August 15, 2016: Wonder to Alaska!

The Wonder definitely has various tasting seminars, including mixology, wine tasting, beer tasting, beverage & chocolate pairing, whiskey tasting, etc. but you can't book them in advance. When you board, the navigator should list where to go to sign up. We've done beverage & chocolate tasting one twice - once on the Wonder and once on the Fantasy - they were both good but the one in Alaska was spectacular! They are usually 20-30$ per person.

Aby

So did everyone check in and get their excursions booked? Here's our schedule:

Day 2: Palo Dinner
Day 3: Tracy Arm: Tracy Arm Fjord and Glacier Explorer TC 01 @ 12
Day 4: Skagway: Klondike Gold Dredge and White Pass Railway SW35 @ 12
Day 5: Juneau: Private Whale Watching booked with Rum Runners
Day 6: Ketchikan: Bear Country and Wildlife Expedition KE 12 @ 1:45
Day 7: Palo Brunch

The total was staggering! My kids are 11 and 12 this cruise, so adult prices apply :eek:

Is there a FE101 post out there somewhere for newbies? Is it a family only thing? It's just the two of us so I'm not sure if that would be appropriate?

My hubby and I will be joining you all on this cruise as well! Aby

Hi there! :wave: My Husband and I from Southern California, Disneyland Annual Passholders and love all things Disney. ::MickeyMo ::MinnieMo

My DH & I (both big disgeeks) are also on this sailing. Like librarianamy I'm not sure if FEs are for adults but if someone plans an adults get together or dinner I'd love to join!

So did everyone check in and get their excursions booked?

The total was staggering! My kids are 11 and 12 this cruise, so adult prices apply :eek:

Our check-in date isn't until June 1st, so two more weeks for us. We for certain want to do Tracy Arm Fjord and Glacier Explorer and the All Aboard Steam Train in Skagway, but are still deciding on what we want to do in Juneau & Ketchikan. Hoping to arrange a Palo Dinner and Brunch in somewhere.

We've gone all out and are spending so much on this trip for just for the both of us. I can't even think about if we had kids, too! I know your family (and all of us on this cruise) will have an unforgettable time & that will be completely worth it!

Let me know if you want me to check any excursion times for you, I know it helps with planning sometimes!

ok, I had to look:

Tracy Arm Glacier: 12 or 3 pm
All Aboard Steam Train: 11:20 am

Our check-in date isn't until June 1st, so two more weeks for us. We for certain want to do Tracy Arm Fjord and Glacier Explorer and the All Aboard Steam Train in Skagway, but are still deciding on what we want to do in Juneau & Ketchikan. Hoping to arrange a Palo Dinner and Brunch in somewhere.

We've gone all out and are spending so much on this trip for just for the both of us. I can't even think about if we had kids, too! I know your family (and all of us on this cruise) will have an unforgettable time & that will be completely worth it!

We've booked both of these excursions - great choices! I saw in one of your previous posts that you were mostly interested in nature & scenic tours. Juneau is famous for humpback whale watching but also for the Mendenhall Glacier. There are multiple tours that combine these 2 experiences - on our last trip we went on the Alaska Whales and Glaciers Photo Safari and it was absolutely amazing, and we are signed up to do it again on this cruise. The boats are small with a limited number of guests and offer amazing views. After the whale watching we had a wonderful hike through the rainforest to a great overlook of the glacier. The Alaksa Whales and Rainforest Trails excursion is also very similar and is run by the same company. We also plan to take the Mt Roberts Tramway for scenic views if we have time after whale watching and the weather is nice.

Definitely do Palo Brunch and Dinner if you can. Don't worry too much if you can't get reservations when your window opens, you can usually book on the firs pt day when you board as they hold some reservations back.

My hubby and I are really looking forward to going back and excited to share this experience with my parents. Very cool that you are taking your hubby for his birthday - you guys will have a blast! Happy to answer any questions you may have!

Aby

Let me know if you want me to check any excursion times for you, I know it helps with planning sometimes!

ok, I had to look:

Tracy Arm Glacier: 12 or 3 pm
All Aboard Steam Train: 11:20 am

We've booked both of these excursions - great choices! I saw in one of your previous posts that you were mostly interested in nature & scenic tours. Juneau is famous for humpback whale watching but also for the Mendenhall Glacier. There are multiple tours that combine these 2 experiences - on our last trip we went on the Alaska Whales and Glaciers Photo Safari and it was absolutely amazing, and we are signed up to do it again on this cruise. The boats are small with a limited number of guests and offer amazing views. After the whale watching we had a wonderful hike through the rainforest to a great overlook of the glacier. The Alaksa Whales and Rainforest Trails excursion is also very similar and is run by the same company. We also plan to take the Mt Roberts Tramway for scenic views if we have time after whale watching and the weather is nice.

Definitely do Palo Brunch and Dinner if you can. Don't worry too much if you can't get reservations when your window opens, you can usually book on the firs pt day when you board as they hold some reservations back.

My hubby and I are really looking forward to going back and excited to share this experience with my parents. Very cool that you are taking your hubby for his birthday - you guys will have a blast! Happy to answer any questions you may have!

Aby

Thank you both for the info! One more week until check-in! DH and I looked over the available Port Adventures last night and weighed out the costs. In addition to Tracy Arm Fjord and Glacier Explorer and the All Aboard Steam Train in Skagway, we decided on the Mendenhall Glacier and Whale Quest while in Juneau & Classic Misty Fjords Flightseeing in Ketchikan. He's so excited to get on a floatplane... I'm just excited period!

Is the whale watching excursion in Alaska worth it? Or can you see enough whales from the ship?
I think it depends on where you are from....
  • people who don't live by the ocean will appreciate it more.
  • Alaska features large and majestic humpbacks. Most don't get to be up close to such a large animals.
  • Don't expect humpbacks to be leaping out of the water like at SeaWorld. Those are orcas. Some may choose to go to Storybrooke when in Vancouver for an Orca whale watch there.
  • Do you like watching the butt end of an animal? Lots of tail flukes!
  • yes, I enjoyed my whale watch.... it's hard to see it from the cruise ship.
  • Oh! As you are pre/post-cruise in Vancouver.... check out the Aquarium.... they have Beluga whales!

Last edited:
We saw a couple of whale tails from the upper decks, but very few and certainly not enough for me as an animal lover to be satisfied! You will get a much more intimate and up close view of the whales on an excursion, especially on a smaller boat. We loved our excursion in 2013 and are doing it again this year!

Aby

Finally the day has come! We're all checked in. I was able to book all the excursions we wanted and a Palo Dinner. No Brunch available at this time. We'll have to check later or after we board.

Day 2: hoping to still book Palo Brunch on this day
Day 3: (Tracy Arm)
Day 4: All Aboard Steam Train 11:20 (Skagway)
Day 5: Mendenhall Glacier and Whale Quest 10:30 (Juneau)
Day 6: Classic Misty Fjords Flightseeing 1:45 (Ketchikan)
Day 7: Palo Dinner

We decided not to book the Tracy Arm Fjord and Glacier Explorer because of negative reviews coming in. And decided to take in the views from the Wonder and our verandah and just enjoy the ship instead.

Finally the day has come! We're all checked in. I was able to book all the excursions we wanted and a Palo Dinner. No Brunch available at this time. We'll have to check later or after we board.

Day 2: hoping to still book Palo Brunch on this day
Day 3: (Tracy Arm)
Day 4: All Aboard Steam Train 11:20 (Skagway)
Day 5: Mendenhall Glacier and Whale Quest 10:30 (Juneau)
Day 6: Classic Misty Fjords Flightseeing 1:45 (Ketchikan)
Day 7: Palo Dinner

We decided not to book the Tracy Arm Fjord and Glacier Explorer because of negative reviews coming in. And decided to take in the views from the Wonder and our verandah and just enjoy the ship instead.
The group on Facebook "Disney Wonder August 15 - 22" has a private brunch at Palo on day 2. Also, setting up FE, Pixie dusting and a recipe exchange. You should check it out. The group is pretty active.

The group on Facebook "Disney Wonder August 15 - 22" has a private brunch at Palo on day 2. Also, setting up FE, Pixie dusting and a recipe exchange. You should check it out. The group is pretty active.

Thanks. And yeah, I'm in that facebook group, too. I can see how much more active it is than here. I joined here before I found that one, so I'm kind of late to game there, but have been reading past posts and leaning a lot. When it comes to vacations, DH and I like to book some things and play it by ear with others. That way we have options, but aren't completely committed to things if we want to change our plans. I know the FE group is smaller here and I know some of you have joined some on the facebook group. Still deciding if I might want to add more to my FE, pixie dusting and/or do recipe exchange as well.

Hi @Toy5tory & welcome aboard. Please tell us about yourself and who your sailing with. Share what made you want to take this cruise & your plans. And ask questions you have. I've found so much helpful advice around here!

Hi @Toy5tory & welcome aboard. Please tell us about yourself and who your sailing with. Share what made you want to take this cruise & your plans. And ask questions you have. I've found so much helpful advice around here!

Thanks!! this will be our 1st Disney Cruise as a family of 4. Getting super excited as the cruise date is getting closer!

Start chatting! Tell us what excursions you booked :) We have a spot left for you...

For Fish extender gifts, are there 'dates' to when we distribute them? Does everybody do it on the first day or throughout the cruise?

Ok, Time to finalize the Fish extender lists! Please let me know if you are still wanting to participate. I have sent messages to those I could but some do not have enough posts to receive them yet.

Could not contact:
Melissa Gates
Csel
DisneyLessy
Caloucon
Toy5tory
yes please!! working on more 'posts' to have messaging option!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter