Attractions where lines are hot

We've been to WDW a number of times in the summer, and we actually enjoy it. Mind, we usually aim to take a break from the heat roughly 2pm until about 5pm every day, or when the afternoon storms end.

For some reason, it doesn't really matter the ride, there's a short stretch around 11:30am - where the humidity feels a bit intense, but then it gets better, even though the temp goes higher.

Even still, the temps usually only ever go up to 92 at the highest. your best bet- acclimate yourself to summer outdoor temps before you go as much as possible. Get outdoors, and minimize how much you expose yourself to AC. Your skin take about 2 weeks to acclimate. A day at the beach, outdoor sports, are great for this.

AK feels a bit hotter because the foliage blocks much of the breeze. Even still, I dunno, we don't mind the heat that much. Each trip varies, but on a few summer tips, I have actually felt a little chilly in the evening. I was happy to be wearing long pants. Some trips are hotter though. Where normally we might walk between Epcot and HS, in summer we maybe take a few more shuttle boats.

DO drink LOTS of water!

After the sun sets/storms pass- PM temps in FL are often fairly comfortable. FL is a peninsula.

In my opinion, heavy rain storms are a more significant weather factor than the heat. Some trips are rain free; others feature multi-hour storms every day. Most commonly you'll get short down bursts. Often your best bet is just to pop into a gift shop for 10min. Try not to waste a plastic poncho on one of those mini-storms. Also, don't count on being able to swim every afternoon, or shuttle boats running. WDW closes pools, metal coasters, animal attractions, etc ANYTIME lightning is within a certain distance. It can be completely SUNNY, and the pool is closed.

We also avoid misters. Dry is better, but we don't bother with any special towels or coolers or anything, just the heat makes us a bit sleepy sometimes. Oh, and chocolate melts VERY QUCKLY! WDW is full of chocolate! Oh, and maybe limit how much you carry around all day.

Wow, you have given me a lot to think about, and I’m slightly panicked as Sept is a wet month. I’ll just have contingency plans in place just in case. Thanks for the advice!

Wow, you have given me a lot to think about, and I’m slightly panicked as Sept is a wet month. I’ll just have contingency plans in place just in case. Thanks for the advice!

Just a little tip, if you notice the storms coming, grab an fastpass ASAP for an outdoor ride. Once the rain starts and they close that ride it turns into an anytime fastpass for most rides. I was unable to get a BTMR fastpass for a day last week but saw the rain coming and grabbed a Dumbo. As soon as the rain started they closed Dumbo and 2 hours later I was riding BTMR with my anytime fastpass after the storm passed!

Last edited:

I apologize if this has been asked before but what attractions at WDW have lines that are hot to stand in? Trying to get my plans together for a trip in Sept and it just occured to me that I may not want to schedule a ride with lines waiting in the hot sun in the middle of the day. Any information is greatly appreciated!
During our trip last week, an hour wait at Slinky Dog, two hour wait at Tower of Terror, and the 30 minute wait at Kilimanjaro Safari stand out as the hottest waits. The safari was the most unbearable. It was inside with no fans, and little room for outside air to get into the area. It was absolutely stifling. The majority of the line for ToT is outside, no fans along the outside portion, but partially shaded. Slinky Dog is partially outside and partially inside, but the fans are placed in such a way that you only get that relief for a few brief seconds before the line moves again and you are waiting 5-10 minutes or more before you reach the next fan. A few of the rides in Adventureland, like Magic Carpets and Jungle Cruise also are hot. Try to get FP for the rides folks have listed here and you should be fine.

Just a little tip, if you notice the storms coming, grab an fastpass ASAP for an outdoor ride. Once the rain starts and they close that ride it turns into an anytime fastpass for most rides. I was unable to get a BTMR fastpass for a day last week but saw the rain coming and grabbed a Dumbo. As soon as the rain started they closed Dumbo and 2 hours later I was riding BTMR with my anytime fastpass after the storm passed!
Great tip!

I would say 98% of the ride lines are hot in spring, summer, & fall. The month of September can be risky. Last year we were there in Sept. & it was hotter & more humid than usual (we usually go every Sept), unbearably so. Let me point out that we live in a hot humid climate & are use to that type of weather & it still was horrible for us. On the flip side, sometimes (mostly if there’s a disturbance in the gulf), it can be nice or at least not as bad. We do use a mister fan (fans are nice in lines), but what helps the most is those shake packs that turn cold. Our DD has a condition that makes her unable to cool herself like a normal person, so she overheats easily. We started bringing the packs in the parks when she was little & they really helped. We place them on pulse points. And of course drink lots of water, wear hats, & try to get in the shade whenever possible.

I was planning for June or October and reading this thread is making me very nervous. Is November any better? We will be going there with a 5 year and 2 year old. We can still bear it, but don't want make the kids go through such hot weather, since we are very flexible when we want to go. What are the best months to go weather and crowd wise?

Ok just to clarify, are you saying waiting for the Nemo Show is brutal or the actual show is brutal? Is the show outside like HS Beauty and the Beast? Thanks for the tip about afternoon showers!
Once you are in the theater, it is air conditioned, but that is too late: you're already a sleepy puddle.

We find it is better keep moving as much as possible.

We also like to avoid sticky wet misters. Getting really wet- like jumping in the pool- feels great. Rain is a mixed bag. You know, wash your hands, and they'll air dry in a few seconds. (Paper towel hand-drying in summer baffles me.) So I find it funny how some folks get zealous about avoiding all raindrops. On the other hand, WDW summer rain can be bone-drenching stuff.. and if your sneakers get utterly squishy, then ferment in the FL humidity, that's no fun. Post-storm weather and wait times are often much better.

Make use of all the cooler hours, and you'll likely be fine. To make it work, we do as the Spanish do, and take a siesta of sorts.

What are the best months to go weather and crowd wise?
See that's the thing..

There's no ideal time of year.

The whole year a mix of crowds, weather, significant price fluctuations, and significant park hour fluctuations.

WDW has years of data to try and keep the ride waits constant with price, park hour, and staffing manipulations.

If you do manage to find a lower crowd time, the weather will be less than ideal, and the parks will have shorter hours and less staff.

I like that late summer = long park hours, moderate crowds, and low prices.

Every season is doable at WDW, if we just adjust how we tour a little bit. Summer is a good time to slow down a little.

Winter's a good time to stay in and cuddle, but put me in summer and Ill be a...happy snowman!

No need to panic at all.
I avoided summer trips to WDW for a long time, because I thought FL would be too hot. Then we went one year in September, and I fell in love with the low prices.

I can't say we never feel hot, but mostly it just feels like summer, and WDW is kind of built around the idea of summer weather. When WDW is too cold for swimming, I feel like we are missing a big part of the fun.

Just be sure to drink lots of water.

Big Thunder is absolutely brutal in the summer
I’m in that line right now, after sunset, and I’m wondering how many guests pass out in full summer heat.
(I’ve been going in the summer the past 6 years, but I think this is the 1st time I’ve done a 30+ minute BTMM standby line.). Seriously, how can they not have any fans without this not being a Geneva convention violation?

I’m in that line right now, after sunset, and I’m wondering how many guests pass out in full summer heat.
(I’ve been going in the summer the past 6 years, but I think this is the 1st time I’ve done a 30+ minute BTMM standby line.). Seriously, how can they not have any fans without this not being a Geneva convention violation?

I always say Big Thunder has the WORST queue- there's literally no air moving. I remember standing in that queue in October just covered in sweat wondering if something was wrong with me- even my arms were sweating- I didn't even know that could happen! I wonder if people do pass out. It's pretty miserable- I bet a couple of fans would make a big difference.

I always say Big Thunder has the WORST queue- there's literally no air moving. I remember standing in that queue in October just covered in sweat wondering if something was wrong with me- even my arms were sweating- I didn't even know that could happen! I wonder if people do pass out. It's pretty miserable- I bet a couple of fans would make a big difference.
If they bothered to install the air-moving type of fans. Instead, there are an entire (2) fans that make more noise than air movement.

Our strategy for hot weather is to hit the parks at opening, leave around lunch and return later in the evening. Even though it's hot at night, it's more bearable when the sun goes down.

During our trip last week, an hour wait at Slinky Dog, two hour wait at Tower of Terror, and the 30 minute wait at Kilimanjaro Safari stand out as the hottest waits. The safari was the most unbearable. It was inside with no fans, and little room for outside air to get into the area. It was absolutely stifling. The majority of the line for ToT is outside, no fans along the outside portion, but partially shaded. Slinky Dog is partially outside and partially inside, but the fans are placed in such a way that you only get that relief for a few brief seconds before the line moves again and you are waiting 5-10 minutes or more before you reach the next fan. A few of the rides in Adventureland, like Magic Carpets and Jungle Cruise also are hot. Try to get FP for the rides folks have listed here and you should be fine.
The line for the safari is all outside, with the exception of the very beginning through the little room. It is mostly shaded, though.

I was planning for June or October and reading this thread is making me very nervous. Is November any better? We will be going there with a 5 year and 2 year old. We can still bear it, but don't want make the kids go through such hot weather, since we are very flexible when we want to go. What are the best months to go weather and crowd wise?
Generally speaking, November should be better. October will more than likely still be very hot.

See that's the thing..

There's no ideal time of year.

The whole year a mix of crowds, weather, significant price fluctuations, and significant park hour fluctuations.

WDW has years of data to try and keep the ride waits constant with price, park hour, and staffing manipulations.

If you do manage to find a lower crowd time, the weather will be less than ideal, and the parks will have shorter hours and less staff.

I like that late summer = long park hours, moderate crowds, and low prices.

Every season is doable at WDW, if we just adjust how we tour a little bit. Summer is a good time to slow down a little.

Winter's a good time to stay in and cuddle, but put me in summer and Ill be a...happy snowman!
Later Summer this year will not be moderate crowds or low prices with GE opening. That is the game changer and its effects on crowds has yet to be seen. It's effect on prices has already been seen.

Big Thunder, Splash, Tomorrowland Speedway, Haunted Mansion, the carousel and Aladdin are both out in the sun, though usually a short wait. Jungle Cruise if the line is long. Pretty much everything in AK.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter