as a child , where did your family do their shopping?

groceries = Price Chopper
stuff = K-Mart & J.M. Fields & Montgomery Wards

We got most of our groceries at Kroger with the occasional stop ins at IGA or FoodTown for little things.

Everyday stuff was a mix between Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Roses and Hecks. The Wal-Mart eventually put the other 3 out of business :-(

When I was really young it was the commissary.

Then we moved here and my parents ran a small gorcery store so everything came from there.

When my sister got married, I went to a big grocery store with her for the first time since the commissary. Jitney Jungle.

The only things we didn’t get from our grocery store was clothes and we shopped at JC Penney’s, Sears, and two local owned places.

The grocery store is C-Town now but it went thru various names since I was born. My mother does/did 90% of her food shopping there. There are a few other grocery stores around that she went to once in a while. At one point she joined costco for a few years but since my dad died she doesn't go there very often as she doesn't drive.

As far as clothes/shoes my mother loved A&S (it's gone now and I believe has become a Macys). She had to take a bus/subway there but that was her go to place for most things. She went at least once a week. We lived in a city so right up the street were various smaller stores that we also shopped in. Lots of choices within walking distance.

When my sister got married, I went to a big grocery store with her for the first time since the commissary. Jitney Jungle.

My aunt and uncle used to live outside Memphis and the grocery they shopped at was Jitney Jungle. I always thought that was the most hilarious name for a grocery store.

This thread reminded me of all the times my dad took me to Woolworth's and we ate in their eatery. I thought I was big stuff when they brought me my Salisbury Steak with the Parsley garnish. Dang, the memories. :)

When I was real young my Mom would drive into Clear Lake and shop at at Weingartens that was across the street from NASA. She would tell us it was the Astronauts grocery store. As I got a little older a Safeway was built. We shopped there until I was in high school and Kroger took over. We would also shop at a tiny little local grocery store for somethings occasioanlly.

Around here, for groceries, I remember Super Duper and Bell's the most, then Tops if needed.

For a lot of other stuff, it was Hills and Ames. My mom would go to Kmart but it was definitely not her favorite.

Appliances were from Sears and she stopped shopping there when they refused to give her the sale price unless she opened a store card. She told them to pound salt and left. Good riddance to that company.

She also bought a lot of stuff at JCPenney when they still had the catalogue. Most all of our sheets, blankets, and clothing used to come from Penney's.

When we lived in Southern California, mostly Covina, we got our groceries at Vons. After we moved to Redding, we shopped at Safeway.
For clothes and other items, I remember Montgomery Wards and Mervyn's and a lot of time at the mall. Redding didn't get a Target or a Toys R Us until around the time I graduated High School, and left home, and Walmart came even later.

Supermarkets:
A & P
Pathmark
Acme

And a dozen little Mom & Pop stores in the neighborhood, some for meat, some for produce, several bakeries, a deli, etc.

Hey RedAngie I see your from Delaware,same here. Did your mom drag you to Wilmington Dry Goods as a kid?

For non-food items:
EJ Korvettes
Two Guys
Sears
W.T. Grant

Better department stores:
Strawbridge & Clothier
John Wanamaker
Gimbels
Lit Brothers

All are defunct or nearly so.
Supermarkets:
A & P
Pathmark
Acme

And a dozen little Mom & Pop stores in the neighborhood, some for meat, some for produce, several bakeries, a deli, etc.
Your list reads the same as mine, just add Penn Fruit to the grocery list. There was one near my Grandparents' home so sometimes we shopped there. The A & P was in walking distance so that was the one we shopped the most.

Growing up we shopped at the Commissary. When the based closed we shopped at Raley's. MY grandma was a die hard Lucky's fan. My mom HATED Lucky's, so I only go to shop there with my grandma. :lmao: For clothes we went to Kmart, Payless, and Payless Shoe Source. Payless eventually go tbought out by Rite-Aid and stopped carrying clothes long ago. Occasionally we went to PicNSave, but I would NEVER admit to it. :rotfl2:

Am I really the first to mention Pantry Pride?

Clothes came from Sears/Penneys. And I distinctly remember putting winter coats on layaway at Gaylords. We rarely went to Wilmington Dry Goods, but a trip to the Tri-State Mall was a big deal! I remember learning what sales tax was just over the state line at the Granite Run Mall in PA when the man tried to charge me 28 cents for a pack of Bubble Yum. I informed him that a pack of Bubble Yum was only 25 cents. He informed me what sales tax was for the first time in my young Delawarean life!

And once a year we would take the train to Philadelphia so I could get an Easter dress at Wanamaker’s. Dang, I sound like I’m from an old movie!

My mother was a grocery checker, so her store! It was called Purity

My parent's employment dictated our grocery store of choice, too! From his teens until the day he retired, my dad worked for Dominick's, a Chicago-area grocery store chain.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter