Bed Height Question

We stayed at the Grand Floridian last year in a handicap accessible room (w/roll in shower) and I felt the beds were pretty high but probably what is now considered the norm. I was told the room would have one standard height bed and one lowered bed (it did not), we made it work and I didn’t even think to ask if they could lower the bed but it’s good to know that might be an option next time. We did ask for a stool for my mother who is short and couldn’t get on the bed without a step of some kind, they did bringing us a step stool but next time she might travel with her own!

I do have a foldable stepstool which I bring with when I travel locally—but it is only three inches and if in a room with a bed at a height of 30” it doesn’t help much. The Grand Californian has a step stool which are meant for kids to use at the bathroom sink but it is very narrow and I would be scared to try using it in the middle of the night. Animal Kingdom Lodge took out the bed frame for me last year-I watched them do it and it was quite a production. I emailed Disabilty services last week and got a call yesterday (on Easter!) from a nice lady who said she had checked with SSR and the accessible rooms have lower beds—so we will see!!!

Before I started asking for a roll-in shower room at Pop Century Resort, I also had a difficult time getting out of the taller beds.

At first they offered a metal stool, then last year they offered a metal stool with a built-in handle.

I could move the stool standing up and and could use the handle on the stool to hold onto to get up into the bed and to get out of the bed.

With the newer rooms, but floors no longer had carpeting for my foot to catch on to and I would slip getting out of bed.

Ask the front desk for one of these stools the next time that you arrive.

yhrqwWkMv9FV5330tql7NvC73lnku3hwlOlz44t1tHSzKRSTP0i1j1TSkOsc6IgDLXSi2ip2HKfyuNokDRm8X-r0lfuSTLZJI7j-yu3HmwZqLXnBoUt9yOKj_sdl21wuUZgTMSdfFWAY0N0IH4ysVQ94zyMUBEBk4HOkzLSb4YfY-7AHxvbdyafmH55-A-d9FfzqXO3wzkG2OzHhtlNU5YPkVgwHZQuTjp-29UPZfHaKVgoKs1cf8iEAT9e-9PEm0zu_iUssjHe9ovwaeZRqX708_aFCPRCQuz_xOuZEq6eAlSu_BGTm-6nYvfYzbDIAi_lNKQh2nBZ5FQp3yCljyqINqZaGmu2uIyFXfZwiCBL_20x5U7yVlFNpi4rD8mtu2y-51lkZfdHAfQp_oMJysrBASnq05uPRQWOx6444NZXMETLdQgDiRXbRyHzuxUSC9T6KnnOcqnQ3KqOxJULF2_uTdcFypyzeQ3oYaY4P-e96fwyCNZr-nDCl1Qid0y48sA0HVhgTwU_vWNByMP0AHF3T-VnT-VvuI3z43M1TE7_-B228JT5kO3wcPGtujz0khys1ZtspNQ9RGQVPYY7o3nKXlU2beFhhvdO-jFQgvy8H-NB-oziF8sF9HS4soIeFkjiPCLnRMAitdUHj-gq_u7h7TDlrUcw=w318-h500-no

Do you trust hotel guests to not mess with the mechanisms, not break the bed? I would think adjustable height beds are much more expensive than standard beds.

Mechanisms? There are three slots to adjust the bed rails. If the bed breaks, it wouldn't be because of the position of the rail. It's a regular bed. If I have time, I'll take a photo of the rail slots.

Before I started asking for a roll-in shower room at Pop Century Resort, I also had a difficult time getting out of the taller beds.

At first they offered a metal stool, then last year they offered a metal stool with a built-in handle.

I could move the stool standing up and and could use the handle on the stool to hold onto to get up into the bed and to get out of the bed.

With the newer rooms, but floors no longer had carpeting for my foot to catch on to and I would slip getting out of bed.

Ask the front desk for one of these stools the next time that you arrive.

yhrqwWkMv9FV5330tql7NvC73lnku3hwlOlz44t1tHSzKRSTP0i1j1TSkOsc6IgDLXSi2ip2HKfyuNokDRm8X-r0lfuSTLZJI7j-yu3HmwZqLXnBoUt9yOKj_sdl21wuUZgTMSdfFWAY0N0IH4ysVQ94zyMUBEBk4HOkzLSb4YfY-7AHxvbdyafmH55-A-d9FfzqXO3wzkG2OzHhtlNU5YPkVgwHZQuTjp-29UPZfHaKVgoKs1cf8iEAT9e-9PEm0zu_iUssjHe9ovwaeZRqX708_aFCPRCQuz_xOuZEq6eAlSu_BGTm-6nYvfYzbDIAi_lNKQh2nBZ5FQp3yCljyqINqZaGmu2uIyFXfZwiCBL_20x5U7yVlFNpi4rD8mtu2y-51lkZfdHAfQp_oMJysrBASnq05uPRQWOx6444NZXMETLdQgDiRXbRyHzuxUSC9T6KnnOcqnQ3KqOxJULF2_uTdcFypyzeQ3oYaY4P-e96fwyCNZr-nDCl1Qid0y48sA0HVhgTwU_vWNByMP0AHF3T-VnT-VvuI3z43M1TE7_-B228JT5kO3wcPGtujz0khys1ZtspNQ9RGQVPYY7o3nKXlU2beFhhvdO-jFQgvy8H-NB-oziF8sF9HS4soIeFkjiPCLnRMAitdUHj-gq_u7h7TDlrUcw=w318-h500-no

I have one at home. They have not offered these to me when I have asked. Maybe they are not at all resorts?

I have one at home. They have not offered these to me when I have asked. Maybe they are not at all resorts?

I know, right? I was never offered one of these before until I explained about having trouble not being able to hold onto anything in the new resort room when getting out of the bed and slipping on the floor.

Maybe they have both kinds and maybe if you specify the one with the handle they might have one now.

Rooms with the roll-in showers will likely have the "lower" beds to begin with.

I try not to set expectations regarding "accessories" like the step stools, because not every Resort is identically equipped in my experience.

*If* you happen to arrive, and find that the bed is too high, I strongly recommend going straight to the front desk (don't call from the room phone - it goes to a call center, not the front desk) and explaining why you need a lower bed. Let then know it's a "safety issue" - it's certainly not a lie; I don't think Disney wants a Guest to be injured trying to get in or out of bed. :)

I try not to set expectations regarding "accessories" like the step stools, because not every Resort is identically equipped in my experience.

*If* you happen to arrive, and find that the bed is too high, I strongly recommend going straight to the front desk (don't call from the room phone - it goes to a call center, not the front desk) and explaining why you need a lower bed. Let then know it's a "safety issue" - it's certainly not a lie; I don't think Disney wants a Guest to be injured trying to get in or out of bed. :)

Hi, mamabunny.

I agree with everything you said.

That is what I did when I was at Pop. The bed was really high and they brought me a regular step stool and a chair for the bathtub. I was in my usual standard room with my mobility scooter. But my balance and foot neuropathy had gotten worse over the years.

When I went down and told them that I slipped getting out the bed the next morning and slid down to the floor, they brought me a stool with a hand handle to hold onto and said that I would be better off in a roll-in shower room for tomorrow.

I felt like I was in a slow-motion movie as I slid down to the floor. I didn't have anything to grab onto and my bare feet were sliding on the smooth floor. No carpeting. It took me such a long time to figure how to get up since I didn't have anything high enough to get a good grip on to help me get up on my left knee. But I finally did after about 30-minutes.

That is one of my biggest fears is falling down and not being able to get up by myself.

And it has always been so embarrassing when strangers try to help me get up even though I am always very appreciative.

When I transferred the next day, I took the stool with a hand handle and the bath chair with me.

I was so surprised that the bed was low and just right for me to get in and out without needing the stool with a hand handle and they took it back for me.

I had never used a roll-in shower before and I asked if I could keep the chair to put in the shower because I thought the fold down seat might not hold me.

On a side note, the photo in the Disability Room and Measurements post of the Pop roll-in shower with a chair in it was a photo taken from my room report. Sorry about that. I think that I saw where you and Bill was wondering why they would put a chair in the roll-in shower. I was new to posting about handicap rooms and didn't think about removing the chair.

Anyway, after a couple of days, I got more comfortable with the fold down mesh shower seat and I had them remove the shower chair.

Ever since then I will be staying in the roll-in shower room at Pop if available.

I really like the Murphy bed folded up and creating a table next to my bed. So convenient and so much room for me and my wheelchair.

I'll be staying at BWV using a roll-in shower for the first time. I hope to get measurement at both.

Last edited:
That is one of my biggest fears is falling down and not being able to get up by myself.

And it has always been so embarrassing when strangers try to help me get up even though I am always very appreciative.

Do you travel alone?

Exactly, make it abundantly clear when it is a safety issue, but my experience has been that calling usually gets faster results than going to the front desk, but not always.

Exactly, make it abundantly clear when it is a safety issue, but my experience has been that calling usually gets faster results than going to the front desk, but not always.

LOL we have always gotten better, faster results going directly to the front desk; that's why I recommend it! :)

Last edited:
Hi, mamabunny.

I agree with everything you said.

That is what I did when I was at Pop. The bed was really high and they brought me a regular step stool and a chair for the bathtub. I was in my usual standard room with my mobility scooter. But my balance and foot neuropathy had gotten worse over the years.

When I went down and told them that I slipped getting out the bed the next morning and slid down to the floor, they brought me a stool with a hand handle to hold onto and said that I would be better off in a roll-in shower room for tomorrow.

I felt like I was in a slow-motion movie as I slid down to the floor. I didn't have anything to grab onto and my bare feet were sliding on the smooth floor. No carpeting. It took me such a long time to figure how to get up since I didn't have anything high enough to get a good grip on to help me get up on my left knee. But I finally did after about 30-minutes.

When I transferred the next day, I took the stool with a hand handle and the bath chair with me.

I was so surprised that the bed was low and just right for me to get in and out without needing the stool with a hand handle and they took it back for me.

I had never used a roll-in shower before and I asked if I could keep the chair to put in the shower because I thought the fold down seat might not hold me.

On a side note, the photo in the Disability Room and Measurements post of the Pop roll-in shower with a chair in it was a photo taken from my room report. Sorry about that. I think that I saw where you and Bill was wondering why they would put a chair in the roll-in shower. I was new to posting about handicap rooms and didn't think about removing the chair.

Anyway, after a couple of days, I got more comfortable with the fold down mesh shower seat and I had them remove the shower chair.

Ever since then I will be staying in the roll-in shower room at Pop if available.

I really like the Murphy bed folded up and creating a table next to my bed. So convenient and so much room for me and my wheelchair.

I'll be staying at BWV using a roll-in shower for the first time. I hope to get measurement at both.

Ray! OMG I am so sorry that happened to you!

I haven't stayed in a non-HARIS room in so long now that I haven't had an experience like yours - but when we drive down, we do wind up staying in an older hotel, where our family has stayed for *years* (we know everyone there, including the GM - who we first met when she was our housekeeper 20 years ago!) that has high beds. Our favorite room there is on the first floor, and so I have "grandfathered" one night into our travel plans for years now, just so that we can stay there, and have a lovely breakfast in the morning before we head on down the road. The GM has had the housekeepers just let 2 of the step stools with handles in the closet for years - our adult daughter (my most frequent travel companion) is so short that she needs help getting up on those high beds as well! I've heard that there's another family that requests that room now because they have an altitude-impaired family member as well LOL. That hotel still has carpeted floors (for now)

In fact, I just called her to book a room - our daughter has surprised me with a trip in 2 weeks (Happy Mothers Day to me - I have the best kid ever!) and we will be back at POFQ :)

Remember, if it's rainy to leave a towel on the floor inside your door at POP to "wipe" your wheels on as you come in! :)

Ray - if you fall again please just call 911. The fire department will have you up in minutes. It’s part of their job. They are happy to do it.

I had to do this a couple of times with my dad as neither my sister or I could get him up if he fell.

Just recently I was home alone and slipped getting out of bed. I tried everything for about 45 minutes to try to get up. Then I gave up and called 911. They were there in 5 minutes, easily lifted me up (they are trained to do this) and were gone a minute or two later.

Ray - if you fall again please just call 911. The fire department will have you up in minutes. It’s part of their job. They are happy to do it.

I had to do this a couple of times with my dad as neither my sister or I could get him up if he fell.

Just recently I was home alone and slipped getting out of bed. I tried everything for about 45 minutes to try to get up. Then I gave up and called 911. They were there in 5 minutes, easily lifted me up (they are trained to do this) and were gone a minute or two later.
Yep and around here (Long Beach, CA) they won't charge you for the service unless they have to take you to the hospital, I know some areas aren't as lucky though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter