Bed Height Question

Ok, how many times do I have to say it? I have never said California has a bed heights requirement, in fact I specifically said I don't think they did. But that there are other requirements and I have first hand knowledge of many of these requirements, as my work designs hotels. And no, I don't know every rule, but I do know a lot of them.
I was just pointing out to you (and confirming what you said) that I couldn't find any regulations on bed height requirements either.

ADA requires that washers and dryers can't be stacked, that wouldn't be CBC and as I said, I don't think California has anything about bed heights. But there is another code that is stricter than ADA that California uses, I can't remember it's name right now.

It's the CBC, California Building Code, chapter 11B

ADA requires that washers and dryers can't be stacked, that wouldn't be CBC and as I said, I don't think California has anything about bed heights. But there is another code that is stricter than ADA that California uses, I can't remember it's name right now.
Relatively certain this does not apply to transient living situations such as hotels, motels, etc. Home away from home is still transient. Everything I could find applies to laundry facilities in rental situations, i.e. laundry rooms.

Relatively certain this does not apply to transient living situations such as hotels, motels, etc. Home away from home is still transient. Everything I could find applies to laundry facilities in rental situations, i.e. laundry rooms.
It does apply for timeshares, they can't be stacked because the dryer would be too high. Seriously, you should see some plancheck corrections. This is indeed one that I do know.

My favorite was on two story town homes the upstairs bathroom had to be fully ADA compliant even though there was pyshically no way to get a wheelchair up there without carrying it up stairs. Believe me, things apply that you might not think should.

I did a search but didn't see anything recent--last weekend I stayed in an accessible room at the Disneyland hotel that had two Queen beds. When we checked in we were surprised to find that both beds were very high--like they would be in a regular room--even though it clearly was otherwise an accessible room. I called down to the front desk and after getting transferred a couple of times spoke with someone who said they would remove part of the bed (we only needed one lower) to make it an accessible height. It was done by the time we came back that night after dinner.

Is this normal? If a room is designated as "accessible" why wouldn't the bed be at a height that could be used by a handicapped person?

I am now wondering what will happen when we will soon be going to Saratoga Springs and have an accessible studio--will we have to have the resort make changes to the bed after checking in there too?

I have to admit that the recent trend towards high beds is distressing to me as it makes it harder for "other abled" people.

What are others' experiences (especially at SSR)?

I haven't stayed at SSR, but I have stayed at other WDW Moderate and Deluxe Resorts in roll-in shower rooms, and all of them (so far!) have had what I consider to be a "regular" level bed. Here's some pictures from our last stay at POFQ where I pretty much measured *everything* that stood still (and maybe a couple of things that didn't LOL)

Hope this is a little helpful :)

I haven't stayed at SSR, but I have stayed at other WDW Moderate and Deluxe Resorts in roll-in shower rooms, and all of them (so far!) have had what I consider to be a "regular" level bed. Here's some pictures from our last stay at POFQ where I pretty much measured *everything* that stood still (and maybe a couple of things that didn't LOL)

Hope this is a little helpful :)
Wow, I hope you were able to use an app to help with taking those measurements, otherwise that must have taken some time.

On a side note, I love how accurate some of the measuring apps have become. I have found some accurate to within 1/32", which I think is very impressive with nothing more than a cell phone camera.

Wow, I hope you were able to use an app to help with taking those measurements, otherwise that must have taken some time.

On a side note, I love how accurate some of the measuring apps have become. I have found some accurate to within 1/32", which I think is very impressive with nothing more than a cell phone camera.

LOL Thanks - we (my adult daughter and I) did that really quickly right after we checked in on our last POFQ trip - we took the pictures and then wrote the measurements on the back of an envelope I had in my purse. I used Skitch on my MacBook Pro to create the pictures posted in that thread. All of those measurements and pictures, and there were *still* some I missed (but I'm not telling which ones!) :)

I love the new "Measurements" app in my iPhone; I was demoing that same app earlier today to a friend who just got a new iPad. He was fascinated by the idea that you could just point your camera at something, and it was measured so accurately! LOL I might try that on our next stay (we are hoping for an AK stay in our future) but bring along the tape measure to compare for accuracy.

LOL Thanks - we (my adult daughter and I) did that really quickly right after we checked in on our last POFQ trip - we took the pictures and then wrote the measurements on the back of an envelope I had in my purse. I used Skitch on my MacBook Pro to create the pictures posted in that thread. All of those measurements and pictures, and there were *still* some I missed (but I'm not telling which ones!) :)

I love the new "Measurements" app in my iPhone; I was demoing that same app earlier today to a friend who just got a new iPad. He was fascinated by the idea that you could just point your camera at something, and it was measured so accurately! LOL I might try that on our next stay (we are hoping for an AK stay in our future) but bring along the tape measure to compare for accuracy.
Also check out an app called Magic Plan. You do have to calibrate it, but it is pretty cool and accurate.

I did a search but didn't see anything recent--last weekend I stayed in an accessible room at the Disneyland hotel that had two Queen beds. When we checked in we were surprised to find that both beds were very high--like they would be in a regular room--even though it clearly was otherwise an accessible room. I called down to the front desk and after getting transferred a couple of times spoke with someone who said they would remove part of the bed (we only needed one lower) to make it an accessible height. It was done by the time we came back that night after dinner.

Is this normal? If a room is designated as "accessible" why wouldn't the bed be at a height that could be used by a handicapped person?

I am now wondering what will happen when we will soon be going to Saratoga Springs and have an accessible studio--will we have to have the resort make changes to the bed after checking in there too?

I have to admit that the recent trend towards high beds is distressing to me as it makes it harder for "other abled" people.

What are others' experiences (especially at SSR)?

Accessible doesn't always mean "lower" - think toilets :) I love the higher toilets! When my leg is acting up, they are a life saver. Lower beds would be very difficult for me if my leg was giving me a hard time!

So in short while the room is deemed as accessible and by California law is required to be, it does not meet the minimum requirements to be considered an ADA room in California, even though it may qualify under federal laws, California is much stricter.

Could you please explain this statement you made, because it seems to contradict itself? You say something is accessible, and then say it isn't?

I don't believe anyone said that every accessible room has to have a roll-in shower? CMWade was observing the many ways in which the "accessible" Grand Villa is not really fully accessible. I could probably get by with an ADA-compliant tub that has grab bars, etc.--my issue is the bed height as I am short and after numerous surgeries not as spry as I used to be. I have e-mailed Disability Services at WDW to try to get info about the accessible SSR room and I also e-mailed Disability Services at Disneyland Resort to lodge a complaint about my experience last weekend with the bed height (acknowledging that they fixed it--but it shouldn't have been required to be fixed int he first place.)

What I'm not getting is why everyone thinks "accessible" means "lower". For example, if I got an accessible room, and the bed was low, I'd have to ask them to raise it, as a low bed wouldn't necessarily be accessible to me. Since it seems the bed heights can be altered upon request, I'm not sure what the issue is? If the bed isn't a good height, ask for it to be adjusted and it's done, from all the info that's been given here.

I totally understand that a toilet or bed height is different for a person who does a slide transfer vs one who pushes up is different issue. I hate when people make this an issue.

I totally understand that a toilet or bed height is different for a person who does a slide transfer vs one who pushes up is different issue. I hate when people make this an issue.
But it is good to know they can adjust the height to a certain degree.

But it is good to know they can adjust the height to a certain degree.
Typically this is done by removing the bed frame and placing the mattress and box spring directly on the floor. As I indicated earlier, one Las Vegas hotel swapped out the new, thicker mattress in my room with a recently-removed one.

Yes, do a dehree, but nobody should get the impression that the bed height is mechanically adjustable.

Two stays in three different studios at OKW, all accessible rooms: first room one night standard height bed; remainder of that stsy in an accessible studio with a low bed; subsequent trip accessible room standard height bed which Maintenance took apart to lower the mattress enough.

I think that we have lost track of the original intent of the post...

"low bed" vs "high bed" is kind of subjective. And "higher" toilets are supposed to be at the (average) height of a wheelchair seat for transfer purposes. But again, "higher" is kind of subjective. Knowing *exactly* what height the bed and toilet are can be a make-or-break deal for some folks.

That's why measurements are important and why we have an entire thread here dedicated to that topic. Admittedly, we've (corporately) gotten a bit lax about posting measurements, but maybe this is a good reminder for all of us - any time any of us stay in an HA designated room at WDW, let's try to add a quick post, with (minimally) the toilet height from the floor, and the height from the floor to the top of the mattress. (Anything else will be considered "bonus" material, and you get my undying gratitude for your efforts! :upsidedow )

Yes, it means bringing along a tape measure, but think of how many people it can help! :)

Being 4'10", I kind of feel like a beached whale when I try to get on the super high beds. It's like "Uh... this comes up to my chest..." (perhaps a slight exaggeration.)

Being 4'10", I kind of feel like a beached whale when I try to get on the super high beds. It's like "Uh... this comes up to my chest..." (perhaps a slight exaggeration.)
I'm 5'5" and I've felt the same way about the beds at some friends' homes. I felt like I needed a ladder to get up there.

It seems like the trend now (in homes) is to have much lower platform beds. I have a platform bed in each of our homes. One is a lot lower, but I can still get out of it - for now at least. It is extremely difficult for me to get up from a 19-20" toilet (standard for handicap stall). I can do it most of the time, but it can take 3-4 tries.

It would be great if hotels just made adjustable beds - not sure how they could do it with the Murphy bed they are so fond of right now, but the other bed could have adjustable rails that a CM could raise or lower? The bed in my daughter's room and the one I sleep on have three settings for height. Not sure why all hotels couldn't do the same.

Do you trust hotel guests to not mess with the mechanisms, not break the bed? I would think adjustable height beds are much more expensive than standard beds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter