Back to 180

If IMACM says it's going back to 180 days, it is. They were spot-on about the online ADRs going live when they did. I have no doubt they are correct about this policy change as well.

People think this is some drastic change. All Disney is doing is returning to the way things were prior to the installation of the new reservation system.

The only issue I have is with them releasing park hours also at 180 days. I always thought they should come out at 210 days, one month ahead of ADRs. Sure, six months are better than three, but a little headway would be nice so as to finalize itineraries and schedules.

I agree with you 100%, and it is not only Disney that is doing things like this to appeal to the masses. Cruise ships have done the same thing through the years. I have been on 13 cruises since 1990 and things have changed drastically as far as dining goes. There once was a day where there were no specialty restaurants on a ship for a surcharge, there was no buffet option on deck for dinner, and formal nights were just that...formal for everyone. I miss those days. I did not see the big deal in dressing up for dinner a couple of times, not wearing shorts to dinner, etc. But that did not cater to the masses. Much of the general American population would rather eat things like burgers and fries and buffet food on their vacation than fancy food, they don't care to dress up for dinner, and they don't want to have to have a reservation for dinner or a set time to go to dinner. Many people would rather be spontaneous and are not huge planners like I am.

So, Disney is just doing what they need to do for their bottom line...catering to the masses. I am just grateful that they have so many CS choices that are NOT burgers and fries! Last summer I only had one burger on our 5-night trip and that was completely by choice because I was in the mood for one! Otherwise it was always something else, and we had plenty of variety!
You are definitely right, Disney is basically dumbing down the menu to cater to the masses. They use to really care about culinary excellence in many of their restaurants, to they that only exists in a select few and that number keeps getting smaller. Pretty soon it will matter where you eat because every restaurant will have the same menu! At least then it will be such a battle to get into a specific restaurant because it won't matter.

I find your statement about the cruise ship menus interesting because we've noticed the same thing. What they now consider their high-end restaurant in charge extra for is what used to be the the norm on cruise ships. While the food is still quite good on some ships it certainly not served as exquisitely and the presentations are nowhere near as formal.

About the only place that I know of that has gone the other way is Las Vegas. They used to be dominated by cheap buffets everywhere but now the trend is towards more high-end restaurants. Not saying the cheap buffets don't exist but they're no longer the signature restaurants like they used to be. Maybe that's why we seem to like going there more than we used to.

Rumor is that at the time of the change, all dining reservations will require a credit card guarantee.

HOPE NOT !!

I hope they do... I'm sick of the cretins who double and triple book... especially the ones who don't cancel... Ruins it for everyone.

I still think that free dining causes the restaurants to be booked faster than when free dining is not offered.

Here is my experience. We usually do not opt for the food plan because we only plan 2 sit down meals (sometimes 3) during our 7 day vacation. Since the sit down meals are usually a character breakfast, lunch at Whispering Canyon, or something along those lines...the price is a bit cheaper and the meal plan is not really worth it to us.

Fast forward to our trip in October. I'm now a new DVC owner...but, I don't have enough points to stay an entire week in a 2BR with my extended family. We've decided to stay 4 nights in a moderate, and 4 nights using my DVC points.

We were planning 2 sit down meals...Boma and Ohana. I was waiting for the AP discount when low and behold...I had a free dining pin. I was able to use it to book all 3 of our moderate rooms and get free dining for my entire family.

Well...that changed everything...we went from 2 sit down meals...to 4 sit down meals. So, I now added Chefs De France and Le Cellier to our list since cost is not a factor.

I would think that if I wasn't a DVC member and I had the free dining pin, I would be eating 7 sit down meals instead of our normal (2-3) per trip.

I think that is what changes for most people. People with a discounted room rate or possibly a 7 for 4 type of deal, may still opt out of the dining plan and only eat 2 or 3 sit down meals to save some money. They may venture offsite or to Downtown Disney or possibly eat more in the food court. If they are offered free dining instead of a room discount, they immediately go from planning 2 or 3 sit down meals to planning 7...and that helps to fill up the restaurants.

Of course...this is just my opinion. I have no scientific evidence...but, it is the way we feel about our annual vacations to Disney. With my kids being younger, I'm not really there to sit down for a dining experience more than a couple of times during our stay...but, if you give it to me for free...I'll take advantage and sit down 7 nights at the best restaurants I can.

Speed :teleport:

Another result of these "free" dining programs is the dumbing down and/or posting far less choices on the menus.

Nah... That started happening long before the free dining plan... unless you are counting the old voucher system? I'd actually say it started in 2002 or so... Sometime in that post 9-11 environment when people didn't want to fly.

I am not sure what kind of "official" announcement you are looking for but I am a dine agent with Disney and is was "announced" to us today.

Park hours will be 180 now too!!!

Thank you for posting this! This makes me very happy, that park hours will also be released. I am very excited to be able to make ADRs for our July 2010 trip this coming January, instead of April!

The 180+ is true!!!!!!!! It was released to cast today!!!

Very much appreciate your posts. :goodvibes

And...ummm...an aside. I've had a bit of fun backreading this thread. :laughing: OP (and OP's "Utah" source) was right, after all. ;)

I still think that free dining causes the restaurants to be booked faster than when free dining is not offered.

Here is my experience. We usually do not opt for the food plan because we only plan 2 sit down meals (sometimes 3) during our 7 day vacation. Since the sit down meals are usually a character breakfast, lunch at Whispering Canyon, or something along those lines...the price is a bit cheaper and the meal plan is not really worth it to us.

Fast forward to our trip in October. I'm now a new DVC owner...but, I don't have enough points to stay an entire week in a 2BR with my extended family. We've decided to stay 4 nights in a moderate, and 4 nights using my DVC points.

We were planning 2 sit down meals...Boma and Ohana. I was waiting for the AP discount when low and behold...I had a free dining pin. I was able to use it to book all 3 of our moderate rooms and get free dining for my entire family.

Well...that changed everything...we went from 2 sit down meals...to 4 sit down meals. So, I now added Chefs De France and Le Cellier to our list since cost is not a factor.

I would think that if I wasn't a DVC member and I had the free dining pin, I would be eating 7 sit down meals instead of our normal (2-3) per trip.

I think that is what changes for most people. People with a discounted room rate or possibly a 7 for 4 type of deal, may still opt out of the dining plan and only eat 2 or 3 sit down meals to save some money. They may venture offsite or to Downtown Disney or possibly eat more in the food court. If they are offered free dining instead of a room discount, they immediately go from planning 2 or 3 sit down meals to planning 7...and that helps to fill up the restaurants.

Of course...this is just my opinion. I have no scientific evidence...but, it is the way we feel about our annual vacations to Disney. With my kids being younger, I'm not really there to sit down for a dining experience more than a couple of times during our stay...but, if you give it to me for free...I'll take advantage and sit down 7 nights at the best restaurants I can.

Speed :teleport:

There is no doubt that free dining does increase the numbers of people in the restaurants. However, free dining isn't really free because those who choose the free dining discount pay full price for their room. For someone to complain about free diners when they have chosen a different discount isn't a fair complaint. Many complaints have been made about how the free diners shouldn't get to make their reservations at the same time as those who pay full price. In reality, those complaining have often gotten a different discount. They aren't paying full price for something, but I don't often hear them offering to give up a nicer room or amenities because they are getting a cheaper price for their room.

There is no doubt that free dining does increase the numbers of people in the restaurants. However, free dining isn't really free because those who choose the free dining discount pay full price for their room. For someone to complain about free diners when they have chosen a different discount isn't a fair complaint. Many complaints have been made about how the free diners shouldn't get to make their reservations at the same time as those who pay full price. In reality, those complaining have often gotten a different discount. They aren't paying full price for something, but I don't often hear them offering to give up a nicer room or amenities because they are getting a cheaper price for their room.

You have a realistic view of what free dining truly is...paying rack rate for your room and full price for your tickets then not having to pay for the DDP. But in reality, most people do not view it this way. Most people out there who vacation at Disney are not aware of what a pin code or any other code or rate special is, unless it is something that is advertised, such as the free dining promotion. This is how Disney attracts these types of people...the people who have never done any Disney research...and they get them to stay in a Disney resort and fill up their restaurants. There is a very strong possibility that if Disney did not offer this promotion, those same people would not stay on property, or at the very least would not eat a TS meal everyday at a Disney restaurant. Maybe they would choose to eat off-property or mostly CS if they felt like they were paying for it out of pocket.

So, while I do not think any particular group of people is to blame for the restaurants being hard to book, the fact is that certain ones in particular are much harder to book while the free dining promotion is going on...to no fault of the people who take advantage of free dining, but due to the promotion itself and to how many more people it attracts to come to TS restaurants vs. how many people would go to these places if there was no promotion going on. I cannot speak for anyone else, but I am certainly not pointing a finger at people who choose to take advantage of free dining and book more TS places than they normally would book. Why wouldn't they do this if they have the opportunity?

I do NOT agree with a tiered ADR system though. I don't think people should be punished for having the free dining plan. I don't think people should be punished if all they could afford is a Value resort. And I don't think people should be punished because they are DVC members either, or because they chose to stay off-property. I think that the people staying on property already have an advantage of being able to book 10 days of dining for their trip already and that is fair enough of an advantage. As you said, a guest who used a 40% off code for their resort room still is treated the same as a guest who paid rack rate for their room. Likewise, a guest who purchased tickets through UT or another discounted rate gets to enjoy all the same things in a theme park as a guest who bought at top price through Disney.

I'm glad to hear that they are bringing back the 180 day mark for reservations but it wouldn't surprise me if they do require a credit card to make them - there is a spot for it already on the online reservation form. (sigh) If it means I get to eat at Tutto Italia, then I'll do it.

I'm glad to hear that they are bringing back the 180 day mark for reservations but it wouldn't surprise me if they do require a credit card to make them - there is a spot for it already on the online reservation form. (sigh) If it means I get to eat at Tutto Italia, then I'll do it.

I would not be surprised either if they do this, and I am all for it. I have no problem with this at all. In fact, I think that if they implement this CC requirement, people would not double and triple book ADRs and then just not show to some of them. At the very least, if they are really lenient and you have to call the day of the scheduled ADR in order not to be charged, it would open up a slot for a walk-up or for someone trying to make an ADR that day while on property. And, it would most likely deter many people from double and triple booking ADRs, opening up many more slots at TS restaurants for others.

If IMACM says it's going back to 180 days, it is. They were spot-on about the online ADRs going live when they did. I have no doubt they are correct about this policy change as well.

People think this is some drastic change. All Disney is doing is returning to the way things were prior to the installation of the new reservation system.

The only issue I have is with them releasing park hours also at 180 days. I always thought they should come out at 210 days, one month ahead of ADRs. Sure, six months are better than three, but a little headway would be nice so as to finalize itineraries and schedules.

Thanks!!! I don't come here to start rumors....just trying to help out!!

the date the 180 days opens up is Oct. 27th. SHould be an interesting day popcorn::

So will the 180 on hours also take place on 10/27 or will those come out sooner so we can plan?

And the onlines reservations system is still messed up vbeyond belief. For example, Disney just had to adjust the AK park hours because they had two weeks where ADRs were being given as much as two hours after scheduled park closing.

And they have been booking parties of ten into Teppan Edo where there is a maxium of eight to a table.

And there are reports of people getting calls of having to cancel reservations bvecause the system overbooked.

They need to get the current system working with 100% accurace before they go further.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter