Big Fire at Universal Hollywood right now!

I'm just watching this on the news now, it looks under control but the New York street is practically gone. Aparently the film vault is under threat, I hope everything will be OK.

I saw this on the Today show a few minutes ago; they said it was 3 alarms. As a PP said, the film vault is threatened and the NY Street scene is what is on fire. I think they also said some of the rides have damage.

Edit: MSNBC is now saying the film vault is on fire. :(

OMG...sad :worried: The King Kong ride is gone...thank you for the link.

I just saw this on Eyewitness News ABC & they interviewed the Fire Chief at Universal Studios on camera.

King Kong is part of the backlot, which is down the hill.

Universal Studios can be broken in three parts -- the section up on the hill, some soundstages & rides down the hill to the left, and the backlot tram tour to the right.

The backlot is what is on fire, and it's been contained to 4-5 buildings. New York Street on fire right now, as is the King Kong exhibit, as stated earlier. Also, a soundstage is gone. They are worried about the film vault.

They also said that Universal Studios will be open to the public. :eek:

How sad!!

Report from CNN:

There were also reports of an explosion in the studio's adjacent amusement park, said Los Angeles County Fire Capt. Frank Reynoso.

The three-alarm blaze began about 4:45 a.m. PT (7:45 a.m. ET) Sunday and reportedly damaged two "prop" buildings, including a chapel, and a popular ride called the "Cyclone," Reynoso said.

"It will be awhile before we have it under control," he said.

Television footage showed the blaze burning through the roofs of structures at the park and large plumes of smoke.

Firefighters were dropping water on the blaze from helicopters.

this really blows..... do you guys think they will still have the tram tour for my June 16 trip? I wonder if they will do away with it completely for awhile because King Kong is not apart of it... the studio tour is afterall the main attraction at USH

aww mannnnnn :confused3

Hi gang,
As of right now, its at 5 alarms but expected to go higher to a 6th alarm. They are losing control of the fire and are calling in for more back up, fire companys as far of 45 minutes away are enroute. There are reports of some explosions and at least one building has collapsed, losing its roof. At least 3 blocks of the back lot is gone and as of right now there is still several buildings on fire with one being completely engulfed. Rumors are that the king kong ride is affected and the flim vault is on fire, but as of right now that cannot be confirmed. As of right now there are no report of injurys.

this info comes from a fire dept board, where mulitble listeners are monitoring Fire dept radio operations via scanners. God speed to my brothers in the fire dept in cali, may they stay safe!!

As of right now on the news w/the fire chief...

Film Vault under question. They are not releasing that info.
King Kong...gone
Soundstage- Ghost Whisperer gone

Looks like they will open up the park but the tram is questionable.

woke up & saw it this am:(

wonder if the studio tour will still be running/detoured:confused: the main reason we were considering for end of month trip toopopcorn::

They are saying 5 buildings are lost including Earthquake and King Kong. The video vault is on fire where the copies are kept, not the origional ones. They are not opening the studios until mid day now as there is still one building on fire. They are holding a press conference in 10 mins.

Thank you for the update mrFDNY. Bless your brothers.

US is supposed to open today. The upper lot seems to be unaffected, as well as the lower lot. These are where the shows & rides are.

The back lot is the one that is affected, and that is where the tour is held. We'll find out if it is partially open, or if they will just dedicate the summer to rebuilding it.

That is a real shame about the video vault.

OMG :(

is back to the future town square area ok still?

I heard several times that the Back to the Future which is now the Ghost Whisperer set has burned. Which is VERY sad to me both because of BTTF AND GW. I watch it now and I hope it doesn't keep the show off the air.

Not to mention the sentamentality of BTTF.

Hopefully they will say in the press conference.

Whatever it is all VERY sad! :(

I heard several times that the Back to the Future which is now the Ghost Whisperer set has burned. Which is VERY sad to me both because of BTTF AND GW. I watch it now and I hope it doesn't keep the show off the air.

Not to mention the sentamentality of BTTF.

Hopefully they will say in the press conference.

Whatever it is all VERY sad! :(

Shoot - I had forgotten about that set. It's been in soooo many movies & shows. What a shame. I remember when it was used for Gremlins, too

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter