• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ban smoking at the MK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would be on board with getting rid of the Tomorrowland Speedway. Those carts stink up the joint something fierce.

I've been in this camp for a long time-- I can't believe they still run those awful things-- My kids call the ride "stinky cars"

Nope, a HS student in PA recently had an allergic reaction to Axe Body Spray that is "potentially life threatening". So apparently the cologne comment was not that far off the mark. I would assume that you now agree that all colognes/perfumes should be totally banned?
No, I have already addressed the fact that there is NO WAY to ban ALL allergens. That is something that those individuals need to deal with. As a person with a mild stone fruit allergy, I need to be aware of what I am eating at all times. It is unfortunate, but part of life.
Second hand smoke, however, affects everyone and should therefore be treated differently.

Second hand smoke in enclosed areas. The American Cancer Society doesn't warn against brief outdoor encounters in these situation.

No, I have already addressed the fact that there is NO WAY to ban ALL allergens. That is something that those individuals need to deal with.

Actually you are wrong... it just requires a desire to implement the change and then rules and regulations and maybe DAAs... Designated Allergen Areas to help enforce it and allow those who want to continue to use allergen to do so without impacting other park goers.

For example what are some of the biggest allergens that are can be life threatening: milk, nuts, fragrance, shellfish or fish. Easy peasy to deal with...

A simple outright ban against the entry of fragrance, nuts, milk, seafood or shellfish. Since everyone has to go through the turnstiles it would not be hard to enforce.

And yes it HAS been done...

Many workplaces already have rules against fragrance.

Public schools are often totally nut free or have designated allergy areas like specific tables for those who eat foods like peanut butter.

I have as much right to smoke as someone else has to eat peanuts and wear fragrance... neither is actually a right... but a privilege granted by a business... that can be removed if the business finds it in their best interests.

And for the record... I am not a smoker.

No, I have already addressed the fact that there is NO WAY to ban ALL allergens. That is something that those individuals need to deal with.

I bet 20+ or so years ago... people said the same thing about limiting/banning smoking... never say never...

To be technical, you can avoid it. But you can't if you want a dole-whip.

So, either way, someone is going to be inconvenienced. The difference is that me standing in line to get a Dole Whip isn't going to cause someone else to have an allergic reaction, or contribute to their inhalation of a carcinogen.

277 posts later we are still beating the same dead horse. We are not going to change someones view point on this and we for sure cant change Disneys policy on this.. Cant we just agree to disagree. Smokers stay in your corners of the park so you dont bother non smokers. Non smokers walk around those corners if you dont like or dont want to be near the smoke.

So, either way, someone is going to be inconvenienced. The difference is that me standing in line to get a Dole Whip isn't going to cause someone else to have an allergic reaction, or contribute to their inhalation of a carcinogen.

Maybe they should move the dole whip stand or get rid of it they are gross anyways.

I do smoke and I have no problem going long periods without smoking. All day with the kids in MK may have me wanting to pull my hair out, but that is my problem. My dh would just refuse to go anymore. However, neither one of us would have a problem walking out of the way to a smoking area. The one in AK Dinoland is great to me, out of the way. I don't like to be out in the open smoking with a lot of non-smokers around. We avoid those smoking areas, like the one by the Dole Whips. But I can't see them banning it all together.

Maybe they should move the dole whip stand or get rid of it they are gross anyways.

attachment.php

Maybe ban fireworks, heard that is harmful to someone's health. Or maybe wear a mask if your worried.

Maybe ban fireworks, heard that is harmful to someone's health. Or maybe wear a mask if your worried.

Lately, everyone loves to say what you don't "need", or what should be taken from you "for your own good"...but the world would not be a very fun, nor free, place if everything that you don't "need" or is not good for your health is banned.

Alcohol would be at the top of the list, including just about every food item on Disney property. Rollercoasters are hazardous to a lot of peoples' health, and no one needs those either. They are a waste of money, metal, and energy that could be used for other things that would actually benefit society, like building houses for the homeless. Nope, they aren't really hazardous to everyone around them, but from what I've seen, the same argument could be made for secondhand smoke outdoors.

Arguments can be made to ban just about everything we enjoy. Do you really want to live in that world? Isn't it just easier to mind your own business, avoid lifestyles you don't care for, and stay away from people that do said activity?

People that smoke pay just as much to get into the parks and should have a right to smoke. Most of the smoking sections (they are disappearing all of the time) are out of the way. Disney will lose a lot of business if they stop it all together. You can eat your Dole Whip anywhere in the park. Smokers used to smoke anywhere in the park. They put all of the smokers in a few sections in the park and low and behold that is now not good enough? Now you want to stop them all together? What if someone wants a cigarette after their Dole Whip? Can't do it because they have to make non-smokers happy? What about making smokers happy? I thought smoking sections were put into place to try to make EVERYONE happy.

Someone further down in the thread suggested using e-cigarettes but, did you know that they are not allowed in the park except in the smoking areas? Have not figured out why yet though. They won't burn anyone or give out second hand smoke so what is the problem with them?

LOL it has nothing to do with paying to get into the parks. The smoke people blow out travels, often quite far. I don't want it in my face at all. Would it be acceptable if I could piss 10 feet and just stood next to Aloha Isle spraying piss on everyone that walked by and wanted to eat a dole whip float? No it would not I would be kicked out of the park. I see no difference when it comes to smoke, both are sterile irritating substances that people don't want to be hit with, especially not while eating. Oh well by your logic I guess everyone else should have to avoid that part of the park in order to avoid my piss sprinkler.

I have no problem with people who want to smoke...if you want to do it fine thats your choice, however I do have a problem with paying for their healthcare with my tax money (I live in Canada) due to a self inflicted bad habit, and I also have a problem with it when that smoking becomes an affect on my day to day life.

Do you think smoking should be allowed at the Magic Kingdom?

I feel like there are too many smoking spots. We'll be running from one place to another and suddenly hit with cigarette smoke.

The worst one is the big smoking area next to the Dole Whip stand. After you get a dole whip, it would be nice to sit and enjoy but the whole area is filled with smokers.

Maybe they should just ban smoking in that park?

I would love it if they disallowed smoking in the parks, but the reality is they won't because they have so many foreign visitors who smoke, some of whom (if they're like my great uncle was) think that coming to the US for cheap, high-quality cigarettes is part of the fun of the vacation. It's unfortunate... Every theme park or kids amusement center in our area has banned smoking on property and I find it adds to the overall atmosphere and cleanliness of the park, with relatively no problems or complaints. I just don't think realistically it'll happen.

That said, if they could move it somewhere off the main walkways, that'd be nice. The one that leaps to mind is the smoking spot that is/used to be by the bridge by EE or the area by Aloha Isle. And in the resorts, like Pop Century and CBR, some of the spots are too close to the buildings themselves... We got one room and couldn't figure out why it smelled like somebody had been chain smoking in it, but then that evening we saw our room was right near the smoking area and the air conditioner was sucking that smell in.

It was interesting, because at Poly we saw them handing out fines this last trip to people who were out smoking where they shouldn't have been. I'd never actually seen that before and I think it was an interesting way to handle the issue.

I wonder how many of the strident anti smokers think of themselves as tolerant? Do you have nothing or do nothing in your lives that would draw judgment from others? Maybe it is a case of seeing the splinter in your neighbor's eye but missing the log in your own?

I wonder how many of the strident anti smokers think of themselves as tolerant? Do you have nothing or do nothing in your lives that would draw judgment from others? Maybe it is a case of seeing the splinter in your neighbor's eye but missing the log in your own?

Let's really look at the impact of Smoking before we answer that question.

Watch the video and see if you feel the same. I dare you.

Yes, I am very tolerant. But being tolerant and not lobbying for what you know is right are 2 totally different things. I put the rights, freedoms, health and welfare of children first. That is what is important. I tolerate my racist friends, I tolerate my smoking friends, I tolerate my drug addicted friends. I tolerate my lazy friends who chose not to go to college and now complains every day about the crappy pay they get in their unskilled job.

I do, however, choose to use those people and those situations as examples to the right way to do things and the results of not doing the right thing. The reason not to start smoking or trying drugs. The reason to go to college or learn a skilled trade. The result of being known as a bigot.

Where do we draw the line on tolerance. We have tolerated bullying in schools for YEARS. Look at the results. Look at the suicides, the school shootings, the beating. Should we tolerate these kids. They all have a story and a reason. Many can no longer help their behavior. They are addicted to the violence ot the feeling of power that they get from putting another kid down. Yes, I know it is different since smoking is legal and bullying is not, but is it really that different?

Smoking is LEGAL, so are many other things. It does not make them RIGHT, nor does it mean that access should be easy and public. We can all go on and on about all of the other things that should be banned. I do the best I can at being a role model in public. I hope that everyone else does the same.

I don't smoke but I feel that it should be controlled. Smokers make up a large demographic and WDW would lose $$$. A smoker will smoke given the time and opportunity so best provide a area to smoke. Most area's are tucked away off the main paths but when busy I see some smokers close but not inside the boundaries. Just enforce the area's better perhaps that would help. Again it all falls to the people that are feel they have a right to smoke where they please. As far as poor habits go, I recall being in line for BR and a couple chewing tobacco and spitting every 2 or 3 mins on the ground. but thats off topic....

I don't smoke but I feel that it should be controlled. Smokers make up a large demographic and WDW would lose $$$. A smoker will smoke given the time and opportunity so best provide a area to smoke. Most area's are tucked away off the main paths but when busy I see some smokers close but not inside the boundaries. Just enforce the area's better perhaps that would help. Again it all falls to the people that are feel they have a right to smoke where they please. As far as poor habits go, I recall being in line for BR and a couple chewing tobacco and spitting every 2 or 3 mins on the ground. but thats off topic....

The number of families that would choose not to go to Disney because of a smoking Ban is equal to the number of families that will not go to Disney because of the new FP+ system.

There are many crying that they would not go back, but 99.9% of them would be back.

It is even possible that the number that they lose will be less than the number that they gain because a family wants to go somewhere where they do not have to worry about encountering smoke. (Even if it is inconvenient, out of the way rare places that are clearly marked on the map and easy to avoid)

Do you actually think that if WDW world bans smoking that it will stop? It wont ,all you will do is create a bylaw asking CM's to confront smokers....that wont happen either. All we can do is ask smokers to smoke where its posted. If you must rail on smokers because of poor health choices and WDW by not banning the habit then WDW is really an enabler. Then WDW must also stop selling 99% of food choices as well which are contributing to an obese youth culture.

You see where this leads? A slippery slope.....

Maybe WDW feel sentimental, remember Walt was a chain smoker himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter