as a child , where did your family do their shopping?

Grocery shopping was done at First National or A&P. For clothes and household items it was Almy's, Grant's, Zayre, or Sears.

It was either Sainsbury's or Tesco, with the occasional Safeway (now Morrisons, though it has been separate from Safeway USA for years). On rare occasions, it would be Asda (Walmart).

The West Shore Farmer's Market, Gimbels at the Harrisburg East Mall, Sears at the Capital City Mall, A&P, and K-Mart.

For groceries early on it Acme, A&P, then Loblaws, Super Duper, after we moved to the mid west it was Hinky Dinky, Bakers, Safeway

for clothes and stuff it was Maxims which I think turned into King's, Twin Fair and later Two Guys (my grandmother LOVED Two Guys!)Neisners, Sears, Woolworths. I remember when the first K-Mart in the area opened by my grandparents house.

For groceries, we lived in a small town, there was a IGA and a mom and pop called, "Jerry's Market" Clothes, Jcpenney or Wards, never did a lot of shopping at Sears.

I forgot Montgomery Ward. I even had the auto club membership.

DW and I bought our very first appliance at Wards, a upright deep freeze. Financed it so we could start with credit rating. Funny, that Deep Freeze lasted through 3 moves, and 43 years later, we gave it to our DS who put a different thermostat on it to use it as a beer cooler. He gave it to someone else after using it another year and a half, so the deep freeze was still going after 44 1/2 years, not to bad.

Mostly the supermarket - Key Food or Pathmark. Once in a while my father would go to the butcher.

A&P for Food; Gilmore's for clothes; Howard Johnson's for that special treat. :)

Pathmark
KeyFood
Local independent grocery store - not lying, it was called Foodland

Clothes came from Bradlees, Kmart and Caldors for the most part. Again, there was a cute independent store that sold only kids' clothes that we used too. And when splurging, we were at G Fox.

Kmart
Grocery store called Super Duper

I remember Super Duper stores, but we usually shopped at Kroger or Gold Circle for groceries.

For most everything else, it was Sears, since my dad worked there and we got an employee discount.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter