Big Fire at Universal Hollywood right now!

According to their website the studio tour will continue to be operational, so they may just skip the damaged bits (or even make it part of the tour). I've read in a couple places that a popular ride called the "cyclone" is dstroyed - what the heck rides is this? I cant find it on the website, wikipedia, anywhere. Did they mean King Kong but misquoted?

Was the Cyclone a spinning tunnel the trams ride through??

And King Kong was not damaged, it was totally distroyed. :(

Was the Cyclone a spinning tunnel the trams ride through??

And King Kong was not damaged, it was totally distroyed. :(

Yeah, there was a spinning tunnnel that you went in on the Tram tour that was meant to be a cursed cave or something from the Mummy Movie, but there isn't a ride called 'cyclone' there, unless it opened very recently.

I think they are referring to the tunnel. Years ago, it used to be an avalanche...back in the 70's and 80's.

thanks for posting all the pics to put it into perspective:thumbsup2

today show was there live, u could still see the courthouse in the distance standing...said the clock tower had been removed for a movie they were shooting...really wanted to see it (& Kong)...hope it can be restored or rebuilt:wizard:

as stated previously,vet of Orlando park, my main intent to visit USH was the tour...with the damaged sections obviously off-limits...would you say it's still "worth it"...as in lots of other things to see on the tour?popcorn::

USH really has it's own charm. I think it's still worth a visit, even though the backlot tour has to be rerouted...

We are going on Father's day.

USH really has it's own charm. I think it's still worth a visit, even though the backlot tour has to be rerouted...

We are going on Father's day.

can u post back as to how things go for u?:)

just hate to skip a day of our prepaid DL tix/time/$s if the tour is really abbreviated

There's still LOTS to see on the backlot - the areas damaged are relatively small considering the total area they have. I've been on the tram tour several times when they were shooting near to the Kong building (back in 2004 - may have been XXX2? I can't remember for sure...) and therefore our tram did not drive through the building. Instead, they just rerouted the tram and we saw things that aren't normally a part of the studio tour. My guess is that they'll do something similar until the damaged areas are rebuilt. With that said, I'd definitely say it's still worth a visit. :)

can u post back as to how things go for u?:)

just hate to skip a day of our prepaid DL tix/time/$s if the tour is really abbreviated

Heh... the backlot tour was low on our list of things to do, I'll see if I can talk the family into it, and post.

thanks for posting all the pics to put it into perspective:thumbsup2

today show was there live, u could still see the courthouse in the distance standing...said the clock tower had been removed for a movie they were shooting...really wanted to see it (& Kong)...hope it can be restored or rebuilt:wizard:

as stated previously,vet of Orlando park, my main intent to visit USH was the tour...with the damaged sections obviously off-limits...would you say it's still "worth it"...as in lots of other things to see on the tour?popcorn::

you mean the court house is still standing? thats great news if true!

you mean the court house is still standing? thats great news if true!

yep, king kong is totally gone

here's a link...go all the way near the 3 min mark where al roker is speaking & he say's it's still standing::yes::

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24916515/

im not sure if the link will work as posted, if not just go to msnbc site & bring up huge fire burns movie sets at Universal

Its sooo sad that so much has been lost but its nice to see the court house was saved...by the sounds of it only just.... :worried:

This is horrible news I really hope Universal is able to rebuild the sets and the King Kong attraction. Thankfully the video vault was only copies.

well they think they lost master copies of old music to movies that they dont think they have copies of

So sad that King Kong was lost and the clock tower saved. I actually visited the park last Sept and I have to say this was just a little part that was destroyed so if anyone thinks they should not take the tour please rethink because it is a huge lot with lots to see.

I wonder if Orlando still has Kong in their possession here. The last time I heard it was in storage. That would be cool if they can refurb him to use in the UH tram part again.

This is so sad! :( We have been debating going to Universal this September before we go to Disneyland. King Kong was one of my favorites. It was the whole reason I went on the tram tour. Luckily, I got to see it one last time in 2006 and before that in 2004.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter