• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Avengers attractions planned?

They have specific parcels "zoned" for specific purposes. But they can swap those purposes provided they stay within the state zoning parameters set out by the original deal (and updated as time has gone on). They have to go through the formal process...but I've never heard of them being denied.

They did it with some of the road "rerouting" they did a few years back, for example.

i think its much more simplistic than that...

Reedy Creek does its own zoning and only requires justification to the state...not permission...just submission with reason. basically automatic "approval".

so all construction options are available...guaranteed by the florida legislature in 1966...if memory serves

i think they are probably no more than 25% constructed...there is actually a ton of land that can still be developed...and disney would not hesitate one bit to relocate anything if it was in their economic interests...

but i have to laugh at any comments that seem to say "there's just no room to expand at park X"

that's laughable...there is room for anything if it would make money...especially at animal kingdom and mgm....

cast parking? we can't lose cast parking?

come on people....that means nothing. that whole parking lot at MGM would be gone in an orlando minute if they would make money off the result.

but their numbers tell them they won't...which is why hardly anything has been done to that park over the years.

my bad...there is is star tours 2 :sad2:

ok... Fair enough.

There is no way they can EASILY and CHEAPLY expand any of the current park footprints. Due to the way the property has been developed thus far, any expansions of the parks would require a pretty hefty investment to relocate existing infrastructure in order to make room for park expansion building. This would result in a much larger expenditure which would not directly tie into any revenue stream. (unlike park expansion which you could make a case for new revenue thru additional shops, food, and potential ticket sale increases... you aren't going to make any money from the new maintenance workshop and costume warehouse you built).

In ther era of beancounters, It just ain't gonna happen.

After I saw the Avengers for the first time I thought a ride based on the movie would be the perfect potter-killer at Disney's Hollywood Studios. I think it should be built over the area were the backlot ride currently is, and it should have a Shawarma resturant near by.

Maybe Disney could get around the contract if they only use characters from the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and Unversal has to remove any images or mentions of them at IoA, but that means the Hulk coasters would get rethemed.

Maybe Disney could get around the contract if they only use characters from the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and Unversal has to remove any images or mentions of them at IoA, but that means the Hulk coasters would get rethemed.

Unfortunately it does not appear that the contract makes any distinction in different media versions of the characters, and I'm not sure if Disney tried to pull out the "Marvel Multiverse" as a legal theory would fly...

"No, that's not the Wolverine that Universal uses...that's the Earth-616 Wolverine...this is the Earth-626 Wolverine. See, the trim on his suit is red, not blue..."

Unfortunately it does not appear that the contract makes any distinction in different media versions of the characters, and I'm not sure if Disney tried to pull out the "Marvel Multiverse" as a legal theory would fly...

"No, that's not the Wolverine that Universal uses...that's the Earth-616 Wolverine...this is the Earth-626 Wolverine. See, the trim on his suit is red, not blue..."

Well, I could see even if they tried pulling the Multiverse card, Universal could quite easy come back with the "and character families" clause out of their contract. It would be very hard to say that one Wolverine isn't related to another wolverine.

i think its much more simplistic than that...

Reedy Creek does its own zoning and only requires justification to the state...not permission...just submission with reason. basically automatic "approval".

so all construction options are available...guaranteed by the florida legislature in 1966...if memory serves

Most of that I knew...but I also know there is SOME sort of "approval process" (even if it's just a rubber stamp...which is what the original deal seems to make it..basically just making sure the changes abide by the original deal) because I've seen (on the government web site) the paperwork.

I'm pretty sure (as I insinuated and you said) that the state can't deny them, so long as Disney isn't violating the 1966 agreement.

ok... Fair enough.

There is no way they can EASILY and CHEAPLY expand any of the current park footprints. Due to the way the property has been developed thus far, any expansions of the parks would require a pretty hefty investment to relocate existing infrastructure in order to make room for park expansion building. This would result in a much larger expenditure which would not directly tie into any revenue stream. (unlike park expansion which you could make a case for new revenue thru additional shops, food, and potential ticket sale increases... you aren't going to make any money from the new maintenance workshop and costume warehouse you built).

In ther era of beancounters, It just ain't gonna happen.

I think that was the implication of the original point, actually.

Obviously, given enough money...they COULD do anything.

But realistically, they won't....so you look at the realistic options and possibilities.

Well, I could see even if they tried pulling the Multiverse card, Universal could quite easy come back with the "and character families" clause out of their contract. It would be very hard to say that one Wolverine isn't related to another wolverine.

I demand a DNA test!!

This came from an interview with Tom Staggs yesterday. As we know, they want to bring Avengers to the NON Orlando parks:
ANAHEIM, CALIFORNIA (Reuters) - Walt Disney Co's design team has increased its efforts to bring the Marvel superhero team "The Avengers" to the company's theme parks after the film's smashing success, the head of Disney's parks unit said on Thursday.

Speaking as Disney unveiled the final attractions of a $1 billion investment to boost its laggard Disney California Adventure park, Tom Staggs said he intends to bring "The Avengers" characters to the Anaheim resort and other parks outside the United States.

"We were hard at work on attractions using Marvel characters previously, and that work has only intensified given (the film's) great success," Staggs, chairman of Disney's parks and resorts division, told Reuters in an interview at the park's Golden Vine Winery.

"The Avengers" has sold more than $1.3 billion worth of tickets around the world. Executives and Disney's designers, called "imagineers," are still working out how to bring characters like The Hulk, Iron Man and Captain America to the parks. "The setting has to be right, the story has to be right. That takes a fair amount of time," Staggs said.

Disney is contractually restricted from bringing Marvel characters to its parks in Orlando, where they are licensed to Comcast Corp's Universal Studios.
Full Story:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/sns-rt-us-disney-parksbre85e01h-20120614,0,4586383.story

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter