• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Auto Train to College Program w/24hr at MK & SWW(new!SWW '14 rope drop/sci fi brkfst)

We live locally, so this year we wound up going to SWW...a lot. It really is fabulous for all the reasons you stated. We did a number of the shows this year and absolutely loved them. My daughter traded a pressed penny with the Jawa and got a bracelet in return. She loved the Jawas so much she is going to be one for Halloween. :)

The pics of the Star Wars programs look like a lot of fun. Mark looks like a natural in his Star Wars "robe" maybe a new career in the making.
Hope he's having fun with his CP. How long before the cruise does he finish up?
The line up for the scale was too funny. Only a man would actually want to take the time to weigh himself - in PUBLIC.:rotfl:

And by the way - I'm also a Willow fan. Love that movie.

the programs were a lot of fun. We enjoyed every minute. I think people get the wrong impression that they have to be big Star Wars Fans to enjoy the park on these weekends and you really don't. These celebrities have very notable careers extending way beyond their Star Wars days which made the shows so much more entertaining. We had a great time.

Mark loves to participate in that kind of stuff and I'm glad he walked around donning a few accessories. he told us he'd love to be one of the characters some day. We'll see. It's tough to get that gig. They have a big demand down there. He's enjoying himself though.

Glad to meet another Willow fan. Great movie.

We live locally, so this year we wound up going to SWW...a lot. It really is fabulous for all the reasons you stated. We did a number of the shows this year and absolutely loved them. My daughter traded a pressed penny with the Jawa and got a bracelet in return. She loved the Jawas so much she is going to be one for Halloween. :)

Jane, I'm so jealous you live local. I'd love to have the option of just heading over on a weekend to hang out. Especially for something like this and all the Fall and Winter events. JQ and I always talk about relocating. Maybe someday.

I totally agree - the Jawas were a big hit with us too! One of the highlights. That's really great that your daughter traded for a bracelet. She did good!! I loved how they offered different things they had secretly hidden in their belts. She made a great choice for Halloween!

May 26, 2013

Sunday Evening
Memorial Day Weekend

A Signature Dinner at Citricos

Location - Disneys Grand Floridian Resort & Spa

We had booked a split stay for this 9 day trip for three reasons

1. Cost
2. Versatility
3. A Flexible Dining Plan

Split stays are great for all of the above.

Just to recap - Our trip encompassed the following:

4 nts. at the Pop Century - std meal plan (thurs 5/23 - mon 5/27)
5 nts. at Saratoga Springs - out of pocket (mon. 5/27 - sat. 6/1)

Iron Man was checking in for the College Program tomorrow and we knew he'd probably be gone after that.

So we decided to experience a new signature restaurant as the perfect way to spend our last night together.

Enter Citricos

Tucked away in the far left corner on the 2nd Floor of the Main Building at the Grand Floridian, Citricos shares its entryway with Victoria & Alberts.

Citricos is a beautiful restaurant. (My camera hates artificial light so these photos do not do it any justice.) It has a very upscale look and feel to it. It is impeccably designed with these gorgeous floor to ceiling windows aligning the exterior wall, and the seating is beyond comfortable.

We had an 8:30pm reservation which is one of the latest seatings for dinner. This worked the best with our schedule today and was a great time to quietly dine here. We were told it would be a few minutes and invited to wait in the lounge.

Perfect!

It's such a weird feeling when you see your kid sitting at the bar, knowing he can get served.

I decided to join him. Classy joint. Drinks were in order.

Their lounge is very inviting. Along with seating at the bar, there are these great wicker tables and chairs which align the windows both in the lobby and the lounge. This would be an excellent place to sit, relax, have a few drinks and simply enjoy the ambiance any evening - especially during the holidays.

We'll most certainly be back!

Unfortunately, I did not photograph the entire lounge area, but there are many photos if you search the public domain.

The bar menu lists tapas along with the drinks.

Stella Artois Belgium Ale - $ 7.25

Citricos Bellini - Sonim Brut Reserva Cava Infused with Blood Orange Puree $ 10.75

Excellent Choice! Perfect compliment for the occasion.

We were seated at a 4 top against the farthest window (you can barely see the empty table back there in the far left corner)

Beautiful view of the restaurant and pool at night.

Citricos emphasizes the absolute freshest cuisine with a strong incorporation of local ingredients. The whole time we were dining I kept thinking what took us so long?

This is an incredible restaurant.

We were served amuse bouche (which I can't remember what exactly) and a basket with whole grain and olive bread

Tapas, First Course & Soups and Salads

We ordered the following (all out of pocket)

Sauteed Shrimp Lemon White Wine, Tomatoes, Feta $ 14.00

This was excellent! The compliment of flavors were outstanding!

Cheese Course Trio - Murcia al Vino from Spain, Gorgonzola Piccante from Italy, and Petit Agour from the Basque region of France served with Seasonal Accompaniments $ 14.00

Fantastic! We loved every bit of this!

Florida King Farm Peaches and Baby Greens Salad - Balsamic-Orange Blossom Honey Emulsion, Pickled Red Pearl Onions, Bosina Robiota-Sun-dried tomato Crostini, and Spiced Walnuts $ 14.00

Excellent Salad! The peaches, the walnuts, the crostini, the dressing everything about this salad is delicious!

So far we are thoroughly enjoying this meal.

Moving on to the Main Course

Pan-Seared Florida Black Grouper - Fresh Tomato and Egg Fettuccini in a Tomato Water, Blistered Heirloom Tomato and Basil.

As awesome as this looks, it fell short on flavor with the Tomato Water. The Grouper, which is a big favorite and hard to get where we live, was exceptional. The fettuccine was delicious. It was so incredibly fresh and light. Too bad the dish didn't pop with flavor from the tomato and basil. I'm thinking it was too diluted to fully enhance and enrich. But I would order it again in a hearbeat!! Love the design of this dish and can't indulge enough on that fish.

Pan-Roasted Ashley Farms Chicken Breast- Zellwood Spiced Sorella Mascarpone Cream Corn, Peach Glaze, and Oak-grilled Delta Asparagus.

Absolutely Delicious! I was really looking forward to trying this and it was excellent. Highly recommend!

Oak-grilled Filet of Beef - Yukon Gold Potato and Vidalia Gratin, with a Horseradish Remoulade, and Cabernet Demi-glace

According to the men in my family, this was excellent as well. They loved it - especially with the Vidalia and devoured the entire dish.

Ok let's have some dessert!

along with the dessert menu, they offer an extensive selection of specialty teas, coffees, cordials, cognacs, port, sherry, madeira and dessert wines.

Tropical Fruit Crème Brulee - with Mango and Assorted Berries

To die for if you are a crème brulee fan! it's MANGO! it's fresh berries! and it's delicious!

Warm Chocolate-Banana Torte - with Vanilla Ice Cream and Handcrafted Belgium Couverture Chocolate Crown.

this is a signature dessert. very popular. very delicious. exceptionally prepared and incredibly rich and indulgent. it is dark chocolate but in a good way!

I also ordered the lemon cheesecake to go. (sorry, no photo)

Overall a great restaurant, a great meal & a great send off dinner. I will not hesitate to book here again and again. We had the best night! Loved it!

up next: Iron Man checks into the College Program

Last edited:

Wow, sounds like a great meal at Citricos

Thanks for posting info about the lounge as well, including the beer and cocktail list. Must admit - that is one of the most legit looking craft beer lists I have seen at WDW ;)

Awesome pics! :)

thanks again wiigirl!

Wow, sounds like a great meal at Citricos

Thanks for posting info about the lounge as well, including the beer and cocktail list. Must admit - that is one of the most legit looking craft beer lists I have seen at WDW ;)

Yes, it really was a great meal. I'd love to take my parents there in Sept. Still working out the budgeting with the meal plan v. cash. We'll see.

I really enjoyed their lounge and can see myself sitting there in the future. I think it's overlooked given the location and was very impressed with the selections. They have an extensive stock on hand.

I'm guessing it's due to their proximity to Victoria & Albert's.

Imagine the wine list.

check out their after dinner menu - (sorry for the blurred print. someday we'll upgrade our equipment)

Cheers!

Day 6

Memorial Day

May 27, 2013

The Disney College Program - Introduction

Today is a major day of activity:

1. Check in day for Mark into the Disney College Program
(processing, role assignment and apartment move-in day)

2. Resort switch for JQ and I to a Saratoga Springs Studio
3. A surprise tour of the Grand Floridian Villas Model Units
4. A Late Night Dinner for two at Monsieur Pauls

The Disney College Program (DCP)

Mark is an alumni So this is his 2nd program.
He successfully graduated from the Spring 2011 DCP working QSFB (quick service food & beverage) at the All Star Movies Resort for 5 months. I give him a lot of credit and a big congratulations on both.

What can I say about the DCP that hasn't already been said?

I can tell you the truth, walk you through some of the basics and show you the process from an adults' perspective.

I. This is a great opportunity.

It's a terrific way to get started with a major company.

The hiring process does not require a resume.
They house the participants in apartments and automatically dock their pay for the rent.
They dress the participants in full costume which are laundered by the company
(dropped off dirty and picked up clean at costuming.)
They bus the participants free of charge - even to the outlet malls and Walmart.

They provide opportunities to audition for character performer and entertainment.

They do not discriminate - any age can participate provided they meet the minimum entrance requirements - one of which is that you are matriculated at the time you apply.

They provide great networking opportunities, such as lunch with an imagineer and onsite staff and alumni to assist with career development.

They provide courses free of charge such as leadership training which can be extremely beneficial with minimal requirements.

CMs are given the unique opportunity to create magical moments for guests which can be very rewarding.

If you are one of the very few lucky enough to land a "Dream Assignment", it can be a very positive and fulfilling experience.

A DCP candidates tenure can lead to being successfully hired for seasonal, PT and FT positions throughout the Disney Corporation in the future.
So if this is a goal - this is a great place to start.

On The Other Hand -

II. This is a difficult opportunity.

The working environment at Disney for DCP participants is beyond strict.
The Housing rules for DCP participants are beyond strict.
Both are unyielding in enforcement and flexibility.

They hire a ton of candidates each cycle and rotate them out like a revolving door on steroids.
More than 1/3 of the participants do not complete the program.
Many males are in these percentages.

Candidates either self term for a number of reasons, or are termed by the computer very easily, thanks to a point system with a 3 strikes policy on attendance and work related reprimands. Once you exceed the maximum reprimands you are automatically terminated in the system.
No ifs, ands or buts.
It's over.

Here are some basic rules: (to name a few)

You must clock in and out - ON TIME - every single day.
You cannot be one second late or you will incur a ½ point on your record card.
If you miss work or call out sick you will incur 1 point on your record card per incident.
(If these points accumulate to even 5, they will impact your ability to extend your internship and advance your employment within the company upon the completion of the program and if you get too many too quickly, this results in an attendance reprimand. - you are only allowed 3)

If you do something wrong at work that requires counseling such as taking too long or attitude or hanging out somewhere you shouldn't or leaving your area without permission or not following orders properly you will incur a work related reprimand. (you are only allowed 2)

There are costuming rules - what you can and cannot be seen wearing in public and what you must wear as part of your costume to work every day. All clean of course.

There are CM rules you must follow at all times - all secret of course.

There are hygiene rules. (you can look them up)

No underage drinking in the housing complexes.
No under 21 candidates can be in anyone's apt with alcohol present. Not even a beer in the fridge.
No visitiors, CM's or guests can be in the apartment complex they are not assigned to after a set curfew.
No outside overnight guests - ever! (unless they are already living in your housing complex)
There are routine and surprise apartment inspections.

OK - Rules aside, here are some other details worth mentioning:

The fingerprinting and background check is extensive.
(even if you had a charge dismissed, a ticket thrown out or something removed from your record it will usually show up.)

The bus transportation is unreliable, crowded at times and cumbersome to schedule around,
Busses don't always run on schedule - and have been known not to show up at all.

If you don't set up your roommates in advance, you may be assigned living partners who are not ideal. This could be a problem not easily resolved.

And so on and so on and so on. You get the picture.
It's survival of the fittest.

III. This is a minimum wage job in a Service and Entertainment Industry not a vacation. (so let's not sugarcoat it)

The pay is low
The work is hard
The work can be mundane
The hours are difficult
The guests can be VERY demanding and extremely difficult (way more than you realize and on a consistent basis!)
The managers can be tough.
The scheduling can be rough. (Long hours - late hours - early hours - extended hours!)
No say in where you are assigned to work
No say in what you are assigned to do
No way to switch assignments
No sick time
No vacation time (however, you can put in a request to not be scheduled in advance for certain days - without pay)

IV. There are great perks to being a company employee.

50-60% discounts on rooms for employees
40-50% discounts on rooms for friends and family (there is a limit on the amount of times)
A ton of other discounts on merchandising, food and beverage items, cruises, transportation, etc. as well as non Disney offers - you name it.

A Main Entrance Gate Pass - which provides a complimentary park hopper day pass that can be used a maximum of 6 times for up to 3 guests at a time.

A Cast Member ID - which gives you behind the scenes access to the parks and resorts and beyond.

V. There is a tremendous amount of fun to be had provided you make friends of course or are happy and easily entertained by yourself - which doesn't apply to everyone.

You're living on your own.
You've got an apartment.
You've got a park pass
You get to spend your time off hanging out at the parks and resorts.

What's not to love!

But - let's be honest.
This is a Competitive Social Environment where scrutiny and gossip prevail.
It can get awkward, challenging and very difficult for many of these young people.
And That's Hard!!!

The pros don't always outweigh the cons here.

It is what you make it. It is Temporary.

So be prepared. Be disciplined. Work hard. Apply yourselves. and Try to have some fun!

Ok so who's ready to sign up?? Good Luck!

Next up: check-in day

Last edited:

The Disney College Program (DCP)

What's not to love!

But - let's be honest.
This is a Competitive Social Environment where scrutiny and gossip prevail.
It can get awkward, challenging and very difficult for many of these young people.
And That's Hard!!!

The pros don’t always outweigh the cons here.

It is what you make it. It is Temporary.

So be prepared. Be disciplined. Work hard. Apply yourselves. and Try to have some fun!

Ok so who’s ready to sign up?? Good Luck!

Congrats to Mark for being a 2-timer on DCP!

My hubby (laid-off mechanical engineer) has been wanting to apply for the program, while he's back to school to upgrade some older skills. Disney's Engineering/ Imagineering jobs are tougher to get than DCP, but since he was 10 it's his dream to work there, so he was hopping at the chance to take even that short-term shot at Living the Dream! Fortunately, a temp contract job came up here that may pan out to full-time permanent, so he passed on the latest shot at applying to DCP. He was kinda dissappointed. :upsidedow

I have been enjoying your TR and loved your honesty in regards to the College Program. It is so competitive (I'm an older college student and have tried twice to get accepted and turned down both times and I have a ton of experience to offer). I love that you don't sugarcoat it but yet show the fun positive side as well. I do notice that the CM's at WDW are much more upbeat and interactive with guests than those at DL. I've visit DL with my annual pass 3 times now and only once do I remember a CM actually interacting with guests or making eye contact. They seem to mull around together chatting with other CM's and it's hard to get their attention whereas at WDW they seem much more interactive.

Congrats to your son for being accepted a second time - hope he has a grand time!

2oz pour $255!!! :scared1:

I had to laugh when you posted this! Must feel pretty good going down at that price.:rotfl2: You'd be surprised at how often it's ordered.

Like I said, Citricos is a class act!

Congrats to Mark for being a 2-timer on DCP!

My hubby (laid-off mechanical engineer) has been wanting to apply for the program, while he's back to school to upgrade some older skills. Disney's Engineering/ Imagineering jobs are tougher to get than DCP, but since he was 10 it's his dream to work there, so he was hopping at the chance to take even that short-term shot at Living the Dream! Fortunately, a temp contract job came up here that may pan out to full-time permanent, so he passed on the latest shot at applying to DCP. He was kinda dissappointed. :upsidedow

I'm sorry to hear you guys are having such a tough time - and in engineering which was supposed to be a safer field in the job market. This is Mark's major as well. I always dreamed of him being an Imagineer someday.

He's got this unique gift of seeing things 3 dimensionally, and retaining imagery in his head. This makes him mechanically inclined with an artistic talent enhanced by the left side of his brain.

I keep thinking he’s destined for big things. He of course is fully drawn into the craftsmanship and merit of being a tattoo artist or computer game designer - but I digress.

I fully understand and respect that dream your husband has - and wish him all the best. I am not surprised to hear how difficult an engineering internship would be to secure at Disney. They must have an incredibly large volume of qualified applicants to wade thru for so few positions.

Your husband is right in thinking that it may help just to get his foot in the door at any level. The good news is, the DCP is something he can consider every 6 mos. as long as he's still at school. But with the two of you being married and living out of state, that does bring a whole other dynamic to the table.

Good luck to you both. Don't give up. I'd probably have lunch with an Imagineer just to get a feel for the process.

I have been enjoying your TR and loved your honesty in regards to the College Program. It is so competitive (I'm an older college student and have tried twice to get accepted and turned down both times and I have a ton of experience to offer). I love that you don't sugarcoat it but yet show the fun positive side as well. I do notice that the CM's at WDW are much more upbeat and interactive with guests than those at DL. I've visit DL with my annual pass 3 times now and only once do I remember a CM actually interacting with guests or making eye contact. They seem to mull around together chatting with other CM's and it's hard to get their attention whereas at WDW they seem much more interactive.

Congrats to your son for being accepted a second time - hope he has a grand time!

Hi heaven2dc,

I'm so glad you're reading along. I can see by your signature, you have a family similar in age to mine, so I hear you about being an older candidate. My son's roommate is 35 which is younger than us, but considered old by a lot of the kids down there. He's from Puerto Rico.

This guy had a heck of a time finding a roommate to match up with before checking in and runs into problems from time to time with being ostracized socially because of his age. I'm glad my son has such a great spirit and doesn't discriminate.. Being a dork has its' merits in life.

I told Mark the worst thing he wanted was a roommate who parties. A lot of them come from college campuses and are accustomed to underage drinking, excessive drinking, hooking up - you name it. They are prime targets for getting in trouble with housing and could get a roommate termed through no fault of their own.

Mark commutes to our local community college campus. he's not part of this click and doesn't fit in most of the time. He's not a big partier and not a "player". I keep telling him, "don't get fired". I am deathly afraid of him becoming one of the 'lost boys' of his generation.

Thanks for sharing your story. Since you've been trying to get hired, and haven't succeeded yet, I want to tell you, don't give up. I'll tell you my son's challenges to give you a better idea of the recruiting process.

Mark did the program successfully in spring 2011. he applied online, practiced his interview with us for a week straight, and was immediately accepted 3 days after his phone interview. he told them he was willing to work anywhere - including QSFB.

He was stationed at the All Star Movies, which has no sizzle and not the happiest of management. It's a value resort and it's a big food court and it's a tough assignment. He worked hard but this was his first "real job" and he made a ton of mistakes of course. He had points on his record as a result - mostly for attendance, But in the end he was commended for the tremendous strides he made in his job improvement when he graduated. His one manager said he was impressed at how far he had come and how well he succeeded with his job being on the line months earlier.

he applied again in spring 2012 and a week later was pended. He lasted through three rounds before being listed as no longer in consideration. I told him it may have something to do with his attendance record or phone interview as he winged it this time and in my opinion was ill-prepared.

he applied again for fall of 2012 and the same thing happened. pended one week after his interview, through three rounds before being listed as no longer in consideration. This time I told him it may have to do with his course schedule since he wasn't technically matriculated or it was his work record or his interview again or all of the above.

Enter 2013. he had just been laid off after the holiday season having worked 6 mos in retail and was having the worst time finding a job. A lot of adults had gotten hired for the season, and of course beat him out when the layoff cycles came. He's got a lot of competition these days for entry level positions against career adults who are unfortunately now forced to applying in his job market arena.

He had been actively pursuing a job working concessions at the Stadiums in Phila. This is not an easy place to tap into! There is a system they use to hire, mainly thru word of mouth. I'm guessing it's to bypass the ridiculous influx of applicants out there who want to work that junket. Mark happened to be lucky enough to have a lead.

He also, and unbeknownst to me applied again for the DCP.

Both were happening at the same time. He filled out paperwork for Aramark and had his phone interview for DCP. This time he worked hard on that interview. But got nervous and panicked and his mind went blank about a 1/2 hr. before the call was scheduled to come in. By the grace of God, I found this remote youtube video from a "hokey" guy who recorded and posted his interview online and I played it for Mark. We joked about the over the top style and how this guy somehow sold it enough to get hired. Mark relaxed immediately and handled his phonecall perfectly.

The very next day following his phone interview, he gets a pended email. I told him, that's it. I don't know the reason this was sent out so quickly, but something is going on. I reminded him he's already completed the program which is a big accomplishment, and really needs to finish school and focus on building his career.

That same week he landed the job to start with Aramark when the Phillies came back from Spring Training. He was thrilled!!!

About a month into working at the stadium, he get's an email from Disney that he's been accepted into the DCP. We couldn't believe it! He loved his job at Citizens Bank Park and now he had to decide if he wanted to go back to FL.

To this day I have no idea how he got accepted. I believe it was his persistence in applying and the phone interviewer who made the recommendation and his willingness to again work QSFB.

JQ told him he wished he had his choices.

I know DL is different than WDW for the CP but I have seen similar attitudes. I can't imagine how it must feel to see CM's disengaged and disinterested in a job you are working so hard at getting.

Honestly, I wonder if Disney doesn't rely heavily on the attrition here, knowing that if they pooled more of the older applicants, there was a high probability these employees would be the most successful in terms of job performance and well deserving of placement within the company for positions they may not have to offer.

But seriously, don't give up. Especially if this is something you really want. I'd keep at it.

And please keep me posted. I wish you all the best.

BTW - What are your thoughts about part-time? We think about it every time we visit.

Christine

Day 6

Memorial Day

May 27, 2013

Iron Man checks in to the College Program

Check-In Day has arrived!

The biggest things that happen on this day are:

You receive your housing assignment
You find out who your roommates are
You receive your housing photo ID
You receive your apartment keys
You receive your work assignment
You receive your training schedule
You receive company materials
You are fingerprinted for an extensive background check

I. Roommate Matching

The CP Roommate Matching used to be done the old fashioned way fill out a request thru the DCP ahead of time, and a potential match was given in return. It was up to those individuals to make contact.

Nothing was official. You both had to get in line together at check in to actually be assigned into the same apt. Housing was filled in successive order at check in - one by one - with each candidate in line.

Now its all done ahead of time thanks to a new system called DORMS

https://disneyprogramsblog.com/dorms/

Simply login to the DORMS site when the window opens up, enter everyones information, and select a first, second and third choice for apartment size and apartment complex. Everything is conveniently set up and pre-assigned at check-in.

OR use the DORMS system to put in your preferences and request a roommate be randomly assigned.

OR ignore the DORMS system completely and be put in a special line at check-in to be assigned whomever and whatever is available usually someone else in line who hasnt managed to do any advance prep either.

The trend is to link up with colleagues, friends and family also accepted to the program in advance and join social networking groups ahead of time, to try and connect with individuals who have the same start date. (you must be assigned the same check in day to room together)

But finding a roommate is not that simple and can be stressful - especially if you dont know anyone. The social network for this runs similar to online dating. They friend request, private message, and look at FB profiles to size one another up. They also exchange roommate surveys, and call and text back and forth to try to determine compatibility. If everything looks good at this point, they might tentatively commit to room together. (provided a better offer doesnt come along, of course)

Its not that easy to distinguish fact from fiction, especially given all the showcasing going on. So good luck!

Iron Man joined a FB group for Fall Advantage Students and began networking from there. After a few hits and misses, he settled with 3 other guys to live with and they put in a request for a 2 bdrm. apt at Chatham Square.

In my opinion, a 2 bedroom is a simple set up with fewer individuals to bring about problems. It works pretty well.

II. Housing

Heres a brief overview of housing to give you an idea of where the College Program Candidates live since Check In Day and Move In Day are all happening on Day 1.

There are 4 apartment complexes to live at:
(3 are right next to one another)

There are pros and cons to each, so try to research as much as possible ahead of time.

Vista Way - located all by itself on the other side of S.R. 535.
This is where all candidates must report to check in their first day.

The Commons - Smallest Complex
Patterson Court - Newest Complex w/ no bus stop of its' own. Must use the one at Chatham Square.
Chatham Square - Iron Man's Pick

The Commons/Patterson Court and Chatham Square are located on the opposite side of S.R. 535 all clustered together near the Premium Outlet Mall as shown in the Map below.

There is also this hidden gem called:

Mickeys Retreat at Little Lake Bryan exclusive to Disney CMs and their families. This is a 19-acre recreation facility that offers swimming, a childrens play area, picnic pavilions, an all-purpose sports field and volleyball, tennis and basketball courts.

Here is a great map to give you an idea of location. I have added a red dot to show where Patterson Court residents must catch the bus at Chatham Square since they do not have their own stop.

"The Outlet Mall" you see marked are the "Premium Outlets" where one of the Disney Outlet Stores is located.

III. CHECKING IN May 27, 2013

At 1.11 AM that morning, Iron Man received an emergency wakeup call from his soon to be roommate Carlos who had flown in from Puerto Rico several hours earlier.

He needed Marks help. Somehow, his prepaid booking at a nearby hotel was for the wrong date and they would not give him a room or a refund. This was his first trip to the states and obviously his first trip to Disney World. His English was out of practice but rapidly improving.

Mark invited him to crash with us for a few hours at the Pop. He could get cleaned up and theyd drive to check-in together. Carlos managed a ride to the Pop and we notified the front desk that he was arriving so the guard would let him through. Mark met him at the lobby and walked him back with his things.

Carlos had been through quite an ordeal getting here and we welcomed him with whatever we had food, drinks, hot shower, fresh soap, shampoo and towels, and half a bed with a clean pillow and his own blanket.

It worked out great

Heres the two of them ready to go in the morning. This was Iron Mans pickup loaded down with all their stuff - the TV & stand plus everything emptied from the back seat. We added a few bags ourselves as we were switching over to Saratoga Springs that morning and didnt want to make two trips.

Glad we had that truck!

Its 7:30 am. and we are headed here:

Vista Way

- Where ALL DCP candidates must report to check-in for the program
- Houses the main DCP administrative buildings including career development
- Has sample apts. to tour.
- Hosts a mini friends and family reception area.
- Oldest / Cheapest / Smaller living space.
- Easy walking distance to several convenience stores and food establishments.
- has been labeled in the past with a party reputation

So where exactly is Vista Way?

Its off interstate S.R. 535. Take Hotel Plaza Blvd passing Downtown Disney on your left until it dead ends and make a right onto -

S.R. 535

This is a three lane highway and the main access route between the CP housing and Downtown Disney.

Stay to the right on 535 to go to Vista Way - stay to the left to go to the other Apartments. Proceed under the I-4 overpass in both cases and you will immediately approach the Vineland Ave traffic light, as seen in the near distance up ahead in the second photo.

The Vineland Ave intersection becomes 4 lanes to provide a far left turning lane for the nearby outlets, etc. Turn left here to get to the other 3 apt. complexes The Commons, Patterson Court and Chatham Square.

Do Not turn here for Vista Way!!

To get to Vista Way, continue straight on S.R. 535 and remain in the right lane. Look for a Chevron and Walgreens and turn Right onto Meadow Creek Drive.

Follow Meadow Creek Drive and the entrance to Vista Way will appear on your right.

We arrived at 7:50 am and parked in the lot across the street. You can pull up to the guard booth if you wish, and they will let you thru to park in the complex, but we elected to avoid any and all congestion.

And there they go! We wouldn't see them again for at least 4 hrs.

We parked and ventured on property for a bit. This was our second time here, so we knew the drill and did not plan to hang around too long. You are free to walk the grounds, stop by the offices and tour the sample apts. There is an outdoor hospitality area set up for friends and family as well.

The CP participants Check-In by themselves at the Vista Way Pavilion (no guests). From there, they are bussed in groups to casting and wherever they need to go mainly to their apt complex.

Way down by that blue canopy is where the candidates get in line. (Iron Man and Carlos are in there somewhere!)

Personally, I would not try to drive right up to the Pavilion looking to park.
The spots are usually full and cars tend to back up traffic in and out. What a mess!

Most parents and guests head to the Friends and Family Reception set up with these colorful umbrella tables as a courtesy for everyone. They provide a few refreshments.

But that's all it is - a gesture to accommodate us. You will quickly learn you are no longer needed. The CP candidate is on their own.

Notice how nice the apartment complex is!

A few complimentary refreshments at 8:40 in the morning!
Cookies, brownies, lemonade, coffee, tea and water.

I would not recommend sitting here for several hrs. - no matter how tempted you might be to wait.

Once you arrive at Vista Way, theres no instruction given on what to do next. So the CP candidate checks-in and friends and family tend to wait around at Vista Way afraid to leave since they plan to help move in to the apts.

This is a common mistake.

You will not see the CP candidate for several Hours!

They are busy completing paperwork and moving along in the process. They are bussed in groups from Vista Way to casting and from there they are bussed to their apartments.

So go ahead and take off! You can safely leave! Eventually, you will meet up at the apartment. Friends and family are allowed to drive directly into the apt complexes on their own. Security will grant full access to the properties with a complimentary day pass without needing the CP resident to sign you in. (they wont let you in the apt. though)

We timed it to drive to the apts. once we knew Mark was on the bus being dropped off since he had the key to open the door.

Next up: Part II

Last edited:
Thanks for all these detailed posts - very interesting and informative!

And thanks for posting that ma p- we usually make a trip to the Catholic church marked on the map and never realized how close we were to the DCP housing

Thank you, Christine for all of your insight on your son's journey! It sounds so familiar to me - feeling I did really well with the interview on both times I applied, got pended and then the last week got the dreaded "no longer in consideration". I knew I was way older than other CP candidates but the first time I applied the recruiter was so positive and even told me she would recommend placing me in a studio hopefully by myself so I wouldn't have a roommate that would more than likely be way younger than myself. I got so close also to thinking I was being accepted last year for 2 different Professional Internships (I was in interview stage up until the last day but got turned down around 5 pm that last day). I've just applied for 3 PI's which I am fully qualified for but they immediately went into "in submission" stage (not even "in progress") so this time is my last opportunity. I have thought of part time but really need full time wages unfortunately. I definitely won't give up!! I loved that you shared your son's journey and am excited for him to get accepted again and hope he enjoys it much more this time around!

Thanks for all these detailed posts - very interesting and informative!

And thanks for posting that ma p- we usually make a trip to the Catholic church marked on the map and never realized how close we were to the DCP housing

Thanks. Really glad to have you guys reading along. I've only known about the DCP for about 5 years and found it to be so fascinating. They do an amazing job with this whole process.

We've never been to the Catholic Church but have passed that Little Lake Bryan Road en route to the outlets many times not realizing the housing was so close either. It's a huge complex but very well placed. If you look around, you might see groups walking nearby from the program, since so many don't have vehicles and tend to be on foot.

Thank you, Christine for all of your insight on your son's journey! It sounds so familiar to me - feeling I did really well with the interview on both times I applied, got pended and then the last week got the dreaded "no longer in consideration". I knew I was way older than other CP candidates but the first time I applied the recruiter was so positive and even told me she would recommend placing me in a studio hopefully by myself so I wouldn't have a roommate that would more than likely be way younger than myself. I got so close also to thinking I was being accepted last year for 2 different Professional Internships (I was in interview stage up until the last day but got turned down around 5 pm that last day). I've just applied for 3 PI's which I am fully qualified for but they immediately went into "in submission" stage (not even "in progress") so this time is my last opportunity. I have thought of part time but really need full time wages unfortunately. I definitely won't give up!! I loved that you shared your son's journey and am excited for him to get accepted again and hope he enjoys it much more this time around!

yes, the NLIC is a sad day! I didn't understand the whole "pended" thing and was convinced it meant "no" but apparently it means something else since Mark was accepted pretty quickly this last time around.

I really hope you get one of the PI's. They must be so competitive. Hopefully being immediately placed 'in submission' is a good sign. I'll be pulling for you and wish you all the best! I'm so glad you're trying again. I would too. Good Luck with your interviews!

My poor trip report has been neglected!
too much planning for the big Sept 27 - Oct 9 land, sea and tree!

that trip is a MONSTER!!

3 generations both JQ and My family
plus friends = 13 total off and on.

2 nts - OKW 2bdrm precruise -
lunch Food and Wine both days
dinner Le Cellier and the Turf Club

4 nt - DVC Member Cruise double dip on the Disney Dream. (no idea what to expect)

1 nt post cruise - Hard Rock Hotel club level in 3 king Club suite.
visit Universal Studios and IoA

5 nts - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Close to two years of planning finally comes to an end and it was crazy with this entourage.

But I do have the next installment almost ready to go.

I am hoping to get a few unique updates in before we leave such as Dinner at Monsieur Paul and our tour of the Grand Floridian Villas.

My poor trip report has been neglected!
too much planning for the big Sept 27 - Oct 9 land, sea and tree!

that trip is a MONSTER!!

4 nt - DVC Member Cruise double dip on the Disney Dream. (no idea what to expect)

The Dream is just dreamy! :goodvibes But a double dip makes it doubly fabulous! Have a great trip!!

Cindy

I just read through your entire report tonight. Thank you so much. I love the detail you provide. Traveling from NYS, I always have wondered about the auto train. You have given the best advertisement and review I will ever see. I don't think I can handle the small quarters since I am somewhat claustrophobic. I am envious of your 24 hour day. Your "24" quests were a fabulous idea. Thank you for sharing your Star Wars adventures and the start of your son's DCP. I'm excited to read the rest of this report when you have a chance to finish it and hopefully you will do a report on the trip you will be on later this week! Enjoy your family time!

Where will Mark be working after the Member Cruise?

Jan

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter