Ashamed to go to Disney without kids

I am a 63 YO Nana and I go without kids all the time, and not one iota of guilt. I take the kids when I feel like it, enjoy them when I do, but there is a whole side to DIsney that is great as an adult without the responsibility of kids in tow.

Your feelings are your own, and hey are valid, but I hope that you find a way to get past them. WDW with adults is fun. I meet characters, get my picture taken and have a blast, and you can as well.

OP: If Disney is your happy place, then go! Why should you feel any guilt for choosing to be happy in this world? Like there's too much happiness in the world already?? Go ahead, choose to be happy, not guilty, and bring more of that happiness to others around you! I doubt you're going to hear any complaining about that.

Me and my husband have a son and this will be our second trip without him. First was honeymoon and this is our 5 yr anniversary. We went last year with him and it was to much for him. Going to wait a few years and try again. Op. I'm a mom going to Disney world without my son and we have a great time. No reason to feel bad. Have a good time!!!

I am 66 years young. My wife if 65-sorry honey. We have traveled to WDW with children, grandchildren and great grandchildren. But our best memories have come from our last 7 trips-no children. We can truly enjoy the parks the way we want to, as a couple. I have met many who feel bad for making the Disney trip without their family or feeling weird because they are "adults" trying to enjoy the parks without kids. I always tell them the same thing. You are entitled to your personal happiness and if going to WDW gives you happiness, then do it. Walt was very specific about the appeal of Disneyland when it opened. He said it was for children of "all ages". The best part about WDW, and you can take if from a senior, is that you feel young again. The magic of that place is the transformation you undergo once you walk into the park and see that beautiful castle. So stop the worrying, stop the guilt trip. Walt created a place that was meant for everyone to enjoy, not just parents with kids. 151 days and my wife and I are back. This time to celebrate our 45 wedding anniversary and my retirement.

My wife and I have kids and are going in November without them for the 2nd time. Not ashamed one bit. We went last October for our anniversary the 1st time. I felt a tad guilty when we first arrived on property, but that lasted about 2 minutes. LOL! We go as a family every year and the two trips we went kid-less were just for a few days.

You do you and be happy about it! Don't be concerned about what others around you may or may not be thinking. When my wife and I went last year, we even rode Goofy's Barnstormer. We are both in our early 40's, I'm 6'1" and squeezing into the ride, but never once felt bad about it or ashamed. We had a ball. Like a previous poster said, the magic makes you feel young again.

When we are there as a family, I always think it's cool to see adults there without kids having just as much fun as my family is having. That's what makes WDW so awesome.

Walt didn't make parks for kids. He made parks for everyone. Families, kids, people on their own. He wanted a place where we could all feel like kids and have wonder and amusement. You don't need to have kids with you for that. And honestly, it's easier without them!
I worried when we were going to the Halloween party last year that we would be the only adults without kids dressed up in costumes. But we weren't. And no one cared. Except maybe the people who got the glittery seats after I left a ride. Sorry. We trick or treated. We took pics with every photographer we passed. We did what we wanted and had a blast.
I will admit, I've only really met Jack (then later Jack and Sally) when it comes to characters, and that's because favorite movie + fiance proposed with Jack in the background. I have felt weird about meeting them as an adult but that's more because I don't know what to say or how to act. I read online about people and their great interactions (oh yeah, we met Chewie too, that was magical! He blessed our engagement, pics still make me tear up a bit.) but I clam up in person when i have to talk. If I was more sociable and less awkward though, I wouldn't feel weird at all for being in line with a bunch of little kids and being just as excited, or maybe even moreso, to meet a princess.
I hope this is something you can work through so that it doesn't hamper your enjoyment. Disney is no place to feel shame. If we were there at the same time, I'm sure I wouldn't notice or think it was weird to see you in line with no kids cheering when Princess Elena comes out.

... I worried when we were going to the Halloween party last year that we would be the only adults without kids dressed up in costumes. But we weren't. And no one cared. Except maybe the people who got the glittery seats after I left a ride. Sorry. We trick or treated. We took pics with every photographer we passed. We did what we wanted and had a blast.
I will admit, I've only really met Jack (then later Jack and Sally) when it comes to characters, and that's because favorite movie + fiance proposed with Jack in the background...
I remember your story about your engagement from last year! It was so exciting! :)

...but I clam up in person when i have to talk. If I was more sociable and less awkward though, I wouldn't feel weird at all for being in line with a bunch of little kids and being just as excited, or maybe even moreso, to meet a princess.

This is very much me as well. It's why I like making my own autograph book (even if it looks like something a little kid slapped together XD). If my awkardness interferes with the conversation, I still have a unique experience and souvenir I can call my own.

DH and I don't have children, with no plans for any in the foreseeable future. And the couple times we've gone in extended groups with kids, I admit, I prefer traveling with adults. That being said, on our recent visits, I can't help but feel immense guilt for going without any children in tow. It feels selfish in a way, or maybe just immature? To clarify, I do NOT judge other adults visiting and enjoying their vacation, these feelings are all pointed inward and I don't know how to deal with them. Disney is our happy place and is a huge part of our lives, I don't want to stop going. We still take other 'adult' vacations, so it's not like it's because the parks are getting stale.

Does anyone else here battle with this conflict of emotions? It's difficult when I don't like to do the sorts of things most other adults at the parks seem to love like drinking or the scarier rides, and instead I'm waiting in line to meet Princess Elena with a crowd of toddlers.

I don't know how to get past this and it makes me so sad. I've talked to DH about it, but like I said, we don't want to stop going so we still go and I just deal with feeling stupid and guilty the whole time.
Life is short. Don’t waste your energy on this. Live your life. Have fun in Disney guilt-free. Who cares what others think. It’s nobody’s business.

DD is now 21, and she loves Disneyland and WDW as much as she did as a child. We had a blast at Trader Sam’s with her in Disneyland back in April. July 2018, we stayed at the Polynesian and had a really awesome all adult trip. She wasn’t legal yet, so she wasn’t drinking. It was fun anyway. We took a private fireworks cruise, rented a cabana, ate at signature restaurants, and even ate a character meals. I visited Tinkerbell all by myself. Nobody cared.

If anyone has a negative opinion on your love of Disney, tell them to MYOB.

Does anyone else here battle with this conflict of emotions? It's difficult when I don't like to do the sorts of things most other adults at the parks seem to love like drinking or the scarier rides, and instead I'm waiting in line to meet Princess Elena with a crowd of toddlers.

A pair of childless boomers here. We started our WDW vacations as adults 25 years ago and loved them so much we are now Disney snowbirds. We love our time in the parks. And we don't do the scary rides either. My favorite snack is a Mickey Bar. DW's favorite MK ride is Peter Pan. I grew up watching Walt on TV. I still get that little twinge every time we walk down Main Street.

Walt created the parks for people of all ages to enjoy. I know many adults who love Disney and visit without children. If it makes you happy, relax and enjoy the experience.
Wishing you many pixiedust: visits!

Last edited:
Disney is for everyone. Anyone who stares at or judges a solo guest is the one with the problem. Some of us have no choice, we go alone or not at all (unthinkable)
The more solo guests there are the less scary it'll be for those who want to go, but, are nervous.
Now excuse me, I have a Halloween party pass itching to be used. Trick or Treat👻👻👻

We have kids, 3 of them, and are leaving them behind for a trip. Don’t feel ashamed to go!!

People have said how odd they think our decision is and I’ll say the same thing to you I say to DH, why would we not spend our vacation money and time going somewhere that makes us truly happy? Why would we go somewhere we’re “supposed” to go as adults instead (Vegas, a resort in Mexico, somewhere in Europe, etc.)?

People have said how odd they think our decision is and I’ll say the same thing to you I say to DH, why would we not spend our vacation money and time going somewhere that makes us truly happy? Why would we go somewhere we’re “supposed” to go as adults instead (Vegas, a resort in Mexico, somewhere in Europe, etc.)?

Exactly. I think one of the reasons some of us feel awkward, ashamed, etc. are because we're hyper aware of those who view it odd. We get this exaggerated idea it's those people that are there. But if they find it odd, why would they be at Disney?
In reality we're among like-minded people (mostly) who either don't care or are happy to see other adults like them.

Though side story: I remember when I went to the theater I asked for a ticket to "Moana". There was who I presume a mother and her son over with the next box office attendant. The son exclaimed "Moana!?" and the mother said "It's not our business". Not the best phrasing but I think she was just reacting to her child as quick as possible. I just find it funny how shocked the child was at a grown man would get a ticket to Moana.🤣

Last edited:
My only guilt is when students ask me what I'm doing for vacation, because I know that not all of them have gone to Disney or will be able to in their lifetimes. I usually say 'Florida' or 'LA' instead.
But that's it.
When I'm preparing, in transit, there and back again, no shame.
I honestly don't know how people with kids do it, it doesn't look fun with kids, lol.

Honey, we are 50 somethings with no kids and as you can see from my signature, we've been plenty times. In fact if I add up the days, we've spent a whole year in Disney. We love the 'kids' stuff. We eat at character meals, meet Mickey, sing along at Frozen Ever After, ride Dumbo and have fun on the water slide at the pool. Guilty? Not one second. Embarrassed? Hardly. Still doing that stuff when we're 80? Hopefully.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter