Bed Height Question

Is the stovetop lower in a DVC unit with a kitchen? I love to cook, but one of my biggest frustrations at home is not being able to see what I am cooking because of the height of the range. I'd come to WDW just to cook for a week if it were easier. (well maybe).

At home I now have a lower table where I use a food processor, mini Instant Pot, and cutting board. I can do lots of prep work and then my DH helps me with the stove stuff. Although I've been known to use a mirror to look into the pot I am cooking.

It's also difficult for me to safely put things in the oven. My solution there is to use a toaster oven on the counter with small pans/sheets. Since I've only cooking for 2 it works.

This is all relatively new to me, but I still consider myself blessed. At my age (turning 73 this year) I've lost so many friends and others have far more serious issues like dementia,vision or hearing loss. I'm just working on how to adapt - not really complaining. My life is still good.

But your solutions are smart - and safe! We just recently got our first countertop convection oven, and learning to use it has been fun, although I was kind of cautious at first; I didn't want to burn anything in the new oven! All of our kitchen and bathroom counters are too high for me when I am seated, so we have been looking at what our options are. It may be time for a kitchen and bathroom remodel.

In Sue' picture above, it looks to be the same height as the counter - which is marked as 33.5" high.
The top of the stove is the same height as the counter top. I don’t know if having the roll-under counter space next to the stove would make a difference in ability to see into the things being cooked, but possibly it might. My daughter doesn’t do any of the cooking, so we didn’t test anything out.

Not the same as a stove, but there is a countertop microwave. The island with the open shelves has a little lower counter (I didn’t measure) and does have outlets on each end. The counter there is not regular counter depth, but we did put the coffee maker and toaster there, so I know it’s deep enough for using those.

I’ve got more pictures and will need to see if some more are small enough or I have to make them small enough to post.

I truly am glad and grateful, and yes - hopeful - that you took time from your vacation to educate that manager! Thank you again :)
Mamabunny I was happy to take the time--like you mentioned I don't think designers, managers, housekeepers etc. "get it" unless they or someone close to them have accessibility issues and they've lived it with them. I know when I started using an ECV my close Disney friends had NO idea the trials and tribulations an ECV/wheelchair user goes through in the parks--from people walking/stopping in front of you to issues getting on rides, etc.

We have two homes - one in Arkansas and one in New Orleans. On our recent New Orleans residency I realized that our bed is not that high. We have a relatively low mattress on a low platform. It takes more for me to get up, but I can do it. But the wood flooring is slick. I found that I need to have non-slip socks on to be safe. So I think I can get by at Disney.

We are now back in Arkansas for a week or two. We have wood floors here but they are "hand scraped" whatever that means - but they do have more traction. Our bed (also a platform with the same mattress) is much higher because of the storage underneath. But my shower is far more accessible in New Orleans.

It's always something with mobility issues. You can never assume anything.

Does any one know about beds at POP? Last year stayed at wheelchair accessible and bed was too low. Reservations for August, 2019. Asked to have bed raised and said it can't be done. Asked to change room (have bounce back offer) and told me, it would cost me an additional $1,600. Any suggestions? (Last year eve e time I tried to get up, two people actually had to lift me into a standing position. I calleð guest services realizing that while I use wheelchair and ecv, my knees no longer work, they said the back office of front desk would help. But they are the ones tha t said it was too early to change, then called as they suggested the reservation number and that is,where they want another $1,600

I'm not sure the Pop beds can be changed. They're platform beds, and while the legs are detachable technically, I don't know that Pop has interchangeable legs - especially not to raise the mattress height.

Does any one know about beds at POP? Last year stayed at wheelchair accessible and bed was too low. Reservations for August, 2019. Asked to have bed raised and said it can't be done. Asked to change room (have bounce back offer) and told me, it would cost me an additional $1,600. Any suggestions? (Last year eve e time I tried to get up, two people actually had to lift me into a standing position. I calleð guest services realizing that while I use wheelchair and ecv, my knees no longer work, they said the back office of front desk would help. But they are the ones tha t said it was too early to change, then called as they suggested the reservation number and that is,where they want another $1,600
The accessible rooms need to meet ADA requirements for bed height, which was set in the 2010 Guidelines.
The recommended bed height for accessibility is between 20 to 23 inches from the floor to top of the mattress.

If you have an accessible room, that is the height the beds will be. I don’t know if the can be raised or not.

I'm not sure the Pop beds can be changed. They're platform beds, and while the legs are detachable technically, I don't know that Pop has interchangeable legs - especially not to raise the mattress height.

How about asking for an extra mattress to be put on top?

How about asking for an extra mattress to be put on top?
According to this https://**************.net/2017/07/22/photo-tour-of-a-refurbed-room-at-disneys-pop-century-resort/ site, the platform is 14.5" from the floor, and the mattress is 12". Add in even just 1/2" for the platform itself, and you're at 26 inches. Another mattress would raise the sleeping surface another foot, making it over three feet high.

... I use wheelchair and ecv...

The beds in my room at Pop Century are usually about 24". My wheelchair seat is 22" and I think that's about normal. The toilet seats are around 18" if I recall correctly. How do you handle getting up from your wheelchair or the toilet? Maybe you could use those methods to assist you in getting up from the bed?

The beds in my room at Pop Century are usually about 24". My wheelchair seat is 22" and I think that's about normal. The toilet seats are around 18" if I recall correctly. How do you handle getting up from your wheelchair or the toilet? Maybe you could use those methods to assist you in getting up from the bed?
My Whill Ci power chair is a couple of inches higher than my manual wheelchair. I have great difficulty getting out of the manual chair, but I can eventually do it. I can no longer get up from a toilet (even the higher ones) so I have a 5" seat extender (Amazon) that works well. I'll take it with me to WDW on our next trip.

I recently bought a 4" cushion (Walmart online) that is firm enough not to squish down. It just came yesterday, but I am hoping that this now allows me to sit in a chair that I've had trouble getting out of. I think it could also work with sliding it under me in a lower bed - but I haven't tried that yet.

Thanks for the replies. My problem is I have RA and without too much info, went 7 yrs without diagnosis, and have permanent damage. In addition both of my wrists are and have been dislocated for years! (No medical insurance \but have now. I'm one of the people that unfortunately fell thru the cracks of our system.)I currently sit in a chair with 4" bed risers and my bed has mattress and box spring and same kind of bed risers. I'm hoping when we arrive the front desk will exchange our room for one with at least a regular height bed. Getting up from chair,bed and toilet isn't "easy" at all.

It shouldn't cost $1600 or anything close, even if getting a 25" high bed puts you in another category, unless you're staying for a month. If it happens again, question it.

Thanks. Bounce back offer was the free dining and now Disney says we have to pay that 1,600 for dining (3 Disney adults), since promotion isn't available any more.

If you still have your original reservation, call back and ask to have your situation escalated to Guest Services.

I guess I don't understand what they are or would be doing for you that changes your resevation so dramatically.

Disney Pop Century Resort Queen Bed Height Measurements

~1'-8.1" h Queen bed mattress height to floor [~20-1/4"]

9" h Queen bed platform height to floor

6" h Underneath space of Queen bed platform height to floor

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter