At Disney, Mission: Space spurs most complaints

KMovies said:
and likely, it is the most dangerous ride in all of WDW.

That scares me right there - NONE of the rides at WDW or any other theme park should be dangerous.

boBQuincy said:
It's not that I am worried about my health on MS (I do far more dangerous things than that), I don't want to feel like #$%^& for an evening at Epcot when there is so much else to do.
boB

This is really what has kept me from going on. I am prone to motion sickness and sometimes feel a little queasy for a few minutes after Star Tours. But the occasional queasiness is not nearly enough to make me skip the ride, which we really love.

But being sick for a few hours afterwards is a different thing. I do not want to be sick as a dog for a signifcant part of my Epcot day. I would be upset if I skipped other attractions. I also don't want to have to pass on all the food choices around the World Showcase.

I didn't ride this on my last trip to Disney. It sounds alot like the fair ride Spaceship 2000 where you spin extremely fast. I attempted that ride once and it didn't even feel like you were spinning except your body was pushed very much agaist the wall and it slide up. No restraints. I got reallllly sick on that. Thank god I didn't ride this when I went to Disney.

Let's just hope people are more cautious before they ride

If you are claustrophobic, if you are in any way prone to motion sickness, anxiety, fear of dark spaces, then this is NOT the ride go on.

Otherwise it should not be a big deal. If you are in doubt, stay off.

The ssustained G-forces are, IMH Layman's Opinion, not enough to cause any difficulty to a healthy human. But hey, supposedly 2/3 of all Americans are overweight or obese, so maybe underlying health issues are at the root of perceived M:S problems.

But I do not see how WDWW can be any more clear on it's warnings unless it is something like: Hey!! If you are sick, weak, infirm or unhealthy, Stay Off! You will probably get sick & puke your guts out.

incorrect, as far as sustained G forces, M:S is much more powerful on the body than practically any rollercoaster.

Yes & no. The SUSTAINED force is more (realistically by only a few seconds), but many of the new "supercoasters" put up to 4 or 5 "G's" on you. Difference is they only last for a short time.

i wouldn't go on it when i went to disney since i have motion sickness from spinning (but dropping is fine i can do the tower of terror time and time again!) and my sis has a gastro-intestinal probs and did practicaly no rides this year, bless her. My rents went on it near the end of the day, and felt bad my dad quoted 'It felt like my stomach was about to fall out my butt!' my mom said she would do it again but she didnt like all the warnings it had freaked her out. But when they were in the que they met annother british family who had gone on it four times that day, no probs, and thought it was the best ride at the park!

You know the rides at the carnivals where you stand up in a big circular wheel that goes faster and faster. You really don't need to be strapped in because you are forced up against the side and can't move anyway, well it's sort of like that, but you are sitting down.

My DH has been on it twice, one not too long after we ate and once on an empty stomach. He was sick after both rides. He's not allowed to ride it again. Not worth missing precious time at Disney because of MS.

Our family Disney trip is a very big affair that I have to plan at least a year ahead of time to get the best rental home, airline fares and all the other details it takes to go from Alaska to Orlando every other year for 2-4 weeks.
On our last visit I completely bypassed M:S just because of all the negative reports coming from it. Now looking back I think I may have saved my life as I recently had a mild heart attack, the first ever for me, its anyones guess what may have happened it it was during a ride on M:S.

I think M:S will fade away slowly, ridership will drop off as more people discuss their reactions and the word gets out more, would this be the first Disney ride ever killed by the internet?

M:S has too much liability for a Disney ride, only Disney knows how much settlements is being paid for claims so far of riders with complaints. I could just imagine the what ifs of say a ride like POTC opened many years ago was to have the very same reactions multiplied by X of riders times years, would POTC still be around?

I don't go on Mission Space, did it once, decided the experience wasn't worth the idea that I might throw up and so now I sit and wait for my partner who loves it, and the thing that you notice it is that normally when you exit any theme park ride people are buzzing, they're happy, they're talking about what they did, there's excitement. If you sit outside the exit of Mission space for half an hour you get maybe one happy person, everyone else just looks like a stunned mullet. It's virtually silent and everyone looks a bit pale. That's enough to keep me avoiding it - I'd rather go on something scary but fun.

littlegreydonkey said:
If you sit outside the exit of Mission space for half an hour you get maybe one happy person, everyone else just looks like a stunned mullet. It's virtually silent and everyone looks a bit pale. That's enough to keep me avoiding it - I'd rather go on something scary but fun.

Aw come on, I've been on it with my daughter literally dozens of times and the people around us (there are 4 people to a 'shuttle") were always happy.

We rode the ride with fast pass, lining up, fast pass given by other people, and so forth so in an hour we can ride it 4 times and within the entire day we can ride it about 8 times. Now that's 8 x 4 people = 32 people. Future World opens for about 12 hours, that's more than 2 happy people per hour, and I'm sure there are a lot more people who are happy with the ride.

All the motion sickness etc is grossly exagerrated. A 7 year old can do it (even right after lunch), a 30 year old can do it (also even right after lunch AND numerous times moving my head to keep an eye for my kid) and not a single time I felt nausea or anything bad.

I think most people are just unhealthy in general.

Well I guess I am with the opt-out crowd. Tried it once two trips ago and enjoyed the ride but not 5 minutes after I got outside I started to feel sick. Not just your dizzy ride sick but something else I can't seem to describe. All I know is that something not-right was going on with me and it lasted until I went to bed that night. On my last trip I tried it once more just to see if the last time was a fluke. NOPE! Same thing happened. All those belittling others for deciding to not go on it should just respect our decisions. I agree that the odds of something seriously bad happening are very slim but those of us who know we shouldn't go on it anymore have a much more intimate knowledge of how our bodies react to the ride than anyone else could ever know.

BTW: I think the ride is safe and should remain open as-is. It's just not for me.

Stepping off the soapbox now.:tigger:

Kelly, I'm not a very perceptive person, so you'll have to tell me if your post was a joke or not. Thanks.

it's a tongue-in-cheek response to the previous poster (stating that only one happy person coming out of the ride every hour and the rest looking like stunned mullet). :)

The first WDW ride that was closed by word of mouth on the internet?

I think that "honor" goes to Alien Encounter.

CanadianGuy said:
The first WDW ride that was closed by word of mouth on the internet?

I think that "honor" goes to Alien Encounter.

I'm not sure about that. From what I have heard, it was the number of guest complaints made at City Hall.

Perhaps the "honor" may go to Journey Into Your Imagination (without Figment).

Kelly Grannell said:
Journey Into You Imagination doesn't have Figment anymore? I'm confused.

Journey into Your Imagination never had Figment. This was the second version of the Imagination attraction - an unmitigated disaster. Figment was, of course, in the original, and now remains in the current, 3rd edition (essentially version 2 but with the more serious faults addressed).

OIC. I remembered the 1st version with Figment (way back when) and the current version also with Figment. I've never witnessed the one without Figment. Thank God!

Kelly Grannell said:
OIC. I remembered the 1st version with Figment (way back when) and the current version also with Figment. I've never witnessed the one without Figment. Thank God!

that's easy, just sit in a room with all the lights out and play a track of Eric Idle talking to you and you have it ;)

(ok, honestly I only went on it once during that period when the 2nd version was open, but it seemed to me that most of it was in the dark...saves a lot of cost on props)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter