At Disney, Mission: Space spurs most complaints

crazy4wdw

Moderator - Restaurant Board
TRAGEDY AT EPCOT
At Disney, Mission: Space spurs most complaints
Reports of injury, illness top other resort rides

Scott Powers and Beth Kassab | Sentinel Staff Writers
Posted April 14, 2006

Even before a second tourist died this week, Mission: Space was emerging as Walt Disney World's most hazardous ride, with more than twice as many reported illnesses and injuries as any other Disney attraction.

Tragedy struck the Epcot ride for the second time when Hiltrud Blumel, 49, of Schmitten, Germany, died Wednesday, a day after she fell ill following a spin on the spaceflight simulator. A 4-year-old boy, Daudi Bamuwamye, died in June after the ride.

Blumel's death renewed questions about the safety of the $100 million attraction that simulates a rocket blastoff and landing.

But plenty of people were eager to experience the ride, which reopened Thursday morning after an inspection late Wednesday by Disney and state officials. Many of the visitors did not know a tourist had died the day before.

Alex Espinoza, 17, rode Mission: Space four times and wasn't worried.

"My voice is destroyed from yelling all day," said Espinoza, who was on a trip with his high-school band from Ohio. "It was really, really fun. They warn you numerous times before you get on the ride. We even had a lady step out before we got on because she was just like, 'I can't do this.' "

In addition to the two deaths in the past 10 months, 10 people have reported serious illnesses or injuries since the ride opened in the summer of 2003, according to reports Disney filed with the Florida Bureau of Fair Rides Inspections. That's the worst record of all the Disney attractions and doesn't include more than 130 other Mission: Space riders who sought medical attention, according to ambulance records.

Second-worst were Space Mountain at Magic Kingdom and the wave pool at Typhoon Lagoon. Each had reported one death and four serious injuries or illnesses since 2003, according to state records.

On Mission: Space, riders are met with 13 signs warning of motion sickness, dark and enclosed spaces and spinning.

Just before people are loaded into the ride capsules, they are shown a video explaining the ride and are again given a chance to exit the line.

All of the warning signs and the video are in English, though Epcot brochures are available in multiple languages at the park's entrance. The brochures briefly describe Mission: Space as the "most thrilling attraction in Disney history" and warn that it may cause motion sickness.

"As with any thrill attraction, Mission: Space is not for all guests," said Disney spokeswoman Kim Prunty.

Prunty said Thursday that no changes have been made to the ride since the Pennsylvania boy's death last summer, and no further review is planned.

There also has been no move to post the warning signs in different languages, she said, but those issues are often reviewed.

A ride worker first called 911 to report Blumel's illness at 1:19 p.m. Tuesday, saying that "she seems pretty bad" but was alert. The ambulance arrived 12 minutes later, and she reached Florida Hospital Celebration Health at 2:04. She died Wednesday.

The Orange County Medical Examiner is expected to perform an autopsy on Blumel today.

Blumel's family asked Disney not to release any information, though Disney reportedly told state authorities that she may have suffered from high blood pressure and other health problems, according to one state source.

Robert A. Samartin, a Tampa attorney representing Daudi's family, said their "hearts go out to the family" of Blumel.

"They certainly understand how they can go from having a wonderful family vacation to just horror," Samartin said. "It's very tragic."

Daudi's death was eventually attributed to a previously undetected heart condition.

Since its start, Mission: Space has developed a troubling reputation for making some people sick. A few months after it opened, it became the only Disney ride offering motion-sickness bags.

The nonfatal incidents reported to the state included three men and a woman who all complained of chest pains and one man who fainted.

Still, millions of people have ridden Mission: Space in three years, and many rave about it as one of the park's top thrills.

Not everyone who gets sick makes a formal complaint.

Paul Borne, 57, a Norfolk, Mass., sales representative, didn't but said he wished he had, after getting sick following a Feb. 28 spin on Mission: Space.

He said he left dizzy, then developed a bad headache that night. The next morning, on the plane home he got sick, tried to head for the lavatory and passed out in the aisle. The flight crew put him on oxygen. When he tried to get up later, he passed out again, and after they landed an ambulance took him straight to a hospital, he said.

After two days of tests the doctors agreed with his assumption that the ride probably was to blame, he said.

"The ride itself? It was wild. It was dizzy. They had puke bags. I would never have gotten on it if I knew it had puke bags. They give you warnings and stuff, but all the rides have warnings," Borne said. "This thing, they gotta close it down."

Mission: Space uses centrifugal force, video and other special effects to make riders feel as if they are in a spaceship blasting off, traveling to Mars and landing. Riders experience four periods, of up to 20 seconds each, when the G-force ranges between 1.6 and 2.3. A G-force of 2 is twice that of gravity.

Under Florida law, Walt Disney World, Universal Orlando, SeaWorld Orlando and Busch Gardens Tampa Bay are responsible for their own ride safety, with no direct state oversight. Bureau of Fair Rides inspectors confer with the theme-park-ride officials annually but only inspect rides when invited.

Terence McElroy, spokesman for the state bureau, described Wednesday night's inspection as "top to bottom."

"Now understand, we don't regulate them. We're not experts on that ride. We don't routinely look at it. So their engineers and safety personnel and inspectors were the ones who actually did it. We did observe that. There did not appear to be anything, to us, that appeared to be out of the ordinary," McElroy said.

Disney officials pride themselves on having what they consider the best ride engineers, inspectors and safety authorities in the country.

However, that doesn't bring much comfort to advocates of public ride inspections such as Kathy Fackler, founder and president of an organization called SaferParks, which pushed for and got California oversight of theme-park-ride safety in 1999.

"All we're asking for is someone who doesn't have huge liability to step in and conduct an independent investigation, and let the public know," she said.

The lines for Mission: Space on Thursday -- in the midst of the busy Easter vacation season -- were much shorter than those at Epcot's other two big rides, Soarin' and Test Track.

One family debated whether to go on.

"We knew it was one of the most popular rides, and I heard about one person who died on it," said Darrell Lipski, who was vacationing from Peoria, Ill., with his wife, Lynette, and their three sons.

Lynette Lipski added, "One person we know went on it and was sick all day."

The couple were unsure whether they would let their family ride, especially their 7-year-old.

"I don't think we want to put him on it," Lynette Lipski said.

I think you get the most sick if you look around and don't keep your eyes on the screen, the thing they should change is when Lt. Dan from Forrest Gump is telling you to push the buttons, that causes you to look away from the screen more.

crazy4wdw said:
Second-worst were Space Mountain at Magic Kingdom and the wave pool at Typhoon Lagoon. Each had reported one death and four serious injuries or illnesses since 2003, according to state records.
The Typhoon Lagoon death I assume is the one we know about which was not related to the wave pool. What is the Space Mountain death?

Good question... didn't know about that one.

I think you get the most sick if you look around and don't keep your eyes on the screen, the thing they should change is when Lt. Dan from Forrest Gump is telling you to push the buttons, that causes you to look away from the screen more.

I didn't know this until I read it yesterday, but the Birnbaum Official Guide actually recommends you ignore your assigned task and stay fixated on the screen.

The tasks never bothered me, it wasn't until the fake Mars "landing" that I started to feel like rolling down the window.

You have to be careful about what is counted as an incident.

The death attributed to Space Mountain was a girl collapsing while waiting in line for the ride. Some of the 12 incidents on Mission: Space could have been similar events.

I believe that saying that Space Mountain had 5 incidents, including 1 death, since 2003 sounds bad until you read what the incidents were.

One of 3 Buzz Lightyear's incidents was a person complained that the lighting made her sick - let's close the ride and investigate that one.

The numbers are misleading when events such as the above are included. Universe of Energy had 1 death - someone had a heart attack on the ride. Did the dino's cause that one? But again, that was counted in the stats provided by the paper.

What I don't understand: Rock'n'Roller Coaster is far more intense and as far as I can tell places a lot more stress on the body. The warnings on RnR are nothing compared to what's on Mission:Space, which probably has more warnings than any ride in the world.

Yet how often do you hear about people being seriously injured on RnR? Or Tower of Terror, which I won't even go on! What gives? Is it just that people at risk instinctively stay away from those yet somehow flock to M:S? :confused3

Don't even get me started on how virtually every theme park in the country has rides DESIGNED to make you nauseous or dizzy.

I think there definitely is a self-selection factor. Beyond that, however, is that the sustained G-forces on M:S are different than experienced on any coaster. And the actual forward travel on RnR vs. the simulated screen on M:S (with the "don't look anywhere else" factor).

True, just the fact that you are told to not look away from the screen tells you that something different is happening.

Then there's the number of "protein spills" that resulted in the bags being installed.

Some people think nothing of it and don't understand the fuss, but clearly the ride affects some people very differently. We can't ignore at least that fact.

One possibility is that at least part of it is due to that self-selection factor. I'm sure there are people who would never think of going on a ride "designed to make you nauseous or dizzy" but who are still interested in taking a ride on a simulated spaceflight.

Further, there's numerous accounts of people who did fine on other thrill rides and yes the Tea Cups, but don't do well on this.

Again, we may not understand it, but we can't ignore that its happening.

One of 3 Buzz Lightyear's incidents was a person complained that the lighting made her sick - let's close the ride and investigate that one.
Nice try, but that's far too much of a leap to prove anything. Its established in the records that M:S has more incidents than any other ride, by two to one over the next attraction.

Clearly its having a different affect than any other ride you care to mention.

Post #9 ... nice try, I was only reporting what the Orlando Sentinal considered a ride related incident. Since they only actually stated what one incident was per ride, and that was the incident reported for Buzz, who knows what made the list. Maybe one of MS's incidents was the lights too. Likely not, but the light incident was reported as an incident.

erikthewise said:
What I don't understand: Rock'n'Roller Coaster is far more intense and as far as I can tell places a lot more stress on the body. The warnings on RnR are nothing compared to what's on Mission:Space, which probably has more warnings than any ride in the world.

incorrect, as far as sustained G forces, M:S is much more powerful on the body than practically any rollercoaster.

KMovies said:
Post #9 ... nice try, I was only reporting what the Orlando Sentinal considered a ride related incident. Since they only actually stated what one incident was per ride, and that was the incident reported for Buzz, who knows what made the list. Maybe one of MS's incidents was the lights too. Likely not, but the light incident was reported as an incident.

The nature of the incident is irrelevent, because you can assume a consistant number of real versus bogus incidents which means that M:S still likely sees twice the rate of real issues.

Twice as many sounds bad - but you have to put things into prospective. If it has twice the ridership of other rides - it would be equal.

I'm not saying it does, and likely, it is the most dangerous ride in all of WDW.

But inflating the numbers sounds more serious.

OK - Mission Space had 12 and Space 5. If you take out bogus ones or ones not really associated with the ride itself, maybe it goes down to 8 to 3.

The ambulance runs. Was it 142 for MS? The articles never say how many other rides had. What was the criteria. Did they do a "google" type search. Maybe they included ones like "person fell 100 yards right of Mission Space" and "person had a heat stroke near Mission Space" and "teen chocked on a Hot Dog purchased at the XYZ cart between Mission Space and Test Track". Did the parametics respond because someone threw up after the ride - wasn't that 30 + times? I've seen at times when a roller coaster train goes around the track a few times empty - due to it being soiled after someone got sick on the train.

I'm just saying give real stats. Which of these two would you rather see?

Snow White had 3 medical emergencies:

1. Nose bleed when girl hit head on ride
2. Man got sliver on ride.
3. Woman tripped getting into ride (maybe this one should be taken off the list)

Snow White had 6 medical emergencies:

The three above
4. Girl feel running in front of Snow White ride
5. Guy drank Coke too fast in line for Snow White and got a rush to his head
6. Person had heart attack at the restaurant next to Snow White.

Sell more papers with 6 medical emergencies but 2 or 3 is much more accurate and reflective of what is happening.

If it is that dangerous, all the 7 times I rode it (consecutively, due to low ridership on that day, single lane lineup, plus fast passes), I should be dead by now. The same goes with the so-called intense Revenge of the Mummy. Rode it 9 times in a row. No problem (and I have a severe back problems... yes, that's plural).

Those are only coinky-dink

The fate of MS will not be determined by facts, but by bad press, public opinion, and perceptions. If Disney perceives it as a liability then I expect MS will quietly go away.

As popular as the ride is touted to be, I have never seen a wait for it, while Test Track and Soarin' have over an hour wait and FPs are sold out by mid-afternoon. Although a lot of people like MS the ride is not the smash hit it should be for the money invested, and that may have some effect on what happens to the ride.

No, I haven't ridden MS and am not interested. My sister-in-law (who has ridden with me on RnR and ToT back to back) felt really bad for a few hours afetr MS, that told me all I needed to know.
It's not that I am worried about my health on MS (I do far more dangerous things than that), I don't want to feel like #$%^& for an evening at Epcot when there is so much else to do.

I guess we will see what happens this time but if there is one more death that has any relation (real or perceived) to MS and I think we can say goodbye for certain.

boB

As a cardiac nurse, I know that there are many folks who do not understand the function of coronary arteries and how these rides effect them. Also, many people are walking around with blockages undetected.
DH rode TOT a few years back and he looked like he had an MI. He was pale, diaphoretic, and I was really scared. We didn't report anything, but we should have. Motion sickness isn't deadly, but pressure on the coronary arteries or an aneurysm are deadly.

I went on Mission Space for the first time in December and I have to say, I was pretty upset by it. My experience with Disney is they keep things LESS thrilling than your average amusement park, and I've come to count on it in a way. I typically ride Tower of Terror 3-4 times in a row, love the Aerospace coaster and all other thrill rides. But they aren't as scary as a Six Flags or an old time amusement park and now that my expectations are set, it's what I expect.

So when I rode Mission Space, I was kind of shocked. The warnings alone started to make me feel panicked and ill. While I survived and tried to enjoy the experience, I felt nauseous for a couple of hours afterwards and was MAD I felt this way, since it cut into the enjoyment of a long-planned trip, an expensive entry ticket, etc.

hi,
just wondering if someone could clear something up for me about this ride...
is it like the star wars ride in mgm or the body wars(is that what it's called? can't remember, it's been awhile) ride in epcot where you have to look at a screen and the seats and all move? that's what it sounds like from the posts...those kind of rides tend to make me sick and i don't want to ruin my day...sis wants me to get on it, she says it's not that bad..but i don't know if i believe her :) she just wants me to ride it.
thanks

No it is not like those.
You look at a personal screen about two feet in front of your face. There is some bouncing like Star Tours but it is very minor by comparison. The primary source of motion and thrill is that you feel acceleration and deceleration (weightlessness) due to the spinning of the ride vehicle. It doesn't feel like spinning because there are no visual cues that you are spinning, and that is probably the source of much of the nausea and discomfort that results for some people. If you aren't adversely affected it's a great ride. Some people are affected by one ride and not the other -- it's not possible to predict.

If you decide to try it, do it at the end of your park day (but perhaps not right after dinner...); the line probably won't be very long in the evening.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter