Becoming Lean, Mean, Endurace Event Machines in 2008

Hey Lean Meaners! Long time, no post. I did complete the Philly Distance run on Sunday. It was a beautiful day to run! Kept a good pace until around mile 10......this cold has hung on, and I was having a little trouble breathing. I slowed down and walked towards the end. Don't know my time.....don't really want to know my time!;)

The best news is my friend, Heidi, broke 2:00 that day!!!! It was only her second race, and boy was it a race! She was running 8:00 min miles! She completed the LAST 5K in 27:00 !!!!!! Wow, is all I could say! She rocked the house. There is no looking back for her.....she loves the 1/2 marathon distance and will keep racing!

Tracey: I am truly sorry for the loss of your friend. Such a sad thing. My friend Heidi (mentioned above) lost her husband (age of 39) 6 months ago in a car accident. Her running evolved from her grief. She has come a long way in the 6 months since his death. It hits home when you lose someone close to you.

Lisa: I love the idea of the sand pit!!!! It's a boys dream to play with the BIG toys!!!! Glad you had a rest day.....sometimes it's the best thing to do for ourselves! And a nap too!!! Sounds dreammyyyy.......:love:

WWDave:Yeah for the new sizes!!! Give Erica a big hug from us!

A shout out to everyone else! Have a Lean Mean day!!!

Beth

Debra: I’ve pretty much decided that my job is something that is worth the energy to get all worked up about. I used to do that and it really affected other parts of my life. I try to throw the negative feelings into my workouts when I can and that seems to help. As far as coirkers go I don’t have any really great strategies. I try not to stoop to their level of immaturity, as hard as it may be sometimes. And for me, since I am usually considered the “quiet” one of the group, opening my mouth and being a bit of a not so nice, quiet, doormat type person really seems to get their attention. I reserve that for extreme situations though. I think I’ve had the Doggie Style Pale Ale..I think we went to that brewery. This is why I need to keep a journal.

Julie Lots and Lots of Beer on vacay…And sangria. And Mojitos. And Local Wines. DD is now running!! :scared1: From not walking to running in less than a month!!

Stacie I am so disappointed the 5K is filled up!:sad2: I guess I should have signed up earlier!

Howard As usual :worship: :worship: ….Awesome effort!

Jeff looks like you had a good race with DD!:goodvibes

Dave Totally hear you on the junk food. I indulged in junk food more than I had been while I was on vacation and it really made me feel yucky. I think I am still feeling the effects. :sick:

Tracey The Outer Banks are beautiful! Twists and Turns would be a great way to describe the family vacay! A SNAKE on your run???:scared1: So sorry to hear about your friend. :sad1:

Lisa Sounds like you are doing great getting ready for AppleFest! I am so jealous of your cool weather! :cool1:

Maria Great job on getting the workouts in! :cool1:

Beth Another ½?? Awesome! :woohoo: :yay:

To everyone I missed :grouphug: :)

So that is my attempt at catching up!

Yesterday was one of my scheduled rest days, I’ve planned them for Mondays and Fridays, so that I’ll have one before and after LR’s. I feel kind of :sick: , but am hoping to push through the run tonight. It’s only 3/2 intervals, so it should be relatively “easy”.

Have a great day Meaners!

Just wanted to pop in and say HELLO!!! Don't have time to stay, but did want to say hello! :wave:

Stacie

Howard - Congrats on your amazing time! :cheer2:

Lisa - 10.4 pace on a hilly 11.4 run - that's amazing. :worship: I don't think I could ever do that. Your DS7's sand pit sounds so cool. My boys would be in heaven with a sand pit like that.

Tracey - I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. :hug:

Maria - I can't believe that with all of your wildlife in the city stories, that you don't have a moose story to share! :laughing: It's great that you're back on track with your workouts. :thumbsup2

Amy - I'm glad you had a great vacation and that you had time for beer, sangria, mojitos, and wine. :drinking1 That's my kind of vacation! Your DD is cuter than cute!

Beth - Congrats on your race! :cool1:

Debra - Where are you? Have you disappeared again? :confused3

Hi to everyone else. :wave2:

I ran 5 miles this morning and tried to push myself a bit. My time was definitely better than usual - 10.94 min/mile vs. my usual 11.5, but man my legs are killing me now.

Thank you for the congrats Julie, Amy, Lisa and Maria! I am living the dream! At least this week! :lmao: :goodvibes

:hug:

Howard

Hey all you lean meaners, it's Wednesday, half way through the work week. Are you getting your miles and repetitions in? Are you? Huh?:wave:

My run was pretty smooth today.

10 1/2 miles, 8:17 average pace. 7:51 on the low end, 8:32 on the high end. Whew, Guru Les is over his cold, and back to punishing me. :headache:

Hi Meaners!

Got in in pilates/crunches yesterday. I was supposed to run, but since I had a hair appointment and can't wash my hair for a day, and running in FL involves getting super sweaty, I swapped my days. I am now the proud owner of blond AND RED highlights! I am loving them...So I am sort of staying on track.

Here are a few more beach pics, even one with proof of beer lap training. See the red solo cup.

The house
100_4585.jpg

Beach Erosion
100_4571.jpg

100_4579.jpg

The wind scoured the sand down to black! FYI, walking down the beach with 30+ MPH winds blowing the sand is a great alternative to microdermabrasion!!
100_4639.jpg

Beer Lap Training
100_4646.jpg

And DD again!
IMG_4474.jpg

Have a great day everyone!

Amy

Maria asked me to keep posting my workouts, so here it is. :goodvibes

Hi everyone!

I just got back from my first post-PDR run. I think I did ok, there was definitely some residual soreness burried deep in the muscle tissue that whispered some sweet nothings to my brain. However, after mile two they were all history. Here is the scoop:

Miles: 8.06
Time: 1:10:41
Pace: 8:46

Splits: 9:12, 10:05, 8:25, 8:37, 8:49, 8:33, 8:21, and 8:09.

I feel bushed, but good. Time for a shower.

Have a great evening!

:grouphug:

Howard

Great times, and wonderful work!

All Lean Meaners have a lean mean wonderful day!

Mikes Place: I am not going to be competing with Howard/Jeff or myself anytime soon.

My right knee feels wrecked; icing and stretching haven't addressed the pain :sad2:

I have an appointment with the orthopod on October 1st. Its a ways away, but since he is the Chicago Bears and Chicago Blackhawks knee and shoulder guy its probably worth the wait...Same doc who did my right meniscus and left ACL, too.

Anyway, I am going to try four consecutive rest days and ice and stretch and see if that makes it go away.

Mike

Hello everyone.

I can not possibly catch up to everyone at this point. I tried lurking, but the drugs just didn't help make sense of anything and I couldn't even see right. Oh, did I mention I had rotator cuff surgery? It was supposed to have been a very simple procedure that didn't require doing anything with the rotator cuff, but my body hid it well from the imaging machines and the docs and I had a 90% tear.

I am wearing a sling at least 4 more weeks and have already started light therapy, make that slight therapy.

It still hurts like the dickens, but I ain't takin' no more dang drugs! Well, except for maybe if the muscle spasms start back up, then, I might. They are horribly insanity making.

During all this madness with steroids, surgery, failure to sleep, (I have only been in my bed for 2 nights, now.) I have been attempting to sleep sitting up! Uhm,,, where was I? Oh yea, I only gained an amazing magical 3 lbs. Of course, all of them are in the middle and I thing several more of the regular ones have shifted in to keep them company. But, I will ketchup, and take my life over once again....soon!

I have to tell everyone that I took you all into the operating room with me. I have a pair of white socks with black Mickey icons on them and I got to wear them all through surgery and I believe that with all that magic, I couldn't help but come out just fine! :love:

Is this thing on? Anyone out there in cyberland? HEEEEEEELLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo

I did 1 hour on the stationary bike Wednesday, about 14 miles, and felt good.

On Thursday, I did 10 1/2 miles, and by mile two I was a bit tired. Got through it at an 8:45 average per mile pace. Not the best run, but I got it done.

Cold Stone Creamery was well earned by this WISHer!

Checking in with the Lean Meaners....

Before dancing and after work, I got 5 miles in. It was misty raining the whole time, overcast, ugly and wet. I had to make sure of my footing as I ran and couldn't see much due to the fog on my lenses and the mist of rain that covered them the whole run.

Here are my "lousy" results: :lmao:

Miles: 5.0
Time: 42:49
Pace: 8:34

Splits: 8:34, 8:58, 8:18, 8:43, 8:15

Have a great weekend!

:grouphug:

Howard

I got out this morning early with the following results:

Miles: 10.01
Time: 1:30:45
Pace: 9:04

Splits: 9:30, 10:02, 8:40, 8:50, 8:33, 8:54, 8:48, 8:57, 9:08, 9:19

Conditions were far from desirable with 100% humidity, misty rain and overcast skies.

Way to go on your numbers Howard.

I did 18 miles at a 10:05 average pace. Not bad considering I tried a new training method of running 1 mile, walking 1 minute, then running to the next mile marker.

Not out of breath towards the end, but it was still a climb back up Kahala Ave. and Diamondhead.

We dodged the thousands of cyclists on the Century Bike Ride on our return leg back. Whew, I nearly got taken out by a boy not allowing enough room between me and the guardrail.

Went out to the waterpark with the keiki, again. Glad we invest in an annual pass each year!

Hi guys,

Drivin' by....we just had new Internet tracking software installed at work, which means only Dising from home from now on for me. I'm not sure when I'm going to to fit it in, but I will find a way!

I went ahead and upped my daily wogs to 2.5 miles, and it feels good! I'm staying here through Oct., I'm figuring out what my normal time is, and then I'll start trying to improve it a little.

Gotta hit the hay so I can make my 5:30 am date with the TM!

Maria

Hey, leaner meaners! Just got back from WDW late last night and the Expedition Everest Challenge. You'l need to check out the thread for the great race reports there, but I did want to point you to my photos (not smart enough to get you to the right page of the thread, just to my post).

Wendy's EEC photo journal

Hi guys. So sorry, I've been MIA. We had a memorial service on Friday for my girlfriend who passed away. It's been an emotional week. And, as it looks around here, y'all had a busy week too.
Lisa....that sand pit sounds awesome! My kiddos would be thrilled to have something like that.
Beth....congrats for finishing the PDR and fabulous job for your friend, Heidi. Please tell her she's awesome~! I think running can really help us find some peace and it sounds like she's done just that.
Stacie....keep on movin' forward girl.
Amy....what a gorgeous beach home!
Julie....nice job getting 5 miles in under 11mpm!
Jeff.....a waterpark sounds sooooo good today! I bet your girls :love: that.
Howard....great run times!
Mike...so sorry to hear about the knee pain. I hope the few day of rest help.
Connie...so you did have the surgery. Sounds like it was a bit rougher that expected and Wow! a 90% tear!
Maria...it's a struggle to find enough minutes in a day, isn't it?
Wendy....I :love: the pics. I'm going to go back and read the report. It looks like you had a blast!
Cindy, Vic, Debra, Dave,...I know I'm missing others....:wave:

I've been doing really well keeping up with the workouts and staying on top of my eating. I ran my usual 3 miles on Sat. and came in right at 30 min. I'm still trying to get under that marker and it's just not happening. Oh, well! Yesterday, I went out for my 8 mile run (I never thought I'd hear myself say that!) I, of course, I'm running w/o a Garmin, so I just guess at my pace. Anyway, this cute running girl (I say this as I think she could've been close to my almost 40 age and she was in amazing shape)....she settles in next to me as I complain that I keep inhaling bugs and she shares that when she gets home she always finds dead bugs on her face! She asks me what I'm training for and when I tell her she says "Cool". She's training for the Miami 1/2 in Jan. and it will be her 3rd 1/2. She's carrying on a perfectly normal conversation while I can get out a sentence or two and then have to suck in a little air.:lmao: She asks me what my goal pace is for today's run and I say, "It's somewhere between 10 and 11 mpm, but w/o a Garmin it's hard to tell." Then she says, "Well, right now, you're running a 9:30 with me". I felt like :yay: :yay: ! Then I realized that I couldn't keep it up, so I told her to go on ahead and I was going to fall back. She ran on ahead, but I kept her within my sights for the rest of my 4 miles out! For that brief mile, it was so nice to run with someone else. I am so appreciative of her running with me.
I ended with a 1:30:59, but that included 1 potty break, and 3 stops to wait for stoplights! So your guess is as good as mine, but I'm thinking that I may have finished in an 11 mpm time or less! I'm good with that for an 8 mile run!
Sorry for the long story.
Let's liven up this thread.....If you could run anywhere today, where would it be?
Have a great day, friends!

Hey everyone!

I am finally feeling like I am getting out of my post vacation funk. :goodvibes I am truly excited to start half training today. :yay: I did get on the scale this morning (first time since before vacay) and am only up 1.5 pounds. And that could be water weight since I am still feeling the TOM bloatiness. I am setting my 1/2 marathon weight loss goal for 16 pounds. That will put me below 180 and within 20 pounds of my goal weight.

Tracey Again, so sorry about your friend. :hug: Your 8 miler sounds like it went great and I would definitely say your pace is sub 11 min/mile! I am slowly working my way to sub 12 min/miles.

Maria Internet tracking software?? :scared1: that stinks.

Howard, Jeff You guys continue to totally rock on your runs! :woohoo: :worship:

Connie pixiedust: pixiedust: for speedy recovery! :hug:

Mike pixiedust: for your knee !

Everyone :wave: :grouphug:

if I could run anywhere In colorado on a trail in rocky mountain national park or in ireland between pubs!

Away, I would run away...:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Actually, I would love to run where Jeff does. The scenery is very beautiful there and it seems so peaceful and serene. I have to say though that I LOVE running in Maine in the fall. The air is brisk but warm and the foliage right now is beyond beautiful. In my little corner of the world, I guess I have great air, great scenery and life is good.

And, yes, Tracey, running with someone is great, pushes you to a new place and you don't even realize it. Running with my SIL sounds EXACTLY like your run with your new found friend.

I found a new ab routine to try. It uses the word "extreme" in it which scares me a little but I have some muffin issues that I need to deal with. I also would like to know how I can possibly run this much and still have fat on my legs???? I bought a pair of American Eagle skinny fit jeans and they have spandex unlike my last pair (I like the pockets on these better) and I have little saddle bags in them. Yes, just little but, hello, I am putting in 25-30 miles a week on these things, the least they could do is look good.....:mad:

Enough rant. I hope everyone is taking care and doing well on the wagon train. I am down 2 pounds since we last talked and nearing my goal. Of course there is WDW in 25 days......:rolleyes1

My goal, by January 1, I hope to be under 130 pounds. No one hate me for saying that, it is a major feat for me just to get there. I got up to 154 at my biggest (hard to believe if you see me) and my lowest ever as an adult was 112. That is quite a span. I figure in my 40s, to be under 130 is a great thing and I am truly working hard toward this goal. As soon as my HM is over this weekend, I plan to cut portions and control calories a little more than I am now. I also need to get more gym time and less run time (did I say that out loud???) to gain some tone and balance.

Rock on Meaners and keep working toward those goals!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter