Best walking shoes?

As a marathon runner I find recommending a particular shoe brand to others difficult because what may work for me may not work for you. You may not be running a marathon but if you are like me you can also log a lot of miles just walking around the parks. It was a long process for me to find the correct type of shoe that works best for me for running my races and they also turned out to work well walking around the parks. Nevertheless what I discovered was visiting your local running store (not those big chain shoe stores in the mall) and tell them you are looking for a good walking shoe. A good running store will spend time with you and determine your walking style and recommend a several options. My local running store lets me try on new shoes and take them for a quick run around the block (no large chain shoe store will let you do that). I know this might be a bit much just to find a good pair of walking shoes but I just had to chime in.
This. It used to be a balancing act on vacation where I would alternate shoes every day. Then I finally went to a running store where the observed me walking, had me get on a treadmill and let me try on 3 different pairs, get on and off the treadmill, try on different left and right shoes and finally walk outside on concrete. The pair I picked based on comfort I probably would have passed over based on looks, but they felt good on the treadmill so I was willing to try them. And they sold me a pair for low friction socks. Yes, I could have found the pair a bought a little cheaper on Zappos or Amazon, but I thought it was worth it to pay for the service. I wore the pair that I got on the treadmill, then a 5K the next day, followed by a day in the parks, and back on the treadmill 2 days later with no rubbing, pain or any issues. So happy I finally tried it that way.

So much to think about, thank you all for the replies ::MickeyMo Guess I'll be locating a running store near by to see what they might offer up.

The best shoes are the ones you are currently training in. I've heard that folks can walk up to 10 miles per day at DLR. The worse thing you can do is go into that level of activity cold. No shoe, no matter how great, can make up for a body not ready for the pounding. Going to a running store is a great first step. They will get you into shoes that fit your feet best, but I would also encourage you to do some walking before your trip, as well.

The best shoes are the ones you are currently training in. I've heard that folks can walk up to 10 miles per day at DLR. The worse thing you can do is go into that level of activity cold. No shoe, no matter how great, can make up for a body not ready for the pounding. Going to a running store is a great first step. They will get you into shoes that fit your feet best, but I would also encourage you to do some walking before your trip, as well.

Thank you for the advice, I have started doing plenty of walking and that was when I started thinking my current shoes needed some upgrading. I'm up to 8 miles a day, but am trying to get that to at least 12, I really want to max out my days at the parks and not be miserable doing it!

I've actually found in my last trip that taking a couple different pairs of shoes/sneakers/flip flops that are broken in works well too. Changing it up takes pressure or rubbing off specific areas that happens when you wear only one pair.

Thank you for the advice, I have started doing plenty of walking and that was when I started thinking my current shoes needed some upgrading. I'm up to 8 miles a day, but am trying to get that to at least 12, I really want to max out my days at the parks and not be miserable doing it!

Holy cheese. Good for you! You are definitely past department store shoes with that level of activity. Hurry up and get some proper shoes.

I got the Go Walk 2's as well (the leopard print slip ons from QVC) for this trip. I also got a good pair of flip flops. That way I can alternate, all are lightweight for my bag, and will be super comfy.

I'm another who think shoes and whether or not they are gong to work well for you is a highly personal choice, but I wanted to throw out a recommendation for Danskos. I love my danskos and find them to work really well for me in the parks. I walk about 10 miles a day in the parks, and my danskos give me great support.

As others have said, different shoes work for different people. I really like my Skechers GOWalks. They are ridiculously comfortable and can be worn with or without socks depending on the weather. I've never gotten a blister in them and my feet don't even hurt after a long day of walking. When I go to the parks, I walk anywhere from 10-15 miles and that's typically only from 8AM-2PM.

Check out a store called Snail Pace. They scan your foot, watch how you walk or run, and then let you know which shoe would work best for you.
Worked best for me.
Just keep in mind that the shoes are not the most stylish.

It's nice to see so many GoWalk recommendations! I have a pair (with laces) that I wear for the zoo or other outings with the kids that require walking. I am planning on bringing them on our trip, or another pair if these don't last that long

I'm in Hawaii and live in flip flops but they're not supportive enough for all day walking for me. I have high arches and need something with some really good support

Just like with runners, different shoes work well for different people. Often I wear my Saucony Guide 7's (my runners) just because I know they give me the best support. Other times I wear my Reeboks because they're light weight, supportive, and breathe easily.

If you're doing a LOT of walking, I would encourage mixing up your shoes - either a different pair each day OR do a shoe switch when your feet start getting tired. Standing a lot will cause achy arches and balls of your feet - and even if your shoes are comfy walking long distances now, you can't estimate what they'll feel like after long periods of standing in line, etc. Switching them up will take pressure off "hot spot" areas and will keep you from blisters!

When touring the parks, I wear Converse Chuck Taylors or Inov-8s, and then halfway through the day I switch into Sanuk flip flops.

Also, if you wear socks - your socks are JUST as important as your shoes when you spend a lot of time on your feet! You're putting in some great mileage, so get some great socks (again, if you wear them with your shoes!) and break those in a couple of times before your trip.

I wear slip on Go Walks almost daily at work. I also wore them my last few trips to DL. They work fine for me.

First off let me state I have a very very hard time finding shoes that fit due to my feet being so wide. When I find something that fits I buy several pairs. I cried when they discontinued the New Balance 1123.

I happened by The Walking Company and they did an analysis of my feet and how I was walking. They put me in the ABEO Lite Stealth walking shoe with arch supports that fit the way I walked. I have made several trips to Disneyland and toured Alaska in them and love them as they only weigh 6 oz, and one of the best things for me is don't make my wide feet feel clunky. As people had said you need to find the ones that feel right for you.

Thank you all for such great advice. I did stop by a specialty store and after a walk analysis they suggested a pair of Asics. I think I'll take those along with my GoWalks and alternate in the park as many of you have done. 42 days to go!!!!

ABSOLUTELY gowalks. If you can get arch support inserts or whatever it is you need, they're great! I wore mine with nothing but I'm young so perhaps I get away with more.

I brought basic running shoes and my gowalks and intended to switch between them, but ended up with my gowalks almost the whole time. Running shoes are too structured on top for me and they caused rubbing which led to awful blisters. I had almost no blisters and no rubbing when wearing my gowalks because they're soft material on top.

I wear a variety of brands of shoes/sneakers but I really love the new balance insoles. At the new balance store they have a machine that measures your pressure points and can recommend the correct insole. I stand and walk all day and those insoles really make a difference.

So I am curious as to what type of shoes you all take to the parks with you? I've been trying to research some comfortable walking shoes, and I have recently purchased a pair of the Skechers GoWalk 2 shoes, but I am not sure how well they will hold up if I'm spending 9 hours or so in the parks for a week. Is there a different brand/type you would recommend, or has anyone worn these shoes and can speak for their durability and comfort?

Thank you!!!

I have had 4 back surgeries and still have nerve damage and back trouble. I swear by my Go Walks. I have worn the Go Walk 2 and 3 for 15+ hours, many times. My feet get a little tired at the end of the day but my back feels pretty good!

I have fibromyalgia, so everyday walking is painful! I used to only wear Crocs at Disneyland. Last year, I discovered J-41 shoes. They have a soft footbed like Crocs, and they come in lots of styles! The kind I have are water shoes, so I never had to worry about my feet getting wet on rides. I can never wear tennis shoes of any kind, with any sock at Disneyland. I get blisters immediately! I also found the Capri style of Crocs flipflops have lots of support, and I can wear those as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter