Best wishes to Finley (Corey’s daughter)

Sorry to hear she is still in pain. Hopefully her doctor's can get that under control soon.

I know it does not help you at all because obviously watching your child in pain is a horrific experience but in all likelihood she will not remember any of this afterwards.

After my Harrington rid surgery I was in the hospital for 10 days and the first 6 days of it I have no recollection of- even right after. I didn't recall any of it. Any pain medicine they tried to give me made me violently ill. They couldn't give me anything stronger than regular Tylenol. To this day I can't take anything stronger than prescription Aleve.

I know how hard this is on you and your family and I'm wishing you all the best.

Thanks for taking the time to come back to provide an update. You definitely have a lot on your plate right now but know that there are a lot of people praying for your daughter to make a speedy, painless recovery!

The Martin family looks like a strong family, and we know that Finley will come back stronger and healthier wishing you nothing but love from us

We appreciate all of the good wishes. Finely is still in the hospital recovering and is in a tremendous amount of pain, but hopefully, she'll get to come home soon.
Sending her all the healing vibes ❤️‍🩹 it is so hard to see our kids in pain 😢. I hope she's able to come home soon and that you and Julie have the support to make sure you get some rest yourselves . 🫂

Not sure what the surgery was, but hope it was successful and that Finley and the rest of the family are doing well.
I had scoliosis surgery when I was 13 and as an adult and parent I realize now it was 1000x harder on my parents then it was me. I can't imagine the fear and stress they were under. I feel for Corey and hope all is well.
This was a spinal fusion to correct her severe scoliosis.
IMG_9273.jpg

This was a spinal fusion to correct her severe scoliosis.
IMG_9273.jpg
Well it looks great now! Mine was done for the same reason. I forget the degree it was at the time of surgery, and despite wearing a brace from when I was age 6-12.5 (they let me have 6 months of no brace before the surgery) the curve was very severe and there was no option other than surgery.

As I said I was in the hospital 10 days, a body cast for 7 of those and then the lovely Milwaukee brace 24/7 for 10 months. I believe they spare kids the brace afterwards now?

Actually I kid about it being horrible, it really wasn't. Even though I was in junior high nobody teased me or harassed me or anything. Everyone in my grade pretty much knew I wore the Boston brace prior, so even though the Milwaukee brace was actually visible it wasn't a huge deal. And it got me out of PE for a year, so silver lining.

As an adult now, almost 40 years post surgery it is hardly on my radar. My back feels great (I know that is a concern my parents had), I am obviously not very flexible with 2 metal rods in my spine, but my posture is good, no slouching around here.

The time of my surgery is nothing but a blur to me, the main thing I remember from my time in the hospital is my friends coming to see me, my cousin hanging up posters from Wham! in my room for me to look at and the tilt table from PT. I don't harbor any memories of the pain, being sick from the meds or anything. I think your mind erases that for you. I doubt Finley will remember it either, at least I hope so.

That year after surgery there wasn't anything brace wise that was too memorable either. Except my best friend not realizing I got my brace off. I didn't tell anyone because I hadn't known they were going to be taking it off at my doctor's appointment. I thought it was just my normal monthly check up. The next morning when I went to school and I didn't have my brace on I was hanging out my best friend before school - we were together for like an hour working on homework in the library. She never noticed. Suddenly another friend of ours came in and yelled "hey you got your brace off!" my best friend just looked at me and was stunned. She become so used to seeing me in it she didn't even notice it anymore.

I know this was long and kind of rambly but I know my mom had said she wished she had been able to meet somebody older that had had the surgery and know that everything was going to be fine. She had been a Hospice nurse and she had seen what happened when people didn't have the surgery but not anyone who had. She told me many years later she was always worried it would impact my quality of life somehow and it really hasn't.

I know there are a lot of negative horrible things you are witnessing as a parent. It is horrible to see your child suffering in pain and worrying about them but honestly I don't think Finley will remember the hospital stay and if she does it's going to be a blip in her radar pretty soon. She will have other things that squash out any negative memories. I wish you all lots of love and luck and peace!

Oh, one thing I was concerned about as a child was would I be able to ride rides. I love roller coasters but they have all those warning signs about not riding if you have a back injury. I can positively say I can ride anything and everything with no back problems at all. Even the Matterhorn. Not sure if anyone in your family was worried about that, but since I had just been to DL for the first time prior to my surgery that was my 13 year old self's primary concern
But all good here, in fact I am the only one in my family who will ride everything at DL or WDW except the Scaris Wheel at California Adventure, but that is not a back thing, that is purely my brain telling me that ride is terrifying. 🤪

I doubt I can be any help but if you do have any questions or anything let me know I'm happy to try to answer and offer any insight that you might want.

Sending good wishes and healing vibes to Finley and your family, Corey.

Well it looks great now! Mine was done for the same reason. I forget the degree it was at the time of surgery, and despite wearing a brace from when I was age 6-12.5 (they let me have 6 months of no brace before the surgery) the curve was very severe and there was no option other than surgery.

As I said I was in the hospital 10 days, a body cast for 7 of those and then the lovely Milwaukee brace 24/7 for 10 months. I believe they spare kids the brace afterwards now?

Actually I kid about it being horrible, it really wasn't. Even though I was in junior high nobody teased me or harassed me or anything. Everyone in my grade pretty much knew I wore the Boston brace prior, so even though the Milwaukee brace was actually visible it wasn't a huge deal. And it got me out of PE for a year, so silver lining.

As an adult now, almost 40 years post surgery it is hardly on my radar. My back feels great (I know that is a concern my parents had), I am obviously not very flexible with 2 metal rods in my spine, but my posture is good, no slouching around here.

The time of my surgery is nothing but a blur to me, the main thing I remember from my time in the hospital is my friends coming to see me, my cousin hanging up posters from Wham! in my room for me to look at and the tilt table from PT. I don't harbor any memories of the pain, being sick from the meds or anything. I think your mind erases that for you. I doubt Finley will remember it either, at least I hope so.

That year after surgery there wasn't anything brace wise that was too memorable either. Except my best friend not realizing I got my brace off. I didn't tell anyone because I hadn't known they were going to be taking it off at my doctor's appointment. I thought it was just my normal monthly check up. The next morning when I went to school and I didn't have my brace on I was hanging out my best friend before school - we were together for like an hour working on homework in the library. She never noticed. Suddenly another friend of ours came in and yelled "hey you got your brace off!" my best friend just looked at me and was stunned. She become so used to seeing me in it she didn't even notice it anymore.

I know this was long and kind of rambly but I know my mom had said she wished she had been able to meet somebody older that had had the surgery and know that everything was going to be fine. She had been a Hospice nurse and she had seen what happened when people didn't have the surgery but not anyone who had. She told me many years later she was always worried it would impact my quality of life somehow and it really hasn't.

I know there are a lot of negative horrible things you are witnessing as a parent. It is horrible to see your child suffering in pain and worrying about them but honestly I don't think Finley will remember the hospital stay and if she does it's going to be a blip in her radar pretty soon. She will have other things that squash out any negative memories. I wish you all lots of love and luck and peace!

Oh, one thing I was concerned about as a child was would I be able to ride rides. I love roller coasters but they have all those warning signs about not riding if you have a back injury. I can positively say I can ride anything and everything with no back problems at all. Even the Matterhorn. Not sure if anyone in your family was worried about that, but since I had just been to DL for the first time prior to my surgery that was my 13 year old self's primary concern
But all good here, in fact I am the only one in my family who will ride everything at DL or WDW except the Scaris Wheel at California Adventure, but that is not a back thing, that is purely my brain telling me that ride is terrifying. 🤪

I doubt I can be any help but if you do have any questions or anything let me know I'm happy to try to answer and offer any insight that you might want.
Thank you so much for sharing! It is of great help to those of us who have a kid who will be going through it. Do you know how much of your spine was fused?

Thank you so much for sharing! It is of great help to those of us who have a kid who will be going through it. Do you know how much of your spine was fused?
I just texted my mom to ask her how long the rods are and about what my curve was, because I don't remember. I had an "s" curve. The rods are really long though, but I don't set off metal detectors. I think my curve is down to 12 degrees post surgery which they were very pleased with.
I know there are 2 rods, the scar goes from the top of my back (just below where a ring neck tee covers) to about 3 inches above my butt. I know they had to take part of one of my other bones for something, maybe grafting?, and that scar has mostly gone but it was on my hip.

****ETA****" My mom actually found my discharge papers. My fusion was from T4-L3. I honestly don't know what that means, but I remember from the X-rays that the rods seemed super long.
My curve was 72 degrees when they did surgery. It had jumped from 24 to 48 in one year which is when they decided to do surgery and by the time surgery happened a year later it was 72.

Last edited:
My mom says she thinks 5 vertebrae were actually fused together but the rods go almost the entire back. My curve was 72 degrees when they did surgery. It had jumped from 24 to 48 in one year which is when they decided to do surgery and by the time surgery happened a year later it was 72.
I am so happy to hear you are not in any pain! My daughter's is 80 degrees and she will have her surgery next June... we just scheduled it. It took her a long time to get to the point of accepting surgery now she looks forward to getting taller!

I am so happy to hear you are not in any pain! My daughter's is 80 degrees and she will have her surgery next June... we just scheduled it. It took her a long time to get to the point of accepting surgery now she looks forward to getting taller!
I wish her all the luck in the world! I did grow almost 2 inches, but ended up shrinking .5 within a year. Still a 1.5 inch gain was pretty good. Let her know that she won't remember the bad stuff and the recovery will be over before she knows it. Just make sure she does any and all.exercises the PT recommends. I was up and around the second I was released from the hospital.
The only issue I have is that certain cars are uncomfortable to sit in. Just one brand seems to hit my back wrong, but not a big deal. I do turn the headrest of my car around backwards on the driver's seat as well.
If you have any other questions or anything feel free to message me, I feel bad hijacking this thread.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter