Best walking shoes?

Asics GT 2000's. Best shoes ever. I went 7 days straight morning to night on the hard pavement at WDW/Universal a year and a half ago... no blisters or soreness at all. It was amazing.

I am a RN in a large hospital and wear them 3 nights a week for 12 hour shifts mostly on my feet, I never have pain. They ROCK!

While the shoes are important, I wear Rockports, I find that the socks are even more important. You want to be wearing moisture wicking athletic socks with cushioning. These are available at any sporting goods store and many department stores. I know a lot of people swear by flip flops and sandals but how will those hold up to a stroller rolling over your foot in a crowd or a 400 pound guest stepping on your foot? What about sunburn on the top of your feet?

I'm telling you that socks are the key.

I live and die by New Balance. I always bring two pair to a Disney park: runners and trainers. I'll wear the runners for a few days because of the supreme cushion they have. Then I'll switch to the trainers that still have cushion but have better support. Make a huge difference when you switch shoes mid-trip.

another new balance fan here! I purchase the 'higher' number styles, then pull out the inner sole and put in my own footpad that has better orthotic support. Switch them out every other day with keen sandals. I do bring a pair of croc dressier slide type to change into in the evening for dinner etc. when at the parks.

I just bought a pair of J-41 sandals too! I found them at Costco, and they fit great. So now will start breaking them in for our summer trip. I absolutely cannot wear socks and running shoes in the summer. My feet get so hot and sweaty, I get blisters almost immediately. I've walked for miles at DW wearing a pair of leather Taos sandals with no backs, and had no foot issues whatsoever. Sadly I left that pair behind at a B&B in Barcelona two years ago (sob). I also have a pair of Columbia slip on sandals that I've worn to Hawaii, Florida, San Diego, etc. and they are great. We're driving this year so I can take extra sandals as back ups and switch things up. The most important thing for me is that my feet can breathe.

I just bought a pair of J-41 sandals too! I found them at Costco, and they fit great. So now will start breaking them in for our summer trip. I absolutely cannot wear socks and running shoes in the summer. My feet get so hot and sweaty, I get blisters almost immediately. I've walked for miles at DW wearing a pair of leather Taos sandals with no backs, and had no foot issues whatsoever. Sadly I left that pair behind at a B&B in Barcelona two years ago (sob). I also have a pair of Columbia slip on sandals that I've worn to Hawaii, Florida, San Diego, etc. and they are great. We're driving this year so I can take extra sandals as back ups and switch things up. The most important thing for me is that my feet can breathe.

That is why you to look into moisture wicking athletic socks. Trust me, once you try these you will discover dry feet are great.

Makes sense. But don't your feet just plain get hot wearing socks and full shoes in the hot summer months? Then again, I live in sandals from April-Oct and I live in Canada! LOL

Yeah I agree w Sweepea2011 as I go in the summer and like to have comfy cool feet during heat of day. I switch back and forth between my Keens during the day (lots of ventilation and dry quickly after water rides) and my ASICs at night.

Bring two pair of shoes so you can switch each day. Think supportive. So Asics, Aaucony, etc. For years I have brought my current walking shoes (which ever brand I am currently using) and a pair of mary jane Crocs for a sandal option. I know they are so out, but it just works for me, feels like walking on a cloud. I went through a year or two with plantar fasciitis and ended up buying some Orthaheel flip flops that I have used instead of the crocs. It's hard because some days you do feel like a sandal if it's really warm and they are easy for water rides. But in the end the most supportive -lace up, broken in shoe you have is best.

First off let me state I have a very very hard time finding shoes that fit due to my feet being so wide. When I find something that fits I buy several pairs. I cried when they discontinued the New Balance 1123.

I happened by The Walking Company and they did an analysis of my feet and how I was walking. They put me in the ABEO Lite Stealth walking shoe with arch supports that fit the way I walked. I have made several trips to Disneyland and toured Alaska in them and love them as they only weigh 6 oz, and one of the best things for me is don't make my wide feet feel clunky. As people had said you need to find the ones that feel right for you.
Thank you for this recommendation, I also have very wide feet but narrow heels. Buying shoes for me is a nightmare, I compare it to trying on bathing suits. I have had no luck finding running shoe stores but I just googled The Walking Company and we have one here! You have no idea how excited I am, lol! I was also a dedicated New Balance wearer but haven't been able to find the right pair for a couple of years. So again, thanks so much!

Reebok DMX sneakers. There are numerous styles but all use the same insole. I have used them for years because of arthritis in my knees. Only shoe I've found that absorbs the shock to the knees when walking.

New Balance shoes are the only way to go for me. I already have a lot of back problems, and that is hard enough to deal with, but when I started wearing NB shoes (with arch support) years ago at least my plantar fasciitis stopped giving me trouble too. I have not had any PF issues since I switched to NB.

I also swear by moisture-wicking socks. My feet are so blister-prone (and always have been) that those socks are necessary.

I'm also a shoe switcher... So is my daughter. Seems to be a key trick. We switch once a day, but twice a day might be even better.

Thank you for this recommendation, I also have very wide feet but narrow heels. Buying shoes for me is a nightmare, I compare it to trying on bathing suits. I have had no luck finding running shoe stores but I just googled The Walking Company and we have one here! You have no idea how excited I am, lol! I was also a dedicated New Balance wearer but haven't been able to find the right pair for a couple of years. So again, thanks so much!

Good Luck Wen, I hope they are able to find something that will work for you.

I normally can't walk into a shoe store and buy a pair of shoes, so was really excited when these fit so well. I usually wear a 2EE and ended up with just a wide there. Of course each of their orthotics is priced individually, but considering I usually have to pay $150+ for shoes the shoes and orthotics at WC weren't that much more. On our way home from a Disney trip I stopped to pick up a second pair and the sales clerk was telling me oh you can just order them online they are all made the same so they fit the same. I said I never have had a second shoe fit exactly like the the first but I had to admit he was right.

I switch back & forth between Brooks walking shoes & flip flops. I start out with the shoes on in the morning & then. Then, normally late afternoon, my feet will feel tired & kind of like their suffocating in the shoes. So, I switch to the flip flops & it's literally a breath of fresh air. I used to want to cut my feet off by the 2nd day of each visit & was in agony. But since I started switching mid day, I'm much more comfortable all the time.

croc mary janes aka Kaydee's. Waterproof and you can rinse them out. Love them!

I used to suffer from plantar fasciitis so bad that I would scream in pain. A friend recommended I try SAS shoes. I bought a pair and from the moment I put them on, I have never had any more pain. I didn't even have to break them in. SAS is all I wear now. Well worth the money.

I sear by Crocs and love the Mary Jane style Shayna. They are a little wide for my narrow feet, but this gives room for swelling feet in the hot weather. Also helps when it rains. They have a strap so they won't come off on rides where your feet dangle. I actually hate any type of sneakers. too hot and usually give me blisters. I also take a pair of Naturalizer sandals or walking shoes (for colder weather) just in case.

Another croc lover here. My husband swears by the originals, and I have a pair of Mary Jane's. We did 5 days with them and had no issues. I work retail anywhere from 8-10 hrs and wear Nikes. They have nothing on my crocs, almost wish I could wear then to work!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter