Asia Disney Parks closed due to Coronavirus (SHDL, HKDL, TDL)

The one thing that has me questioning some of the statistics is the fact that the symptoms seem to have varying degrees of severity, probably depending on age. How many people out there either currently have it or have had it but never went to the doctor because they weren't feeling sick enough to do so. If the people with the most severe cases are the ones more likely to get tested then I would think that would skew some statistics. I don't think this is something that should be downplayed but I'm very curious about how many people who have had the virus with more minimal symptoms, haven't gotten tested and therefore are changing how the statistics look.

This has been discussed from the early stages in China, and all officials agree - the number of cases are definitely higher because of this right here - many/most cases are so mild, people don't even realize they have it, or they don't get tested etc...

It's been discussed a lot in Canada as we've had several people contract Covid on US travel - but they weren't in States that had high outbreak numbers. Rather they were in states that only had a couple/few reported cases. Therefore - they (whoever was being interviewed) said that tells them that it's out there, circulating at higher numbers than people realize.

As I read in a report today:

0 confirmed cases in an area does NOT mean 0 cases.

To be real-yes this could get real bad. But a great man once said when crisis was all around "We have nothing to fear but fear itself" (yes, I know it was FDR). Take the simple precautions. Hopefully the test kits will be available before end of next week. We could all take Patrick Mahomes advise after he won the Super Bowl when he said "I am going to Disney World".

One thing that I rarely hear talked about it is strengthening your own innate immunity. Little things like ensuring you have optimal Vitamin D levels or enough zinc could go a long way to ensuring if you do get the virus you are better able to fight it. We should be ensuring we do all of these things so that if we contract this disease or another disease it won't kill us or possibly infect others if we clear it in our own system quickly.

I just hate how none of that is really talked about. It would go a long way to helping with not only the Corona virus but the flu and common cold.

The governor of NY is not playing around and I for one think its fantastic and a great show of thoughtful leadership. So yeah I think NY is doing it right- far better than pretending everything is A-OK and hiding your head in the sand!
I think he's dong a great job. I am however, worried that DeBlasio will not be quite so on top of things and will wait too long in NYC to shut things down. After what I heard at his press conference, I honestly think that should be done very soon. New Rochelle is joined to NYC at the hip.

I live in a state with no cases, and very little testing, but I'm pretty sure there are no cases since there aren't a lot of people, either. In the "cities" they have a Unified Health Command which is poised to swing into action, and I have a lot of faith in them. I know those people personally.

The big danger is what is happening in Italy where it is overwhelming the health care system. That is when things spiral out of control which is why it needs to be contained before that can happen and with our lack of testing here in the US we could already be past the point of being able to contain it. If you read reports out of places like italy it is not a good situation at all.

The number of places cancelling events and things to help prevent he spread of this is only accelerating and for good measure. If you look at cases in NC, 5 of them got it at the same convention.

I think sporting events are coming as much as I hate it. Not cancelled but no fans. Jeopary and Wheel just announced they are doing that.
Yes. This is what some people don't understand. People could start dying because the hospitals are full. That's what's happening in Italy right now- their fatality rate is almost 6%!! People who could be saved in normal circumstances are dying- we have to avoid that no matter what.

I think sporting events and political rallies have to stop. Thank goodness cities are cancelling St. Patrick's Day festivities, that is sensible. This isn't a normal spring. As the head of the CDC said, "Expect disruption to your lives." One hopes that's just losing a vacation and not losing a family member.

I think he's dong a great job. I am however, worried that DeBlasio will not be quite so on top of things and will wait too long in NYC to shut things down. After what I heard at his press conference, I honestly think that should be done very soon. New Rochelle is joined to NYC at the hip.

I live in a state with no cases, and very little testing, but I'm pretty sure there are no cases since there aren't a lot of people, either. In the "cities" they have a Unified Health Command which is poised to swing into action, and I have a lot of faith in them. I know those people personally.

Yes. This is what some people don't understand. People could start dying because the hospitals are full. That's what's happening in Italy right now- their fatality rate is almost 6%!! People who could be saved in normal circumstances are dying- we have to avoid that no matter what.

I think sporting events and political rallies have to stop. Thank goodness cities are cancelling St. Patrick's Day festivities, that is sensible. This isn't a normal spring. As the head of the CDC said, "Expect disruption to your lives." One hopes that's just losing a vacation and not losing a family member.

Yeah once the hospitals run out of beds then people who need non-covid treatment may not be able to get it and die when they wouldn't have otherwise. and then you also start to have doctors having to decide who to treat and who not to. just read somthing on reddit by a doctor in UK and his statistics do not look good. If enough people get it even if the mortality rate is 0.5% vs 2% what that does is buys you 2 weeks.

Preventing the spread has to be the goal right now. That is the bigger problem not the mortality rate. The important stats are number of confirmed cases and how many of those need to be hospitalized. Once the healthcare system is overwhelmed it gets bad regardless of the covid mortality rate. Anything we can do to control the spread of this thing is going to help.

Here is a good article that runs the math on what we're talking about. https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/10/simple-math-alarming-answers-covid-19/

A few takeaways
Unwarranted panic does no one any good, but neither does ill-informed complacency. It’s inappropriate to assuage the public with misleading comparisons to the seasonal flu or by assuring people that there’s “only” a 2% fatality rate. The fraction of cases that are severe really sets Covid-19 apart from more familiar respiratory illnesses, compounded by the fact that it’s whipping through a population without natural immune protection at lightning speed.

Even if the risk of death for healthy individuals is very low, it’s insensible to mock decisions like canceling events, closing workplaces, or stocking up on prescription medications as panicked overreaction. These measures are the bare minimum we should be doing to try to shift the peak — to slow the rise in cases so health care systems are less overwhelmed.

I'm pretty sure (99%) I'm cancelling my trip for March 28.

I still can't believe people are still going.

For us it’s complicated.

If we could cancel or postpone and not be out a ton of money I would. We have 2 rented DVC rooms for a long trip. We have airfare for 8 that will only be given back as a credit to be used within a year (I think the change fees might be waived now, at least). We have APs with only two planned trips, with one trip gone that’s a big loss. We have regular tickets for everyone else but that’s one thing I assume Disney would make something work about. We are fortunate to be able to afford that kind of trip in the first place but eating the cost is a big deal.

Without Canada issuing the appropriate level of travel advisory we don’t get anything back. I have been a huge fan of point rentals and always insured them in the event something happened that caused us personally to not be able to travel, but admittedly this was not a scenario that crossed my mind and it may stop us from doing it in the future.

For us it’s complicated.

If we could cancel or postpone and not be out a ton of money I would. We have 2 rented DVC rooms for a long trip. We have airfare for 8 that will only be given back as a credit to be used within a year (I think the change fees might be waived now, at least). We have APs with only two planned trips, with one trip gone that’s a big loss. We have regular tickets for everyone else but that’s one thing I assume Disney would make something work about. We are fortunate to be able to afford that kind of trip in the first place but eating the cost is a big deal.

Without Canada issuing the appropriate level of travel advisory we don’t get anything back. I have been a huge fan of point rentals and always insured them in the event something happened that caused us personally to not be able to travel, but admittedly this was not a scenario that crossed my mind and it may stop us from doing it in the future.
Agreed. I’m a dvc owner who occasionally rents out my points. Ironically, I’d never rent points myself. I’ve traveled enough to know that plans can easily go sideways and having flexibility really comes in handy. Hope it works out for you. Most important thing is staying safe and healthy. Might help take some of the sting out of the money loss.

I’m in the “containment zone” as Cuomo called it, even though I don’t live in New Rochelle. And frankly, he did a crap job and just terrified people.

All he’s doing is shutting down a handful of schools, and closing the churches and synagogues. And getting the information of what’s actually going to be required to close is next to impossible.

So he went out, made a blanket statement about a “containment zone”, “life and death”, “national guard” but didn’t actually say what he was doing. He created major panic, but not actually a solution. Because of how he did his “radius”, there are families who have kids in multiple schools, one is shut down, and a siblings isn't. Shutting down the entire district would have been more responsible. I’ve heard rumors that all of the schools south of i287 will be closed by Monday, but I can’t fathom what the point was of shutting down some but not others in the same district right now. New rochelle is a CITY. Closing down Schools and churches/synagogues in a 1 mile radius doesn’t even come close to what they need to do.

His handling was poor. I don’t dislike the idea of shutting things down to clean, but the way he announced it was fear mongering, and frankly what they’re doing isn’t enough.

I’ve been trying to stay out of this whole thing, as someone who is immunosuppressed with underlying health issues, but I think everyone needs to take a breath, wash their hands, and be responsible. And live your lives as best as you can within the recommendations of the CDC.

Do you trust the CDC? There was an article in the NYT that stated that the labs in Seattle were told by the CDC not to test back in Feb.

Regardless your advice is spot on anyway.
  1. Don't panic.
  2. Wash your hands
  3. avoid crowds
  4. avoid unnecessary travel
  5. Be safe and smart.

Do you trust the CDC? There was an article in the NYT that stated that the labs in Seattle were told by the CDC not to test back in Feb.

1. Don't panic.
  2. Wash your hands
  3. avoid crowds
  5. Be safe and smart.

And to add to this, something that is NOT getting talked about - take other health-boosting measures:

1. Eat clean - cut out the sweets, the fried foods, the fast foods, the processed foods.
2. Drink lots of water
3. Boost your intake of Vitamin C, Vitamin D and Zinc.
4. Take elderberry supplements
5. Exercise and get fresh air, daily.
6. Get enough sleep.
7. If you smoke, now is a GREAT time to quit.

An unhealthy body has an unhealthy immune system.

1. Don't panic.
  2. Wash your hands
  3. avoid crowds
  5. Be safe and smart.
I don't anymore. There is too much information coming out about how the CDC has failed at multiple places along the timeline dealing with COVID-19.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter