Becoming Lean, Mean, Endurace Event Machines in 2008

Hey Lean Mean Brigade!

Sorry I've been AWOL. I haven't been doing anything I should...once again I am slumping. But, I saw the Biggest Loser and it's motivating me. Well, that and the fear of being swept in January! I have to get things in gear. :cool1:

My time lately has been taken up with planning a House Party. We applied for and were selected to host a Cartoon Network Star Wars Clone Wars party to preview the new tv show. We just got the party package yesterday. I think we're going to have 10 kids -- which is good since they sent supplies for 10 goody bags. I'm also going to pick up the actual bags and a toy to go in each one. I just can't hand out a bag with stickers, tattoos and glow sticks, I need it to be a little more substantial. We also got balloons, a tote bag with Yoda on both sides, and a Hasbro light saber, which is pretty nice. It's spring-action and changes colors, so ds is thrilled. I've been trying to come up with activities and a menu based on the show, which isn't as easy as it sounds.

We did do a 5K on Sunday -- the whole family which meant dh got to run and I walked with ds. My time was scary, but it was ds's first race, so I'm glad we got to do it together.

Dave -- It's always great to see you post! You are that unstoppable force for good we need! :goodvibes

Jeff -- Wow, you look great for your age! :lmao:

Jeanne -- Oh man, I wish the Half was an 18 minute mile pace. I could definitely talk my SIL into doing it if it was! :headache:

Cindy -- I hope your little one is better soon so you can rest! :wizard:

Howard -- Your splits are amazing! :)

Stacie -- Sorry about the 5K, but great job getting that workout in! :thumbsup2

Tracey -- I love Jillian! I think I would cry if she trained me, but I'd be crying in my skinny pants! pirate:

Beth -- I hope you are feeling better, and you stepped away from the fish! :cool2:

Debra, Vic, Connie, Wendy, Julie and Lurkers -- Have an awesome weekend!

Maria :upsidedow

Jeff, buddy, be easy on me, I do most of my posting in the wee hours of the morning or late in the evening before bed. Besides I can claim senile.

Senile Old Panda:angel:

LOL. Well I was trying your unedited link by cutting and pasting into my browser. I kept getting an error message link not found. I was puzzled for a minute, thinking, what am I doing wrong? :confused3:lmao:

Maria~ Aww Shucks, it was nothin... :flower3:

Cindy~ Thanks for the weekend race WISHes!

I ran my last run prior to the distance run tonight. Here are my stats:

Miles: 5.02
Time: 48:14
Pace: 9:37

Splits:
9:24
9:47
9:30
9:35
9:45

As you can probably tell, I tried to take it easy. Most osf my recent runs have been in the 8's with a few sub-8's thrown in for kicks.

:grouphug:

Howard

Good morning Meaners!

Hoping everyone's weekend is starting off well. :surfweb:

Spent a couple of days in Orlando this week. Made it over the DTD, and Boma for dinner. I had never eaten at Boma before. Good food!

Training is going pretty well.

Everyone - Keep up the great training!

:)

Good morning everyone.

Last night I was craving junk food, so if your going to give in you might as well go all the way to the deepest part of hell for it. I stopped on the way home for the the ultimate bottom feeder junk, I stopped at White Castle and got cheese burgers and fries. ( You have to fall off the wagon sometimes right) Anyway this morning my body is blaming me for what I did. Since I normally eat a very good diet, the junk caused a minor mutiny inside me. I won't be doing this again soon. Not till I forget how I'm feeling this morning.

This mornings workout if it happens is going to be just some pool work, I think a good fast treadmill workout would result in something unpleasent happening. I'm not a very big guy and I have an idea that if I hurl on one off those bodybuilders, that look a lot like a T-Rex, I'll get more workout than I want.

I'm watching fox news as I right this and they are discussing a new song for Sarah Palin called "Moose Shooting Mama". I'll have to ask my buds from the far north this one. What does one do with a dead moose, can you eat it? I would hope that people don't shoot them just to hang Bullwinkle's head on the wall.

Have a great weekend y'all.

Queezy Panda:sick:

White Castle! I would die for a fresh White Castle. We don't have them down here so I only get them when I go up North and then only when I go to certain locations.

enjoy
Duane

Hi Everyone,

Maria: I hope you get out of the slump. Biggest Loser is a great motivator, but some how I always watch it with a bowl of ice cream. Do you have any favorites yet? I'm pulling for the yellow team. They seem very nice. And of course I have to route for the gray team since they're from Boston and they really seem like they need to learn a lot about exercise and nutrition. Yikes!! The house party sounds fun. When is the party?

Dave: Yes, we all do fall off the wagon from time to time. At least you learned a valuable lesson - until the next time. Hope you feel better.

Vic: Welcome back. Yum, Boma. I've just been once, but it was good!! And since it was after the Minnie I felt justified in going up at least 4 times. (shh, it may have been 5.) Glad the training is going well.

I'm once again up in the middle of the night not able to sleep. The laundry is now folded, I've had a little snack and I've DISsed for a little while. Hopefully I'll be able to go to sleep soon. My DS3 will be up before 7 no matter how I've slept.

I had another great 18 mile run this week. I hope I'm not using up all my good runs on training runs. The cooler temps are a help for sure. The day before my last run I had a couple bowls of this new popcorn T.T. Buds. It's Kettle Corn with cheese. Yum!! I had it again before this run. Maybe the extra salt is causing me to drink more so I'm doing better with hydration. Maybe I'm just making this all up to justify a yummy treat. Either way I'll definitely be having some before my race next month.

Have a great day everyone.

Cindy

Hey Everyone,

Jeff - I love reading your posts and seeing your amazing paces. Man, you're fast - especially for someone who is 99 years old! :lmao:

Beth - I can sympathize with the Swedish fish incident. I recently had a run-in with a bag of caramels. I am so weak sometimes! :confused: Sorry to hear about your cold. I hope it goes away soon.

Howard - Good luck with the dance lessons. It sounds like fun. :banana:

Cindy - I like your idea of buying the kid food you like least. I'll have to try that. Glad to hear you had such a great 18 miles! :cheer2:

Tracey - Your DS sounds like such a sweetie, hanging back with his friend and encouraging him. You must be so proud of him! :thumbsup2

Stacie - Sorry about the 5K. :sad1:

Maria - Congrats to your DS on his first race. :cool1: The Star Wars party sounds like a lot of fun. I can't wait to hear how it goes.

Vic - We tried Boma for the first time last April. Now it's on our must-do list for every trip! :)

Dave - Sorry to hear that you're not feeling well after the cheeseburger and fries. I hope you're back to yourself soon. :goodvibes

Hi to Jeanne, Debra, Amy, and everyone else!

I ran 9 miles yesterday, which is my longest run so far. I felt really good too. Next week is 11 :scared1: . I hope it goes well as I'm doing my first race on Oct. 12. It's a half marathon and I'm definitely getting anxious.

Have a great week, everyone!

Good morning everyone.

Last night I was craving junk food, so if your going to give in you might as well go all the way to the deepest part of hell for it. I stopped on the way home for the the ultimate bottom feeder junk, I stopped at White Castle and got cheese burgers and fries. ( You have to fall off the wagon sometimes right) Anyway this morning my body is blaming me for what I did. Since I normally eat a very good diet, the junk caused a minor mutiny inside me. I won't be doing this again soon. Not till I forget how I'm feeling this morning.

This mornings workout if it happens is going to be just some pool work, I think a good fast treadmill workout would result in something unpleasent happening. I'm not a very big guy and I have an idea that if I hurl on one off those bodybuilders, that look a lot like a T-Rex, I'll get more workout than I want.

I'm watching fox news as I right this and they are discussing a new song for Sarah Palin called "Moose Shooting Mama". I'll have to ask my buds from the far north this one. What does one do with a dead moose, can you eat it? I would hope that people don't shoot them just to hang Bullwinkle's head on the wall.

Have a great weekend y'all.

Queezy Panda:sick:

I frequently laugh at your posts (the T-Rex image is wonderful). As a lifelong hunter...I have never...and I mean NEVER seen anyone take any animal (other than rodent/pest control like rats, coyotes, prairie doges etc) and not eat it. From squirrel, rabbit, pheasant, dove, deer, bear, partridge, duck, goose, I've harvested and eaten it all, or given it to other hunters or food pantries for distribution.

As far as moose, it can be very good eating. Moose are gigantic animals (up to 1500 pounds before field dressing) that can literally feed a family for a year... They are so big that you have to carry the tools to quarter them before you can transport them to butcher it.

Mike

Hi everyone! I ran the Philadelphia Distance Run (Half Marathon) today with a great group of Wishers. Here are my results:

Here are the official times from the Live results (chip time):

Splits:
10 km: 51:19 Pace: 8:16
10 Miles: 1:23:30 Pace: 8:21
Finish: 1:50:08 Pace: 8:25:cool1: :banana:

These are my Garmin times:

Time: 1:51:07 (I turned it off late and guessed)
Miles: 13.31
Pace: 8:30

Splits:
8:10
8:08
7:57
7:58
8:08
8:11
8:18
8:22
8:52
8:23
8:23
8:38
8:44
7:56

I printed out a wrist bracelet last night for pacing and set my goal to be 1:50. I missed it by only 8 seconds!!!

Overall, I BEAT MY PR in a half marathon by: 9 minutes, 25 seconds!!!! :banana: :cool1: :cheer2: :dance3: :yay: :woohoo: :thumbsup2

I pushed the pace the whole race and passed a lot of people during the run. I made only two running water stops and never stopped along the course. I am not only very happy with my results and new PR, but I am happy with my effort today. I am feeling he affects of my efforts this evening, but it is well worth it.

Next up: Marine Corps Marathon, then Philly. :thumbsup2

Have a good night!

:grouphug:

Howard

Howard!!! :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Amazing times and PR!!!!

Congratulations and thank you for sharing your successes with us:thumbsup2

Nike 5K Run for the Kids (Honolulu).

I hope I placed first for 99 year olds.
DSCN2409.jpg

24.46.99 total time, us old timer's can't run negative splits until we see the finish line. :lmao:

7:19 mile 1
7:51 mile 2
8:02 mile 3
6:13 mile .1

DSCN2411.jpg

14 minute mile with Princess #1

DSCN2430-1.jpg

DSCN2435-1.jpg

DSCN2446.jpg

I forgot to mention. The guy who won the Niketown 5K, my wife said he collapsed after crossing the finish line. She though he was "playing" with the crowd, but then the ambulance was called in.

I figure he must have hyperventilated, because when I crossed the finish line, he was sitting on the curb, being attended to by the paramedics. He was coherent, and talking, which was a good sign.

Beware of those timing chip mats. I saw lots of people trip and stumble on them in the two different locations they were placed.

Finally, during the 1 mile fun run I witnessed two kids on bikes, and one guy and his kid on a Segway. I don't know how they got on the course. That's so wrong, and dangerous. Some people just don't know how to follow rules.

Good morning meaners. I had to pop in this morning and say....

Howard: You are AWESOME :worship: :worship: :worship: Super time, super job on the race. You have so much to be proud of!!!!!!! And we are also very proud of you too!!! :goodvibes

Dave: T-Rex...:lmao: You do create some images that you do not get with regular TV....

Moose meat: Hate it, dry and yucky. Give me some buffalo any day but moose meat is icky. I also very much dislike moose season around here as no one quarters anything. They take a snowmobile trailer and flop the giant carcass on it and then parade it through town to a tagging station. It is like shooting a cow, they just stand there. I had one come out of the trees one day and wade into our pond by the house, just standing there looking around. They do tend to go through the cow fences though which is kind of a pain. Pretty much they go where they want when the want....kind of like the T-Rex...:confused3

Laughingplace: I used to get really nervous before my next longest run but I really don't anymore. It is just another long run and I either make it or I don't. No big. Keep up the great work and super good luck on your race if I don't make it back before!

Cindy: On that same token, 18 miles seems like a really long way to me. I could have done a longer loop yesterday and made it 16 but 18 seems like too far!! Of course, I have not completed my first marathon yet so that probably stands to reason. Great job!

Everyone else: Well I just don't have time to catch up. I miss you all and I do lurk to keep up. You are all tops on my list though!! :love:

From the Great North Woods where the moose roam, I ran 11.4 miles yesterday. It was supposed to be 12 but it started raining at 11.4. I did a loop that I promised myself I would do by the end of summer and being that it is the end of summer, I did it. Now I can say I did. It was very hilly and I did not push myself so I kept a pace of 10:40 but pretty consistently so which is one in the win column. Hollis Applefest half in 2 weeks and counting and we are almost at the 1 month mark for ToT. Who is excited about that???!!!! :yay: :yay: :yay:

Hi kiddos! It's Monday morning and my own kidlets have a day off school.:banana:
Stacie...Did you figure out how to get the 5k in?
Howard....:worship: :worship: WOW!:worship: :worship: Amazing time. We're so proud of you.
Cindy...I really like The Biggest Loser. I know some people don't, but I give those people so much credit for wearing spandex and going shirtless on national TV;) but more so for really trying to change their unhealthy lifestyles. We had a great time at Penzey's. I bought new spices to be ready for baking season! I love just walking in there and always find some great recipe cards. The prices are actually better than they are in the grocery store and the flavor is so much better. It's worth the trip! I'm going to look for T.T. Bud's popcorn at our grocery store. It sounds yummy!
Panda...Yum, White Castle's. They can be brutal on your system.
Jeff... You are the BEST lookin' 99 year old I've ever seen.;)
Jeanne....sorry about the "blip" in your life this week.
Maria...How awesome that you got that house party. My friend just did one for Raising the Bar. :yay: for your DS and his first 5k!:yay: I love Jillian too, but she'd make me cry as well(but as you said, "I'd be crying in my skinny jeans.")
Vic....Yum, Boma!
Julie....11 miles :cheer2: :cheer2: Go, Julie, Go, Julie!
Duane...:wave:
Lisa...hey girl!
Mike...Just the thought of quartering a moose in the wilderness makes me feel :sick: .

I went out for my 6 mile run last night and finished in 59:48. I was so :yay: :yay: :yay: ! Then when I got home, I realized that it was only (I say that relatively) 5.75. But, that's ok, it gave me more reason to justify why I need my own Garmin. We also went apple picking yesterday and had a great time....the weather has been so beautiful. I hope you all had a fantastic weekend. Stay strong!

Hey Lean Meaners!

I am back from vacation. Vacation was great, the house was awesome. Weather was crazy, went from florida like heat/humidity the first 3 days to super windy for the last 3 days. I went out for a 4.5 miler on the beach last monday in over 20 mph crosswinds! :scared1: My time was not stellar, but I finished. The winds got increasingly worse as the week went on, and by the time we left they were sustained at near weak tropical storm force (mid-high 30 mph!). Saw lots of beach erosion and there were major rip currents. So, our sitting on the beach time was really limited. :sad2: But the house had a pool, hot tub, movie room, so we had plenty to do. Got in LOTS of beer lap practice. Still trying to rehydrate. :rolleyes1:rolleyes1 My family, and DH's were there, so it made for an interesting dynamic. As much as I love vacation, I was glad to get home yesterday.

My activity was pretty good over vacation, I did get in the 4.5 miler, climbed 2 lighthouses with over 200 steps, and took several walks. Of course I fell off the eating wagon though.

I start the MfM R:W 1/2 plan this week! I am looking forward to getting back on track!

Re:Nights in Rodanthe, we stayed near this town and DH talked to someone in a shop who got to be an extra in the movie and met Richard
Gere!

Picture of the ponies on Ocracoke island. They are sort of wild, they fenced off a large area when the road was built out there in the 50's. We saw really wild horses on the way out to Cape Lookout 2 years ago when we were on the outer banks.
100_4494-1.jpg

Pic of DD on the 1 day we could sit on the beach!
IMG_4542.jpg

Hope everyone has had a good week! Will be back later to catch up and post a few more pics!

Who's Lean and Mean?!

Well, not me, but it's good to have aspirations ;)

My 5:30 am TM so did not happen. I told both ds and dh in the car this morning that I will be getting on the TM first thing when we get home. I am not going to be the homework parent tonight, dinner is already made leftover lasagna from yesterday, and anything else can wait. I am taking back my workouts! pirate: DH plans to go to the gym later tonight, so don't worry, he won't miss his workout. :rolleyes1

I'm on track with my eating today. I just have to stick with it one day, and then I'll have a track record! :thumbsup2

AmyK -- It sounds like you had a really wonderful trip. DD is adorable! I'm surprised she was willing to sit for even a minute! :cool1:

Tracey -- I wish I could watch BL every night. I think that would keep me on track :happytv: I haven't decided which team I'm rooting for yet. I think the parent/child teams have a built in advantage because at least one team member is alot younger.

Lisa -- I've never seen a moose up close and personal, but I've seen the many, many warning signs. Those are serious animals. I do not want to meet one, well, anywhere! :eek:

Jeff -- Looks like you and your princess found a great father/daughter activity! :hug:

Mike & Howard -- Please keep posting all your times and efforts. It's good to see what hard work can accomplish! :surfweb:

Cindy -- That poor gray team! It does seem like they don't have any idea what a normal portion is. It's sad to see the whole family that big, hopefully they will be able to teach what they learn and the entire clan will get healthy. :) Our House Party is Saturday afternoon. I just found out we are having an overnight guest Friday, so I'd better have everything ready. DS and I made the goody bags yesterday. I added an action figure to what Cartoon Network sent. It just seemed kind of empty without it. No Patriots Sunday (oh, my aching head! :sick: ), so I'll be able to rest afterwards.

Duane -- We don't have White Castle this far North, but I remember them from my St. Louis days. Actually, I could leave them. I never was a big fan. :confused3

Dave -- Here's how you tell when I've hit rock bottom foodwise -- I eat KFC! I don't normally eat it, about once a year I'll decide I really want it. Then an hour later I remember why I don't eat it :rolleyes1 We all have our downfalls, it's getting back up that...well, you know. :hippie:

Vic -- Boma is one of our favorites! We have ADRs the Monday after Marathon weekend. I am already looking forward to it. I ate too much last time, so this time I'm going to be more choosy, and know when to stop. ::yes::

Shout outs to Bill, Stacie, Debra, Jeanne, Kira, Wendy, Connie & Lean Lurkeeloos!

Everyone get ready for an awesome week!
Maria :cheer2:

Hi Maria, yes KFC, one of the vices of Panda Past.

When I took that 7 years off from being a healthy warrior athlete, a average afternoon snack was 2 four piece wing boxes with the potato wedgies. That or 6 hard shell tacos from taco bell.:sick:

Princess Erica is ordering another skirt for her collecion, this one with the spankies instead of the compression shorts. She has lost enouth inches that the rub isn't a big deal now. This is a big event for her.:yay:

Sorry I haven't been around much but with the blog and trying to give equal time to my wish friends and my DisneyRunning friends I stay spread pretty thin. I think it's time for an Evil Panda post.pirate:

Have a restful evening y'all.

Walking Panda:hippie:

:woohoo: Ok, that's two workouts down, way too many to count to go! I did my TM when I got home, and then popped up this morning at 5:30 to do it again. The scale is moving downward, and I am officially back on track! I plan to hit the bike when I get home today. My lunch is packed, dh is making my oatmeal, the ipod is charging, and I am in the groove!

Dave -- Congrats to Erica, that is a huge accomplishment! Someday, I hope to follow in her footsteps! :cool1:

I am so glad I've gotten to the point where if I eat a ton of junk it makes me feel awful. Believe it or not, that's progress! :thumbsup2

Tonight we are having homemade beef stew, which is going to feel great since we have a bit of Autumn in the air. It's BL night, so I should be all revved up for this week. I'm hoping for a little milestone by Friday (trust me, it's very little, just enough to say I'm making some progress). And it's almost October -- which means I up my daily wogs to 2.5. I'm eager to see how that feels over a few weeks.

Gotta get the family moving!
Maria :goodvibes

Good morning, all!
Amy....Beautiful pics! I would love to go to the Outer Banks, it looks just gorgeous. It sounds like you had a wonderful vacation. We've done "the whole family" thing before....it adds some twists and turns to your vacay, doesn't it;) .
Maria...Way to reclaim your w/o time and not just last night, but this morning too. You go, girl.:cheer2: On the Biggest Loser, I was thinking that the couples teams had the advantage because they did not have an older person. It really does motivate me.
Panda...:cheer2: for Erica and a new running skirt. That's a huge accomplishment.
I finally got in my run at 9pm last night. I had to jump off the sidewalk about
1/4 mile in to avoid a SNAKE!:scared1: After that, every time I ran by that spot, I ran really fast! I came back with a really fast time (for me) and as I started to tell DH all about it, he told me that my friend, Linda, had passed away. She is the one who has been battling pancreatic cancer. The good news is that her boys, they are 9 & 13, were able to see her and hug her and tell her that they loved her. So everyone, hug your spouse, kids, pet, parent, or whoever is important to you, and tell him/her that you love them. Life is short and it's precious.:hug: Stay healthy and strong my friends.

Tracey, you post made me :lmao: and then made me :sad1: . Yes, everyone please do hug your spouse and your kids. Your family empowers you, loves you no matter what and keeps it real for you. :grouphug:

Dave, super humongous :hug: for Erica from me. New skirt!!! WOOHOO and double WOOHOO for the lost inches. :woohoo: :woohoo:

Maria, beef stew and BL. Hmmm, how far of a drive is it for me anyway? :rolleyes1

Amy, the Outer Banks look beautiful and your DD....:cutie:

Everyone else, yep another quickie post from the fly by princess of the far north. Have a great day everyone!!!

From the Great North Woods, who mentioned moose? I saw one yesterday driving home after the field hockey game. :scared: I took a rest day yesterday and apparently I needed it. I even took a nap which is very abnormal for me. Today is a 7 mile tempo run. Oh and picture day at school for DS7 who is, as we speak, outside in the 40 degree temps playing in his sand pit. No not sand box, you forget the line of work DH is in, it is a sand pit equipped with screening plant, loaders, dump trucks, roller, excavator, bulldozer, and on ad infinitum. I think we own every piece of equipment that Tonka has ever manufactured!! Fingers crossed that he stays somewhat clean....:sad2:

Keep on rocking Meaners and :hug: all around because our friends keep us sane and give us the reasons to get out there every day!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter