~BC or YC??? Is one really better then the other?..Pro's and Con's to both

joenan88

DIS Veteran
I currently have a CL reservation at the BC and I am considering switching to the YC....mainly because of the full balcony...Please give me your pro's and con's to both???

I have stayed at both resorts, but we prefer YC. Decor is darker woods & blue is my favorite color (room decor @ YC is blue). I do use the balcony so I like knowing I'll get one; no extra worrying about request being granted. I have stayed YC club level, not done club @ BC so I can't comment on it there. YC does have the convention center so you are more likely to see people in business attire / business casual in the lobby & elevators. BC has the Cape May Cafe so their lobby has lots of families waiting for their ADRs.

YC does have lots of families tho. Kids are not out of place there. You might want to check out the Yacht & Beach Club thread. Page one has lots of photos & info on both resorts & club levels. And very friendly posters who are happy to answer questions . Have a great vacation!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2838474

There have been a lot of discussions on this topic, in case you can find any of them. YC does have all full balconies, but BC has some as well. BC is closer to Epcot, YC closer to DHS. YC decor a bit more subdued, "The Dark Side" as they say over on the BC/YC resort thread. BC decor is a little brighter, and things seem a little more boisterous in the lobby area. I love them both. It is so hard to choose.

There have been a lot of discussions on this topic, in case you can find any of them. YC does have all full balconies, but BC has some as well. BC is closer to Epcot, YC closer to DHS. YC decor a bit more subdued, "The Dark Side" as they say over on the BC/YC resort thread. BC decor is a little brighter, and things seem a little more boisterous in the lobby area. I love them both. It is so hard to choose.

I have stayed at both and I prefer Yacht Club. They both are nice and share SAB, which is awesome. My main reason for choosing YC over BC is YC is so much quieter, and seems to be not as crowded. The lobby at BC is always so busy and noisy, I think Cape May has alot to do with that. :)

I second the pp that YC is quieter and to me, has a more relaxing atmosphere. That's nice to come back to after a busy day in the parks.

We have stayed at both and LOVE them both, but tend to lean a bit towards BC . we were lucky enough to get a full balcony at BC last year, Hopefully we will again this year.

As I have said before, if BC were not available for our dates I would not feel let down at all to stay at YC.

During our YC stay we never saw any "suits", never felt it was stuffy, and kids ran through the lobby there just as much as at BC :thumbsup2

Enjoy your stay.

Thank you all for your views...what floor is the lounge on at BC and YC..and if you were staying at either where would you want your room to be if you had a choice?? ;)

Both hotels's club lounges are on the 5th floor. All the rooms on the 5th floor are club level. BC does have some deluxe rooms on other floors. Suites may be on different floors, too. It is just DH & I. So we ask for a quiet room away from the lounge & we book lagoon view. Some people don't like the farther walk to their room so they request near the lounge. That part is personal preference.

We have stayed at both and LOVE them both, but tend to lean a bit towards BC . we were lucky enough to get a full balcony at BC last year, Hopefully we will again this year.

... if BC were not available for our dates I would not feel let down at all to stay at YC.

During our YC stay we never saw any "suits", never felt it was stuffy, and kids ran through the lobby there just as much as at BC :thumbsup2

Enjoy your stay.

+ 1 :thumbsup2

We've stayed at both. We hated the YC, but loved the BC.

We thought the YC was "snooty." Also, the lobby seemed about as fun and exciting as a hospital waiting room. YMMV.

We thought the YC was "snooty." Also, the lobby seemed about as fun and exciting as a hospital waiting room. YMMV.

Hated?? really?? I never heard it was that bad..what was your experience??? Did something bad happen?? I heard both was similar..I am interested in your interpretation..thanks ;)

Here is the info from the FAQ thread discussing the differences between the two resorts. I personally prefer the lighter Beach Club decor, but would have no problem staying at the YC, especially if I had a room with the smaller balcony.

The Beach Club and Yacht Club are similar resorts in terms of service and amenities, and have equal access to the shared pool complex, health club and video arcade. Both resorts have the same management team in place.

Some minor differences have been noted by guests:

Beach Club
Lighter, beachy decor in lobby and rooms
Lobby can be active and lively with families waiting for meals at Cape May
Closer to EPCOT and Marketplace Gift Shop
Approximately 50% of rooms in all room categories have full balconies. The remaining are standing balconies.

Yacht Club
Darker woods and nautical decor in lobby and rooms
Lobby is more serene
Convention attendees are more likely to be booked at YC
Closer to Hollywood Studios and Friendship Boats
Most rooms have a full balcony

Want more details about the differences between the two resorts? Check out this awesome blog post (November 2011) from The World of Deej:
The World of Deej: BC vs. YC

Thanks for that blog...how about location..does one side really matter?? I read that the BC is closer to Epcot but YC is closer to HS..but is the location even a factor?? ;)

Thanks for that blog...how about location..does one side really matter?? I read that the BC is closer to Epcot but YC is closer to HS..but is the location even a factor?? ;)

I don't think location is really an important factor. I would say there is maybe a 3-4 minute difference from one resort to the other. Like a 12-15 minute walk to EPCOT from the YC instead of a 7-10 minute walk from the BC.

As far as room locations go, at the Beach Club, the lounge is near the elevators that take you to the lobby, so a room request of "close to lounge" would be convenient to get snacks and to make your way to the lobby/pool area.

My room request for the Beach Club would be, "Full balcony please, close to Concierge Lounge, if possible"

We've stayed at both. Personally, I found the differences between them to be minor enough that I would not know which one would be my preferred one in the future. They are right next to each other and are connected, BOTH by outside walkways and interior walkways. They both share access to the same pool. They both have a beach/nautical theme (with beach Club being more beachy and YC being more nautical). You can walk from one lobby to the other in about 3 minutes. It felt like being in one hotel that had 2 separate sections. The rooms were somewhat similar in terms of layout, furniture (white wood), carpets (striped), big sink outside bathroom.

Pluses/Minuses of Each

YC
+ Almost all rooms have balconies
+ About a couple of minutes closer to the DHS boat launch than from the BC
+ Quieter than BC/More adult
- Farther from QS (located at BC lobby)
- More business people around, due to convention center

BC
+ Closer to the Epcot Int'l Gateway
+ More 'festive' than YC
+ Has the Quick Service Marketplace in the lobby
- Not all rooms have balconies

Hated?? really?? I never heard it was that bad..what was your experience??? Did something bad happen?? I heard both was similar..I am interested in your interpretation..thanks ;)
The biggest negative was the staff. We just thought they were very unfriendly and unhelpful.

We also thought that the YC was "stuffy" and too formal. The lobby felt like the waiting room at the dentist.

On the other hand, the resort was very well maintained and clean, and it really felt like a deluxe resort.

I think both are great...I prefer the BC because it's just a little closer to Epcot, but either are fine. I love the new room decor at YC. But you asked for pros/cons...so here are mine

YC Pros
-lovely decor (though this is personal preference)
-nice public spaces (I like the decor, don't find it stuffy, my son loves the ships and giant globe)
-our favorite breakfast buffet - good selection, never crowded, no characters...great for a peaceful breakfast
-generally closer to boat launch, shorter walk to Studios
-generally first stop on bus routes (thought not always - sometimes the bus that serves YC/BC stops at Swan/Dolphin first)

YC Cons
-no QS and unless they've added a station to the gift shop, there's no mug refill inside the resort...have to walk over to BC Marketplace
-...hard to come up with many cons!

BC Pros
-access to some QS items in BC Marketplace
-wider selection of grocery food items in Marketplace
-mug refill station in Marketplace
-slightly closer to Epcot (but only slightly)
-lobby is bright and cheery, room decor is definitely nice (though I prefer YC a bit more)

BC Cons
-lobby is busier IME thanks to character buffet off lobby (Cape May Cafe), Marketplace, and through traffic of BCV guests

The biggest con for me is no CS at the YC....I am staying CL so I will have access to drinks & snacks....is there a place to eat if we spend the day by the pool?? do they have waitress service?? Thanks for all the info :)

We haven't stayed CL, but we've stayed at both and we loved both resorts. Same as the other posters, YC seemed a little more quieter than the BC, but both are really great! We're staying at the Beach Club this year because we were able to book a garden view room with the discount and the Yacht Club only had pool view rooms available with the discount which were, of course, more expensive.

Hurricane Hannah's is right by the pool area, and they serve burgers, hotdogs, wraps, snacks, & drinks. Also, Beaches & Cream is right there by the pool. They do have CMs that come around the pool area for drink orders, I'm not sure if they'll take your food order too. But again, Hurricane Hannah's is right there!

We're doing a split stay this year with Pop Century and Beach Club. On our "moving day", we're planning to sleep in a little, then go over to the BC and spend the day at the pool. We'll probably do Beaches & Cream that night for dinner! It is SO relaxing by the pool!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter