to spread my legs across the sest area.

As far as getting out, if there are bars I can get out. I can usually get out of Jungle Criise with upper body strength.

Thanks all.

You folks are amazing, thanks so much for all the info! Keep the opinions coming. I do have the issue with limited bending capability and have trouble with some attractions. I wonder if that would be reason for a DAS, to have my own seat/row to spread my legs across the sest area.

As far as getting out, if there are bars I can get out. I can usually get out of Jungle Criise with upper body strength.

Thanks all.
The function of DAS is being able to wait outside of the traditional line for guests whose disability make waiting in the line difficult/not possible. It doesn’t do anything other than that at attractions.
Other adaptations- like asking for a separate rowor having moving walkways slowed or stopped are handled by talking with CMs at attractions.
Besides helping you get on and off of some attractions, a cane can also help clue the CMs in that you might need additional assistance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter