Back to 180

On the flip side, people who are getting free dining are paying RACK RATE at the resort. Should they be entitled to some resort perk over a DVC member or someone with a room discount?

I realize that free dining makes reservations more difficult, but the reality is that many people are at the World on some kind of discount. There are probably some who got a room discount that added the dining plan because they saved so much with their % off. They aren't eating "free", but they add to the number of people desiring reservations just the same. Why do only the "free" diners deserve the blame?

On the flip side, people who are getting free dining are paying RACK RATE at the resort. Should they be entitled to some resort perk over a DVC member or someone with a room discount?

I realize that free dining makes reservations more difficult, but the reality is that many people are at the World on some kind of discount. There are probably some who got a room discount that added the dining plan because they saved so much with their % off. They aren't eating "free", but they add to the number of people desiring reservations just the same. Why do only the "free" diners deserve the blame?

I don't think anyone deserves any sort of blame for anything...not people staying on free dining, not people with a resort discount, not DVC members, not people who go in the off-season and have an easier time getting ADRs. No one is at fault here.

Disney keeps changing things up to get more people to go to WDW, to fill up the resorts, to fill up their restaurants.

I think the original point of this thread was not to blame people at WDW on any sort of discount, but to express opinions about 180-day ADRs possibly coming back WITHOUT blaming any of the consumers.

No matter how many times Disney changes things, no matter what those changes are, they will never accomplish pleasing every single person out there.

I agree completely! No one should be blaming anyone, belittling anyone, or complaining about any one particular travel group. A DVC member is no better than someone traveling to WDW for the first time.

I just wish Disney would make up it's mind! They just changed to the 90 day policy for goodness sake! I don't care either way, but I do think that you should be required to guarantee your reservations. There shouldn't be any problem if you are planning on going on vacation and eating at that TS. I think people will be more careful about how many TSs they book and not be frivolous about ADRs. If you can cancel them without penalty somewhat prior to your trip, then no problem!

I don't think anyone deserves any sort of blame for anything...not people staying on free dining, not people with a resort discount, not DVC members, not people who go in the off-season and have an easier time getting ADRs. No one is at fault here.

Disney keeps changing things up to get more people to go to WDW, to fill up the resorts, to fill up their restaurants.

I think the original point of this thread was not to blame people at WDW on any sort of discount, but to express opinions about 180-day ADRs possibly coming back WITHOUT blaming any of the consumers.

No matter how many times Disney changes things, no matter what those changes are, they will never accomplish pleasing every single person out there.

I completely agree with you. I pointed out what I did because I have seen so many threads directing frustration/anger towards "free" diners. I think we should all choose what works for us, whether that be DVC, "free" dining, room discounts, etc... and be pleased that we are able to go to such a wonderful place using a promotion or system that works for us. A "free" diner in a value or moderate hotel will miss out on the deluxe amenities enjoyed by a DVCer, a DVCer may have to be more flexible with their dining reservations because of "free" diners. I just wish everyone would choose what works for them without being frustrated because others' discounts might interfere with them having everything they want.

what I would like to see is that if you have an ADR for more then one time and place a single day breakfast for example at Chef Mickeys for 830 am you cannot hold another ADR for Kona Cafe for 915 or any other TS place until after like 1130 when places start opening for lunch and then the same for dinner that way you do not double and triple book so people cannot get into places that I think is the major killer of being able to find a place to eat

i like the idea of having a CC# to make ressies but what about those on the dining plan free dining or not I like being on the dining plan because then i dont have to worry about saving that much more to go to the world i have already paid for all my meals before I even head down i always go down very budget conscience

Jill

Those using the free dining discount shouldn't be treated any differently than those using other, potentially better discounts. However, a return to 180 days would effect both equally; ADRs would have to be booked before discount codes are released, which would favor DVCers and guests booking rack rate trips (and DISers who can predict future discounts pretty accurately :rolleyes1)

I agree completely! No one should be blaming anyone, belittling anyone, or complaining about any one particular travel group. A DVC member is no better than someone traveling to WDW for the first time.

I agree with this completely and I am a DVC member! I do not consider myself any better or any worse than any other guest at WDW. I simply bought a DVC membership because it suits my family's travel needs, and I understand that many people do not buy one because it does not suit their travel needs. Everyone should just do what is right for them. I do, however, agree with the people staying on Disney property having the advantage to book up to 10 days of ADRs after check-in when their window date come up.

I think the restaurants are too booked in advance to enjoy Disney as it once was years ago. I'm not against Disney getting the restaurants full, I just don't like that they give away free dining and force the restaurants to be full so far in advance. Also people feel like they have to pick the most pricey items on the menu.

If Disney wants to think of profit more and less about keeping the rooms and restaurants full, perhaps they should offer DINING DISCOUNT SPECIALS, like Tables in Wonderland for free during a resort stay.

Also maybe offer counter service at a similar discount, so that the Table service isn't automatically over booked.

People would participate in the cost of the dining selections and not just insist on the most expensive restaurants, or the most expensive meals.

Okay, you can yell at me now.

But I really miss being able to get a few decent reservations without making my Walt Disney trip a complete hour by hour plan 3 or 6 months in advance.

Even if your a great planner now, you can't get all those favorite choices always.

I think Disney might make a little more profit, with a few less rooms sold, but not giving away totally free dining and making the reservation system so crazy.

I think the restaurants are too booked in advance to enjoy Disney as it once was years ago. I'm not against Disney getting the restaurants full, I just don't like that they give away free dining and force the restaurants to be full so far in advance. Also people feel like they have to pick the most pricey items on the menu.

If Disney wants to think of profit more and less about keeping the rooms and restaurants full, perhaps they should offer DINING DISCOUNT SPECIALS, like Tables in Wonderland for free during a resort stay.

Also maybe offer counter service at a similar discount, so that the Table service isn't automatically over booked.

People would participate in the cost of the dining selections and not just insist on the most expensive restaurants, or the most expensive meals.

But I really miss being able to get a few decent reservations without making my Walt Disney trip a complete hour by hour plan 3 or 6 months in advance.

Even if your a great planner now, you can't get all those favorite choices always.

I think Disney might make a little more profit, with a few less rooms sold, but not giving away totally free dining and making the reservation system so crazy.
I like your thinking.....it would be much better than the offering of a free dining PLAN that completely messes with the system.

Now that sounds like a good idea, just waive the fee for the Tables in Wonderland card, and have it available during a certain time period (like when free dining is currently available) without having to be a FL resident or have an annual pass. Just have it available during that time period for anyone staying at a Disney resort and paying rack rate, same as you have to pay rack rate right now in order to take advantage of free dining.

You're right, most people that are on the dining plan, free or paid for, are looking to get the most expensive meal in the most expensive place. That's why it is so hard to get into places like Le Cellier, where people can get filet mignon for one table service credit. Personally, my husband and I like the dining plan, but before making the decision to purchase it, we look at where we would like to eat and what it costs for the lowest priced items on each menu, add it all up and then see how much that costs compared to the dining plan, not even factoring in the snack credits. At this point it works for us but who knows in the future. My point is, I don't look to get the most expensive thing on the menu at all times, just something that I would like to eat. It is unrealistic that our family will go to WDW for 10 nights and DH and I will order NY Strip steak every single night! ;)

OK, now that I went off on a tangent about the dining plan...I am still waiting to see if Disney brings back the 180-day ADRs. I like them. For some reason, having the chance to make my ADRs in January instead of in April makes the trip seem that much closer. :)

Another result of these "free" dining programs is the dumbing down and/or posting far less choices on the menus.

Very true, the selection at the restaurants has definitely gone downhill. It used to be that you could enjoy a very elegant unique dinner at some of the DIS the restaurants. Now because of free dining and people always choosing the most expensive items the menus have become much more mundane. Maybe the free dining plan should actually be a plan where you get so many dollars allocated for a meal. The amount would cover some of the cheaper menu choices and your nonalcoholic drink but if you wanted the expensive items or something special you would have to pay an additional charge. This can quite possibly solve many of the problems with the present system without really hurting people who don't want to spend any more money. It would also allow some of the more unique (and expensive) menu items to return for those who didn't mind paying for them.

Everyone made I'll start throwing darts at me for this opinion!

Very true, the selection at the restaurants has definitely gone downhill. It used to be that you could enjoy a very elegant unique dinner at some of the DIS the restaurants. Now because of free dining and people always choosing the most expensive items the menus have become much more mundane. Maybe the free dining plan should actually be a plan where you get so many dollars allocated for a meal. The amount would cover some of the cheaper menu choices and your nonalcoholic drink but if you wanted the expensive items or something special you would have to pay an additional charge. This can quite possibly solve many of the problems with the present system without really hurting people who don't want to spend any more money. It would also allow some of the more unique (and expensive) menu items to return for those who didn't mind paying for them.

Everyone made I'll start throwing darts at me for this opinion!

These conversations always focus in on free dining, when the "free" part has nothing to do with anything. Free dining is a resort promotion, plain and simple, and it comes with a price - paying rack rate. The 40% off PINs I've received and the 4/3 deal are both better overall savings than free dining for my family, because we prefer deluxe resorts.

The real issue regarding the dining plan and menus, if there is one, is its popularity regardless of how it is paid for. Elegant and unique simply don't go hand-in-hand with serving thousands of people a day. A well prepared and creatively presented meal takes time, time that most people don't want to take away from their theme park experience.

But I don't think that's the root cause of the "simplified" menus either. Quite frankly, there is a substantial number of theme park guests to whom elegant and unique translates to stuffy and weird, and I suspect that the dining plan came about because Disney realized that's a larger segment of guests than the demographic willing to pay premium prices for an upscale dining experience. Disney has gone the route of appealing to the masses, and I believe that the dining plan was a part of that strategy, not the cause of it.

These conversations always focus in on free dining, when the "free" part has nothing to do with anything. Free dining is a resort promotion, plain and simple, and it comes with a price - paying rack rate. The 40% off PINs I've received and the 4/3 deal are both better overall savings than free dining for my family, because we prefer deluxe resorts.

The real issue regarding the dining plan and menus, if there is one, is its popularity regardless of how it is paid for. Elegant and unique simply don't go hand-in-hand with serving thousands of people a day. A well prepared and creatively presented meal takes time, time that most people don't want to take away from their theme park experience.

But I don't think that's the root cause of the "simplified" menus either. Quite frankly, there is a substantial number of theme park guests to whom elegant and unique translates to stuffy and weird, and I suspect that the dining plan came about because Disney realized that's a larger segment of guests than the demographic willing to pay premium prices for an upscale dining experience. Disney has gone the route of appealing to the masses, and I believe that the dining plan was a part of that strategy, not the cause of it.

I agree with you 100%, and it is not only Disney that is doing things like this to appeal to the masses. Cruise ships have done the same thing through the years. I have been on 13 cruises since 1990 and things have changed drastically as far as dining goes. There once was a day where there were no specialty restaurants on a ship for a surcharge, there was no buffet option on deck for dinner, and formal nights were just that...formal for everyone. I miss those days. I did not see the big deal in dressing up for dinner a couple of times, not wearing shorts to dinner, etc. But that did not cater to the masses. Much of the general American population would rather eat things like burgers and fries and buffet food on their vacation than fancy food, they don't care to dress up for dinner, and they don't want to have to have a reservation for dinner or a set time to go to dinner. Many people would rather be spontaneous and are not huge planners like I am.

So, Disney is just doing what they need to do for their bottom line...catering to the masses. I am just grateful that they have so many CS choices that are NOT burgers and fries! Last summer I only had one burger on our 5-night trip and that was completely by choice because I was in the mood for one! Otherwise it was always something else, and we had plenty of variety!

Whew....now maybe we will have a chance to eat at the restaurants we love. We called 83 days out for September and only got one of four of our choices. We have trips planned for November and December so this is very welcome for our family since we have no problem choosing where to eat when we book our stay.

Since we are DVC owners the special room rates and free dining never apply.

Bill and Faith

The 180+ is true!!!!!!!! It was released to cast today!!!

Glad to hear this...now I hope they begin releasing park hours 6 months in advance again too. That will help a lot. If not, those of us who are huge planners will be making our ADRs in the blind.

As a TA, I am thrilled with the 180!!! It will make a real difference for a lot of my clients who book 8 months in advance (me included). I have no problem with the credit card guarantee, as long as you have a decent cancellation policy on it. Perhaps this will stop people from making dual reservations. I always cancel my ADRs, no matter how close to the time we are. I always hope someone will be able to take advantage of my slot. Perhaps a walk up at that moment. :thumbsup2 . Perhaps it will make people a little less stressed with more time to think about their plans - have a little more fun with their planning vs stress:goodvibes

I am confused 90? - 180?. I personally do not mind the time frame or having to use a CC guarantee :teacher: But I am going to check w/ my AAA agent for clarification. She is really awesome and very knowledgeable about Disney (she is a closet obsessed Disney fan) She has logged more than 30 trips not including the 6 years at AAA. So, if it hasn't been "officially" announced or just a rumor :hyper2: or will be announced any day now - She will find out for me!:magnify:

I am confused 90? - 180?. I personally do not mind the time frame or having to use a CC guarantee :teacher: But I am going to check w/ my AAA agent for clarification. She is really awesome and very knowledgeable about Disney (she is a closet obsessed Disney fan) She has logged more than 30 trips not including the 6 years at AAA. So, if it hasn't been "officially" announced or just a rumor :hyper2: or will be announced any day now - She will find out for me!:magnify:

I am not sure what kind of "official" announcement you are looking for but I am a dine agent with Disney and is was "announced" to us today.

Park hours will be 180 now too!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter