Best walking shoes?

DisneyDreamer1229

Earning My Ears
So I am curious as to what type of shoes you all take to the parks with you? I've been trying to research some comfortable walking shoes, and I have recently purchased a pair of the Skechers GoWalk 2 shoes, but I am not sure how well they will hold up if I'm spending 9 hours or so in the parks for a week. Is there a different brand/type you would recommend, or has anyone worn these shoes and can speak for their durability and comfort?

Thank you!!!

I love my GoWalks for quick errands and stuff, but they don't give me enough support for all day in the parks. I like my Asics Kayanos and Saucony Hurricanes. I use those for my morning walks, and they are supportive for walking all day . I also like my Keen sandals (whisper or Venice H2). I try to switch between sneakers and sandals during the day. Switching shoes seem to keep my feet from feeling so fatigued.

I would also suggest some good moisture wicking socks. Good socks really help prevent blisters and keep your feet dry.

I'm editing this to add--make sure your shoes are well broken in before your trip! That will make a big difference! :)

I think it's all a personal choice. I wear crocs, last year my sister convinced me to use go walk at WDW, I did not make it 4 hours, and I practiced at home. I have tried sandles, sneakers, everything, to me it is crocs and only crocs.

Bernie Mevs. I discovered them a few years ago, and now I won't wear anything else in the parks. I most often wear the comfi (open toe) or Cuddly (closed toe) styles in the park. I can walk from open to close and my feet aren't even tired at the end of the day. The only thing with them is that you don't want to wear a brand new pair for the first time- the shoes conform to your foot so you need to wear them at least 2 or 3 hours on another day first to get them perfect. Otherwise they will feel too tight on your feet after several hours if you try to wear them and walk in them for 10 or 12 hours the first day!

I have go walks 2's with laces and without. The ones without laces are wonderful for every day wear, but I would not wear them for a day at Disney. I actually wore them to fly to DW in January and by the end of the day (we went to DTD when we arrived), I had a blister on my little toe.

For me, the lace up kind of Go Walks work to wear to the parks. I have the kind with the yoga mat insole and they aren't as supportive as my Asics but I can get away with switching between the two every day (the type of Asic will depend on your individual foot, pronation, etc). I personally love the Asic brand and I'm pretty loyal to them. However, all the high end running shoe companies have loyal followers who feel the same about them too.

I use both Merrells and Tevas.. I Have two Merrells.. one runners and one open toed sandals.. the Tevas are opened toed ... they are lightweight and very supportive.. I have back and hip problems and can get through a day at the parks with out pain and discomfort like I used too..

I LOVE my Go Walks (with laces) They are my go-to park shoes. I also bought a pair of skechers sneakers with memory foam for our trip last September and those were great too.

As a marathon runner I find recommending a particular shoe brand to others difficult because what may work for me may not work for you. You may not be running a marathon but if you are like me you can also log a lot of miles just walking around the parks. It was a long process for me to find the correct type of shoe that works best for me for running my races and they also turned out to work well walking around the parks. Nevertheless what I discovered was visiting your local running store (not those big chain shoe stores in the mall) and tell them you are looking for a good walking shoe. A good running store will spend time with you and determine your walking style and recommend a several options. My local running store lets me try on new shoes and take them for a quick run around the block (no large chain shoe store will let you do that). I know this might be a bit much just to find a good pair of walking shoes but I just had to chime in.

Thanks for all of the great show advice! My Go Walks are without laces, and I have been wearing them over the past week, while they are comfy, I wasn't sure if they would hold up for park walking.

Now to hit the web, you've given me lots of new information to research!!

I think my GoWalks were perfect this past December...two full park days including the holiday tour. In the summer I love my crocs capri flip flops.

I walked 17 miles last trip in my go walks 2 and while my feet were fatigued, they did not have blisters or anything like that. =) I also have clarks bendables mary janes that are super comfortable.

I live and die by New Balance. I always bring two pair to a Disney park: runners and trainers. I'll wear the runners for a few days because of the supreme cushion they have. Then I'll switch to the trainers that still have cushion but have better support. Make a huge difference when you switch shoes mid-trip.

AS previous poster mentioned. A serious running store can do an analysis on you and find the proper footware. They observe you on a treadmill (Just for a minute) or walking at the store.

DO not wear crocks or flip flops...

Keens are nice as they dry our for rain or water rides... However they are not for everyone.

I have worn crocs AND flip flops for full days at the park and never had any issues. I think it really just depends on the person. I do wear socks with my crocs so that I don't get blisters (easy to take the socks on and off for water rides!). I go to the park weekly and crocs are seriously super comfy and great for water rides as well. I actually bought mine at the park ;) They have little Mickey heads all over them

I love flip flops! I have a few favorites I take and switch out daily (and to match outfits! :flower:) I love my croc flip flops and also my Sanuk's , which I do not recommend of water rides as they take a while to dry! No blisters, no overly sore feet. I would recommend taking at least 2 pair just in case!

Have a magical time!

As I said personal choice, but I would never tell you what not to wear. Because you need to wear what works for you. I do crocs, 20 years, yearly, twice a year, and three times a year visits. I have done 14 days WDW, and 8 days DL, going 8 days DL next months. Crocs work for me. I have tried go walk, new balance, dr schools in the past, and a $200 pair of running shoes, all caused blisters, and once the blister starts it is there the whole trip and it is hurting the hole trip. I always try to start walking three miles a day a month or two before I go to Disney. I would find the pair of shoes you think would work and then walk three miles a day in them on concrete, and see if they work for you. In this family we all use a different type of shoe and swear by it. Actually several of us swear by crocks in the park, but others use go walk, or new balance, or just sandles. It is what works for you.

Also, I will second the person who says a good pair of socks is the best. I take three pair of socks for each day, and no I don't have sweaty feet usually. I need to change them if they get wet from rain, rides, or sweat. I change then at least twice a day and sometimes more. If I keep my feet dry especially after splash mountain and grizzly run than I have less trouble.

I love flip flops! I have a few favorites I take and switch out daily (and to match outfits! :flower:) I love my croc flip flops and also my Sanuk's , which I do not recommend of water rides as they take a while to dry! No blisters, no overly sore feet. I would recommend taking at least 2 pair just in case!

Have a magical time!

I agree! I usually wear just flip flops or my Sanuk Yoga Sling 2 and the only time I have ever had any issues was last month when I tried to wear them after a few months of not wearing flip flops! I find I need a few weeks to break my feet in after the winter. :)

I switch out shoes frequently but my favorite park shoes are Teva Tirras, in fact, I have two different colors to switch between.

I also found that the lace up Go Walks are much more supportive and comfortable than the slip on versions.

I don't wear flip flips to the parks anymore since getting a foot run over by a stroller (and losing a toenail, as a result), but, before that, I wore Sanuk Yoga mats and Montrail Molokai. Very comfy, but don't wear the Sanuks on a day when you will be getting your shoes wet because they get a weird soapy substance coming out of the yoga mat.

I also do take a good pair of running shoes as my last resort back up. As others suggested that requires going to a running store to be fitted.

So much to think about, thank you all for the replies ::MickeyMo Guess I'll be locating a running store near by to see what they might offer up.

Like other posters have said, what works for one person may not work for another. Personally I would never wear crocs or flip flops, my feet would be dead within an hour, but for others it may work just fine. I love my Go Walks, but again, wouldn't wear them in the parks. I'm an ASICS guy personally. One thing I would say is don't go cheap. There's a reason shoes at Payless shoe source cost 20 bucks or less. Do plenty of research, find what will work best for you, and definitely break them in before you get there, otherwise you are likely to be in blister city. Most of all, have a great time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter