Becoming Lean, Mean, Endurace Event Machines in 2008

Hey guys and gals! How is everyone??? My life is crazy busy! Work is hopefully going to be a bit calmer this week.

I got in 2 out of 3 walks last week. This is now Week 2 of Half training... Got to get them all in!

Not sure if I've mentioned this, but I've decided to tweak my goal for the Half Marathon. I think I was a little too ambitious at my fitness level to think I was going to do more running than walking. So, I've decided to focus on getting my mileage in and mostly walking in my training and for the event. Right now I plan to to run just a minute or two each mile. I want to make sure I stay under that 16 min mile limit, but this is my FIRST Half Marathon and the goal is ultimately to FINISH and have FUN doing it. For my Half Marathons to follow, I can set more of a time goal. I don't think this will be my only one. ;)

Other goings-on... This Saturday I will do a 5K (and one extra mile) as I have to do 4 miles for my LW/R this weekend. After, I am going to get my National Water Fitness Instructor Certification. I'm hoping by January/Feb to be teaching 1-2 classes per week. :woohoo:

I think that's about from me. I hope everyone is well.

Stacie

Tracey: From all of your WISH team :grouphug: .

Way to go on your training run.

Sometimes it's better to run without a watch, and just focusing on the run. Our annual Turkeytrot doesn't allow watches, Garmins, or Ipods. You need to predict your finish time before the start, then go out an run that pace. Closest to your predicted time, wins. Last year, my friend nailed her time right on the number. Amazing.

Wendy: Loved the pictures from EEC. Thanks for sharing.

What's up to the rest of you WISHers! :wave2:

Tracey, so sorry for your loss. Just going backwards through the posts now trying to catch up and found your sad news.

Stacie, I think having fun is a great goal -- and frankly, there are LOTS of races that you can improve your finish time for, but there is only one Disney Marathon Weekend with races that include the parks and photos with the characters and seeing all your WISH buddies in real life -- It's waaaaay cool. Me, I'd rather shoot for PRs at some race on some boring stretch of pavement in the middle of nowhere.

As for me and my boot -- well, I survived the 5K and I think my bursitis/tendonitis is actually not much worse than it was Thursday -- that is, I have no pain when I have the boot on, or even when I have the boot off and I'm walking carefully. But let me step on an uneven surface, or climb stairs, or do anything that stretches the tendon and it still smarts. I have progressed enough, though, that I have exercises to do now to strengthen my tendons (using those stretchy bands) and I'm hoping I'll be boot-free by next week or sooner. Bottom line -- I don't think the EEC cost me too much in terms of recovery.

Gotta hit the hay. Seems I have almost no time for anything but work these days, but since I get paid by the hour and I just got back from Disney, maybe that's a good thing -- if you know what I mean! :upsidedow

Hey Meaners! Well, my 'marathon' of 1/2 marathons is done. And, by the way, I will never do back to back 1/2 marathons. I was feeling good on Sunday (Toronto) until 12K or so......don't know what mile that would be. My feet hurt really bad....and the pain progressed up to my hips.....I finished in pain.

But in the process, chalked up 3 1/2 marathon distances for the Goofy team!!! That ain't to shabby!

Now........my goals until the Princess........I will lose 20 pounds, and complete an official training program to try for a PR.........

My wagon trip has been reiniciated as of yesterday. I have 5 months to get my rear in gear! Let's hear it for goals!!!! :banana: :banana: :banana:

Nice of the guys to keep the home fires burning!!! Thanks to Jeff, Howard, and Mike to keep things lively!

Tracey: Nice training run! Always nice to have a diversion, isn't it?

Stacie: I am all for the 'fun' run!!!!! My peeps are the Penguins, ya' know?

Lisa: Yes, I am up for any 'extreme' you are! Bring it on!!!! :thumbsup2

Wendy: Sounds like you had fun!!!! Glad to hear it!

Wagon Tip of the Day: Calories do count! My goals include watching my calorie intake......not my strong suit. I want to keep my calorie count between 1200-1400 calories a day.......while burning at least 500 calories a day. We'll see what happens with that!

Beth

Good Day!

Beth...You are something girl! 3 1/2 Marathons! :faint: I hope your calorie counting goes well!

Wendy...Glad EEC didn't set you back much! I saw your pics! Looks like loads of fun!

I got in my aquacise last night and saw a friend at the pool. Ended up being in there for 1 hr 15 min total. Just hopping around after class...

Marathon Weekend related question???

Does anyone know if on Saturday, after the 1/2 Marathon if around lunch time, there will be buses going over to WWoS? I'm am playing w/ the idea of after the 1/2 Marathon going back to Poly, showering and then trying to make it back over to WWoS for the Eat and Greet w/ the characters. I thought that would be a good picture taking oportunity w/ our medals. I'm a little fearful I will feel rushed... What do you guys think? I'm hoping to keep to around a 15 min pace which would put us finishing just over 3 hrs.

So...Today I will complete my Adult/Child/Infant CPR and AED Training. Hopefully tonight, I will get in my 35 min Walk/Run.

Hope everyone has a great day!
Stacie

First run back after 6 days of icing and stretching...felt pretty good...We'll see how the rest of the day goes...

Mike

Marathon Weekend related question???

Does anyone know if on Saturday, after the 1/2 Marathon if around lunch time, there will be buses going over to WWoS?
Stacie

Yes, buses will be running all day on Saturday to the expo, during open hours. Check the program when it comes out online, probably in December.

Hey Lean Meaners! Where IS everyone! :confused3

got in my first official half training run yesterday. I covered 3.4 miles in 45 minutes. I had hoped to cover about 3.6-3.7, but since this was my first true running effort in 2 weeks, I'll take it. I felt pretty good while doing it, bit of a side stitch problem towards the end, but I focused on breathing and that got rid of it. I think I am doing pilates tonight. I am hoping to PR my RfTC 5K on Saturday, which will also be my LR for the week. I think if I cut my walk intervals by 30-60 seconds, this will be a breeze. I was doing 3/2 intervals last night and felt recovered after a minute.

I hope everyone is doing well!! :grouphug: :grouphug:

Where is EVERYONE????????? I've killed the thread........:guilty:

Beth

I've noticed that several of the threads have slowed down. It must be that time of year again. So many things are going on: 3 major holidays just ahead of us plus we begin getting into our serious training modes. I always say it's much easier to be a man at this time than a woman. It seems we get stuck with all the holiday decorating, shopping, preparation, etc. What's a gal to do?:confused3

As for me, I just got back from EEC. As Wendy said, it was a blast! I had such a good time with my son, Adam. I have not spent that much one-on-one time with him in well over a decade. He was such a good sport about everything too.....even wore a WISH shirt! He turned out to be a great partner. We walked the entire way and I finished the 5K portion in under 40 minutes! For me, that is like flying. Our official overall time was 1:13:44 which is not too shabby. Once we finished the obstacle course we knew we'd get a medal, so we slowed down a bit for the scavenger hunt. We even got one wrong, but unless you were going for an award (or bragging rights!) it really didn't matter. At the finish, they gave everyone a medal and THEN checked the passport for correctness. There was a mom and her young son ahead of us on the photo line and they only got 1 right! But they still got their medals so it was all good.

I can't believe I will be back at WDW in 3 weeks for TofT. I'm really excited about that one because so many WISHers will be there and it's not a difficult event. I think Dave called it a "moving party" and he is so right!

Have a great day everyone....i'm still catching up with missed work.

:banana: Hey y'all!

Amy....WTG on your run! I'd say if you're feeling recovered after 1 min, I'd cut down my walk breaks. Your body knows best;). I'm sure you'll set a new PR this weekend.:banana:
Lisa....how's the "extreme" abs workout going?
Stacie...I think that your idea of really enjoying the 1/2 is a great one. My girlfriends and I are planning to go down for the 2010 race and we're going to get as many pics as we can.
Jeff...I love the idea of predicting your time and trying to make it w/o a watch.
Wendy...glad to hear the bursitis is not worse.
Beth...nice job finishing your 3rd 1/2!:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:
Mike...glad to hear the run went well. Here's hoping you're still feeling good today.:yay:
Deb....We're missing you, girl! I know you're :teacher: ,just stop by when you can.
The weather is cool here today. A great day to run outside but, my jogging stroller is having some difficulties. Unfortunately, I'll have to run inside today and then I'll get in an extra 1 1/2 with my Girls on the Run today. Speaking of run....I gotta run to get everything in today. Have a great one all!

. So many things are going on: 3 major holidays just ahead of us plus we begin getting into our serious training modes. I always say it's much easier to be a man at this time than a woman. It seems we get stuck with all the holiday decorating, shopping, preparation, etc. What's a gal to do?:confused3
Okay, boys, don't get mad, but I totally agree, Jeanne. I know that I bring it on myself, but I decorate for every holiday and we have traditions for each one. This time of year with class parties, apple picking, pumpkin picking, fieldtrips, halloween costumes to make, gifts to buy and wrap, etc.(and now trying to squeeze training time in). It can get really overwhelming. I just try to enjoy every moment of it. Now, if I can squeeze in a little nap a couple of times a week then it makes things a bit easier.;)

Hi! I ran after work in overcast and off and on rainy conditions. It was cool though which helped, however there was 100% humidity. :headache:

Here are the results of my efforts:

Miles: 8.16
Time: 1:07:02
Pace: 8:13

Splits: 8:21, 8:16, 7:57, 7:51, 8:16, 8:28, 7:55, and 8:29.

I felt a bit winded the first two miles, then caught my breath and stride.

By the way, I do an awful lot around the house for the holidays and every day. Including laundry, mopping, etc. Not all men are slackers!

Chiming in on the whole holiday thing. I get stuck with most of it. Planning, cooking, shopping. I always feel an odd sense of relief once Dec 26th rolls around. Sometimes I truly hate how the holidays make me feel. DH does do alot of chores around the house, cleaning, picking up clutter, etc, so I can't complain too much.

Howard Umm, three sub 8 minute splits?? :worship: :worship:

TWO count em TWO weeks no running...sure like I like to swim and bike...ok I like to bike, but jeezix, TWO weeks off of running?

on anti-inflamatories?

good god....

TWO count em TWO weeks no running...sure like I like to swim and bike...ok I like to bike, but jeezix, TWO weeks off of running?

on anti-inflamatories?

good god....

Mike,

Hey, quit complaining. Our marathon clinic director, Dr. Jack Scaff preaches 8 weeks off when injured. And you start the training over from the beginning mileage distance.

Do your layoff, and then come back slowly with decreased mileage and pace. Your body needs to recover. :wizard:

Morning all, I have noticed this thread slowly dying out so I lurk in and out and post once in awhile. Maybe we need to think up a new exciting thread to get everyone interested again. :laughing:

The "extreme" ab workout is pretty extreme. The last line says that you won't be happy the next day and I was definitely not. I am shelving it until Sunday (or Monday) AFTER the HM, duh....:rolleyes1

Foliage is at about 70% peak here and I have to say it is gorgeous. Fall in Maine is one of my favorite times of year. The air is cool and crisp, the humidity is gone and the scenery on my runs is breathtaking. I do like to travel but I love home the most-ut (sorry a little Jetson humor there). :cloud9:

My run on Tuesday was less than stellar, felt like mud, legs not working....Houston we have a problem. All who have done the bigger races will feel my agony here. Pre-race OMG what happened to my great runs right. So I talked myself off the ledge. Yesterday's run was better. Started with shin pain and tight calves and OMG again, breathe Lisa, breathe.....I finished my 4.5 miles with a 10:10 average so YAY!! I am truly hoping to maintain between a 10 and 10:30 pace even through the hills so I can finish in under 2:15. Right now, my PR is 2:18 and change. Next year I am shooting for under 2....:sad2: An easy run today and then driving to NH tomorrow afternoon to hookup with Joanne (Groovygirls) to pick up packets. :woohoo: WISH me luck, I am going to need all I can get (oh and Howard if you could funnel some speed that would really be appreciated too...:flower3: )!!

Have a good weekend Meaners!

Morning Meaners! How's it going?????

Things are good on this end of the world. I am 90% recovered from my (3) 1/2 marathons. I am feeling pretty good. And.....I lost 4 pounds since last week! That tells you how I have been eating!!!! :scared1:

I am psyched for the next few weeks of getting some weight off this bones! Role call, who's with me???????

Beth

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter