• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Bad Experience

It isn't that I doubt your intial report. I belive those issue did in fact exist. Where you are losing me is that it seems DVC was able to inspect that room and the problems still exist. It is one thing to miss a room or something initially but to have the problems still there days after you left.:confused3

I guess I'm hoping DVC is not that inept.

Read the last post from jekjones1558

Only Renters get poop smears. Owners get Palmetto Bugs, Used Contraceptive Devices, Food in the fridge from the past guest, and who can forget the red panties in the tree?

Enjoy your stay!

;)

-Tony

"I don't care who you are....that right there is funny!!"

You see DVC members aren't demanding.:rolleyes1

Seriously guys, please keep in mind when you complain that it reflects on all members. Please try to do so in a calm manner and give DVC the opportunity to fix the problem.

I really hope you were exxagerating. Sitting on counters? DEMANDING things? I hope you wouldn't do that.

maybe i was a bit overstated when i suggested i would "sit on the counter". but i can assure short of sitting on the counter i would be VERY demanding if we encounter a problem like what was decscibed in these threads. there is no excuse of any kind to be subjected to a room with holes in the walls, no hot water, wet carpets, ect. we all paid a lot of money to become members and have come to expect the very best. does anyone involved in this discussion think the CEO, board members or any high ranking exc. in the disney organization would put up with accomadations described. I THINK NOT and we should't either.

I think what some are missing in this discussion and possibly even the OP, is that none of us want our rooms to be dirty. We don't like it and we don't accept it as being acceptable by our standards for DVC.

That said, when it does happen, we deal with it immediately. I mean literally before I unpack. Then there are choices, if there is another room clean, I move. If not I get an immediate VIP cleaning and believe me the person that comes after me will appreicate the fact I took the time to take care of this issue.

These are our home away from homes. We are not renting hotel rooms here . We all as members have some responsiblity for thier upkeep and by reporting things to housekeeping and maintance we nip it in the bud, before it gets worse.

I have only had a bad situation with housekeeping at DVC once and it was in the kitchen, the frig was totally unacceptable. I contacted housekeeping, talked to the super on duty, he came and looked at it and agreed it was apalling and they cleaned it very well, and treated us to dinner, his offer, I was satisfied with the cleaning and we were very happy.

So instead of coming back here later and saying I had an unpleasant experience, I was able to come back and report all was well.

I think what some are missing in this discussion and possibly even the OP, is that none of us want our rooms to be dirty. We don't like it and we don't accept it as being acceptable by our standards for DVC.

That said, when it does happen, we deal with it immediately. I mean literally before I unpack. Then there are choices, if there is another room clean, I move. If not I get an immediate VIP cleaning and believe me the person that comes after me will appreicate the fact I took the time to take care of this issue.

These are our home away from homes. We are not renting hotel rooms here . We all as members have some responsiblity for thier upkeep and by reporting things to housekeeping and maintance we nip it in the bud, before it gets worse.

I have only had a bad situation with housekeeping at DVC once and it was in the kitchen, the frig was totally unacceptable. I contacted housekeeping, talked to the super on duty, he came and looked at it and agreed it was apalling and they cleaned it very well, and treated us to dinner, his offer, I was satisfied with the cleaning and we were very happy.

So instead of coming back here later and saying I had an unpleasant experience, I was able to come back and report all was well.

Great approach, Sammie. I think you are right on the money.

So much of it is approach. What they OP found wasn't acceptable, but neither was his reaction.

The proper response is to pick up the phone and call right away when something isn't satisfactory. Take your camera and snap some pictures if it's that bad and housekeeping isn't showing up! Be proactive!

Considering what we are learning about the problems with this particular room and DVC management's ultimate response, I think one of the lessons to be learned here is that some DIS DVCers :-):cough:: BWI/BCV Protection Society ::cough:: ) are really tetchy about perceived insults to their beloved investments. Some would say paranoid.:badpc:

My last trip "home" (and my first trip) to SSR saw a similar byplay of this. I'm very pro-DVC for many reasons and my dad is pro-Marriott. We had a running contest about which resort was better. It got quite heated at times since things he found wrong I downplayed and vice versa. (In the end, it was a draw.)

But we had a discussion about how most owners were when it came to reporting problems. Upon check-in we noticed a burned out bulb in my nightstand lamp. So we called Maintenance. While we waited for them, we noticed a couple more burned out bulbs and a ill-fitting knob on a kitchen cabinet. There were also some scuff marks on the kitchen table. So when the Maintenance couple (yes an electrician guy and maintenance lady doing calls together) came, we showed them all the little things. The guy dared us to remember something else that needed fixing; he was in no rush to leave. We had a great time talking to the duo and they seemed in a great mood too. It was a bonus to our trip. My dad suggested that perhaps we were the only freaks who took the time to see those little things addressed while most guests just ignore them.

It is one thing to miss a room or something initially but to have the problems still there days after you left.:confused3

I guess I'm hoping DVC is not that inept.

Since management inspected and found the room unacceptable as well, then I guess they were. Or rather this out-sourced housekeeping is. It can happen, especially if housekeeping supervisors aren't regularly inspecting rooms before release.

If there's a push to turn over rooms quickly (i.e. "room ready" rules), something's gotta give.

Given the size of BCV and the high demand, I rather expect it. Keep in mind, that since it is a HA room, it's in even higher demand than most. There aren't that many HA rooms in BCV, but all those people wanting to just cruise on over to EPCOT or MGM via ECV or wheelchair are looking for it. I know sometimes I've put up with less than pristine rooms just so I had the luxury of bathing (in a roll-in shower).

Upon check-in we noticed a burned out bulb in my nightstand lamp. So we called Maintenance. While we waited for them, we noticed a couple more burned out bulbs and a ill-fitting knob on a kitchen cabinet. There were also some scuff marks on the kitchen table. So when the Maintenance couple (yes an electrician guy and maintenance lady doing calls together) came, we showed them all the little things. The guy dared us to remember something else that needed fixing; he was in no rush to leave. We had a great time talking to the duo and they seemed in a great mood too. It was a bonus to our trip. My dad suggested that perhaps we were the only freaks who took the time to see those little things addressed while most guests just ignore them.

I think if most owners would realize that when they find something unacceptable in the unit, to call right away, and 9 times out of 10, it will be taken care of immediately.

We rented a GV because my sister and her family were joining us. I am not one to notice much. My sister noticed the picture in the bathroom had a huge crack in the glass. She suggested I call just to let them know that it was like that when we checked in, so they wouldn't think we did it. That was all I called for. I really didn't care that the glass was cracked. I called and informed the front desk, just an FYI, and then we headed out for the day.

We got back mid-afternoon, and someone had come in and either replaced the picture (same picture) or replaced the glass in the frame.

I was pretty darned impressed. I am always impressed with Disney's response time and how they handle a problem. But they need to know the problem is there before they can respond to it.

Why are people afraid to call while they are there? The OP of this thread is the not 1st or only perosn to find their room unacceptable, but they do not report it, and then come home upset.:sad2:

Why are people afraid to call while they are there? The OP of this thread is the not 1st or only perosn to find their room unacceptable, but they do not report it, and then come home upset.:sad2:

Fear of phone or fear they have to wait for the repair person? :confused3

In reality, all you have to do is let the front desk know. They'll see to it.

Once (funny story alert), when we stayed at our first timeshare (Marriott's Cypress Harbour), my mom settled into the big whirlpool tub and was disappointed the jets didn't work. So the next morning she called down to Maintenance and we headed out to Disney for the day. When we got back around 11pm there was a note on the counter: "Tested water jets on tub. Working perfectly. Note: must fill tub to water line limit to use." She then noticed the line, filled the tub, climbed in and nearly got blown out of the tub with the power of those jets. I'll say they were working. :D

maybe i was a bit overstated when i suggested i would "sit on the counter". but i can assure short of sitting on the counter i would be VERY demanding if we encounter a problem like what was decscibed in these threads. there is no excuse of any kind to be subjected to a room with holes in the walls, no hot water, wet carpets, ect. we all paid a lot of money to become members and have come to expect the very best. does anyone involved in this discussion think the CEO, board members or any high ranking exc. in the disney organization would put up with accomadations described. I THINK NOT and we should't either.

Can you at least agree that things happen? I mean have you evr had a leak at your house? A stained rug or scratched counter? Stuff happens EVEN at WDW.

The thing is I've had issues and you know what I reported them immediately WITHOUT raising my voice, demanding, stomping my feet, screaming "I paid a lot of money to become an owner", etc. DVC and WDW have always taken care of the problems in a timely and acceptable manner.

Since management inspected and found the room unacceptable as well, then I guess they were. Or rather this out-sourced housekeeping is. It can happen, especially if housekeeping supervisors aren't regularly inspecting rooms before release.
I'm not convinced that's truly the case. Disney has a habit of saying what you want to hear in these situations.

When a room's cleanliness is not up to par, or something is not in working order, you certainly DO have the right to complain about it AND/OR expect it to be corrected. That being said, I think it is unreasonable to expect a points refund or any other conpensation if the problem wasn't enough of a problem to address WHILE YOU WERE THERE. It would be a bit like ordering a meal in a restaurant, having it not to your liking, but consuming the meal completely BEFORE you mentioned it to the wait person. It was good enough to consume, but now you want your money back.

The mistake in housekeeping was the responsibility of the resort and the housekeeping staff, but when you blindly accept that lack of service by not bringing it to their attention at the time, it becomes your responsibility. I don't think any compensation would be due now. I would certainly have expected a FREE full re-cleaning and an inspection by housekeeping at the very least while I was there though.

Well said .

Can you at least agree that things happen? I mean have you evr had a leak at your house? A stained rug or scratched counter? Stuff happens EVEN at WDW.

The thing is I've had issues and you know what I reported them immediately WITHOUT raising my voice, demanding, stomping my feet, screaming "I paid a lot of money to become an owner", etc. DVC and WDW have always taken care of the problems in a timely and acceptable manner.

I think you're missing the point. we go to disney to get away from the day to day problems in our life......if we put up (even if they are repaired) with a stained rug, scratched counter, ect. then we given disney the upper hand. i paid for perferction and i expect it. as i stated previously would the senior mgt. at disney put up with this. i think we all know the answer to that question..

why should there be issues. each and every room should be checked after a guest leaves. if a problem is found it should be taken care of before it rented out again. i'm not in the hotel business but that sounds simple to me, don't you agree??

We also had issues with the handicap room behind the elevators on the 2nd floor in 2005. We had to lay towels down on the floor to prevent a slippery floor when exiting the shower, the dishwasher fell out at you when you opened the door, the key was broken off in the lock of the safe, and other minor issues. I did let management know about these issues before we left boy was that a mistake. I did not want to spend my day waiting for maintenance so I told them we would deal with everything until we left then they could fix them. Apparently they didn't get the message because between 3pm-5pm while we were in the room for my daughter to take her nap 3 people came by to fix the same thing. The next morning at 7am they were there again knocking on the door when we didn't answer because we were in bed they let themselves in:sad2: . So yes cudos to them for being on top of problems, but from now on if there are minor maintenance issues I just leave housekeeping or the front desk a note when we leave. We stayed at the boardwalk again in 2006 with not problems to report.

why should there be issues. each and every room should be checked after a guest leaves. if a problem is found it should be taken care of before it rented out again. i'm not in the hotel business but that sounds simple to me, don't you agree??

Yes I do agree to some degree. Where I don't agree is when you have people like the OP in this thread who don't take care of the problems immediately and choose to instead whine about it on a message board. They end up dumping those problems onto the next unfortunate guest.

Belive me I'm not one of the rose colored glasses folks that thinks Mickey's poop doesn't stink. I've just seen them in action and they have always taken care of my problems when reported.

I'm not convinced that's truly the case. Disney has a habit of saying what you want to hear in these situations.

I completely agree. They probably where just patronizing the OP.

The time to deal with problems is then and there not on this board. You are entitled to post your bad review but dson't expect sympathy when you did nothing to help yourself.

I completely agree. They probably where just patronizing the OP.

Are you guys actually saying that Disney lied to the OP just to get him to go away? Geez, that just makes me feel worse about the company.

Personally, I think we DISers have been ingracious here. The OP came to commisserate about his experience and solicit tips from others. He probably wanted to find reason to feel better about his ownership after a less than stellar stay. Instead, he gets his character impugned and accused of being one of those lazy, problem people who cheat others. If he didn't care about the next guest, he wouldn't have bothered reporting the problems at all. He just would have badmouthed the resort (or DVC) and chosen never to stay there again.

Since I'm a person who needs a HA room with roll-in shower, you can wager that I will probably end up in that room one day. And I'll be half-dreading the experience for fear what I'll find. If there are problems Disney hasn't addressed, I may find myself being forced to live with it. I can't just go to another room. I can call Maintenance but it the shower seat is worn or there are layers of grease on the fridge and the counter is pockmarked with cigarette burns (all things requiring equipment/furniture replacements), then you can bet I'll have to live with it. Will you diss me when I report that I chose to stay instead of move to a non HA so I in fact submitted to the bad accommodations?:scared1:

Unfortunately it's not that simple. First I can bet you that every single room at WDW has some issue or another. Some will be more important and more obvious than others but they will be there. It might be as simple as a scuff, small stain, paint chip or the like. It might be cracked tiles, a cabinet door coming off the hinges, or even a frank water leak.

The maids are supposed to report significant problems but some do so more than others. Still, they don't go through the room checking for these problems, that is not part of their job. Even when they report them, that doesn't mean that problem will get to someone who can do something about it, or if it does, that they will see it gets taken care of. I think there is a significant variability from one maid to another in this area. And thinks like scuff's and paint chips wouldn't even be reported unless dramatic. I'm sure they go through each room periodically and decide which ones to touch up at the time as well as looking for other larger issues on the inspection.

When we visit we make a list of issues we feel are not large enough to ask them to come at that time but large enough to need to be fixed. Last time the list included a food disposal that wanted to take the sink for a ride, a lose cabinet door and a whirlpool in the room we moved from that I was certain they never fixed. I do not report minor flaws like paint chips , minor carpet issues or minor flaws in the upholstery.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter